Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151
Results 2,251 to 2,256 of 2256

Thread: 2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavi... View Post
    By the way, OT and all, but I think the problem with English degrees is most often that people who have them (which includes me) don’t always know what they want to do with them. I think how well someone does depends in part on what school granted that degree, what else is on the person’s resume, and his or her innate drive and determination.
    Bingo!!! And we are talking about elite athletes, who by their very nature are incredibly driven, ambitious, and goal-oriented.

Continuing with Max as an example, he actually started college late (22-23), but when he did, it was because he knew exactly what he wanted to do; there are interviews as early as late 2014-2015 where he talks about his post-skating plans, which included working in the financial sector.

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yyyskate View Post
    @ice coverage
    just wanna say I love your new avatar picture
    Thx, yyyskate.

As a diehard Max fan, I am extra happy today b/c in a season-ender blog post, the wise Phil Hersh gave "big props to Max Aaron."

Referring to Max and the three spots for next year, Phil wrote:

... he can take great pride in having used his fourth world meet appearance to help enhance the near future of U.S. men’s skating on the world scene. That is a fitting valedictory for one of the nicest and most accommodating people in the sport.

I posted a longer excerpt in Max's fan thread, but wanted to make at least brief mention here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by concorde View Post
    Ice skating probably will not pay the bills long term. There are exceptions (Tara, Johnny) but that is no longer the norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Bingo!!! And we are talking about elite athletes, who by their very nature are incredibly driven, ambitious, and goal-oriented. ...
    Plus not everyone who loved having a competitive career would want to make figure skating their lifelong livelihood, even if it were financially feasible.

I have nothing but respect for those who have big goals outside of skating -- Nathan in medicine, Max in business, etc.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I disagree. Maybe the very top coaches earn more than someone like Max, who is looking to get into the very highly-paid financial sector; but there's no guarantee a top skater will become a top coach. Coaching is only a full time job at the very top level.

Gracie Gold claims to coach 8-12 hours per day. That seems pretty full time to me.

2 Not allowed!
    Here's a rather interesting Rolling Stone article on Adam Rippon:

https://www.rollingstone.com/sports/...kating-w518429

Taking on political bullies, though, is not a decision he regrets. "As an athlete, you're threatened that if you do anything to bring shame to your country, you'll be kicked off the team and you won't be allowed back at an international event. I see somebody like Donald Trump taunting immigrants, taunting a handicapped reporter, the things that he's said about women—and I'm like, if he were me, he'd be kicked off the team, and I'd never hear from him again."
    LMAO

So he has dated girls... who assumed he was just too good a person to try to sleep with them.

8 Not allowed!
    Josh Farris has completed choreography for Vincent Zhou's new exhibition program.

Vincent posted a great photo of their side-by-side splits. Excerpt of his comments:

Josh Farris and I are so excited to have finished my "Take On Me" exhibition program!! Massive thanks @joshdfarris for helping me expand my horizons and truly have fun while skating! I'm looking forward to performing at a club show in San Francisco this weekend, Ice Fantasia in Korea, and finally, as a guest on @starsonice ....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhMgi8MF...=govincentzhou (Apr 5)

ETA:

The local ice show in SF seems to be San Francisco Skating Club's gala on Apr 7.

Incredible cast: Vincent, Dinh Tran, Feng/Nyman, Carriera/Ponomarenko, Alysa Liu, etc.

We are honoring the 30th year of Brian Boitano’s Olympic Gold Medal, and he will be the guest of honor. We also are honoring the 20th anniversary of Brian’s Youth Skate Foundation and the 20th anniversary of the Yerba Buena Ice Skating & Bowling Center and its partnership with the SCSF. Charlie Tickner, Olympic and World medalist will be the Master of Ceremonies for the evening.

http://scsf.org/annual-gala/

Some of the cast members are quite active on social media, so I have my fingers crossed that snippets of performances will surface.
    (And/or maybe Tom Z -- who idolized Tickner -- will attend and could be another source??)

ETA (on Apr 7):

Fan art from @miyan5605 in honor of Vincent's new ex:

(Same artist is the source of my current avatar of Max:

2 Not allowed!
    Fan-cam video of Vincent performing Josh's choreo at the SF show:

(Only the first part of the program, but better than nothing.

I could really feel Josh coming thru in some of the movement. )

ETA:

See also video mini-snippets from Instagram story of @christinacarriera. One of V's training/rehearsal; a later one of V's performance at the show.

ETA:

For anyone who cares, reminder that the NBC recap of Worlds finally is airing today (Sun Apr 8).
    3 to 6 pm ET -- check your local listings.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/0...cast-schedule/

Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151