Kazuki Tomono | Page 87 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Ahh, fond memories... Kazuki's been a bit silent recently, no? I am guessing he's hard at work in Osaka, putting his programs together as fast as he can! Looks like it could be a while before Misha meets him in person.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
More good news!
Kazuki will appear on the July edition of Japanese fashion magazine 25ans. They released a 'taster' of the interview:
https://www.25ans.jp/lifestyle/skate/g32657027/tomonokazuki-200525/
It's in Japanese but it works with Google Translate. :drama:

Yes, Google Translate does a very good job. Here's my translation attempt.

https://www.25ans.jp/lifestyle/skate/g32657027/tomonokazuki-200525/?slide=3
“In my opinion, and I have the same view on my everyday clothes, in choosing a costume, it is most important that it suits me and looks good on me. No matter how gorgeous and great the costume is, if I don’t look good in it, the design won’t work well. I like the costumes that make my body lines look beautiful. I prefer the simple design that enhances my presence.”

https://www.25ans.jp/lifestyle/skate/g32657027/tomonokazuki-200525/?slide=4
- Then, besides “Moulin Rouge,” which of the costumes you have worn in the past is your most favorite?
"I love "An American in Paris "and "West Side Story" costumes because they are very simple and they suit me, and I like the one for "New Cinema Paradise" because it's in the genre that I had never worn before. I basically like all my costumes, so I can't choose which one I like the most (laughs).”

https://www.25ans.jp/lifestyle/skate/g32657027/tomonokazuki-200525/?slide=6
- Is there any other skater’s costume that you thought "I want to wear that costume to skate?" In response to this question, the names of Sota Yamamoto senshu and Satoko Miyahara senshu came up.
“I don't know if it will look good on me, but I thought that the costume of Sota Yamamoto's “Jekyll & Hyde” was really cool. It may be because he was the one wearing it and it looked so good on him. Yamamoto senshu has such a good figure that the costume was even more flattering. I personally like Yamamoto's costumes all the time! Among the costumes this season, Tomoko Miyahara's costume in the short is really cool and it’s my favorite. ''

Tomono senshu says "Yamamoto senshu is my longtime friend and the skater I want to follow." Yamamoto is his "number one best rival," and is the one that makes him think that he should work harder when they practice together! It so happens that Miyahara's short program costume is a black bodysuit pants style that 25ans also featured in an interview with her.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much, rRainbow! :thank:
He doesn't miss the opportunity to gush over Sota, does he? :biggrin:
Having said that, he's right, Sota's 'Jekyll and Hyde' costume was beautiful!

Kazuki posted a couple of stories yesterday, sorry I didn't save them, but both were about a YouTube channel he really likes, Tokai on Air.
He first posted a Tokai on Air phone case, then he posted that he was watching Keiji's interview (more like a Yu-gi-oh game) with them.
Kazuki then wrote on Twitter that he has now known what true jealousy feels like... Poor thing :laugh:
I hope Tokai on Air invites him, eventually!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Also, Atom Doshisha published Part 1 of a two-part interview with Kazuki on plans for next season: https://twitter.com/atom_doshisha/status/1264867524031594496 (note they use a Kazuki pic as avatar :biggrin:)
This one doesn't work with Google Translate, sadly, but I saw on Twitter fans reporting that he wants to do something fun for the SP (yay!) and also have 2 quads in the SP and 3 quads in the FS :drama:

Translation:

For Tomono, last season was the season of real growth. "I feel I improved my mental strength the most," he said. During the last season when he tried to incorporate multiple difficult quad jumps, there were moments when a little hesitation or anxiety kept him from performing flawlessly. “I was frustrated that while I was able to skate my best in practice, I couldn’t showcase my strength in competition," he reflected. At the Japanese National Championships, which he regarded as the most important competition of the season, he continued to make mistakes in the SP and placed 11th which was far lower than expected. However, despite the disappointment, a glimmer of hope never left Tomono. In the FS, where he was desperate and in a high-pressure situation, he succeeded in all the difficult jumps and finished in tears with clenched fists. The moving moment still remains in the hearts of many people. Tomono named this FS as the performance he felt satisfied with in the last season, and said, "It was the competition where I overcame all the difficulties I had until that time." It was the performance that showed us that he had cleared the hurdle in front of him not only in terms of technique but also in mentality.

Furthermore, it was the SP at the Four Continents Championships that he reflected, "I was most satisfied and most disappointed as well." He kept together the jumps which had been inconsistent during the first half of the season, and scored 88.22 points to top his personal best. However, at Kiss and Cry, he looks disappointed. "I wanted to get more than 90 points." He was frustrated because he was able to skate his best. “When I compared myself with Hanyu senshu 【Hanyu Yuzuru (ANA)】, the jumps I was doing were the same, and I was disappointed to see the big scoring gap. ”In order to compete at the top level in the world, not only high scores in the base value of the elements but also in GOE and PCS are required. The higher the level one aims for, the more challenges one will face. Tomino analyzed his problems and decided to work on his skating skills and spins. "There are still rough edges, so I need to improve the overall level of perfection,” he eagerly added.

