2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 291 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Each person needs four tickets per discipline. Team SP/FS and Individual SP/FS.

sheetz

Record Breaker
According to this article Ashley has seven major sponsors: Bridgestone, Dick's Sporting Goods, Nike, Procter & Gamble, Samsung, Toyota and Zico coconut water. For comparison Nathan has five (Nike, Bridgestone, United, Coca Cola, Kellogg's) and the Shibutanis six (Ralph Lauren, Minute Maid, Intel, Ice Breakers, Tumi, Milk Bone).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
According to this article Ashley has seven major sponsors: Bridgestone, Dick's Sporting Goods, Nike, Procter & Gamble, Samsung, Toyota and Zico coconut water. For comparison Nathan has five (Nike, Bridgestone, United, Coca Cola, Kellogg's) and the Shibutanis six (Ralph Lauren, Minute Maid, Intel, Ice Breakers, Tumi, Milk Bone).

Thanks for the lists. :thank:

Thoughts:

(1) Underlines that Ashley's many sponsorships did not protect her from not being selected for the Olympic team.
(I was not among those who believed that they would [ETA: or should] protect her.)

(2) On a subjective level, Nathan's sponsorships have been "especially" visible to me (for example, I was in Times Square and could see firsthand his presence on the Coca-Cola billboard), but I had lost count of his and Ashley's and the Shibs'. In terms of numbers, I see that "especially" was an overstatement on my part.​

brightphoton

Medalist
Per Vincent's comment on Karen's Instagram:

... a night's stay at the Olympics for a family member is close to $1,000 ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3srMWnany/?taken-by=karebearsk8

I imagine that USFS quoted the same number to all of its Olympians?

$1000 a night for a family member?

I wonder where the USFS is getting their numbers from. For that price, Team USA + family better be staying at very special Airbnb, 10 feet away from the stadium.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
$1000 a night for a family member?

I wonder where the USFS is getting their numbers from. For that price, Team USA + family better be staying at very special Airbnb, 10 feet away from the stadium.

Nah, it's just that hotels want to make a profit. A bunch of people coming to the Olympics + only small amount of hotel rooms for so many people = higher prices

brightphoton

Medalist
Nah, it's just that hotels want to make a profit. A bunch of people coming to the Olympics + only small amount of hotel rooms for so many people = higher prices

I'll say. I should've invested in hotels

At least the family members will (hopefully) be getting close hotels. Taking the train everyday from a neighboring city can't be too fun

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You can easily pay $200-$300 a night at a major metro city for a hotel room and that's not accounting for anything major, like an Olympic event.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You can easily pay $200-$300 a night at a major metro city for a hotel room and that's not accounting for anything major, like an Olympic event.

Yup. Boston Worlds hotel rooms were at the lower end of that range IIRC.

klutzy

On the Ice
Hope some sponsors come forward for Bradie Tennell and Hubbell/Donohue. Bradie's family seems to be her single-mom nurse and two brothers. H/D sound like they've also struggled.

Disney, at least, ought to cough up a few bucks for her using their music to live out her Cinderella dream, but Disney (trademark it all) probably doesn't see it that way.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
11K per week at the Olympics?

A good friend of mine is going. He's poor so I wonder how he's funding himself:laugh: He told me he walked out of his job so he can go to Olympics. He told me he's gonna go there to see a bunch of athletes. I can't wait to ask him when he comes back how he paid for it, lol..

mrrice

Record Breaker

When the Games came to Los Angeles in 1984, Hotels were doubling and tripling their normal rates in the Downtown Area. People began to rent out rooms in their houses and made a ton of money in those 2 weeks. When we were backstage before the opening ceremony, we spoke with dancers who had flown here from all over the world to be part of the ceremony. They told us horror stories about price gouging....Some of them had rented RV's and slept in them from opening day through the closing ceremony.

Here's a not very clear clip of our performance but, it will give an idea of just how many of us there were. VERY few of the performers in this group were from Los Angeles. I was still living in Santa Barbara and we had to get ourselves to LA for all the rehearsals and we were responsible for our own food and housing. We were fed during rehearsals and on performance days but, that was only 3, 8 hour days a week. The rest of the time we were on our own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLjWidoSTk

desertskates

Medalist
11K per week at the Olympics?

A good friend of mine is going. He's poor so I wonder how he's funding himself:laugh: He told me he walked out of his job so he can go to Olympics. He told me he's gonna go there to see a bunch of athletes. I can't wait to ask him when he comes back how he paid for it, lol..

I have a friend who regularly goes to summer games because he just loves to be in that atmosphere. Instead of a little trip here he just saves up over time for each one. For him, that is worth it. He just glows with happiness when sharing his pics and telling stories about his trips. I'll just have to live that through others, because I'm not that prudent of a saver :laugh:

Based on what I've heard, the $10k per family member price tag doesn't surprise me in the least. Hope all the athletes reach their goals!

creaturelover

On the Ice

Considering the Olympics are there I doubt that. My hotel room price doubled just because of baseball playoffs in Phoenix so I am sure the hotel rooms will be expensive.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I have to say I'm a little surprised that people are shocked by the hefty price tag of attending the Olympics. Its the biggest event in the world which runs for almost a month, no way businesses won't take advantage of that profit wise. :laugh: It usually sucks for most of the locals though. :eek:hwell:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's common for Olympians to skip the World's after the Olympics, especially if they won a medal, are mentally exhausted, and want to pursue post-Olympics sponsorship deals.

But to be fair, Mirai is not an Olympic medal contender. The large possibility of a deleted field at Worlds might cause her to train for post-Olympics competitions, and not race off to Dancing with the Stars.

Yes, I know it's common for Olympic medallists (at least some of them) to skip Worlds, but Mirai didn't medal in 2010 Vancouver and went on to Worlds. I see no reason why she wouldn't want to go to another Worlds, especially as she's only been to two - and one of those due to another teammate's withdrawing. This Worlds (2018), as I said, she earned just like in 2010. And even if she were to medal, medallists like Yuna Kim went on to compete at Worlds as did Mao Asada. No reason for anyone to speculate that Mirai would withdraw. I still say she'll go and I'd bet on it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if the American pewter pattern will continue.I am sure but I think at the olympics 1984 fourth - Tiffany Chin?1988 4th Jill Trenary 1992 4th tonya harding 2002 4th Sasha Cohen? 2010 4th Mirai Nagasu 2014 4th Gracie Gold

sinnerspinner

On the Ice

Definitely. In the nearest big city around me, rooms can go up to $400 a night for relatively common things like concerts.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I have a friend who regularly goes to summer games because he just loves to be in that atmosphere. Instead of a little trip here he just saves up over time for each one. For him, that is worth it. He just glows with happiness when sharing his pics and telling stories about his trips. I'll just have to live that through others, because I'm not that prudent of a saver :laugh:

Based on what I've heard, the $10k per family member price tag doesn't surprise me in the least. Hope all the athletes reach their goals!

My friend texted me back last night and said he just landed in Korea and was walking to the village. I asked him a bunch of questions....let's see if he will get back to me haha.