Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/162588835769/the-world-of-figure-skating-music-spun-by-sound
Another translation how cuts for SEIMEI and H&L were done. Poor Mr. Yano he had to do 33 versions for SEIMEI :drama:and wow , I had no idea that Ghibli was so strict about using their music.

:shocked: oh wow they really went through a lot to get the permission for H&L. I wonder if that is the reason why we don't see that many Hisaishi programs, or if it was the matter of merging two songs that made it necessary to get the composer's personal approval.
Also, a bit OT but yes, Ghilbi seems strict about the use if their music. I wonder how Elizabet and her team managed to get the permission for Princess Mononoke, or if it wasn't that hard given the music remained relatively unedited.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
While Joe Hisaishi often composes for Ghibli, I think Asian Dream Song and View of Silence are not connected to Ghibli. This might be why Kozuka had problems with the Nausicaä piece, because Ghibli AND Joe Hisaishi were involved.

Wow, what work went into Seimei. I almost wish he would repeat it...almost. I love how involved he is in the music selection. It certainly translates to his performances on the ice, that he has such an input! :agree: Thanks for sharing the article & translation.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
ACI schedule is out:
Friday, September 22, 2017 20:15 Men – Short Program
Saturday, September 23, 2017 20:40 MEN – Free Skating

Note: I didn't know the mods had to review links to ISU communications on the FFs? I didn't realize why I was having issues posting it. Sorry for the double (triple?) posting.

Usually, there isn't a problem...it could be the length of your URL? if it is too long, the post will get flagged. I have that problem sometimes.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Usually, there isn't a problem...it could be the length of your URL? if it is too long, the post will get flagged. I have that problem sometimes.

I don't think it was long at all.

I have posted similar links in the Edge in the past and didn't have an issue. Maybe it's related to security reasons with downloadable content in FFs since they're not as closely monitored? Either way, the error gibberish I got didn't really indicate the reason why it was giving me gibberish. I thought it was just a forum hiccup, which is why I tried to re-post and only the second time did I check the inbox to see why I kept receiving messages. May be something to drop in the Feedback section, that it's not an intuitive error to understand the cause of, which may lead to attempts to repost before one thinks to check the inbox.

Edit: NOW it worked. I also used the QUOTE function when I meant to use CODE :palmf: so I'm lucky it got through.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't think it was long at all.

I have posted similar links in the Edge in the past and didn't have an issue. Maybe it's related to security reasons with downloadable content in FFs since they're not as closely monitored? Either way, the error gibberish I got didn't really indicate the reason why it was giving me gibberish. I thought it was just a forum hiccup, which is why I tried to re-post and only the second time did I check the inbox to see why I kept receiving messages. May be something to drop in the Feedback section, that it's not an intuitive error to understand the cause of, which may lead to attempts to repost before one thinks to check the inbox.

Edit: NOW it worked. I also used the QUOTE function when I meant to use CODE :palmf: so I'm lucky it got through.

Glad it works now.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
July is the most slow month for Yuzu news. So I'm going back to old videos and watching them while we wait for things to start up again. This is one I watched today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1VT6iqs948&t=6s
Yuzu getting his first 4CC silver medal. He was the only one to successfully land a quad in this competition. How times have changed.
What videos have you been watching lately?

I am watching WC H&L (Italian commentators), the commentators are so much fun, so passionate and those comments just fly out with no filter at all. Its a cheery on top of the perfect performance.
I am also watching "Hana ni nare", this program always feel so comfortable, maybe because its not a competition program, and it was meant to comfort people originally.

yude

Record Breaker
:shocked: oh wow they really went through a lot to get the permission for H&L. I wonder if that is the reason why we don't see that many Hisaishi programs, or if it was the matter of merging two songs that made it necessary to get the composer's personal approval.
Also, a bit OT but yes, Ghilbi seems strict about the use if their music. I wonder how Elizabet and her team managed to get the permission for Princess Mononoke, or if it wasn't that hard given the music remained relatively unedited.

