Kazuki Tomono | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
uahh, Kazuki support messages in Japanese are probably the best way to keep me from my current mission =_= Was happy to see I could understand one of them, the easier one that said 'believe in yourself, you can do it', but what's 子や? Even jisho org doesn't know it. Some sort of slang?

I'm one in this thread who isn't a Misha fan (in his last competitive years especially) so no regrets from me that the two weren't able to meet. Don't mind me. :] Still believe Roxanne is Misha choreographing for Misha, but nice chance for Kazuki to expand his range especially when it comes to movements. But, I'm on the Mills SP fan bandwagon. <3 Fingers crossed that by Nats, Kazuki can skate it to its fullest potential because when he does, the venue will go crazy.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm one in this thread who isn't a Misha fan (in his last competitive years especially) so no regrets from me that the two weren't able to meet. Don't mind me. :] Still believe Roxanne is Misha choreographing for Misha, but nice chance for Kazuki to expand his range especially when it comes to movements. But, I'm on the Mills SP fan bandwagon. <3 Fingers crossed that by Nats, Kazuki can skate it to its fullest potential because when he does, the venue will go crazy.

I think it would have been nice for him to see Misha at this point for psychological support, especially considering Misha's experience as competitor. I'm sure they talk a lot online, but I guess sometimes it's good to have advice 'in person' so to speak. Also, from a purely selfish perspective, whenever Misha's with Kazuki he posts lots of content so I was looking forward to that :laugh:

So, Western Sectionals entries and schedule are out! https://twitter.com/Tomono_Infonet/status/1181707004844183552
In addition to Mitsuki, Shu Nakamura and Taichi Honda, Kazuki will be facing Sota Yamamoto and Daisuke Takahashi :drama:

KiraraChin

Medalist

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Happy birthday Kirara!!!!!:hb:

A lot of news on your day!

I didn't realize Skate America is so close :eeking:
I've heard that many flights (if not all) planned in the next couple of days have been cancelled because of the typhoon coming to Japan tomorrow; I hope he manages to travel safe and on time as to not suffer from jet lag

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
:hb: Happy birthday Kirara, may you have a most lovely day :hb:

A safe flight and good condition for Kazuki :pray:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Happy birthday Kirara!!!!!:hb:

A lot of news on your day!

I didn't realize Skate America is so close :eeking:
I've heard that many flights (if not all) planned in the next couple of days have been cancelled because of the typhoon coming to Japan tomorrow; I hope he manages to travel safe and on time as to not suffer from jet lag

:hb: Happy birthday Kirara, may you have a most lovely day :hb:

A safe flight and good condition for Kazuki :pray:

Thanks, guys! :biggrin:
I also hope Kazuki manages to travel safely.

I got another birthday present! Osaka City posted a little video of Kazuki for the Autumn Sports Challenge! https://twitter.com/kaz9804803/status/1182624665224638465?s=19

Tsurara

On the Ice
Sorry for my long absence! and KiraraChin, sorry that I missed your birthday :pray: but hope you had a great day with some new Tomono-kun videos!

http://doshisha-atom.net/headline/result.php?linkno=5&no=3819
http://doshisha-atom.net/headline/result.php?linkno=5&no=3828
I'll work on these articles by Doshisha Atom later, at least before SkAm hopefully, as they sounded quite different from other media articles. (Those major news articles sounded like Tomono-kun was going all too negative, but Doshisha's wasn't that bad, although we all could feel how he must have felt anyways.) I'm just pasting these links so that I won't forget about them :dev3:

Belated translation to Men-Baka here now:

---
Men-Baka with Kazuki Tomono senshu, figure skater

-We present the 63rd episode with a guest, Ohayo-Call Family meets a figure skater who loves ramen, Kazuki Tomono senshu! Today's theme is ramen cooked by great chefs from different genres. Now, let's go to the VTR, Men-Baka!

