2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 210 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

brightphoton

Medalist
So why have published criteria in that case?

Baby steps

First, tier system but only for non-National champs.
Then, tier system for non-National champs, and tier system for Worlds.
Then, tier system for non-National champs, and tier system for Worlds, and Olympics.

The road to a full USA Gymnastics closed-door non-transparent committee is slow but steady.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So why have published criteria in that case?

You tell me. They say "oh we're going to follow this, this and this criteria" and in the past have proven they throw it out the window when the time comes. If they actually stand by their so-called criteria this time around I will be shocked.

i just hope the U.S. Skaters can be better

off topic--a little in regards to current skaters.

did anyone know that michelle kwan & bob costas received a award from the U.S olympic committee endowment fund
//www.teamusa.org/News/2017/.../Dream-Team-Michelle-Kwan-Bob-Costas-Rec...
Dream Team, Michelle Kwan, Bob Costas Receive Awards From United States Olympic Endowment
BY UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE | DEC. 07, 2017, 4:45 P.M. (ET)

sorry about link

brightphoton

Medalist
i just hope the U.S. Skaters can be better

off topic--a little in regards to current skaters.

did anyone know that michelle kwan & bob costas received a award from the U.S olympic committee endowment fund
//www.teamusa.org/News/2017/.../Dream-Team-Michelle-Kwan-Bob-Costas-Rec...
Dream Team, Michelle Kwan, Bob Costas Receive Awards From United States Olympic Endowment
BY UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE | DEC. 07, 2017, 4:45 P.M. (ET)

sorry about link

Wow, I did not know that Michelle Kwan got an award. To be honest though, this article looks like it was written by a bot. Some reporter from Golden Skate should get a statement from Michelle and write a better article about her award.

Michelle Kwan was recognized with the William E. Simon Award, given to an individual or group who has made extraordinary contributions to the advancement of the Olympic and Paralympic movements.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/D...e-Awards-From-United-States-Olympic-Endowment

b-man

Final Flight
Mirai had a clean, though technically easy SP. 3T-3T, 3Lo, and 2A and a level 1 spin. Sloppy LP. Looking at the protocol, her bronze was worth about as much as Ashley's Skate Canada bronze is from this year (i.e., not much). The field at Rostelecom was weak and no one skated well.

Ashley is going into this year's Nationals with not too different of a body of work than Mirai was in 2014 - with the most impressive results being ancient history, at least insofar as the skating world goes. The major difference is that, well, 2014 US ladies had more results than the 2018 US ladies. Mirai in 2014 was going up against a JGPF finalist, a much hyped and clearly on-the-rise Gracie Gold, and two-time US champ + two-time GPF medalist. Ashley's competition in 2018....looks a lot weaker.

Edmund's so called impressive JGPF performance was actually an unimpressive 4th place finish with a lowly 161 score, while Mirai's bronze at Rostelecom scored a 175. Not great, but more impressive than Edmunds.

b-man

Final Flight
(Plus, the hypothetical stronger skaters without Ashley's endorsements could, y'know, GET endorsements after making the Olympic team.)

Yes, there are conflicts of interest in sports where sponsors sponsor both athletes and federations. No, it's not a money-fueled conspiracy to put down good skaters and prop up bad ones.

I remember 2010 nationals when Mirai made the team. She got no cover girl endorsements, no Hilton endorsements, initially she got nothing. It was announced in pre Olympic coverage that her parents couldn't go to Vancouver, too expensive, when a Japanese company at the last minute contributed enough so her parents could attend. She got none of the lucrative endorsements that Gold and Wagner got at Sochi and after.

brightphoton

Medalist
I remember 2010 nationals when Mirai made the team. She got no cover girl endorsements, no Hilton endorsements, initially she got nothing. It was announced in pre Olympic coverage that her parents couldn't go to Vancouver, too expensive, when a Japanese company at the last minute contributed enough so her parents could attend. She got none of the lucrative endorsements that Gold and Wagner got at Sochi and after.

I remember that sad state of affairs too. At least she got that little commercial from that camera company. It was Sony, maybe?

Very much shades of Kristi Yamaguchi. She didn't get any major endorsements, even after an Olympic gold medal.

I remember that sad state of affairs too. At least she got that little commercial from that camera company. It was Sony, maybe?

