2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 110 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do understand why people feel disappointed in her choice. But if it boosts her confidence, helps her focus on good technique, and lets her perform with the emotional depth and resonance she's so marvelous at, I'm for it.

If repeating MR for a *third* season is what it will take for Wagner to get her jumps and spins in order - which, after last season, she needs to do - then so be it.

Other than her being a US skater I am otherwise not invested in her nor am I partial to her; therefore it doesn’t really matter to me what happens with her in regards to music or choreo. (At least on the competitive side - show pieces are a different story). If it gets her points, thumbs up. If she’s able to get on the Olympic team, good for her - if not, we’ll have three other perfectly capable representatives. And BTW this goes for all the other US women too.

frida80

Record Breaker
Apparently (I got it from FSU right now) Karen has changed her FS to "Slow dancing in the big city". Off to search the music...

I just saw it! I agree that her FS wasn’t working for her, but changing the entire program?! Wow!

That said, She choreographed it herself. Last year, I fell in love with her choreography to both her SP and LP. I think she will connect much better with these programs now. Though, I wish she had done this a month ago.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
There was a picture posted about regionals; apparently Emily Chan made the podium and is headed for sectionals. And it looks like Vivian Lee won. Lol, both girls’ dresses were inspired by Mirai.
Who are the other girls on the podium?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There was a picture posted about regionals; apparently Emily Chan made the podium and is headed for sectionals. And it looks like Vivian Lee won. ... .
Who are the other girls on the podium?

Lest anyone get confused:

- Her name is Vivian Le, not Lee.
Vivian won Southwest Pacific Regionals.
Vanna Giang placed second; Alexis Gagnon third; Elena Pulkinen fourth.
If you have a link to a photo of the Southwest Pacific podium, I hope you will share it. (I have not seen a photo.)

- Brynne McIsaac won Southwestern Regionals.
Emily Chan placed second; Avery Kurtz third; Lydia Menscher fourth.
Photo of the Southwestern podium:

ETA: Forgot to say Congratulations to all who advanced. :)

Thanks to gsk8 and Doris for the GS regionals threads.

Good luck to Mirai :yay: and Karen :yay: at Rostelecom.

ETA: Mariah, not Karen. Thanks to frida for correcting me below.​

frida80

Record Breaker
Lest anyone get confused:

- Her name is Vivian Le, not Lee.
Vivian won Southwest Pacific Regionals.
Vanna Giang placed second; Alexis Gagnon third; Elena Pulkinen fourth.
If you have a link to a photo of the Southwest Pacific podium, I hope you will share it. (I have not seen a photo.)

- Brynne McIsaac won Southwestern Regionals.
Emily Chan placed second; Avery Kurtz third; Lydia Menscher fourth.
Photo of the Southwestern podium:

Thanks to gsk8 and Doris for the GS regionals threads.

Good luck to Mirai :yay: and Karen :yay: at Rostelecom.

It's not Karen it's Mariah. Karen is at SC next week.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That movie score is by Bill Conti, who did scores for Rocky, For Your Eyes Only (James Bond film) and The Right Stuff, which won him an Oscar. Good move by Karen!

I always loved this piece of music and felt it is underused. It was popular in the 1980s - here are links to two ice dance programs that used it...

Petra Born & Rainer Schoenberg (FRG) 1985 Worlds - https://youtu.be/VfrrftRfAek

Carol Fox & Richard Dalley (USA) 1981 Worlds - https://youtu.be/VEuCsm8CdHo
also 1980 NHK Trophy which they won (3rd piece of music) https://youtu.be/Y6cRZFRt3cc
(now if someone will reuse & update the 2nd piece of music from Capricorn One another guilty pleasure will come true)

Enjoy!

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
As soon as you hear the theme, you will recognize it; used by a number of skaters in the past. I wasn't familiar with the title, but knew the music immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBDe3OxWWw

Thanks! :) I'm glad that this is not overused like Carmen, though; when so many skaters have done it in the past it is more difficult to bring out sometive truly original (though not impossible, V/M docet).

mrrice

Record Breaker
That movie score is by Bill Conti, who did scores for Rocky, For Your Eyes Only (James Bond film) and The Right Stuff, which won him an Oscar. Good move by Karen!

