Kazuki Tomono | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

KiraraChin

Medalist
You can console yourself with one of my favorite sayings, "You can't have everything; where would you put it?" :biggrin:
Thanks for keeping the thread updated! Such a long wait till Nationals...

Haha no worries! That saying is very true... :biggrin:

Guys, Kazuki so far has the 5th highest mean score for step sequence this season! https://skatingscores.com/1920/men/stsq/
He's only below Kevin Aymoz, Jason Brown, Yuzuru Hanyu, and Nathan Chen! :yahoo:
Last season he used to get StSq Level 2/3 all the time. What an improvement! Also, I remember Taichi Honda and Shu Nakamura said Kazuki was known as 'The Prince of Steps' as a novice... I guess he's now ready to reclaim this title :laugh:

Speaking of it, check out these two cute fan arts with his step sequences: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5yF-N4lmRD/

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Haha no worries! That saying is very true... :biggrin:

Guys, Kazuki so far has the 5th highest mean score for step sequence this season! https://skatingscores.com/1920/men/stsq/
He's only below Kevin Aymoz, Jason Brown, Yuzuru Hanyu, and Nathan Chen! :yahoo:
Last season he used to get StSq Level 2/3 all the time. What an improvement! Also, I remember Taichi Honda and Shu Nakamura said Kazuki was known as 'The Prince of Steps' as a novice... I guess he's now ready to reclaim this title :laugh:

Speaking of it, check out these two cute fan arts with his step sequences: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5yF-N4lmRD/

I’m glad to hear this. He totally deserves it!

Not too long til Nationals, I hope Kazuki will do well :pray:

Tsurara

On the Ice
Hiya, sorry for my long absence! I've been away from internet for a few days and trying to catch up with everything now! So exhausting!
Osaka's City Skating Experience and Ice show
First thing's first, I wonder if he or someone very close to him heard/read your hair talk!!! and it's like as if he was screaming to me that what I assumed (about his hair) was totally wrong! :laugh: Anyways, whether he heard you guys or not :biggrin: he did MR with his natural hair without slicking it back at this ice show just as you wished! (as in, Ask, and it will be given to thee!?)

ETA: Kazuki posted a great pic of the ice show! https://www.instagram.com/p/B5e5bvWHPP8/
All big names in local figure skating for a local show, and Tomono-kun as the leader of the show, that's amazing!
Front from left: Ayaka Hosoda, who didn't perform but directed (and choreod?) the finale, Ayumi Shibayama (novice), Mana Kawabe (jr), Yuna Shiraiwa, and Moa Iwano (jr)
Back: Ryoga Morimoto (novice), Shunsuke Nakamura (jr), Nozomu Yoshioka (jr), Kazuki Tomono, Mitsuki Sumoto, and Taichi Honda

Osaka Prefecture Sports tournament (free skate only).
Here's an article (in Japanese) https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191201-12010932-nksports-spo
And I was actually a bit relieved to read that he again had his slicked back hair in this tournament, as I personally enjoy watching him with that hair style for the program.
Just Tomono-kun's part (the following URL is the original article's):
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912010000932.html
Tomono won with 151.25 in Free, reaping a substantial result for Nats
It was the last actual competition before Nats, and he said "More points remained (after subtracting negative GOEs from the score) than I expected," with a smile.
He fell on his opening 4T as he said「歩数を合わせられなかった」{I don't know how to translate this, but means his strides went wrong for the take-off}, but he landed the following 4S. He popped his 3A into 1A, but everything else went fine for him.
His quads are getting better in training, and he said "(What's remarkable as) my growth/development is that I can look at other problems other than quads," with a smile. He is now seeking qualities in other jumps for GOE as well, to cap for Nats.​

Btw, this competition was also a preliminary for Kokutai. If Tomono-kun gets to do 4CC, then Mitsuki and Taichi will be attending it, just as they discussed in Doshisha and Kandai's interview sessions.

Kazuki received a banner and some training gear from Central Sports: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5txqctHdMq/
Can we all appreciate how strong he looks in the 3rd pic :eeking:
It's really nice of them to do this. It has messages from the staff AND other athletes supported by Central Sports as well. I'm impressed, he's got a real nice and heartwarming sponsor.

