2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 203 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

temadd

Final Flight
If I remember though, he suggested to switch back to MR because Ashley expressed doubts over her capacities to turn LLL into an Olympic worthy performance.
All in all, the costant back & forth of the American ladies this years makes me long for the pragmatic D/W approach, who choose their LP two years prior to Sochi...I know that the skaters have so many things to do but to arrive to the Olympic season with two programs you're fully committed to is very important IMO.

She felt that the LLL charecter wasn't deep enough and she liked the dark side of the MR character. Now with the difficulties this season, she seems to want something lighter and more upbeat. She relies so much on the character in the story not just feel of the music.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I share your concerns about Ashley skating an untested program for the first time this season at Nationals, but you’re mistaken about Raf. In an interview, Ashley said he was the one who first suggested she return to MR. I don’t know what he thinks about her decision to return to LLL, but I don’t think we should jump to conclusions about his thoughts one way or another.

Besides this was weeks ago if not months. Who knows what happened in between.

Rafael's face is just naturally like that, people should just stop trying to make grand discoveries from his neutral expression lol.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Karen’s has had one new costume so far this year for her Carmen FS. Her SP, she uses her old tango FS. With her SC FS, she used The blue dress she uses with her House of Flying Daggers Exhibition program, without the long sleeves. Now she’s re-using last year’s costumes again. She may have a new costumes for nationals.

I think the blue dress was a new one actually. Brad Griffies posted that he'd made a new dress for her new LP: https://www.instagram.com/p/Baza_Yrho5c/?hl=en&taken-by=bradgriffies . And I think she made some comment about feeling silly for having gone out and got the costumes and everything and then dropped it. And Jan Longmire posted that Karen has asked her to make a new SP costume: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcJLYjWHRwU/?hl=en&taken-by=janlongmire . She certainly hasn't had as many costumes as you might think with the no. of programs, but it'll be at least 3 new ones this season.

macy

Record Breaker
as much as I LOVED Moulin rouge and it will always hold a special place in my heart, it was starting to get a little stale. it didnt have the spark it used to. I think this change will be refreshing for Ashley, the audience, and judges; but I hope 3 weeks is enough time to polish it and get it all together. i'm excited to see something new from her.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not: Tiffany's postures are horrible by today's standard; her outfit, and packaging (including the hair) overall had little to do with ballerina. I even see some of the not-so-good postures in her student Kailani Craine.

I think I love you! Haha. Yes, Tiffany's hair was FIERCE! I mean, was her hairstyle intentional?!?!?! However, I always thought she was perfectly positioned. She is a total Nicks girl. It's such a shame she and her mother ruined her career. I'm old as dirt, I remember seeing Dorothy Hamill live in 1976, and Tiffany was WONDERFUL in the 80s. Don't mess with my Tiffany!!!

Chris_E

On the Ice
as much as I LOVED Moulin rouge and it will always hold a special place in my heart, it was starting to get a little stale. it didnt have the spark it used to. I think this change will be refreshing for Ashley, the audience, and judges; but I hope 3 weeks is enough time to polish it and get it all together. i'm excited to see something new from her.

Hopefully Raf will make her do those back to back runthroughs she spoke about before 2016 Worlds. That should help cram drill the program into her muscle memory. I also have a feeling the music cut might be similar enough to MR to make it a bit easier to remember. We shall see!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think I love you! Haha. Yes, Tiffany's hair was FIERCE! I mean, was her hairstyle intentional?!?!?! However, I always thought she was perfectly positioned. She is a total Nicks girl. It's such a shame she and her mother ruined her career. I'm old as dirt, I remember seeing Dorothy Hamill live in 1976, and Tiffany was WONDERFUL in the 80s. Don't mess with my Tiffany!!!

You must be talking about Tiffany Chin, right? She's the only skater other than Tonya who had a mother who was famously evil!!! Remember that interview when her mom kept interrupting, and told Tiffani not answer some of the questions.....:drama:

frida80

Record Breaker
Hopefully Raf will make her do those back to back runthroughs she spoke about before 2016 Worlds. That should help cram drill the program into her muscle memory. I also have a feeling the music cut might be similar enough to MR to make it a bit easier to remember. We shall see!

I hope not. Her foot just healed. Maybe back to back run through a without jumps, just to nail the choreography.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I agree with everything you wrote except that she’ll be left of the team. It’s the same thing as what happened in 2014. In 2014 Ashley did tons of ads and commercials for the Olympics and was marketed as a medal contender. USFSA couldn’t leave her off the team. It’s the same this year, tons of ads promoting her as if she’s already made the team. Politics. Ashley’s UR issues will be ignored at nationals and she will at least squeak out a third place finish and go to Pyeongchang.

Plenty of American elite athletes have been left off Olympic teams despite racking up endorsements and putting their sport all over the airways. A very famous instance involved Dan O'Brien.