Yokoyama: Now, I'm in Suminoe-ward, Osaka city. This sports gym is where the figure skater, Tomono-kun, is training at, I hear. So, let's go in! Now! Let's go! In this (shirt of Men-Baka)!
Y: Found him! There he is!
Y: Tomono-kun, long time no see~!
Tomono: Long time no see!
Y: Done with your training?
T: Yes, finished.
Y: I came here to fulfill my promise today.
T: Eh?
Y: Now, let's go!
T: Uhh, yes?
Y: Let's go!
T: Yes, sir.
Y: Go, go, go, go!
{Note: Yokoyama had his hand forward, looked like towards Tomono-kun. Tomono-kun of course thought he was trying to shake hands with him and he raised his hand too, but it turned out that Yokoyama wasn't (it was some kind of gesture of his own) and instead grabbed his other hand to hurriedly take him out.}

- Tomono senshu is from Sakai city, and he is currently a student at Doshisha University. Last year he did the Grand Prix series for the first time. Placed 3rd at the Russian round, he made his first podium. He is the up and coming figure skater following Hanyu-senshu and Uno-senshu. Tomono-senshu actually shares photos of delicious ramen in his own instagram to prove himself to be a ramen-lover, another Men-Baka. Therefore...

<An interview video from last year when he came back to Japan from GP series>
Y: Men-Baka, the corner where I introduce ramen, please join me some time for the show.
T: Yes, my pleasure. Actually, I beg you, please let me join it. [laugh]

- He agreed at the interview last year to appear on this show. So, here it is, the 63rd episode of Men-Baka with figure skater Tomono Kazuki senshu, now starting!

Men-Baka!
Today's Theme: Ramen cooked by the finest chefs from different genres

Y: We're here in Nishi-Kiya-machi (in Kyoto). Are you excited?
T: Yes. I'm extremely excited about it.
Y: What kind of ramen are we going to have today!? The first one... This place here is called "Shokudo Ogawa", a prestige kappo-style (Japanese fine dining) restaurant and it is said to be the hardest restaurant in Kyoto to make a reservation. This place's score at Tabelog is over 4.3.
T: 4.3...?
Y: Never heard (of such a high score), have you?
T: No, never heard of one.

- This popular Japanese restaurant, Shokudo Ogawa, that even surprises Tomono-senshu, has a sister-shop nearby, a ramen-shop called "river RAMEN". {Note: Ogawa means a small river.} The owner of this ramen shop, Yokota-san, and Ogawa-san, the forementioned restaurant's owner, have known each other and developed their cooking expertise through friendly competition for long. And the ramen cooked by this Japanese culinary expert is this: Ramen Shiro. Now let's get Tomono senshu have it and see how he likes it.

Y: Ready, now...
Y+T: "Jisshoku!" (=actual eating time, a special made-up phrase for this show for 'itadakimasu')
T: [eats ramen] ... hmmm Oishii (delicious)...
Y: [laughs at his reaction]
T: It's so creamy. It's pleasing my body.
Y: Yes, indeed pleasing.
T: It's a pleasing ramen.
Y: Pleasing, right.

- This Japanese style soup has its double base broth of chicken bones and pork bones, and they add some white miso in it. It matches very well with their thin straight noodles.
- And for me, I had this one with Katsuobushi: Ramen Kohaku.
Clear chicken bone soup with Oi-Gatsuo (Katsuobushi stock with thin shavings of it on top) and special home-made Yuzu (citrus) paste.

Y: The umami of chicken and of Katsuo (bonito), sticks amazingly well with these fat curly noodles and... (To the owner) How about you merchandise this soup? It in itself is that amazing and it'll sell!
Owner: Oh really? [laugh] Thank you.
Y: Even just drinking this soup alone (is great)!
T: What is this?
Owner: That's potato, some fried potato flavored with curry.
T: Yeah, it's curry. When you have it, it gives another different taste, kind of spicy flavor (and it's good). Well, it's been 3 days since I came back to Japan, and I've been practicing. I've worked hard for this day, so excited thinking that I was to enjoy ramen. It really motivated me so much.
Y: Oh, so you were looking forward to this shooting?
T: Yeah, I was in top shape at practice yesterday. [laugh]
Y: You can feel the umami flow so nicely, it's such an elegant dish. This is, precisely, (to be likened to) the "Step Sequence" of Ramen!