While the future was uncertain due to the coronavirus, he completed the choreography of FS with Mischa Ge by online lessons. The music is "Life is Beautiful." “I hope this program will convey various emotions,” he said. The SP is yet to be decided, but "As to the direction, I want to make a fun program." We are looking forward to the program full of Tomono's character. As for the jump elements, SP is the same as the last season with two 4 quads and FS with three quads. He also said that he must practice more to master the 4loop which he is learning now. The goal for the new season still remains the podium at the Japanese Nationals, and be selected to go to the World Championships. He has grown stronger each time he faced obstacles, and made progress one step at a time. On a long road which seems endless, he is moving forward believing that beyond hardships glory awaits.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 2 of Doshisha Atom tweet on Kazuki (May 27, 2020)
https://twitter.com/atom_doshisha/status/1265599281173389312
Traslation:

Turning the time he cannot skate into the preparation time for a new challenge.

The man who kept looking straight ahead last season does not lose his perseverance during the self-isolation period.

Due to the impact of the new coronavirus which continues to spread worldwide, people have been forced to carry out a different life. Athletes are no exception. The training rinks were closed and it is no longer possible to practice enough. The skaters are pursuing the sport in various ways.

Since the training of figure skating on land is limited, workout and core muscle training have become the main focus. He is making efforts such as discussing online with other skaters so that he does not get bored. In order to maintain the elements necessary for his performance, he has been steadily doing the limited training routine.
Aside from training, he makes sure that he keeps regular hours and controls his weight. He tries to live an ordered life so that he will not have any problems when he resume practicing on ice.

Building strength at home
"I try to think it's a good time." Since he cannot skate on the rink, he has been spending more time than usual to enhance his expressiveness. He continues to hone his skills to charm his audience which is Tomono’s forte. He does not neglect jump training. Unlike on ice, a jump on land is not very fast. Therefore, it is necessary to train to make the body axis tight, which has helped him improve the accuracy of the jump. Even in unusual situations, he spent his time positively.
Skating has been a part of his life since childhood. "I don’t feel lonesome when I think I can skate someday." While he cannot practice enough, he is not pessimistic and we can see he is mentally strong. Regardless of the situation, he keeps on improving and prepares for competition. The techniques he acquired during this period will lead to huge leaps this season.

How to spend time at home.
Between training, he enjoys his time at home.
He says that he usually stays at home to take a rest when he is off. "I didn't expect that the time I spend at home isn't bad at all." His activities such as reading, watching videos, talking with his friends online, shows a side of him as a typical college student. Recently, he practiced handwriting by the penmanship textbook.

KiraraChin

Medalist
OMG THANK YOU, rRainbow! :luv17:
Such a nice interview, I'm so happy he's going for a fun SP because I think that's what suits him best.
Also, I hope he doesn't feel too discouraged by his ridiculously low 4CC SP score, that was a crime.

Right, I have good news and bad news about Naniwa Sports Centre, Kazuki's rink.
The good news: It re-opens today (I think), following a period of a few months closed due to coronavirus.
The bad news: It will close again on 1st July through the whole season, for maintenance.

I wonder where Kazuki will train, maybe Rinspo, Nishinomiya or his university's rink?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
You're welcome, KiraraChin.

Kazuki is articulate and his interviews are always fun to read and translate.

About his training rink, he may be able to use Kinoshita Academy rinks. Kinoshita now has two rinks. The one in Kyoto opened in December last year, and another one is in Osaka.

Fans have reported Kazuki sighting in this video on Rika Kihira's tweet dated May 29.
https://twitter.com/rika_kihira?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

surimi

Record Breaker
I'm thinking he will use the Kinoshita rink in Osaka. Or maybe Rinkai?
He's really one of a kind, basically coaching himself. o_o
And it's hard for me to think of Kazuki keeping an eye on his weight, him being so tiny already! But we know he loves food so I don't worry about him too much.

KiraraChin

Medalist
About his training rink, he may be able to use Kinoshita Academy rinks. Kinoshita now has two rinks. The one in Kyoto opened in December last year, and another one is in Osaka.

Fans have reported Kazuki sighting in this video on Rika Kihira's tweet dated May 29.
https://twitter.com/rika_kihira?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
Ohhhh interesting! I hadn't noticed it was Kazuki! Glad to know he has options.

