Kazuki Tomono | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Looks. Just. Great. Go, Kazuki, go! :hap10: Grab that medal.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Kazuki got 216.74 pts in total. He fell on his 1st jump. Looked nervous at the beginning. A rather ambitious program for him.

KiraraChin

Medalist
So... Riverdance didn't really go according to plan :(

But I'm really proud of him. He has really challenging programmes this season, you can tell he's been working hard on his SS and spins, he got higher PCS on his short.

Lots of positive stuff, and I believe once he feels more comfortable with his programmes, he will start landing his jumps.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Good job in recovering after the fall and pop, Kazuki! The steps are looking good.
The nerves may have got him today, I could see the effect the fall on the second jump... he looked tentative going into that second one. Believe in yourself, Kazuki, I believe in you!
Looking forward to see his improvements in the next competition.

AQFS

On the Ice
Ah, finally we saw Riverdance ^^

Despite the problems with jumps (praying for him to get his 4S fully back soon :pray:) and some slips here and there but I think he still delivered a nice performance that shows the potential of how this program could be. And without doubt he still fought to deliver there (Can't get over how he nearly fall as he slipped on ice then directly made his last jump!!)

Hopefully it will just keep getting better from here on and we see more improvements with each competition. Come on Kazuki, you can surely do it!!

Here is a video for the performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFytye--yF4

BTW, I like the new costume :love:

Am I the only one who thinks the Riverdance costume looks like Jason Brown’s when he did his?

There is some resemblance but there a lot of differences as well ^^

Weetos

Final Flight
Am I the only one who thinks the Riverdance costume looks like Jason Brown’s when he did his?

I think they were both just inspired by the same thing haha

This programme is definitely a challenge, and there's lots of room for improvement, but I think he will really grow into it. Nerves were definitely a factor too, so hopefully his confidence will grow. I believe in you Kazuki! :biggrin:

His score would have won US Classic :laugh:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does anyone have a link to Kazuki's FS? I saw a video on youtube yesterday, but it was incredibly choppy.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Really loved his Riverdance ChoreoSq at the end! :clap: Such energy and full of youth! :thumbsup: THis free suits Kazuki to a tee I thought. Will look forward to see how he can develop this wonderful free as the season deepens. :cool:

Weetos

Final Flight
Skate Canada feels a long way away, and I'm going to be on holiday as well so might not even be able to watch :drama:

Imov

Medalist
Kazuki is good in expressiveness too.
I am sure he will develop a lot in this season.

AQFS

On the Ice
Really loved his Riverdance ChoreoSq at the end! :clap: Such energy and full of youth! :thumbsup: THis free suits Kazuki to a tee I thought. Will look forward to see how he can develop this wonderful free as the season deepens. :cool:

I love that last part as well although he was a bit out of sync may be because of the slip before the jump that missed a bit of his timing (we saw it better and in sync in the practice)

And since the official broadcast blocked the audiences, it is nice to see this fan taken video that show the whole atmosphere during his FS performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ0zsHi1fsg

On the other hand, can someone stop these two from being this CUTE, it is not good for my heart :love::laugh: but still, I am looking forward to more of them together in Skate Canada next month ^^

https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/1041082152933371905

KiraraChin

Medalist
Skate Canada feels a long way away, and I'm going to be on holiday as well so might not even be able to watch :drama:

IIRC his next competition will be the Kinki Regional tournament in Japan, facing the legendary Daisuke Takahashi. It will be a great opportunity for him to refine his programmes before his GP assignments.

Now with a cooler head, I'm feeling very proud of Kazuki. Yes, he struggled with his jumps, but there were so many positive points. His spins and StSq are now level 4, and he is really growing into his SP choreo which is reflected on his PCS.

Riverdance is obviously a work in progress but I believe it's just a matter of time until he feels more confident and relaxed with it. I believe once that happens, the jumps will come, too.

I have absolutely no doubt Kazuki will keep working hard and improving. I'm looking forward to seeing him delivering amazing performances this season!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love that last part as well although he was a bit out of sync may be because of the slip before the jump that missed a bit of his timing (we saw it better and in sync in the practice)

And since the official broadcast blocked the audiences, it is nice to see this fan taken video that show the whole atmosphere during his FS performance

On the other hand, can someone stop these two from being this CUTE, it is not good for my heart :love::laugh: but still, I am looking forward to more of them together in Skate Canada next month ^^

Thanks for sharing fancam video. :thank: Always love and am grateful for these video clips because it makes me feel as if I were there, too. :)
Amazing he still could pull out 3Lz right after that slip wasn't it?! :) Kazuki is indeed performer, a joy to watch. Hope he'll have another great season. :yay:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

I hadn't seen this fancam video! Thank you so much for sharing this link! I really enjoyed being able to hear the audience reactions to his performance. :agree:
Is it just me or did that 4S fall look a lot harder in the fancam than it did on the stream footage?

I actually saw Kazuki's score and placement before watching his performance.
At first I felt a bit sad for him, but after watching his FS a few times I began to really appreciate what he was able to accomplish in his first international outing with this program.