(shop detail)

Men-Baka!

-The next one we visited is Jo-Terrace Osaka. There is a new Ramen Street opened last May with 6 ramen shops, including those making their first foray into Osaka. The one I picked out of them today is...

Y: The one I want you to try is... This! "Due Italian"!
T: "Due Italian"... so is it Italian?
Y: It's filled with many Italian elements, look at this, ever seen a ramen like this?
T: I haven't seen one!
Y: Right? It's a new concept and I want you to try it as you're competing internationally! Now, let's go! Let's go!
T: Yes, I'm coming, coming!

- Chosen by Michelin-Guide Tokyo for the third year straight, the Golden Shio (salt) Ramen, "Due Italian" appeared in Osaka for the first time. The owner, Ishizuka-san, is a noted Italian chef well-known by those in the know. So, what is the Italian-style ramen like!?

T: Ohhhh!
Y: How's that?
Ramen Nama-ham(prosciutto crudo, or dry-cured ham) Fromage
T: 'Baemasu ne'. (meaning, Looking sharp/glamorous. "Baeru" is a very recent slang verb from 'instagrammable' minus 'instagram'.)
Y: Yes, 'Baemasu', that's right.
T: 'Baemasu ne'.
Y: Ready, now,
Y+T: "Jisshoku!" *eats*
T: Mmmm! It's like pasta, kinda.
Y: Yeah, isn't it?
T: This is good, it's like... feels like I'm eating something different.
Y: Your eyes are sparkling!
T: [laugh]
Y: I know it is no good for me as an announcer (broadcaster) to say it, but it's really "Yabai".
T: [laugh] It is indeed "Yabai"!
Y: This is no Chashu, but 'Nama-ham' (dry-cured ham). The trick of this Nama-ham and cheese is just...
T: Having both cheese and Nama-ham can't not be good! (=It's set to be great.)
Y: Can't Not! [laugh] 'Yabai'!
T: 'Yabai'!
Y: I want my bosses to not watch this now. (As he can't stop repeating Yabai.)

-Finish it with brown rice, turning it into risotto afterward to enjoy it at last.

T: [strikes a pleasing pose]
Y: There you go! There you go! I see that you do it when you're ultimately pleased.

- Finally, I asked his enthusiasm for the Grand Prix Series starting in October.

Y: Soon, you're having the Grand Prix Series. Let me hear your enthusiasm for this season.
T: It's my second year to appear in the Grand Prix Series. Last year, I had some good, some bitter, and a lot of 'kuyashii' experience. So, when getting striken, I gotta strike back. I'm determined to make it happen. I'll 'gambaru', to come back to enjoy great ramen later.
Y: You have that as one of your motivations.
T: That's right. I wanna eat (ramen), I guess.
Y: Well, it's a dish filled with new challenges. This is, precisely, (to be likened to)...of Ramen...
T: "Quadruple Toe-Loop"!
Y: He's doing it from this season!

(shop detail)

---
After-talk at the studio

Y: You know, shooting this with him in fact reminded me that he is an athlete. The moment he tastes it and finds it good, his body starts moving back and forth, doing his "pleasing pose" five or six times even at the first shop, his body expresses everything.
Lady: His reaction was so cute!
Y: So cute, wasn't it? By the way, Isagawa-san, I hear you're a big fan of his.
Isagawa: I LOVE him! Isn't he cute!?
Y: He is!
I: Even in this (foolish) Men-Baka T-shirt, he is this much cute!
Y: That's right!
I: Like, even when he's wearing this T-shirt!? Amazing.
Y: It's quite embarrassing to wear this T-shirt in the street, but he wore it for us without hesitation at all! He's such a nice boy. Yet, once he's on the ice, his expressions on the face changes and shows us a mature side of him. (Introducing Skate America to the end)

---

uahh, Kazuki support messages in Japanese are probably the best way to keep me from my current mission =_= Was happy to see I could understand one of them, the easier one that said 'believe in yourself, you can do it', but what's 子や? Even jisho org doesn't know it. Some sort of slang?
Just a short explanation for now, や is a copula in Kansai dialect, used instead for だ/です. So, "~子や" = "~子だ".

