2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 331 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is that speculation or some inside knowledge? Polina sure doesn't let out what's going on on social media. If she could get that foot injury under control and get her two toe jumps back, she'd be competitive in the U.S., no question. But, oh those jumps . . .

It's purely speculation on all our parts. Polina hasn't mentioned one way or the other whether or not she plans to continue.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
After Polina withdrew from the ladies’ free skate at the U.S. championships, she said that she and her team would have to find a way of addressing the problems she was having. The implication was that she didn’t want to go down the same path again if it led inevitably to a recurrence of the injury and an inability to skate competitive programs.

The pity is that, were it not for the injury, she would have been not only competitive but a decided favorite. Even as flawed as they were in performance, her programs last season reflected a continuing development of her artistic sensibility. The short program had an austere elegance, while the long was lyrical and romantic. Both played to her love of the dance.

Her continuing problems with her right foot, however, meant that the technical content of her programs was compromised and, finally, that the long program couldn’t be performed at all at the nationals, given that it included the two toe jumps.

Earlier this year, in an interview with a student publication of Santa Clara University, where she is a full-time student, she indicated her intention to continue competing and to devote herself entirely to figure skating when she graduated. No doubt she hopes to do so. Certainly the splendor of the skating scene would be diminished by that much, were she not able to.

andromache

Record Breaker
Polina's injury issues are a total mystery to me. Who knew a bone bruise could turn into something so long-term?

Pre-injury, I think Polina was hungry and motivated. Post-injury, I think Polina has discovered that life outside the rink is pretty fun, and she might be less willing to put in the time and effort required to compete at the level she used to. Which is a major bummer for US skating.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
As I'm currently nursing a painful flare-up of an old foot injury, I totally understand and sympathize completely if Polina doesn't want to risk a recurrence of her own injury. Any chronic pain is no fun at all but it's a special kind of hell when it hurts to walk. I can't imagine wanting to jump!
That said, it would be really sad if she had to retire without reaching her full potential as a skater.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Polina will have to do summer competitions and “compete” for the SA spot. If she doesn’t have lutz or flip and a fully rotated 3-3 it’s not going to happen. I’m just going to put this out there, I think Starr Andrews will be given the SA spot, assuming she has 3lutz back, I don’t see anyone else that could take it. (Only if Amber Glenn magically gains some sort of consistency, which I would love bc I am a huge fan of her skating but)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I had a recurring hip injury and I finally to stop dancing professionally because of it. However, my injury was to my hip flexor muscle. I can't imagine what it must be like to have pain in your bone. I'm sure it's on her landing leg which makes it even worse. I feel sorry for her, I really do.

klutzy

On the Ice
I did some reading up on bone bruises a while ago. It sounded like the real issue is that a bruise could lead to a navicular fracture which is a serious career-ending injury for a skater, since the injury is slow to heal and one fracture can lead to another. Pressure on the toe is a big contributing factor--so it's something also seen in jumpers and sprinters.

So, basically, too many toe jumps is an issue for Polina because it would stress the point of injury. It sounds like finding a workaround that doesn't stress that bone/muscle connection has been the problem. Sounds like it's limited the amount of time she can practice on a given day.

If Polina had her flip and lutz back, I do think she'd get the SA spot over Starr Andrews who has some technical issues with actual skating.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Mariah performed exactly as expected today. Exactly. I don’t understand........

I’m really curious as to what music bradie will pick next season. Something tells me we’re not going to know until the last minute, considering all the vitriol she received about Cinderella. She might not want to say until she has to. Will she take advice from USFSA?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I’m really curious as to what music bradie will pick next season. Something tells me we’re not going to know until the last minute, considering all the vitriol she received about Cinderella. She might not want to say until she has to. Will she take advice from USFSA?

I think Bradie and her team will seek out a good choreographer for next season. She really needed to stay in her comfort zone this year so she could focus on technical execution. Now that she's skating with more confidence than ever, I think you'll see her exploring different types of programs to find her artistic identity.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I could see Bradie doing well with a program that is a lot more fierce. Cinderella is just too saccharine and I don’t think it fits her that well besides that? Would like to see something that brings out that inner fire.
A little sad about Mariah. Was really hoping she would skate her best here. I don’t think Raf is the best fit for her - I think she would do better with a coach that’s not so cold towards her and he probably doesn’t give her the attention she needs.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Bradie did well. Hope she stays in the top 7. I am sad about Mariah as well. She has been nailing it in practice. It's quite a shame.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I love Alysa too. Hoping she can survive puberty. I think Ting could really challenge too. They are both glimmers of hope.

I think her body type may be a good one for surviving puberty tbh. Plus she already has stellar jump technique. With that kind of technique early on, it should be easy for her to survive puberty.

What's the month for 13 years cut-off for international Juniors circuit? I guess she doesn't cut it since she was born in August. :(

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Nope. Has to wait until 2019-2020. But the Russian trio won't be junior eligible then and the 2004-Russian trio will be seniors by then, so she's got a good shot...

tosca

On the Ice
I know that Mirai didn't go for the 3A and her 3T on her 3F-3T was << but I will say, quality wise, it was the best I have seen from her this season. The musicality, the interpretation.

I hope she goes clean in the freeskate!

Too bad about Mariah though... Good job Bradie!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a feeling this is Mirai's swan song. I just hope she has a good FS to end her career.