Eurosport Updates | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

Rissa

Record Breaker
I missed that. So, basically, no streams without commentary?
Wow.
:(
:disagree:
I so don’t like commentary. Any commentary. I can decide for myself if I enjoy something. The only exception is Ted Barton.

Maybe the streams not on E1 or E2 will be without commentary? They're live and full length, unlike the E1 and E2 ones, so they're bound to be different.

I found the schedules for E3, E4 and E5 here:

http://www.cyfrowypolsat.pl/redir/program-tv/program-tv-pionowy-single-channel.cp?chN=eurosport-3

If you change the number in the address, you'll get the other channels. According to Google translate, all events up to Feb 14th will be shown live.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I missed that. So, basically, no streams without commentary?
Wow.
:(
:disagree:
I so don’t like commentary. Any commentary. I can decide for myself if I enjoy something. The only exception is Ted Barton.

Maybe the streams not on E1 or E2 will be without commentary? They're live and full length, unlike the E1 and E2 ones, so they're bound to be different.

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!!

EUROSPORT PLAYER HAS BROUGHT BACK THE OPTION TO CHOOSE YOUR OWN AUDIO SOUNDTRACK!!!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

...but only for the World Feed coverage (livestreams and On Demand videos). :disapp:

The button to select a soundtrack is at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, just to the left of the “full screen” button

The soundtracks available are:

1. English
  2. Danish
  3. Norwegian
  4. Swedish
  5. German
  6. Dutch
  7. Polish
  8. Italian
  9. Finnish
  10. Natural Sound

Please be aware that when you select a different soundtrack, the page reloads. So, if you are watching an On Demand video, you need to take a note of the time before you change the soundtrack. If you are watching LIVE, tough – you miss a few seconds.

Wish they would bring back Eurosport International with the multiple soundtracks...

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I was so happy when I noticed the soundtrack option, but I actually ended up watching both team events live on E1, with Dutch commentary. It wasn’t as annoying as I remembered... but it was also dead of night, so I may not have been awake enough to really care.
With the individual events, I will probably stick with the stream + Natural Sound. Hurah!

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I'm so frustrated as it seems that E3-5 is only available if you have one of the bigger eurosport packages.

Ah well eurosport player it is.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Complaints time: the streams are really bad. The Men's team SP is out of sync (sound way ahead of the video, and not just a second or so, more like 3-5), and I hear that the Ladies SP stream has the same issue... which I cannot check, because I cannot find it anywhere in the archive. It's listed, sure, but it links to the ice dance SD.
:devil:
edit: that's strange, on the laptop the ladies sp links to... ladies sp. On my AppleTV, (also Eurosport player app) it links to the ice dance. Oh well, laptop it is, then.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
How have the streams worked for the pairs competition? I was going to get the player for the Olympics but I'll be divorced if I watch any more winter sports than I do already on the terrestrial channels. Was disappointed for the team competition that Eurosport repeated the pairs four times but didn't show the men's free even once...

Miller

Final Flight
How have the streams worked for the pairs competition? I was going to get the player for the Olympics but I'll be divorced if I watch any more winter sports than I do already on the terrestrial channels. Was disappointed for the team competition that Eurosport repeated the pairs four times but didn't show the men's free even once...

Worked fine, for first time today had to piece it together from the Player livestreams, and then the E1 recording (am also recording BBC Red Button on Sky channel 980, but you may not get that in Ireland), and yes worked fine. Prefer Chris/Simon's commentary, but they were fine and she's pretty knowledgeable. Also as per Caroliza_Fan's post above you can always watch the streams commentary free. May also become more important from now on to have the Player, we've been OK with lots of the skiing cancelled, but now it's starting to stack up which is likely to impact more on the skating, plus unfortunately skiing is always going to get more priority, so getting the Player could be an even wiser move in that regard.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Worked fine, for first time today had to piece it together from the Player livestreams, and then the E1 recording (am also recording BBC Red Button on Sky channel 980, but you may not get that in Ireland), and yes worked fine. Prefer Chris/Simon's commentary, but they were fine and she's pretty knowledgeable. Also as per Caroliza_Fan's post above you can always watch the streams commentary free. May also become more important from now on to have the Player, we've been OK with lots of the skiing cancelled, but now it's starting to stack up which is likely to impact more on the skating, plus unfortunately skiing is always going to get more priority, so getting the Player could be an even wiser move in that regard.