Also, remember that amazing Kazuki-inspired sculpture that I posted before? It's ready!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5tjQ9zpXf1/
I wish I could have it :laugh:
Very nice! I remember this artist for his Seimei Cats (for Hanyu).
https://necologic.crayonsite.net/p/14/
So probably a fan made a special order for Tomono-kun.
https://necologic.crayonsite.net/p/8/
You can find the 'Let's Go Crazy' Cat (scroll down to the last one) on sale at 259,200 yen.
I can't help but wonder how much this MR Otter costs :eek: But then, many hard-core fs fans are rich and the cost may not be a big deal for them.:slink:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Welcome back, Tsurara! We missed you :luv17:

Thanks for all the info! I like the idea that Kazuki changed his hair to please us :laugh:

Did you guys see QA magazine published an interview with Kazuki and Hiraike-sensei, called '15 years of partnership'
https://twitter.com/AxelQuadruple/status/1204713634972102656
Man, I wish I could read it!

Just Tomono-kun's part (the following URL is the original article's):
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912010000932.html
Tomono won with 151.25 in Free, reaping a substantial result for Nats
It was the last actual competition before Nats, and he said "More points remained (after subtracting negative GOEs from the score) than I expected," with a smile.
He fell on his opening 4T as he said「歩数を合わせられなかった」{I don't know how to translate this, but means his strides went wrong for the take-off}, but he landed the following 4S. He popped his 3A into 1A, but everything else went fine for him.
His quads are getting better in training, and he said "(What's remarkable as) my growth/development is that I can look at other problems other than quads," with a smile. He is now seeking qualities in other jumps for GOE as well, to cap for Nats.​

OMG I'm so, so happy to read this. One of the many things I admire about Kazuki is how he strives to be a complete skater, even if the sport as a whole is all about 'quads, quads, quads' in recent years. I'm so glad he's trying to focus on his skating in general, not just the quads!

It's really nice of them to do this. It has messages from the staff AND other athletes supported by Central Sports as well. I'm impressed, he's got a real nice and heartwarming sponsor.
Awwww I hadn't appreciated it had messages from other athletes as well! Like they're one big family. So sweet, Kazuki's sponsors are super nice :luv17:

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Hiya, sorry for my long absence! I've been away from internet for a few days and trying to catch up with everything now! So exhausting!

First thing's first, I wonder if he or someone very close to him heard/read your hair talk!!! and it's like as if he was screaming to me that what I assumed (about his hair) was totally wrong! :laugh: Anyways, whether he heard you guys or not :biggrin: he did MR with his natural hair without slicking it back at this ice show just as you wished! (as in, Ask, and it will be given to thee!?)

Hello!!! I think he reads us sometimes :) At least, I would read this forum, maybe not right before competitions, but sometimes it's nice to look at what your fans are saying about you :laugh:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Hello!!! I think he reads us sometimes :) At least, I would read this forum, maybe not right before competitions, but sometimes it's nice to look at what your fans are saying about you :laugh:

Loool I just imagine him reading us and going: "Not the hair talk again..." :laugh2:

Aaaaaahhhh so close to Nationals! Hope Kazuki's training is going well :pray::pray::pray:

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Hi everyone!!! Japanese Nationals are getting closer and someone (Misha) is in Osaka! I know that not everyone here is a fan of Misha but at least we will (hopefully) get some news about Kazuki and moreover he seems also more confident when he has Misha by his side. :)

KiraraChin

Medalist
Hi everyone!!! Japanese Nationals are getting closer and someone (Misha) is in Osaka! I know that not everyone here is a fan of Misha but at least we will (hopefully) get some news about Kazuki and moreover he seems also more confident when he has Misha by his side. :)

Yaassssss thanks for the heads up, Giu! Yes, I think having Misha around is a good thing for Kazuki, and also Misha might give us some nice Kazuki content :biggrin:

Also, check out Fuji TV's Kazuki profile: https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/figure/skater/KazukiTOMONO.html
Some nice pics there :luv17:

Tsurara

On the Ice
Doshisha Atom's Special Interview:love:
https://twitter.com/atom_doshisha/status/1206523011139948544
http://doshisha-atom.net/web/result.php?no=2603
I'll try to work on it tonight and/or tomorrow, but I don't think I can finish it before I go to bed today, so, get Prof. Google work for you for now... sorry about that! :pray:

Let's hope Misha delivers us goodies soon! :hap57:

Love this year's Fuji's skater pic of Tomono-kun! Btw, have you realized he's basically everywhere in other skaters' photos too!? Start counting how many pics you can find him in :laugh:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Doshisha Atom's Special Interview:love:
https://twitter.com/atom_doshisha/status/1206523011139948544
I'll try to work on it tonight and/or tomorrow, but I don't think I can finish it before I go to bed today, so, get Prof. Google work for you for now... sorry about that! :pray:
Thank you so much, Tsurara! :luv17: I'm looking forward to reading your translation. From the gist of what I got from Google, it seems he's in a much better place mentally compared to last year, and that makes me really happy :love:

Love this year's Fuji's skater pic of Tomono-kun! Btw, have you realized he's basically everywhere in other skaters' photos too!? Start counting how many pics you can find him in :laugh:

Oooooohhhh I hadn't checked the profiles of the other skaters! I've seen him in Shoma's, Keiji's and Sota's - anyone else?

Tsurara

On the Ice
Oooooohhhh I hadn't checked the profiles of the other skaters! I've seen him in Shoma's, Keiji's and Sota's - anyone else?
:devil:Sorry, that was a bit too much of my exaggeration out of hype! Takahashi, Kaori, Satoko, Wakaba...and where else!? ha ha, sorry, but not too many!

---

Okay, as for the translation, it was way longer than I first thought for the limited time I have on my working days, so just the first half for today. (As always, please feel free to correct them!!!)

---

ーーLooking back at this season, how has it been so far?

Tomono: At the beginning of the season, some things were quite off (not clicking). (But) every time I competed, things have gradually gotten better and my score went up. I hope it keeps going like this at this rate toward Nats.

ーーWhat exactly did you feel were off?

Tomono: Jumps and such in particular. But the completion level of my performance itself wasn't good (it was rough and in a barely finished state) after all. As I competed more and practiced more, it's now rapidly getting closer to its completion (into a polished work). I hope I can step up to the next stage, to keep this up at this rate, and to deliver a better performance at Nats.

*I hate this word, 完成度/kansei-do, lit. the level of completion/perfection, but many people use it as a common term. It refers to how finished-form or polished something is.

ーーWhat did the two GPS experience do to you?

Tomono: First of all, compared to the last season, I got more stable, or more like, I got to see a lot of improvements in those competitions. I didn't podium this time, but, to be honest, I got lucky last year. When I looked solely into the content of my performance, I felt that I improved a lot more than last year. Both mentally and technically I could feel my own growth a lot.

ーーEvaluate your own PCS going higher

Tomono: Once I decided to do what (and/or how) I wanted to, my performance started clicking for me, or like, it all started coming together as my own performance. I had been thinking too much that I had to get it done somehow, and I wasn't really present, instead I was as though manipulated by the choreography alone.
Now, it feels like I've been absorbing the choreo as my own. That, I believe, you can see from my later scores too. I've been checking every detail on video and been fixing them one by one. And as the season passes toward the end, all those are bearing fruits, and every game I compete, the score is going up, I think.

ーーWhat are the highlights of your programs, and what do you specially pay attention to?

Tomono: SP is a pretty uinique program. The music is distinct, and the choreo is memorable/impressive, so that's the biggest highlight, I think. In terms of jumps, it's worthy to note that I'm having 2 quads in it.
As for FS, the music has great drive, a sense of speed, and it's dynamic and explicit, so that's what I want people to see. This year, I particularly worked on the steps, and that showed up as points. I want you to check out those steps. Both in SP and FS, steps are particularly what I'd like to show you all.

ーーAny particular reasons that you picked those pieces?

Tomono: The choreographers brought me some and I picked them, that's all. [laugh]

ーーYour SP is indeed very unique, though.

