2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

lishazard

Rinkside
Oooh thank you for sharing!

Upon a quick read skimming for my favorites:
* Marin Honda has tough back-to-back GPs on different continents. Yikes! I thought Japan would have wanted her for NHK.
* Gracie Gold has relatively easy competition at her GPs (aside from the upcoming juniors, who may surprise!) If she gets back in form I hope she makes the Final!
* Really excited for all the juniors turning seniors. October is too far away!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
First thing that jumped out at me:

Misha Ge has 2 GP assignments (Russia and France).

Does this mean that he has seen sense and realised that it is silly to retire the season before the Olympics when there is nobody else from his country anywhere near as good as him to take up the slot?

CaroLiza_fan

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why Parsons only get 1 GP?

That is odd especially since Loboda/Dzoid (who finished behind them at Jr. Worlds/below them in SB) got two. I'm guessing they're going to get the TBD spot from Skate America.

Also, no Coomes/Buckland. That's a surprise to me.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Second thing that jumped out at me:

POLINA E. IS BACK!!!!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Also, when the dates were announced, I noticed that my birthday was during the Cup of Russia, and thought that going would be a good birthday present. But, I'm disappointed to see that nearly all of my favourite ladies are going to other GP's (mostly Canada and France).

Oh well!

CaroLiza_fan

Roast Toast

Medalist
God those dance assignments are boring... No meeting between V/M and P/C until the finals was to be expected but most of those events look fairly predictable. Unless this is actually all planned and Bobrova/Soloviev are going to start to overperform.

The men's assignments are really interesting. Boyang getting the bronze again has created some great matchups. I love that Shoma is coming back to France. Him + Javi might just make me go down to Grenoble this year.

Looking at the ladies, I can't believe how deep this field is... All of these events are stacked. I don't understand why USFSA is sending Karen and Ashley together both times. Granted, SC and SA are safe options but still... Another thing to note is that Caro will be facing Evgenia twice. It'll be very difficult for her to make the finals like this, imo.

In pairs, Sui/Han have back to back assignments, but are the heavy favourites both times. I think they will get a lot of momentum if S/M get caught at either of their events. James/Ciprès face two tough fields and have a great chance to prove themselves. I hope they can podium at both.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
pairs = intense... skate canada wow

I'd give a lot to be able to attend on Skate Canada or NHK, especially regarding Pairs and Ice Dance, already in deep jealousy over those who will witness these events live:)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm surprised by the unexpected men's lineup for Cup of Russia because I would've believed it is meant for Skate America if it would've started first of the GP series as usual. :) It is basically Hanyu vs Nathan, and I'm so looking forward to it.

I'm also amused to find that Hanyu doesn't want Skate Canada this time given Hanyu and Patrick's duel for the past years at there. :laugh: It is a good and practical choice for Hanyu, but oh...Patrick is assigned to NHK, so their annual extravaganza still stands. :)

ADDED: biggest 2 names in each GP. This is gonna be so fun.

1. Russia - Hanyu vs Nathan
2. Canada - Patrick vs Shoma
3. China - Javi vs Boyang
4. Japan - Hanyu vs Patrick
5. France - Javi vs Shoma
6. USA - Nathan vs Boyang

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Methinks that TBD Skate America spot might be saved for Josh Farris.....:biggrin:

(If not I'll be super mad lol).

Otherwise I'm disappointed by the men's lineup for Skate America (which I hope to be attending). No Yuzu, Javi, or Patrick. At least I've got Anna and Polina T. in the ladies. Was hoping for S/H, but S/M is also acceptable.

Will be interested to see if B/S are overscored enough at Rostelecom to beat the Shibs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Will put this in OP, but here's the next people line for GP assignments (whether 1st or 2nd)

Men
26. Nam Nguyen, CAN (Rostelecom Cup; he has a shot at the TBD in SC)
27. Moris Kvitelashvili, GEO (Internationaux de France; he has a good shot at getting a second if Misha Ge drops out of his events)
29. Brenden Kerry, AUS (Skate Canada)
31. Han Yan, CHN (Cup of China)
33. Alexander Majorov (Cup of China)
--
34. Michal Brezina (IdF)
35. Timothy Dolensky (has shot at USA TBD)
36. Paul Fentz, GER
37. Eiladj Balde, CAN (shot at CAN TBD)
40. Keegan Messing (Skate Canada)

Ladies
28. Stainslava Konstantina, RUS (is she moving up?)
34. Amber Glenn, USA (eligible for USA TBD)
35. Courtney Hicks, USA (eligible for USA TBD)
38. Sofia Samodurova, RUS (moving up?)
41. Yura Matsuda, JPN
--
42. Serafima Sakhanovich, RUS
43. Nahyun Kim, KOR (Skate Canada)
45. Rin Nitaya, JPN
46. Loena Hendrickx, BEL
47. Ivett Toth, HUN (Rostelecom Cup)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
and let's talk about those Men's fields at:

- Rostelecom (Daniel, Yuzuru, Deniss, Mikhail, Kenji, Nathan, Grant and Misha)

- Skate Canada (Patrick, Brendan, Jorik, Shoma, Chafik, Jun Hwan, Maxim, Jason) and

- TdF (Alexei,Chafik, Kevin, Moris, Shoma, Denis, Max, Javier, Vincent, Misha)

SAVAGE:drama:

ETA - and NHK :hopelessness: - yearly rematch Yuzuru vs Patrick, with attendance of Alexei, Deniss, Sergei, Jason, Joshua and Adam

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Methinks that TBD Skate America spot might be saved for Josh Farris.....:biggrin:

(If not I'll be super mad lol).

Otherwise I'm disappointed by the men's lineup for Skate America (which I hope to be attending). No Yuzu, Javi, or Patrick. At least I've got Anna and Polina T. in the ladies. Was hoping for S/H, but S/M is also acceptable.

Will be interested to see if B/S are overscored enough at Rostelecom to beat the Shibs.

you couldn't be expecting for javi or patrick though... same bracket as nathan.... but yeah... i am sorry the line up for SA isn't the best for sure....

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm blown away that they put both Ashley and Karen in SA and SC. I thought they would try to mix them up but oh well.

Zhenia is doing COR! Yes! It will be great to see her in front of a home crowd.

But only one slot for Polina and none for Countney. Sigh... Outside of Ashley and Mariah, Courtney was the only medalist in the GP last year. It's disheartening to see. So few US girls on the list. Such a rough season with so many injuries cost us so many points. It's going to be a blood bath for the SA slot and the CoR slot.

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Ladies
28. Stainslava Konstantina, RUS (is she moving up?)
34. Amber Glenn, USA (eligible for USA TBD)
35. Courtney Hicks, USA (eligible for USA TBD)
37. Eunsoo LIM, KOR
38. Sofia Samodurova, RUS (moving up?)
--
41. Yura Matsuda, JPN
42. Serafima Sakhanovich, RUS
43. Nahyun Kim, KOR (Skate Canada)
45. Rin Nitaya, JPN
46. Loena Hendrickx, BEL
47. Ivett Toth, HUN (Rostelecom Cup)

OMG Eunsoo is still 14, cannot compete as senior:laugh:

SkaterX

On the Ice
SO excited that I get to see Polina T and Satoko at SA! Disappointed in the men's selection though. I'm hoping that TBD US spot goes to Jason Brown because he's so fun to watch. That would be pretty much impossible though right?

Last edited: