Yuzuru is going to put 5 quads | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru is going to put 5 quads

matcha

Medalist
OMG that website is amazing. (I had no idea that once upon a time Ashley W had a 3Lz+3Lo).

It's be nice if you could separate between junior and senior careers of skaters, so you could see a clearer picture of their current state. re: the comment above about Jin.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
It all depends on how the jump really is in practices, which is something we have no knowledge of.

Now. Technically speaking, we have some about last season; it was at around 60% in practices at the time of the Europeans. Presumably if he is training it full time now, it's getting better. It's definitely a risk but yes, considering the overall field, it may simply end up being more risky not to upgrade.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Well in Jin's case most of those -GOE ones were on the Junior Circuit (when judges are less inclined to give more GOE, especially with Jin having been a relative unknown, from China at that). If you look at the actual jumps the actual lutzes were pretty much fine. Only in one instance as a senior did he get negative GOE on his lutz, -0.40 at the 2015 GPF.

Just a correction: Since '15 Jin had 7 4Lz with -GOE and 13 with +GOE.

'15 GPF -2.40
'16 SA -4.00
'16 CoC -0.37
'16 World -2.06
'16 World -1.54
'16 TCC -2.40
'17 4CC -3.54

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was thinking about the top skaters going into this season. Is Yuzuru the most decorated skater going into this year, or is it Patrick Chan?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was thinking about the top skaters going into this season. Is Yuzuru the most decorated skater going into this year, or is it Patrick Chan?

Patrick has 3 golds from worlds and 2 silvers.
He has 2 silvers from Olympics (one team, one single)

Yuzuru has 2 golds from worlds 2 silvers and 1 bronze
Yuzuru has 1 gold from Olympics

mrrice

Record Breaker
Patrick has 3 golds from worlds and 2 silvers.
He has 2 silvers from Olympics (one team, one single)

Yuzuru has 2 golds from worlds 2 silvers and 1 bronze
Yuzuru has 1 gold from Olympics

They're both very decorated skaters who must be very proud of their accomplishments. That said, I still want Patrick to win the OGM. IMO, It would be the final jewel in his crown.

Imagine

Medalist
I could care less about men's skating as a whole, but his SEIMEI at Worlds was literally the greatest thing I have ever witnessed. It's not even real life...like I swear it's all just a huge conspiracy using CGI to convince us that such a performance is possible. I hope he delivers another legendary moment at the Olympics.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I had no idea that once upon a time Ashley W had a 3Lz+3Lo

She only ever did it cleanly in her 2008 Nationals programs, but for that one competition, she was on fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRv4bAWMxhI

Unfortunately the rules back then were extremely harsh/stupid, so she was getting -3 GOE and only credit for a 2Lo in international competitions where she would slightly underrotate the 3Lo. Her LP from 2008 Four Continents was excellent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us6YwQQ0LD0, she was also doing 3F+2Lo+2Lo combo with ease back then. It's so sad to see her Flip jump in recent years, it's become much less powerful.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just a correction: Since '15 Jin had 7 4Lz with -GOE and 13 with +GOE.

'15 GPF -2.40
'16 SA -4.00
'16 CoC -0.37
'16 World -2.06
'16 World -1.54
'16 TCC -2.40
'17 4CC -3.54

Hah, I meant 3Z or 3Z combos. :)

LiKitsu, if not the lutz, what would you say are Yuzuru's weaker jump types then? He's resolved his flip edge and has good consistency on it. And he's said he prefers edge jumps and does quads. Obviously his axel is his strongest.

chillgil

Match Penalty
Hah, I meant 3Z or 3Z combos. :)

LiKitsu, if not the lutz, what would you say are Yuzuru's weaker jump types then? He's resolved his flip edge and has good consistency on it. And he's said he prefers edge jumps and does quads. Obviously his axel is his strongest.

i'll take this one
the 2A . . . i mean he's never even landed it as a senior :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you guys think Max Arron is capable of a 5 quad program? He's a compact skater who is basically solid muscle. I know people talk about his need for more artistry but, the way things have been going lately, he might be able to jump his way onto the US team.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Do you guys think Max Arron is capable of a 5 quad program? He's a compact skater who is basically solid muscle. I know people talk about his need for more artistry but, the way things have been going lately, he might be able to jump his way onto the US team.

I think Max is quite the athlete so he would be able to do a 5 quad program -- I'm just not sure what the non-salchow/toe quad would be (a lutz maybe?). Max's weakness has consistently been his artistic side and PCS... I don't expect him to wait for the judges to be increasing that score considerably so he will have to add more technical difficulty.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

I don't follow Max in the off-season but he has to have at least three quads for that, and I've only seen the 4S and the 4T from him. So he'd not only be increasing the number of quads, and that from 3 to 5 which is quite a jump, but he'd be handling a brand new quad too. Considering he's had problems with the 3, I am not sure it's doable. If he could, and executed it actually, then yes, he could jump his way to the Oly team.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think it's says a lot about Max's strength and technique that he's been successful with more than one type of quad. Physique-wise, yes, being short helps, but his build is very, very different from the most successful quad guys. Willowy bodies where all the muscle is hidden seem to have the most natural jumping ability.

I would be shocked to see a third type of quad from him this season, but if he continues past the Olympics (I'm kind of assuming he is?), I would be shocked not to see a third type in future years.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max said in his Golden Skate interview that he's been practicing a quad Lutz. That could be a 5th quad.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Max said in his Golden Skate interview that he's been practicing a quad Lutz. That could be a 5th quad.

That's good to hear, is there any news on how that's going for him? I think trying for a 4 quad program first, if he is indeed introducing the Lz would probably be a better idea. Then expanding if he can. But his 4S & 4T would have to be better than last season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's good to hear, is there any news on how that's going for him? I think trying for a 4 quad program first, if he is indeed introducing the Lz would probably be a better idea. Then expanding if he can. But his 4S & 4T would have to be better than last season.

Have you actually watched the videos from Philly? While he ker-splatted the 4T in the short, both 4Ts in the long were lovely. He is trying a 4-quad long first (two 4S, two 4T) and may add the 4Lz later. I don't think he intended to only do a three quad long at Philly - his body language on the 3S said that was an unintentional pop, not an intended one.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How many Men have actually landed 5 quads in a free program? I ask because I think even without a quad Lutz, Max has 4 with a solo and combo of his 4T and 4S. The other thing about Max is that rarely gets dinged with a negative GOE on his jumps.