Tomono: Not many people would use it, and at first I wasn't too sure about it either. But I got an amazing choreography for it and I find it really suits me so well.

ーーYour strong points?

Tomono: Expressiveness, or my selling power for it, steps included, in terms of attracting people (engaging an audience), I'm relatively more confident with it than others. I want to bring my strong points forward.

ーーWhat does Nationals mean to you?

Tomono: To me, it's like, it dictates the whole year or that sort... Well, yes, everything is determined at Nats. Be it Worlds or other competitions, you have to do Nats to get picked for Team Japan. And it's the competition where you have to bring out all the best efforts you've had in the year. I'm sure it's the same for everyone else, it's the most important competition. It's a truly significant one for myself.

ーーWhat are you aiming for at Nats?

Tomono: I've been aiming for the podium for several years. I've placed 4th, just one step short of making it. This time around, making it to the podium will be the key for me, to be picked for the team and everything. Placing within 3rd place, the podium, is what I aim for.

ーーPotential-wise (how confident are you)?

Tomono: Whoever did it, wins. So, like Yuzuru Hanyu, and Shoma Uno... well, to be honest, the actual gap is too big unless you have something special of your own...
Whether competing for the third or second, it all comes down to the level of the completion/perfection (finishedness) and that matters. Whoever does his best performance will get it. So, if you can deliver the best possible performance, the result will follow, I believe.

ーーYour changes in mind between after Kinki and Western Sectionals

Tomono: Since Skate America, or before Western Sectionals, I kinda shook it (negatives) off in a good way. I got really positive toward competitions, I learned that being depressed didn't help. I struggled last season too, so that... It's of course important to look back at the negative parts too, but instead of reviewing them, I started to focus on how to improve them as my priority.
In order to improve them, I had to focus on how to improve them. Trying to figure out what kind of mentality and what kind of training/practice I needed, and then by actually working on them, the negative images I had faded away.
And also, most importantly, I realized that I shouldn't be too concerned about results. When I was too worried about my result in a competition, I couldn't deliver my own performance well. I've felt so the last few years and kind of like, I finally managed to shake that (trying to get results) off. By focusing on doing my own performance and trying to do what/how I want to do to perform, I've managed to overcome a little bit. Of course, I still have to deal with my anxious thoughts and sometimes I feel down too, but I'm now aware of what I need mentally in a competition.

To be continued

KiraraChin

Medalist
Okay, as for the translation, it was way longer than I first thought for the limited time I have on my working days, so just the first half for today. (As always, please feel free to correct them!!!)
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really love this interview, he seems so positive and in a much better place mentally than last season :pray:
Of course reaching the podium at Nats won't be easy, but this is such a step in the right direction.

He's at official practice BTW, and landed 4S, 4T and 3A3T! https://twitter.com/yuyamamotoSK8/status/1207188002457317376 :clap:

Tsurara

On the Ice
the latter half

ーーWas there some kind of a trigger for that?

Tomono: I talked to many different people. I got really depressed, so I took a break and went to hear many different people's opinions, and...
Then, I figured, struggling for competition wasn't really for me. I felt what I really needed was to face up to competition, or rather, my performance. As I talked to many, it made me realize that my genuine self was totally missing/absent from my current (previous) performance. That was the biggest thing that changed my outlook. I started thinking that it's (perfectly) fine to face a competition in my own style.

ーーWere you under pressure for having competed at Worlds?

Tomono: Right. That too worked me up and choke me under pressure, I was trying too hard to get results. I wasn't able to be myself, to skate the way I wanted to in competition.
Now I'm able to admit and accept the fact. That being said, of course I'm usually working hard and trying to reach the top (level) as I should, and I still feel the pressure in competition too, but I'm not feeling it too much now, or... how should I put it?
I can't perform the way I want to when I'm being too conscious of that (pressure). It got a lot easier for me when I started focusing on my own self and my own performance that I wanted to deliver. For such a long time I had been facing a competition while having lost track of my self awareness, and that was because I was too concerned about results.
Instead, I'm now trying to be aware of myself and what I want to do. I shouldn't let my mind succumb to pressure. Once I started caring about myself, in competition too, it felt like I restored myself somehow. It may not come off well like that at Nationals, but I hope to defeat the pressure.

