Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story | Golden Skate

Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What would be your idea/wished for "Cinderella Story" for the coming season?

When Paul Wylie won the Olympic Silver Medal in '92, someone (a reporter, I think) asked him how he felt about not winning the gold (paraphrasing). He looked astonished and said, "How much more of a Cinderella Story do you guys want?"

Until the '92 Olympics, Paul had never finished better than 9th at Worlds. He was 27 years old when he won Olympic silver, but he looked young and maybe the media didn't make a big deal of it, IDK.

After winning Jr. Worlds in 1981, Paul had competed as a senior, coming in 4th at Nationals the year Scott Hamilton won the '84 Olympics. From 1987 to 1992, he came in either 2nd or 3rd at Nationals every year.

So what would be your "Cinderella Story" for the coming season? It could be an Olympic story, a Worlds story, or one for the books at a Nationals ... you have free rein!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've been around for a very long time and I've actually seen a couple of these stories come true. I don't know if I'd call them Cinderella stories but, I'd love to see Leonova make it back to the Olympics for what I'm sure would be her "Swan Song" She has always had a personality as big as her smile. The Russian's are so deep in Ladies talent that it would be a miracle for her to make the team. However, Maria B. did it, so you never know.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
My hope for a Cinderella story this season is for some skater from a non-big-three figure skating country to make it big.😊 Like, be super consistent and throw down awesome jumps and artistry and come from out of nowhere! That'll be so fun! Like, imagine if Dennis Vasiljevs or Angelina Kutchvalska or Brendan Kerry or Leona Hendrix all of sudden became a threat? Who wouldn't want to see a wrench thrown in the standings? I'm tired of predictable results.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My hope for a Cinderella story this season is for some skater from a non-big-three figure skating country to make it big.😊 Like, be super consistent and throw down awesome jumps and artistry and come from out of nowhere! That'll be so fun! Like, imagine if Dennis Vasiljevs or Angelina Kutchvalska or Brendan Kerry or Leona Hendrix all of sudden became a threat? Who wouldn't want to see a wrench thrown in the standings? I'm tired of predictable results.

You mean kind of like Denis Ten did at the Sochi Games in 2014?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia gets her bearings back and brings it old school like her 15 year old self creating sort of a Cinderella II. Oh please...make it so :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what's so great in Cinderella stories : magic..... ;)

Patrick's magic can destroy a long time (canadian) curse....by winning not only 1 but 2 gold medals ;) Go Patrick!!! plus your initials match the home city's

Amei

Record Breaker
Julia gets her bearings back and brings it old school like her 15 year old self creating sort of a Cinderella II. Oh please...make it so :)

I was about to post the same thing, it would be pretty cool to see her come back recovered from injuries and skate clean like she did in 2014.

tars

Record Breaker
I was about to post the same thing, it would be pretty cool to see her come back recovered from injuries and skate clean like she did in 2014.
It would be the greatest figure skating comeback of all times worth a movie. Not that they won't make one about her anyway. She's special.

Sam L

Medalist
what's so great in Cinderella stories : magic..... ;)

Patrick's magic can destroy a long time (canadian) curse....by winning not only 1 but 2 gold medals ;) Go Patrick!!! plus your initials match the home city's

If Patrick wins he would've won in South Korea and Yuna in Canada. Match made in heaven?

Please let it be so.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As much as I'd love to see D/R win, I hope Aliona finally gets her gold medal! D/R getting a team gold with Canada and S/M winning pairs gold would be sensational.

Patrick winning would be amazing but really, I just want all the guys to do their best after a rather mediocre Sochi competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As much as I'd love to see D/R win, I hope Aliona finally gets her gold medal! D/R getting a team gold with Canada and S/M winning pairs gold would be sensational.

Patrick winning would be amazing but really, I just want all the guys to do their best after a rather mediocre Sochi competition.

in my cinderella story, all the guys do well but patrick still wins it ;) no need for pumpkins to get gold ;)

bramweld

Record Breaker
We get to see a transformed Lena Ilinykh, sophisticated, elegant and passionate. With whom I don't know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My Cinderella story would be Patrick Chan winning gold, Kavaguti and Smirnov winning OGM (which would be amazing if they could even make the Russian team; Kaetlyn Osmond winning oGM and I and K back as a team winning OGM. None of these are really remotely possible though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My Cinderella story would be Patrick Chan winning gold, Kavaguti and Smirnov winning OGM (which would be amazing if they could even make the Russian team; Kaetlyn Osmond winning oGM and I and K back as a team winning OGM. None of these are really remotely possible though.

excuse us !

-signed Patrick and Kaetlyn

Warwick360

Medalist
When Paul Wylie won the Olympic Silver Medal in '92, someone (a reporter, I think) asked him how he felt about not winning the gold (paraphrasing). He looked astonished and said, "How much more of a Cinderella Story do you guys want?"

Until the '92 Olympics, Paul had never finished better than 9th at Worlds. He was 27 years old when he won Olympic silver, but he looked young and maybe the media didn't make a big deal of it, IDK.

Paul Wylie was 27??????!!!!!!!

But he looks like a 16 year old Joshua Farris!!!! :shocked::eekn:

Skye

On the Ice
For me, the ultimate Cinderella moment would be: Ryom/Kim earning a ticket to the Olympics at Nebelhorn and competing on South Korean ice!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Mirai on the US Olympic team along with Ashley, perhaps even sharing the ladies portion of the team event. :)

WeaPo medaling in ice dance - I'll be realistic even with my Cinderella story and say I'd be over the moon if they snag that bronze - and then go on to win 2018 worlds.

PChiddy breaking the Canadian men's curse.

Kaetlyn or Gabby breaking the Canadian ladies curse! (Yes, I know we have Barbara Ann Scott's gold medal, but that'll have been 70 years ago in 2018!)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
For me, the ultimate Cinderella moment would be: Ryom/Kim earning a ticket to the Olympics at Nebelhorn and competing on South Korean ice!

I really want that to happen and then for this story to have a ton of media coverage ! :yahoo:

lyndichee

Medalist

There are 3 pairs I want to see at 2018.

Ryom/Kim
Duskova/Bidar
Alexandrovskaya/Windsor