Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019 | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

yude

Record Breaker
This is an interesting article written by Taisuke Goto published on July 19 on internet.

https://dot.asahi.com/aera/2018071800034.html?page=1

Yuzuru Hanyu achieved the second consecutive title at the PyeongChang Olympics. And one medal was added to him again ── People's Honor Award . It is a proof that his existence has had a big impact on the people. Not only impression and courage, his practice style casts a message to the society.

"Your thoughts pushed my back."

"I think I was awarded thanks to many people who have opened up (the field of figure skating? He didn't say what) so far, with the blessing of good environment."

The words by Yuzuru Hanyu, who received People's Honor Award on July 2, were full of a lot of appreciation and respect for the fans and the people concerned supported him.

When he was asked how he felt at the news of receiving the award, he said, "I felt everyone's power will be returned to them.", "The power of all of you has been given to me, and to give you back, I have to respond to your expectations.", he mentioned "everyone" more than 10 times. He also used the expression "many people" and repeatedly expressed his gratitude from the heart to his surroundings over and over again.

Directly or indirectly, many people engaged and supported Hanyu. Hanyu may have thought a lot about how to express his thankfulness in words.

However, sports is not the only side supported by the society. People's Honor Award is awarded to those who gave the people deep inspiration and courage, gave the society bright dream and hope. Sports and athletes can be the side that support society.

Hanyu is an existence that can greatly impact society through his efforts and actions in the sport. Overcoming the difficulties caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake and the big injury just before PyeongChang Olympics, he achieved a worldwide accomplishment of being a double Olympic champion in Men's figure skating for the first time in 66 years, and gave us emotion.

Buried in such a famous story, there are other stories of Hanyu which can have good influence on the society. One of them is the short practice time.

In January of 2013, the season he moved his base to Toronto, Canada, he said, "In last season (in Japan), I was practicing for about 45 minutes. I feel like it (practice in Toronto) is a treat. I had not done it that much in Japan." After Grand Prix Final held in France in December 2016, he said, "I flatter myself that my training time is much shorter than other skaters'." A coach, Shoichiro Tsuzuki, who taught Hanyu in the elementary school days, also says, "He is an efficient skater. The amount of his practice is about one-third of other skaters' if we compare."

Hanyu's skating life has been a battle against injury and illness. He can not let go of medicine with asthma holding, there was the case the attack appeared after Sochi Olympics of 2014. He has a small appetite and is easy to catch a cold. Not only both ankles, hips, left knee, he has also hurt his back and neck as well.

In order to avoid injury and illness, Hanyu made practice hours shorter. Four days a week, or five days at most. Practice time on the ice per day is about two hours. It is shorter compared to other Japanese skaters who skate about 4 hours, 6 or 7 days a week.

He compensated for short time practice by "doing research". He calls body movements common in the successful jumps "greatest common divisor" and has written down in the notebook.

"In what point I was wrong, in what point I was good and able to jump, I keep going through that and building my theory. Then I can see something like absolute findable points.", Hanyu said. Before PyeongChang Olympics, he sprained right ankle and took a rest for about two months, but he got a gold medal in a month's practice period. Even if he takes a rest for a certain period of time, he can regain in a short time the same feeling as those of before taking a rest. It may be because he has been making efforts to have good performances with short practice time.

In Japan, the long practice time has been a virtue in the sports. And it is not just about the world of sports. Japanese respect themselves to spend a long time on one thing.

Long-term efforts bring good results, of course, but negative aspects are also told. Long hours working in Japan would be one of bad examples. The society has been seeking for human resources displaying selfless devotion, and it can be said that the club activities in school etc, have also been producing the same kind in order to meet the need of society.

In modern times, however, it has been required to produce efficient results in a short time and different values ​​from others. Even in the club activities, there are players and teams have started to aim for the good results with short practice hours.

The method of having short time practice on ice can be said as Hanyu's own approach that he is not caught by the evaluation of the public and ruler. Hanyu embodied a new flow of sports and society in Japan that can shorten the time and supply by studying and devising.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation @yude! Training smart is more and more important as athletes become older. I'm glad Yuzu was able to grasp this early.

Imov

Medalist
@yude that article was amazing. Working smart is really a great thing.
Yuzu has really outsmarted his asthma to get to his dream

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Thank you for the translation, Yude!
Reading Yuzuru’s approach reminds me of Brian in one of his interviews where he said something along the line of quality over quantity for practices.

———
I’m late to the long hair discussion but I would love to see Yuzu styled like Kenshin from the Rurouni Kenshin manga/anime/movie :biggrin:

sun110

Final Flight
Thanks for the translation @Yude!
Yuzu actually has a relatively long senior career, despite all the injuries. Other than his early start and determination, training in an efficient way must have contributed to it too.

sun110

Final Flight
I don't think this was posted?

@judy711117
http://www.hakuhodody-media.co.jp/newsrelease/report/20180719_22705.html
"Athlete image evaluation survey" - Hakuhodo Media Partners
Yuzuru's ranking
○ Athlete image total ranking: 1st place
○ Athlete image evaluation
· "Refreshing" athlete: 1st place
· "Cool" athlete: 2nd place
· "Having technique ability" athlete: 1st place
https://twitter.com/judy711117/status/1019870044392574976

Also
Congratulations to Ice Jewels Photobook released on July 14th, 4th place with 8607 books sold just only one day!!!

https://twitter.com/judy711117/status/1020530811953528832

yude

Record Breaker
I think the most interesting about Goto's article is that he compares Yuzuru's working routine to the Japanese old working method. I'm always feeling Japanese people work too hard and long (perhaps in your countries, too?), sometimes they died from working in the office too long, not taking day off or sleeping less cause damage to their health. It is good that it has been changing, but it is not easy to get both efficiency and the result (we are told everyday "think something to go home early!" in the office. :laugh:). Yuzuru is talented in figure skating and that may contribute to his short practice time, but I think he might be able to do the same in other fields because he is smart ;)

sun110

Final Flight
Yuzu's dedication to off-ice training may also compensate the short time of on-ice training? Would be nice if they also do an article about his off ice training.

sun110

Final Flight
Thank you! Dory is so pretty in HD:luv17: But I still can't forget the 1st pic we saw of it and how traumatized we were:p

Status
Not open for further replies.