Jetting around the country chasing media spots does not make for focused training. No way a national sports association is going to send someone to the Olympics who is undertrained and makes TV appearances and ads a priority over being ready to compete for the country. Especially since there's been no sign yet that she's going to be ready.

At the very least, this is one heck of a risky slippery slope to trust: that politics could rescue you if you perform poorly at Nationals. Politics might just as easily give the spot to someone else. USFSA might decide they want Raf to focus on his male skaters so he doesn't spread himself too thin at the Olympics; a second able-and-ready "Bradie Tennell" may appear from the woodwork, just as Polina did the last time; USFSA might want to send Mirai this time because it sent Ashley last time even though she underperformed.

If Ashley doesn't perform well at Nationals, how could she possibly expect a spot? Out of shape, unpracticed, and no memorable performance for a long while? The international (not to mention national) judges have little exposure to the program? Who would imagine she'd represent the USA well at the Olympics?

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^^ The good thing about Ashley and Raf, is that they both know the score. Ashley has been through the ringer just like Mirai when she missed the team by 1 spot in 2010. The difference of course, is that Mirai actually beat Ashely BOTH times. I love Ashley but, she shouldn't have any expectation of being held up after the season she's had.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice

Muscle memory takes much longer to acquire than just a few weeks (minus the jetting around for endorsements, Holiday schedules, shopping for gifts, Instagram updates). Now would be the time for finesse, not cramming choreography.

Ashley's taking advantage of people's good will and support by futzing around so much. Her audience's, her fans', the judges'. She's taking their backing for granted. She's evidently not taking control of details that are only hers to control, like training. At some point, she's going to make a lot of people unhappy, and they'll have had "enough already". Likely sooner rather than later. The groundswell of irritation might very well displace her from the Olympic team.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If Ashley doesn't perform well at Nationals, how could she possibly expect a spot? Out of shape, unpracticed, and no memorable performance for a long while? The international (not to mention national) judges have little exposure to the program? Who would imagine she'd do well at the Olympics?

I don't think Ashley will be on the team without a top 3 finish, but I do think that the judges will be willing to overlook lack of transitions and minor technical mistakes if she skates an inspired performance. The panel might make enough UR calls on Ashley to push someone like Bradie to the top, but if Ashley stays on her feet and doesn't pop her jumps, I think it is extremely unlikely she will miss the podium.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
https://youtu.be/gFvfxOiC0oQ
EVERYONE NEEDS TO WATCH THIS. I've been a fan of Ting for a little while and the progress she has made is astronomical.

Wow! Look at the hands! From the get-go you know this is going to be something special. Relaxed and feeing. Then there's the organic fab-ness of the arms that go with those lovely hands, not like someone told her how to wave them around at key spots (one of my least favorite aspects of Lipnitskaia), and all the other tidiness, command, presentation, security, and detail. Beautiful.

Someone needs to do a better job of editing/choosing music, however. Waaay to many clash-y bits.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
She felt that the LLL charecter wasn't deep enough and she liked the dark side of the MR character. Now with the difficulties this season, she seems to want something lighter and more upbeat. She relies so much on the character in the story not just feel of the music.

Most of the time, getting the feel of a program involves practicing it. A lot.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Ashley might want to consider if USFSA chooses an unheard of underdog to go to the Olympics they could get way bigger, splashier, media attention than from a few advertising spots featuring one skater who has been under-performing and under-training for quite a while now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Most of the time, getting the feel of a program involves practicing it. A lot.

Correct....It also takes performing it front of an audience. Michelle Kwan's Red Violin is a perfect example of this. She lost Irina twice in the fall of 1999 including the GPF. She lost the qualifying round and the SP to Irina and Maria at Worlds in 2000. I never liked her Red Violin LP until she skated it perfectly at that event and vaulted from 3rd to win. Remember, they were using the 6.0 system back then and that was a huge accomplishment for Michelle.

Ashley needs to skate whichever program she decides on perfectly, for her to have a chance at Nationals. If she were 100% healthy I wouldn't be as worried as I am.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I’ll just say this: Wagner sure knows how to keep things.......interesting :biggrin:, get people talking, that’s for sure. ;)

Great for drama and forum fodder, but maybe not so great for her focus? :scratch2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's really sad that we still don't have a lock for ladies champion this close to nationals. Look at Nathan Chen, I'd say he's going to Korea no matter what he does at Nationals because he's had such a great GP season. He's won every event he's entered and has looked solid from day 1. Unfortunately I don't think any of our ladies, outside of Bradie's LP from Skate America, has looked like a threat to any of the top ladies and I'd put her on the team based on that 7 triple LP alone.

evasorange

Final Flight
Ashley just posted on insta the beginning of la la lp...and it Looks beautiful 💕 It doesn't need to be perfect at nationals, just strong enough for a top 3 finish...I can't wait to see the whole thing!