Bill Conti also composed some music for the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. This song called "Power" was a song I thought would have worked for Keegan Messing when he was skating for the US. Power by Bill Conti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-RlgbBj4Q

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Fantastic move by Karen. I like her short but the long was possibly the worst program we have seen from her thus far. I love her so much, she may even be my favorite US lady, so I am very very happy that she is doing something lyrical and pretty as I think she suits music like this so well. My only concern is if she will have adaquete time to train this new program and be confident with it by the grand prix. USFSA is really pushing "body of work" so she needs, at the very least, one medal on the grand prix(accomponied by a top 5 finish at the other.) BEST OF LUCK KAREN!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
As soon as you hear the theme, you will recognize it; used by a number of skaters in the past. I wasn't familiar with the title, but knew the music immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKBDe3OxWWw

Yes! I love this music. Does anyone remember who has skated to this? I'm thinking Jeri Campbell, or maybe even Kristi Yamaguchi? I just wish that Karen would go back to On Golden Pond for her SP. It is an iconic program, something that people who watch skating every four years would remember. I love this music to SDITBC. Will be on repeat all night.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is probably a good move competively for Ashley to go back to Moulin rouge. The scoring system really does not take into consideration that you have used the music before or that it is used over and over ie Carmen which is why I don't understand why Chan isnt reusing at least one program.

Really Ashley has a decent chance to medal at the olympics. Alina is young and inexperienced. Anna P is a mess and seems to have issues wit the injury and or lack of training with her pulling out of events. Radinova and Liza T are not nearly as strong as they once were. Maria S is blah but consistent. The Canadians (Kaetlyn and Gabby) are not know for consistency or competing well under pressure). She is stronger than Kostner technically and probably no. 2 pcs if on. Satoko is a question mark and the other Japanese ladies are young and relatively inexperienced. And with Gracie apparently gone or undertrained at the very least the door is open for Wagner. Didn't Viktor Petrenko use I believe Carmen three times before winning OGM or something like that. Ashley could win it all. ( All those negative nellies will say yes, but it is possible 3 Russians, 2 Japanese, 2 Canadians and Kostner and an American could also beat her puting her as low as tenth or even lower if a Korean, Chinese or the third American beat her.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Isn't Bill Conti who did all those tv theme songs including Dynasty? This should awayke Mrrice. he seems to be our retro dude. He knows everything or seems to have lived through the eras.

Actually Mike Post is responsible for Magum P.I. and a couple of the other popular TV theme song from my Era. Here's Magnum P.I. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIgXhiOpeQ

The Rockford Files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d41cAOmcuxk

He also composed the theme to Hill Street Blue's.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Isn't Bill Conti who did all those tv theme songs including Dynasty? This should awayke Mrrice. he seems to be our retro dude. He knows everything or seems to have lived through the eras.

I resemble that remark, too! Yes, he did Dynasty and The Colbys theme songs. Another one too, was it Knots Landing or Falcon Crest? (I watched them all in the early 80s, thank god for VHS by then!) Besides that and Rocky I couldn't tell you what else he's done.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
USFSA is really pushing "body of work" so she needs, at the very least, one medal on the grand prix(accomponied by a top 5 finish at the other.) BEST OF LUCK KAREN!

I know that USFSA is pushing that, but it remains to be seen how that is going to work. I'd be pretty disappointed if 4th at Worlds and one GP medal would get a skater essentially a bye to the Olympics. Those would be good results, but there may end up being a lot of bad results mixed in, and I think it's only fair to consider both. Aside from Mirai, the top US women have essentially the same scoring potential, so it isn't a situation like Nathan's where sending him over others makes sense because of the point tallies he can accrue. I think it's fine if USFSA wants to consider multiple events, but there is still too much vagueness in the selection process, and unfortunately I think that's intentional so the USFSA can do whatever it wants to.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I know that USFSA is pushing that, but it remains to be seen how that is going to work. I'd be pretty disappointed if 4th at Worlds and one GP medal would get a skater essentially a bye to the Olympics. Those would be good results, but there may end up being a lot of bad results mixed in, and I think it's only fair to consider both. Aside from Mirai, the top US women have essentially the same scoring potential, so it isn't a situation like Nathan's where sending him over others makes sense because of the point tallies he can accrue. I think it's fine if USFSA wants to consider multiple events, but there is still too much vagueness in the selection process, and unfortunately I think that's intentional so the USFSA can do whatever it wants to.

She is also the reigning national champ and recieved a bronze at US classic, Senior B's are listed as part of your body of work. Japan Open on the other hand is actually not, so her sixth place finish there does not even factor in to the selection process. So far she is being looked at as the reiging National champ, fourth place at worlds, U.S. Classic bronze medalist, GP results TBD, Nationals results TBD.

Icey

Record Breaker
Obviously a skater coming up from the junior ranks will not have the body of work (or comparable body of work) that a Wagner, etc. has. Hardly seems fair that might automatically eliminate them from the possibility of being on the team.