ーーToward Nats, what are you planning to improve?

Tomono: The quality of each single thing (element), really. You know, I can easily lose loads of points just by having a cluttered landing. Nats is where you can't overlook such (a simple mistake), I believe, and I want to be prepared not to make one...
But I can't always avoid mistakes with big guns anyways, so I want to polish what I absolutely can constantly make out, like triples and 3A. I want to perfectly polish them so that they won't dampen (the programs with) quads. I want to work on them further to make a stable and strong foundation (of the programs). Of course, I want to improve accuracy for quads (for stableness) too. There are just too many things to do, but for now I'm just trying to raise the qualities.

ーーIs having 2 quads in SP exhausting?

Tomono: It's mentally tough, rather than physical exhaustion. It's gradually getting better in practice. At first it was so hard even when I was just practicing. But now, at least in practice, I'm picking up my pace for them, or know how to adapt them in my own performance. It's getting better in competition too, though little by little. Now, I just have to bring all out and make it work in competition.
To practice them, I still find it difficult time to time, or more like, I get more nervous because of the limited number of jumps (in SP). It's about how I manage to shake it off to deal with my nerves, believing in myself.

ーーYour enthusiasm for Nats

Tomono: I want to bring out everything I've got, what I've been working for a whole year. Then the result will follow. I would like to deliver my performance, showing my efforts throughout a year.

Tomono, in his third Senior year, continues to grow, looking straight ahead. As he values his own feelings, he strives to aim high, generating power from the pressure and people's expectations. He will present the unique performance of his own in this special competition too.

by Doshisha Atom【Covered by 由良恭子, 井代奈那子 Photo by 井代奈那子】

---
I'm sure you all already saw it, but Tomono-kun will be the second last boss in SP on 20th :cheer: Gamba!

https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/japan/index.html
(Maybe it only works with Japanese VPN, though...)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Thanks everyone for the information! I wish I had more time to read it thoroughly, but with Christmas approaching, it's next to impossible :[[ It sounds like Kazuki is mentally well prepared for Nationals though! Good luck to him, I hope he makes the top 6! Artistically he absolutely belongs there, so let's hope he lands his jumps and all the rest.

KiraraChin

Medalist
the latter half
Thank you, Tsurara! :love: What a nice interview. I'm so glad he's feeling more positive, and starting to find his own way of performing well without feeling too much pressure :pray: This is such a vital step in his development, it makes me so happy!

Looking good at the draw at around 26:41. https://youtu.be/exkFf95zROw
Thank you for that! I think he realised it was a tough draw...

So here is the Men SP schedule, and also timezone conversion! https://twitter.com/swanyooh/status/1207292934107721729
Our boy got a tough draw, skating second to last, after Shoma, Yuzuru, and Daisuke. I just hope he puts in practice everything he said in the interview, and focus on himself and his performance without worrying too much about the result! Let's remember he's still in a transitional phase, readjusting to his new body and improved tech/SS.

Speaking of it, he seemed to have done well in practice! I've read that he landed the 4T, 4S and 3A3T.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191218-00000177-spnannex-spo

He looks soooooo good and strong in the practice pictures!
https://mainichi.jp/graphs/20191218/hpj/00m/050/001000g/16
https://mainichi.jp/graphs/20191218/hpj/00m/050/001000g/17
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6NWsEXJ79d/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Ns3o8p7Pl/

Some pics from the draw! :luv17:
https://twitter.com/mromron_58/status/1207239969070149633
https://twitter.com/nekodaifuku1/status/1207231683180654593
https://twitter.com/Summer29child/status/1207234750777135104
https://twitter.com/yuuuuuzuwu/status/1207258463862063104
https://twitter.com/isdick/status/1207242579470741504
https://twitter.com/tmtmwktk/status/1207242261215363072

He was seating at the edge of the first row, next to Keiji. Now it seems that he originally was planning to seat at the back, but Shoma literally grabbed him and and forced him to seat in the front row :rofl:
https://twitter.com/bluerose173/status/1207235011004362757