Very much shades of Kristi Yamaguchi. She didn't get any major endorsements, even after an Olympic gold medal.

really kristi received alot of endorsements
from kellogs, rayban, nutrasweet, clothing line,(forgot name) which went into the children dream like clothing,
book deal, a few more.

andromache

Record Breaker
Edmund's so called impressive JGPF performance was actually an unimpressive 4th place finish with a lowly 161 score, while Mirai's bronze at Rostelecom scored a 175. Not great, but more impressive than Edmunds.

Making it to the JGPF is impressive on its own. (Comparing scores from junior to senior is pointless - seniors get instant PCS boosts). Polina's 4th place was to the best juniors in the world. She had a very bad SP, but was close to winning the LP with 2 3-3s, and had no URs.

The point is that Polina wasn't a complete unknown out of nowhere. She was building a reputation prior to Nationals - 2 JGP golds and a trip to the JGP final on her first ever junior season internationally - she was definitely on the rise.

Re: endorsements - did Polina get endorsements after she made the team in 2014? (I genuinely don't know - a cursory google search tells me nothing.)

I think age could have an impact on sponsorship deals. Both Polina in 2014 and Mirai in 2010 were 16. Both Gracie and Ashley in 2014 were 18+. It's possible there are certain types of legal restrictions on sponsorships for the underaged that make sponsors less likely to spend money on them, or that sponsors are just more hesitant to spend money on unknown quantities (which Mirai and Polina both were in 2010 and 2014, respectively).

ETA: (If Polina did receive any major deals, I would expect that they were shared with Ashley and Gracie - more of a "here's our 3 Olympic ladies!" thing than an individual Polina thing. Let's not forget that in 2010, Mirai was part of the two-person shame team. Shared endorsements with Rachael Flatt would necessitate reminding everyone that the glory days of the US ladies were long gone, and Mirai had not individually accomplished anything on her own just yet. I'm definitely not going to say that race doesn't play a role in who gets sponsorships and who doesn't - but I don't think that plays a role in how USFS chooses their team. USFS wants to send the best skaters, period. There might be some financial incentive to favor the girl with the sponsorship, but there's also plenty of financial incentive to favor the girl who is a better skater. Long term: better skating = better results = more $$$$.

If Ashley Wagner places outside the top 3 at Nationals this time around and is sent anyway, I'll eat my words.)

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Making it to the JGPF is impressive on its own. (Comparing scores from junior to senior is pointless - seniors get instant PCS boosts). Polina's 4th place was to the best juniors in the world. She had a very bad SP, but was close to winning the LP with 2 3-3s, and had no URs.

The point is that Polina wasn't a complete unknown out of nowhere. She was building a reputation prior to Nationals - 2 JGP golds and a trip to the JGP final on her first ever junior season internationally - she was definitely on the rise.

Re: endorsements - did Polina get endorsements after she made the team in 2014? (I genuinely don't know - a cursory google search tells me nothing.)

I think age could have an impact on sponsorship deals. Both Polina in 2014 and Mirai in 2010 were 16. Both Gracie and Ashley in 2014 were 18+. It's possible there are certain types of legal restrictions on sponsorships for the underaged that make sponsors less likely to spend money on them, or that sponsors are just more hesitant to spend money on unknown quantities (which Mirai and Polina both were in 2010 and 2014, respectively).

ETA: (If Polina did receive any major deals, I would expect that they were shared with Ashley and Gracie - more of a "here's our 3 Olympic ladies!" thing than an individual Polina thing. Let's not forget that in 2010, Mirai was part of the two-person shame team. Shared endorsements with Rachael Flatt would necessitate reminding everyone that the glory days of the US ladies were long gone, and Mirai had not individually accomplished anything on her own just yet. I'm definitely not going to say that race doesn't play a role in who gets sponsorships and who doesn't - but I don't think that plays a role in how USFS chooses their team. USFS wants to send the best skaters, period. There might be some financial incentive to favor the girl with the sponsorship, but there's also plenty of financial incentive to favor the girl who is a better skater. Long term: better skating = better results = more $$$$.

If Ashley Wagner places outside the top 3 at Nationals this time around and is sent anyway, I'll eat my words.)

Gracie had also been to worlds by 2014 (placing 6th in 2013), whereas Mirai hadn't gone to worlds or gotten a grand prix medal yet by the time she went to the Olympics (though she had won nationals in 08').

Does Karen Chen have any endorsements this year (I know she has the book. I believe when she did her Today show appearance, they were asking her if she was "excited for her first Olympics"...)?

andromache

Record Breaker
Gracie had also been to worlds by 2014 (placing 6th in 2013), whereas Mirai hadn't gone to worlds or gotten a grand prix medal yet by the time she went to the Olympics (though she had won nationals in 08').

Does Karen Chen have any endorsements this year (I know she has the book. I believe when she did her Today show appearance, they were asking her if she was "excited for her first Olympics"...)?

Good question. Not that I can find, unfortunately, other than the book (which is a pretty good deal, I would think, since it's been awhile since a US lady has done a book - I grew up reading and rereading Tara's and Michelle's books). Considering her 4th place at Worlds, this is surprising, and probably half a race thing and half an age thing (Karen turned 18 over the summer - since then she's been a question mark, skating-wise.)

I found this article that discusses some of the complications involved in dealing with minors: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ules-Govern-Business-With-Young-Athletes.aspx

Does anyone know if USFS has rules regarding endorsements for skaters under 18?

Nathan Chen is getting endorsements despite being newly 18 and Asian-American, but he's a medal favorite.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Y'all, what's up with our ladies this season. Watching Nathan and Alexei win the their GPF's and seeing 3 Men at each event was very exciting. Yet, not a single Lady in either of the Finals......This has me worried about the present and the future....

mrrice

Record Breaker
really kristi received alot of endorsements
from kellogs, rayban, nutrasweet, clothing line,(forgot name) which went into the children dream like clothing,
book deal, a few more.

I think times have changed......Athlete's aren't getting the kind of on air endorsement deals like they used to. I think Serena Williams might be the most successful female athlete right now and though she does have some TV spots, most of her big deals are in Print Ads. Kristi was in several ads after she won but, nothing compares to how famous Peggy Became after she won....She was everywhere.

I don't know about much about Karen but, Polina does quite well here in Northern Ca. She has been on the local news a couple of times and they even did a story on Nam, when he trained here briefly. Kristi, Rudy, and Brian Boitano are all from the Bay Area and I think that helps keep skating in the public eye up here. Kristi still has commercials here and she was on the cooking show "The Chew" recently.

frida80

Record Breaker
I think times have changed......Athlete aren't getting the kind of on air endorsement deals like they used to. I think Serena Williams might be the most successful female athlete right now and though she does have some TV spots, most her big deals are in Print Ads. Kristi was in several ads after she won but, nothing compares to how famous Peggy Became after she won....She was everywhere.

You know it's sad state of ladies in sports when you realize the most successful and publicized female athlete in the country hasn't competed in over a year. I'd like to suggest someone active, I can't think of anyone right now. Maybe Lindsey Vonn?

lappo

Final Flight
Good question. Not that I can find, unfortunately, other than the book (which is a pretty good deal, I would think, since it's been awhile since a US lady has done a book - I grew up reading and rereading Tara's and Michelle's books). Considering her 4th place at Worlds, this is surprising, and probably half a race thing and half an age thing (Karen turned 18 over the summer - since then she's been a question mark, skating-wise.)

I found this article that discusses some of the complications involved in dealing with minors: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ules-Govern-Business-With-Young-Athletes.aspx

Does anyone know if USFS has rules regarding endorsements for skaters under 18?

Nathan Chen is getting endorsements despite being newly 18 and Asian-American, but he's a medal favorite.

Probably the fact that she is mentored by Kristi Yamaguchi helped her having the book out...Kristi runs a non profit foundation against childhood illiteracy and is herself an accomplished children's book author. If there is one who could have helped Karen in this field, well, it's her.

andromache

Record Breaker
You know it's sad state of ladies in sports when you realize the most successful and publicized female athlete in the country hasn't competed in over a year. I'd like to suggest someone active, I can't think of anyone right now. Maybe Lindsey Vonn?

Some googling just told me about this Nascar lady, Danica Patrick: https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-7-most-popular-female-athletes-in-america.html/?a=viewall

There's also Ronda Rousey (MMA).

Women can become famous/publicized as in individual sports, but viewership for women's team sports is nonexistent in the US, and team sports are by far the most popular and watched (NBA, NFL, MLB).

b-man

Final Flight

I don't know if Edmunds got sponsorship for Sochi. I suspect, since major sponsorships were announced in the fall of 2013 and Edmunds was a surprise addition to the team, that available money had already been committed to Wagner and Gold by the time of Nationals. I doubt there are age restrictions on sponsorships, other than the requirement that parents sign contracts.