First, he was the only man in this event to successfully execute two 3As, both in combination, both receiving +GOE. I'm really proud of him for completing the 3A-Eu-2S. He'll get that 3S on the end eventually. :agree2:
The 3A has been Kazuki's "best" jump for a while now but his consistency with it is what's most impressive. I'm in the process of trying to figure out his success rate with this jump.

Yay! for another StSq4! :clap: This has been a great start after struggling almost the entire last season with StSq2. Please keep it up!
And again, that step sequence is just :love:. My favorite parts are the dance steps and this.

One of the reasons Kazuki tends to be a stronger FS skater is his ability remain focused and maximize points on the fly after an error. He always leaves a solo 3Lz and 3F as the last two jumping passes in his FS in case he needs to make up for a missed combo.
Since he was unable to execute his 4S-2T he attached a 2T to his 3F then immediately entered into his FCCoSp still managing enough rotations for a level 4 spin.

Finally, as many of you have already mentioned Kazuki's successful 3Lz (and fiery ChSq!) after that stumble was a real feat. This is especially true since his Lutz takeoff is still often reviewed by tech panels.
Whether he actually took off from a clear outside edge or just shocked the tech panel into giving him a pass by being able to execute that jump is debatable.
Either way, this was another display of Kazuki's determination and ability to stay calm and deliver under pressure.

Speaking of delivering under pressure, I know some of you had mentioned how nervous Kazuki must've felt to skate first in the SP. Not to say he wasn't nervous but this was definitely not a new experience for him.
He was also first to skate his SP at Junior Worlds 2016 when he was the last minute replacement for Sota Yamamoto. He actually did very well skating a "clean" program including a nice 3A.
I remember Jackie Wong being really impressed that the first two skaters out (Kazuki then Roman Savosin), both relatively unknown names had 3As.
The reason Kazuki received a relatively low score (58.33) was due to an edge call on his 3Lz and doubling his planned 3T of his combo (two common issues for him back then).
His PCS was also quite conservative maybe partially influenced by his early skate.
However, finishing 20th in the SP qualified him for the FS where he placed 12th (15th overall) and helped Japan keep 2 JW spots and get 6? JGP assignments for the following season.
He also managed to update all his PBs at this event.

My apologies for the unnecessary long post. :slink:

KiraraChin

Medalist
I hadn't seen this fancam video! Thank you so much for sharing this link! I really enjoyed being able to hear the audience reactions to his performance. :agree:
Is it just me or did that 4S fall look a lot harder in the fancam than it did on the stream footage?

I actually saw Kazuki's score and placement before watching his performance.
At first I felt a bit sad for him, but after watching his FS a few times I began to really appreciate what he was able to accomplish in his first international outing with this program.

First, he was the only man in this event to successfully execute two 3As, both in combination, both receiving +GOE. I'm really proud of him for completing the 3A-Eu-2S. He'll get that 3S on the end eventually. :agree2:
The 3A has been Kazuki's "best" jump for a while now but his consistency with it is what's most impressive. I'm in the process of trying to figure out his success rate with this jump.

Yay! for another StSq4! :clap: This has been a great start after struggling almost the entire last season with StSq2. Please keep it up!
And again, that step sequence is just :love:. My favorite parts are the dance steps and this.

One of the reasons Kazuki tends to be a stronger FS skater is his ability remain focused and maximize points on the fly after an error. He always leaves a solo 3Lz and 3F as the last two jumping passes in his FS in case he needs to make up for a missed combo.
Since he was unable to execute his 4S-2T he attached a 2T to his 3F then immediately entered into his FCCoSp still managing enough rotations for a level 4 spin.

Finally, as many of you have already mentioned Kazuki's successful 3Lz (and fiery ChSq!) after that stumble was a real feat. This is especially true since his Lutz takeoff is still often reviewed by tech panels.
Whether he actually took off from a clear outside edge or just shocked the tech panel into giving him a pass by being able to execute that jump is debatable.
Either way, this was another display of Kazuki's determination and ability to stay calm and deliver under pressure.

Speaking of delivering under pressure, I know some of you had mentioned how nervous Kazuki must've felt to skate first in the SP. Not to say he wasn't nervous but this was definitely not a new experience for him.
He was also first to skate his SP at Junior Worlds 2016 when he was the last minute replacement for Sota Yamamoto. He actually did very well skating a "clean" program including a nice 3A.
I remember Jackie Wong being really impressed that the first two skaters out (Kazuki then Roman Savosin), both relatively unknown names had 3As.
The reason Kazuki received a relatively low score (58.33) was due to an edge call on his 3Lz and doubling his planned 3T of his combo (two common issues for him back then).
His PCS was also quite conservative maybe partially influenced by his early skate.
However, finishing 20th in the SP qualified him for the FS where he placed 12th (15th overall) and helped Japan keep 2 JW spots and get 6? JGP assignments for the following season.
He also managed to update all his PBs at this event.

My apologies for the unnecessary long post. :slink:

Thank you, Tsuyoboogie, for your analysis, spot on as always! ;)

I'm a new (post-Worlds) Kazuki fan, so it's great to have this "historical" perspective on Kazuki's performances! :)