It seems that, for now, he's back in Naniwa! He posted this IG story: https://twitter.com/KiraraChin/status/1267574974757441540
Then he posted some pics about 'social distancing' at the rink: https://twitter.com/naniwatomono/status/1267689838913830912

I'm glad they're being careful, hope Kazuki has a productive time training there this month, before they close again for maintenance.

surimi

Record Breaker
Yikes, I had to double check because he looks a lot like Shoma here!
Good to see he isn't a red-head like he wished to ;) , but I hope he stops perming his hair too. He has such nice glossy straight hair...

KiraraChin

Medalist
Yikes, I had to double check because he looks a lot like Shoma here!
Good to see he isn't a red-head like he wished to ;) , but I hope he stops perming his hair too. He has such nice glossy straight hair...
I know, right? :drama: I hope that now that he's back to training, his hair will slowly go back to normal...

Right, Kazuki and Keiji's Zoom talk is now available for purchase! https://twitter.com/JPlanningIntl/status/1269598323003908098
This fan can share the translation for those who bought it: https://twitter.com/hanageshinken2/status/1269600841650057217

KiraraChin

Medalist

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
フィギュアスケートLife Vol.21 (5/29/20) International shipping is available from these sellers.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4594615392
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/neowing-r/neobk-2493902/
Excerpts from Kazuki inteview:
Translation:

--The season ended unexpectedly. (Interview was in March)
I was really looking forward to Coupe du Printemps. I was on the Japanese team with Mitsuki (Sumoto) and Sota (Yamamoto) and I was motivated to compete together with them. I kind of understood that it could not have been helped under the circumstances but I lost my tension thinking “It’s over....." I was sort of okay because at the 4CC I had been able to do what I could do to some extent, but I felt a little sorry for the other guys.

--When did you hear the news?
It was very late. About two weeks before (the competition). At that time, the Namba rink was already closed, and I was afraid I would have to go to the competition without practice. However, since Chukyo became the only one open for practice for the time being, I switched into fight mode and I was heading to Chukyo, Then an email came when I was on the train and it said that they decided to withdraw from the event. By the time I arrived at Chukyo, I was in a state of daze. Sota was there too and we said to each other, “What should we do?” (laughs). We said that we’ve just got into the off-season, and our minds went blank.

--How was the practice on that day?
Everything I had maintained was disrupted, but I did all the jumps anyway. Until the day before, I had been doing the run-throughs many times, and I didn’t know what to practice.

--How about now?
Now I do the regular off-season training.

--Your free (at Japanese Nationals) was so amazing. I saw you cry for the first time in a long time (laughs).
Hehe (laughs). I knew I did a great job and I felt like crying. I had a feeling I was gonna cry.

--It was the same in Milan. Do you cry when you feel relieved?
Well, that’s probably true. I get really emotional when I feel relieved. When I am freed I am overjoyed...

--You release the feelings you’ve suppressed?
I tend to hold my emotions in check a little too much.

--You have that kind of personality? Holding back too much of your emotions?
I guess so. I think usually I am an open book, but I also have a tendency to bottle up my emotions (laughs). I’ll tell you an interesting story; one time I was in psychology class and filled out a simple long questionnaire. Until that time I had thought I was pretty good at resetting myself, but the result said, "You get burned out when you finally notice it, " and it was an unsettling thought that I was the type of person having pent-up feelings, and I didn't expect that (laugh).

--We get the impression that you are the type to lighten up the atmosphere.
That's true. But maybe I try too hard sometimes.
--Do you make a conscious effort to brighten up the mood?
No, I don’t. I can be myself when I interact with other people. But I may have a tendency to hide my weakness and act tough. Perhaps that’s why I may pile up my feelings somehow. But I’m not worried about it that much.

--What do you do when you are in bad form or feel down?
What I do is lower the difficulty level of practice and build confidence. It's very important to give it a rest, so when I really feel like I’m not myself, I lower the level and do what I can. If I concentrate on it, I will want to try again. I would rather set a goal for each practice and achieve it, but as I am a human, there are times I am totally off. On such bad days if I practice like crazy I’ll mess up or may injure myself. Having said that, when I’m in bad shape, sometimes I still get irritated as before and I lose control. So I try to hold it down and tell myself that It’s no use going all out at the moment.

--You're mature now?
Hehe, Now I am capable of practicing like an adult--maybe (laugh).

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you Rainbow! Very interesting insights by Kazuki. He's very articulate. Yes, several of us here went into a blank state of mind about 14 days before the CdP when we heard the news, right? I feel for Kazuki. I hope next season goes well for him. As well as possible...

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much, rRainbow! :luv17:
CdP cancellation was such a blow to everyone... Poor Kazuki, found out when he was on the train, going to practice :sad4:

Interesting what he said about bottling up feelings, it's not something you'd associate with Kazuki. But he does tend to fight his tears when he's sad... I guess lots of boys are like that.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
You guy are welcome. Sorry I forgot to add "to be continued" at the end. I'm working on the last part of the translation. I'll post another translation of the interview after I'm finished.