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much for the birthday wishes and translation, Tsurara! :luv17:

The "men-baka" episode is so sweet and funny. I love the way they speak about Kazuki at the end, and the comparison between ramen and figure skating elements!

Tsurara

On the Ice
Okay, a sort of good news, AbemaTV is broadcasting Skate America with both SP and FS!
https://abema.tv/channels/world-sports/slots/AfLVte636KmuRZ
(The above link to Skate America SP, men and ladies singles, on Oct 20, 4 am to 6 am JST)
If you don't mind watching it later, not on live, not on demand either, even heavily-edited, but you can watch an official Japanese broadcasting one on internet IF you have a Japanese VPN, which also means, you can expect more people uploading them later anyways. (AbemaTV has recently been experimenting to allow foreign access, but quite limited and only some news shows for now, you can't watch all they have outside Japan without a Japanese VPN yet, unfortunately.)

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191005-10050608-nksports-spo
'I haven't challenged the game with myself recently. The game is difficult. I have to fundamentally review how the game is facing," the expression is dark. The first 4 rotations failed. The second jump was a failure. “Spin and step are better than last season. Jump is also going to grow, but I have to be able to play in the game. When I come to the venue, I can't believe myself. It ’s a mental problem.” Revealed the inside.

6th is free. “I want to do my best to be free so that I can get out of pain'
(Google Translate)
At least he knows what's wrong, that's the first step to get it fixed. I agree that his steps and spins are better than last season.
Major newspaper articles were all like this, only focusing on the negative stuff on Tomono-kun. And that is why...
uahh, Kazuki support messages in Japanese are probably the best way to keep me from my current mission
... a lot of Tomono fans started flooding support messages on social media :laugh:
My first thought at these news and fans' tweets was: If he can't believe himself, he can just believe us, his fans, instead! Such a simple solution! (Sometimes it helps to be simple and stupid :eek::)

Anyways, I'll post my translations to Doshisha Atom's articles after this post! (I won't be translating the above article.)

I was wrong &#55357;&#56852; Misha is already in LA, apparently on his way to Dallas... no meeting with Kazuki was planned

No worries! I'm sure they'll meet in the states before GP anyways! Even when they're not together, I see that Misha keeps trying to encourage him by many means. One of Misha's IG story messages the other day sounded to me like a message to encourage Tomono-kun, actually. I can't quite remember the exact words, but something like, not falling means you're not trying hard enough?

Also, Kazuki was wondering on Twitter why he was the only one who pointed down when he did the "Countdown to the GP series" :laugh:
https://twitter.com/naniwatomono/status/1183591295610183681?s=19

He was actually wondering why he did it in a funny and joking way (like a proper Kansai boy), knowing he'll be the only one doing so. He tweeted that right after Yuhana Yokoi's 'serious' countdown was uploaded. I guess he half expected (and half doubted) her to do another funny one after her NHK Trophy video message a while ago.
He tweeted:
> やっぱそうだよな。
> なんで俺だけカウントダウンこんな感じなんだ。笑
> Of course, I knew it.
> Why am I the only one doing the countdown like this. lol

But we love his countdown like that, don't we all? :peace:

Tsurara

On the Ice

SP

"Rather than feeling 'kuyashii', it is distressing," Tomono said, after the competition, with a gloomy expression on his face.
This season, he is taking on a challenge of a high tech content with 2 quads in SP. At the start, as he went into the entry to 4T to the music, he jumped high but popped into 2T. He needed to shift his focus to the second jump, but that also ended up popping into 2 again. He said, "It was no good that I dragged the first mistake to fail the second jump." He couldn't add any to make it a combo either, and ended up losing big points.
He managed to deliver his 3A with a positive GOE of 2+. In addition, he demonstrated his biggest weapon, his dance talent {Note: Japanese word on it was "Odori-gokoro", but I really don't know how to translate it into English, so I just said 'dance talent' instead, though it's not accurate.} with his steps to the full extent. However, he placed 4th at 64.32, about 10 points less than his previous score 73.33 at Summer Cup in August.
"Maybe now is the moment that I need to have the true growth." Since his successful result at the Worlds, a huge pressure has been weighing heavily on Tomono to show a good performance. "I need enough courage and/or confidence to go one step further," he told us in a calm and chagrined tone.
Tomorrow is the crucial game with Free. He can't just halt here. "(I need to) Believe in myself and shift my mindset for free." The whole audience awaits to see his comeback.