I wondered that, too. Yuzuru's team had to send a few people to Hisaishi's office to get the permission, how Elizabet's team could manage while they were in Canada? I don't know, Yuzuru's team might have only thought they should get the permission before causing any trouble because they would create totally new piece of music using Hisaishi's pieces, unlike Elizabet's case.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I wondered that, too. Yuzuru's team had to send a few people to Hisaishi's office to get the permission, how Elizabet's team could manage while they were in Canada? I don't know, Yuzuru's team might have only thought they should get the permission before causing any trouble because they would create totally new piece of music using Hisaishi's pieces, unlike Elizabet's case.

It's is indeed very interesting, Xiangning LI of china also skated to Princess Mononoke this year, also back in 1993 Chen Lu used Nausicaä . I got really curious if they got same kind of permission as Yuzuru.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I think the extra mile they had to go through was probably because the FS music required combining two different pieces of music to do an entirely different piece from the one intended by Hisaishi.

kiches

Final Flight
On the topic of requesting permission for music, I took the interview with Yano to mean that most athletes and music editors don't request permission from the artist to use their music for programs. I'm not sure how Kozuka's situation came about, it sounds like his own team edited and then presented the edited music to Hisaishi's team for blessing before letting them know of their intentions to do so only to find out after they had issue with it. Out of consideration to the artist they probably changed it, even if they didn't necessarily need to and could've used it as-is, but not in good conscience since they know Hisaishi didn't approve it. Since we don't know the original edit we can't be sure if they originally edited more than one piece together or just a single song, so it could be that the issue they had was with the changing and combination of two pieces to one.

Since Yano had experience with this and knew Kozuka hadn't received their blessing to use the music when they tried to edit it themselves, he told Yuzu and his team to seek Hisaishi's permission/blessing out of respect for him as an artist and due to past experience. Perhaps if the skater or music editor isn't Japanese or familiar with Hisaishi none of this would've happened and they would just edit and use the piece as they like (I assume that's what Elizabet's team and others who have used Hisaishi's music without any ties to Hisaishi would do).

quad ax

Rinkside
2017 WC was very first competition I watched. When Yuzu did Ina Bauer at the end of performance, after sucessful 7 jumps, I feel as if there's shouting, "The Legend(王者) has Revived!!!" 😁😁😁😁

jace93

On the Ice
a bit off topic, but...Am I the only one wondering what music genre Yuzu couldn't skate to? maybe Latin music?

kiches

Final Flight
a bit off topic, but...Am I the only one wondering what music genre Yuzu couldn't skate to? maybe Latin music?

I think many of us are wondering what he'll skate to for his free! Right now I'm more nervous than excited after he already announced Chopin since it's a threepeat program so I am keeping the expectations low but hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
2017 WC was very first competition I watched. When Yuzu did Ina Bauer at the end of performance, after sucessful 7 jumps, I feel as if there's shouting, "The Legend(王者) has Revived!!!" 😁😁😁😁
You're lucky that this was your first competition. :biggrin: I did a lot of shouting too!

Yeah, I don't see him skating to latin music...in my head...he could prove us wrong.

I think many of us are wondering what he'll skate to for his free! Right now I'm more nervous than excited after he already announced Chopin since it's a threepeat program so I am keeping the expectations low but hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm fully prepared for a Seimei repeat. But hoping against hope for something new. :ghug:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice

I might be a bit off topic as well... after reading your questions, I immediately have a picture in my mind, "what will be Yuzu's reaction, when we said he can't skate Latin music?" LOL

He might be able to, slowly. When he skate Parisienne walkways, he also agree that he try to be sexy, but he was kind of half way there. But when it comes to Let's go crazy, I can feel the change in him, he already have this natural move and expression, that is definitely level up sexy . (Maybe its because of the magic pants, :eek:: )