Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 289 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

yude

Record Breaker
Putting the competition aside, when I was watching CiONTU, I was strongly convinced that Yuzuru was highly capable of PERFORMING for the audience without any jump and his musicality and the expressions were diverse. CiONTU made me realize many things.

sakurano

Final Flight

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Haha yes I agree. Although its a bit hard to organize. With the growing Hanyu fans the thread will explode cuz hes 2 time olympic champ and that itself brings a swarm of fans after olympic season. Remember post sochi season? The fandom exploded.

And im frm Planet Hanyu. Surprised that this thread is still active.

Rnt most yuzu fans relocated to Planet Hanyu?

What are the GS fans doing here haha? Jst suprized thats all.

[emoji1]
Because 1) At GS we can be updated with info on other skaters
2) not everyone is a fan of solely Yuzuru or solely mens discipline. For instance, pairs is my fav discipline, men singles 2nd. Mens I have 3 fav.
3) From personal experience, Planet Hanyu too many crazy for Yuzu (like for celebrity) type of fans, very emotional and sensitive.
Not my cup of tea for athletes.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last edited:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Just spoke with Brian Orser for an upcoming @icenetwork story. Asked him about Yuzuru Hanyu’s future. Orser said, “I’m having the sense he is going to continue” to the next Olympics. Might he take a year off from competing? “He won’t take a year off. Absolutely not."

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/986753231719198720

To be honest, I am having the same sense as Brian's just because Plu-san told Yuzuru "Land 4A and win in the next Olympics." :slink::biggrin:

At least Orser"s got the same vibe abt Yuzuru taking a year off. ," Absolutely not", hahaha.
Yuzu said at Continues he wants compete this coming GP season right? If his ankle fully recovered of course.

Plumededragon

Medalist
At least Orser"s got the same vibe abt Yuzuru taking a year off. ," Absolutely not", hahaha.
Yuzu said at Continues he wants compete this coming GP season right? If his ankle fully recovered of course.
Yes he plans on doing GP season. That’s his wish, but he wants to make sure he’s heathy first (good boy :)).

yude

Record Breaker
According to this tweet, Keegan Messing talked about Yuzuru in the magazine "Life". This is perhaps only the summary but he said he was glad to see Yuzuru competing in the Olympics and gave him standing ovation after his performance, and he and Yuzuru were competing together when they were Jr. so he would like to skate in 6 minutes warm-up with him again in the future.

https://twitter.com/mmmmiiiyyyuuu/status/986570263566299136

Imov

Medalist
What yr did he say he wnts to train in Japan???

I remember it was before he went to TCC.
So sometime 2011 and below. He wa still very young then.
And thanks to Javi's development under TCC he made up his mind to go to toronto instead of other places.

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
I remember it was before he went to TCC.
So sometime 2011 and below. He wa still very young then.
And thanks to Javi's development under TCC he made up his mind to go to toronto instead of other places.
Oh yes I remember him contemplatin Russia of all places. It would hav been disastrous if Yuzu wnt to Russia than to Orser. Glad fate guided him to TCC

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So in light of Yuzuru´s words at the end of CiOUNTU, I thought I would post this article here.

Michael Phelps talks about dealing with depression and thoughts of suicide after London´s Olympics. This article is in spanish.

He says:
To reach Olympics is a hard 4 years of work, and when they end you feel lost.
Lots of elite sportsmen/ women suffer from depression and this one gets stronger after competitions
He didn´t share his problems with depression for fear of rejection
He feels that no other athlete (obviously he didn´t watch Yuzuru´s show) from Olympics talks about this because they are suppose to be strong and without weakness
When he decided to talk about his mental problems it became easier to deal with them

From CNN (in english)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
How do Yuzus GP assignments work?

He goes to NHK automatically every year. Like he gets first dibs on NHK and Skate Canada?

GP assignment order first goes by the WC results of the previous season. World Champion picks first, then the silver medalist (who cannot go to any of the GP the Champion chose), and then the bronze medalist gets the reamining two, and the process is repeated with 4-5-6. Since Yuzu finished no lower than 2nd since 2014, he always got picked for NHK (Home picks sometimes go even above the world medalists choices, for example even if Javi and Yuzu both finished above Boyang at Worlds 2016, they wouldn’t be able to pick COC because the Chinese Fed host picks Boyang).
Now this year Yuzu skipped Worlds and the Olympics don’t count for this process. After the WC results, I think World Standings are the following selection criteria, making Yuzu elegible for at least 1 GP event (but he will surely get invited for a second one because having Yuzu at your GP guarantees good assistance). It will be interesting to see if he does get NHK, because as world silver medalist, Shoma picks first, but JSF wouldn’t want their top two to skate against each other and potentially harm each other’s chances of making the Final. My guess is that they will choose Yuzu since he is still their #1 (and sells tickets better than anyone).

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
GP assignment order first goes by the WC results of the previous season. World Champion picks first, then the silver medalist (who cannot go to any of the GP the Champion chose), and then the bronze medalist gets the reamining two, and the process is repeated with 4-5-6. Since Yuzu finished no lower than 2nd since 2014, he always got picked for NHK (Home picks sometimes go even above the world medalists choices, for example even if Javi and Yuzu both finished above Boyang at Worlds 2016, they wouldn’t be able to pick COC because the Chinese Fed host picks Boyang).
Now this year Yuzu skipped Worlds and the Olympics don’t count for this process. After the WC results, I think World Standings are the following selection criteria, making Yuzu elegible for at least 1 GP event (but he will surely get invited for a second one because having Yuzu at your GP guarantees good assistance). It will be interesting to see if he does get NHK, because as world silver medalist, Shoma picks first, but JSF wouldn’t want their top two to skate against each other and potentially harm each other’s chances of making the Final. My guess is that they will choose Yuzu since he is still their #1 (and sells tickets better than anyone).
So some skaters only get invited to 1 GP event?? Wow....

I think Yuzu might pick Skate Canada then

khtmyzr

Final Flight
So in light of Yuzuru´s words at the end of CiOUNTU, I thought I would post this article here.

Michael Phelps talks about dealing with depression and thoughts of suicide after London´s Olympics. This article is in spanish.

Thank you for the article, it was a good read. I never knew about Phelps’ story... I like how he highlighted that we need to bring the issue to the table and address it instead of being hush hush about it and treat it as a taboo. People need to see that the problem is real and there’s nothing wrong with mentioning it.

And hello everyone, a new fan of yuzuru here :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you for the article, it was a good read. I never knew about Phelps’ story... I like how he highlighted that we need to bring the issue to the table and address it instead of being hush hush about it and treat it as a taboo. People need to see that the problem is real and there’s nothing wrong with mentioning it.

And hello everyone, a new fan of yuzuru here :)

Welcome to the fan fest and Golden Skate, post often. :ghug:

Enero

On the Ice

Thanks for the breakdown on this. I’ve never been completely clear on how the GP competitions are assigned. I think Yuzuru will definitely do NHK and perhaps Rostelem Cup, like he did this year. Both competitions are later in the season which will give him more time to heal and prepare, if it’s needed.

Though I do wish he’d do a North American assignment again. It would give us NA fans an opportunity to see him skate in person. 😊 He hasn’t done Skate Canada or Skate America in years.

They both know that taking off a year in this men’s field would be very unwise. The talent is so deep and the sport is changing drastically year to year. Plus I can’t see Yuzuru “relaxing” or doing shows for a year then coming back. He’s too competitive. The only thing that will keep him away is an injury.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
So some skaters only get invited to 1 GP event?? Wow....

I think Yuzu might pick Skate Canada then

It's actually very common, there are many many skaters and not enough spots to fit them all. Top skaters are the ones that get 2 GPs.
You can find more information on the matter here in the section "Designation of Skaters". It's from a past season but these things don't change much throughout the years.

Thanks for the breakdown on this. I’ve never been completely clear on how the GP competitions are assigned. I think Yuzuru will definitely do NHK and perhaps Rostelem Cup, like he did this year. Both competitions are later in the season which will give him more time to heal and prepare, if it’s needed.
The criteria is not always very clear, no one really knows for sure what goes on there but this is what I've come to understand. Please refer to the link above for more information :)

Though I do wish he’d do a North American assignment again. It would give us NA fans an opportunity to see him skate in person. 😊 He hasn’t done Skate Canada or Skate America in years.

Well he did go to SC in the 2015-2016 and the 2016-2017 seasons, and even last season even though he chose Rostelecom he went to Autumn Classic as well, I would like for him to have a NA GP because the traveling takes a lesser toll on the body...but Yuzu never does too well at SC :biggrin: