2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 201 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What Skatefan said....:clap: Who said it much better than I could!

Ashley alone kept the US competitive in the last 10 years, and that to me is undisputable. She has been able to accomplish so much and with technical flaws. I just hope one day her legacy is elevated and that she's remembered for being fierce for the US.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The U.S. ladies and their program switching.

Okay, Mirai, I expect a post that you're going back to Pirates now. :laugh:
(Okay I know that's not going to happen, but hey I'm up for a laugh).

skatefan17

On the Ice
Looking for attention? Of course she is! You need to sparkle to be a top lady. I think she stagnated this year and realizes we are not here for Moulin Rouge 3.0. Smart move, I am now so excited to see Nationals!

temadd

Final Flight
I personally think she's looking for attention since she knows eyes aren't really on her right now.

Absolutely not. That would be a crazy reason to change programs. Ashley does not need to do things to get attention. She is in all of the Olympic commercials, she is the star in a Bridgestone commercial, she has several more sponsorships and she just signed on for a 22 city tour with Stars on Ice. For a figure skater in this country, it doesn't get much better than that.

Also her appearance in the body issue of ESPN mag gets her LOTS of attention

evasorange

Final Flight
WOW I cannot believe she is going "back" to La La! Its what she should have done all along...:palmf: well, she's really got nothing to lose now, might as well do what she wants. And the weakened state of the other US ladies might work in her favor...no one really has a "stand out" program imo. I'm assuming she had learned most of if not all of the program this summer so I don't think its as an extreme decision as Karen trying to learn an all new lp two weeks before competition...but I would be lying I said I wasn't kind of worried a month isn't enough time to truly learn this program. BUT on the other hand I'm so excited we actually get to see it now! I adore la la land and have always thought it would be a showstopper for Ashley!

temadd

Final Flight
Ashley alone kept the US competitive in the last 10 years, and that to me is undisputable. She has been able to accomplish so much and with technical flaws. I just hope one day her legacy is elevated and that she's remembered for being fierce for the US.

Exactly, we shouldn't blame Ashley for the lack of internationally competitive young US skaters. She has done her part for a long time. Imagine the past 6 years without her.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In all seriousness, I think it's a good move.

Agreed. Things aren't going well, for whatever reason. It's do or die time. Changing things up isn't necessarily that great a risk, and it could play to her benefit.

Weathergal

Medalist
It crossed my mind that her big announcement might be going back to "La La Land," but then I thought I was just projecting my hopes on her...

I'm glad. I think that she needed the spark, and I while I understand some of her reasons for doing Moulin 3.0, I honestly don't think it was really doing her that many favors. In with the new and wishing her a great Nationals!

ETA: Just had another thought: Ashley does look great in yellow! Just sayin' :agree:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow .... in all the wondering about what Ashley's big change would be, I'm surprised at myself for not at least making this guess .... Back to LaLaLand! I must say I'm thrilled. I think it'll be a great crowd-pleaser, and I do feel that after the past few weeks, skating to this fresh, light and uplifting music will give Ashley a nice lift for her spirits. She did say she worked on it for months over the summer, so she should be able to pull it off. I personally feel that it will give her something to engage her mind and emotions rather than obsessing over whether she'll do her jumps in competition the way she does them in practice.

Just let your body do what it already knows how to do, Ashley! Many, many of us love you and just want to see you perform in all your awesomeness! :love: :luv17: :hap10: :dance: :hap93:

I haven't mentioned in this thread how great it was to be at SA, seeing and feeling and hearing how much audiences love Ashley. They (well, we :)) went ga-ga over her. And rightly so. It was very refreshing, after hanging out around here for awhile. :laugh:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On a shallow note, what will the costume budget for Karen and Ashley be by the end of this year?? :eek:

:rofl: I was thinking the same thing! Well ... at least they both know they can pay off their credit card debt with their SOI earnings. :) Wait, is that right? Is Karen slated for the cast? I'm already not sure. Gah.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, change is always good if you sense you're stagnating.

I don't know if it's just me seeing things, or whether there's a bit of...well, frantic shuffling over on Team Wagner. Only 1 month to the women's SP at Nats!

MarinHondas

Final Flight
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing! Well ... at least they both know they can pay off their credit card debt with their SOI earnings. :) Wait, is that right? Is Karen slated for the cast? I'm already not sure. Gah.

Yep! Karen is apart of the cast.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
This is completely off the topic(sorry!) but it’s something I’ve been thinking about lately. Karen is so talented. Tammy Gambill has really made a lovely skater but I feel Karen needs a coaching change. She needs(desperately might I add) to get that 3t around at the end of her lutz. Karen has it ALL. If only she could rotate that combo. I don’t know who would be the best coach to help her with that but she needs to at least add someone to her team if she really wants to stay with Gambill. This is no way meant to bash Tammy because Karen truly is a wonderful skater and Tammy has made her a national champion but, this year everyone internationally amped up their game. Without a fully rotated lutz-toe she won’t be able to compete as it’s only getting harder.

temadd

Final Flight
On a shallow note, what will the costume budget for Karen and Ashley be by the end of this year?? :eek:

So true. Ashley's already had 4 new costumes this season and it's a good bet that she might need 2 tries to get the new one right. Karen has had tried 4 different longs so far but used last year's costume at SA.