---

FS

Finishing 4th after SP where Tomono popped 2 quads into doubles the day before, he shifted his mindset for FS hoping to bounce back. As the whole audience quietly beheld him, he entered into his first jump, the critical moment to make or break. He kicked the ice swiftly and landed a successful 4T+2T. With a loud applause from the audience, it seemed he made a perfect start. Then, however, he unexpectedly fell with his 3A, the very jump he "had particularly focused on while training/practicing". He then made some visible small mistakes with later jumps too. "Axel jumps are very important in free. I'm disgusted at myself (feeling pathetic) than frustrated because it's the jump I practiced the most," he let his frustration creep into his voice.

"This is probably the phase where I'm trying to discover something new. I cannot go back to the past for the feeling I had before, like how I used to feel when I faced competitions by just rolling with the flow. It's critical whether I can grow or not while being who I am now." Tomono has his eyes fixed ahead, to achieve his true growth. His steps in the latter half of the performance was full of spirit, and showed us his strong will to defeat himself.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Thank you so much for your translation Tsurara...Packing and getting ready to leave for Sk Amer. I'm revving up my vocal cords to cheer loudly for Kazuki!

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Thanks Tsurara for the translations!!!!!:)

^^^Thank you so much for your translation Tsurara...Packing and getting ready to leave for Sk Amer. I'm revving up my vocal cords to cheer loudly for Kazuki!

Wow!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Cheer as loud as you can for Kazuki, he needs a confidence boost!!!!!:cheer:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much for the translations, Tsurara-san! :luv17:
Kazuki's tweet is even funnier now that you translated properly :laugh2:

I really liked the Doshisha articles, too! You're right, they're not as negative as the other media outlets. It's really nice to know his tone wasn't that grim!

Have a wonderful trip, Arriba! It's great to know you'll be there supporting our boy!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok did this just happen? Went to eat supper in the hotel. Sitting in the food court eating, and guess who was walking towards me?! Kazuki kun!!! :dance2: I couldn't believe my eyes. I figured I'd be kicking myself later if I didn't say anything so I said "Hi Kazuki!" when he got closer. He stopped and said "Hello!" I wished him good luck and he said thank you. I got so excited I almost dropped my hamburger! :laugh2: He's so tiny and so cute!

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Ok did this just happen? Went to eat supper in the hotel. Sitting in the food court eating, and guess who was walking towards me?! Kazuki kun!!! :dance2: I couldn't believe my eyes. I figured I'd be kicking myself later if I didn't say anything so I said "Hi Kazuki!" when he got closer. He stopped and said "Hello!" I wished him good luck and he said thank you. I got so excited I almost dropped my hamburger! :laugh2: He's so tiny and so cute!

aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! OMG you're staying in the same hotel!!!!! If I were you now I'd be walking around like this :hap93:
I'm looking forward for a detailed reporting of your stay at the hotel :eek::

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
OMG lucky lucky you! :eeking: I hope your wish brings him luck! ^ ^

KiraraChin

Medalist

OMG ARRIBA!!! That's so cool! I think I would have fainted if it were me :drama:

I'm with Giu, looking forward to more details and hoping you get to see him again!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Forgot to say I shook his hand when I wished him good luck. He's so cute and that cute little voice of his. This hotel is MASSIVE, so the chance of running into skaters is not too great. Seriously, it has a bowling alley, an 18 theatre movie theatre, huge casino, food court, restaurants. And the arena is at the hotel. It's like a small village. You could stay here a week and never leave the hotel. That may be my one and only sighting, so I'm going to cherish it.