During the Pairs SP coverage, Simon said that the plan for tomorrow/tonight was to show the Alpine Skiing LIVE, and then have recorded coverage of the Pairs FS at 08:00 GMT. HOWEVER, he added that if the skiing ended up getting cancelled again, then there would be LIVE coverage of the skating.

So, your suspicions are correct: the skiing will be taking priority.

However, Simon didn't say which channel the delayed coverage would be on.

Eurosport 1 has LIVE Cross Country from 06:15 – 08:00 GMT, followed immediately by LIVE Biathlon from 08:00 – 10:00 GMT.

Eurosport 2 has Snowboard Cross from 07:30 – 09:00 GMT, followed by Skeleton from 09:00 – 10:30 GMT.

So, my guess would be Eurosport 2. But, they might shift the Biathlon over there instead. I just don't know.

I'm going to do what I planned to do today - watch the ski sports early in the morning; and then piece together the World Feed coverage and Eurosport coverage of the skating later on.

Hopefully we will get decent coverage whatever happens.

CaroLiza_fan

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I got the player yesterday. There were some weird sync issues with the English commentary for the pairs SP so I had to switch to Swedish (I don't like watching without commentary, unless the commentators talk way too much).

I wonder who does the English commentary. It was some lady I have never heard before (not that I follow BESP all that much).

I am kind of sad they don't have the Bulgarian commentary as an option, because our Eurosport guy is my favourite commentator, but I imagine the demand is not very high for Bulgarian.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I got the player yesterday. There were some weird sync issues with the English commentary for the pairs SP so I had to switch to Swedish (I don't like watching without commentary, unless the commentators talk way too much).

I wonder who does the English commentary. It was some lady I have never heard before (not that I follow BESP all that much).

I am kind of sad they don't have the Bulgarian commentary as an option, because our Eurosport guy is my favourite commentator, but I imagine the demand is not very high for Bulgarian.

Sounds like it was the World Feed from the Olympic Broadcasting Service you were watching.

The woman is former multiple Australian Ladies and Pairs champion Belinda Coulthard, now using her married name of Belinda Noonan. As a former skater, she knows what she is talking about. But she talks FAR too much.

Belinda is joined by Canadian sports commentator Jim Van Horne. We've heard him before, and he isn't an expert in figure skating.

So far, Eurosport seem to be sticking to their intended schedules - LIVE Biathlon on ESP1, and a repeat of the snowboard cross on ESP2.

British Eurosport 2 is due to have an hour of highlights of the Pairs FS at 18:00 GMT. But, I really hope we don't have to wait until then to hear Simon and Chris' commentary!

CaroLiza_fan

Lester

Final Flight
Sounds like it was the World Feed from the Olympic Broadcasting Service you were watching.

The woman is former multiple Australian Ladies and Pairs champion Belinda Coulthard, now using her married name of Belinda Noonan. As a former skater, she knows what she is talking about. But she talks FAR too much.

Belinda is joined by Canadian sports commentator Jim Van Horne. We've heard him before, and he isn't an expert in figure skating.

Well this explains the accents, thanks :DD
Yeah that guy is very obviously not an expert because all he does is quote statistics in a voice of total amazement :D But in the end I found it irritating how they both hesitate when they are going to say something they are clearly unsure of. The lady said the current WR in pairs was held by the 2014 champions.... eeer... Tarasova and... uuum... Trankov. And they sometimes do a poor job of explaining stuff, so I'll stick with Swedish.

Trewyn

Medalist
I’m really happy with the app! So far it’s been working really well. I haven’t tried selecting different audio but will try that tonight!
Because of the timing of the events (2-5 am) and the way my life is currently overloaded with stress I cannot watch live. But with the app, I just watch during breakfast - before the spoilers have got to me.
The only thing; the team event ladies LP on demand video starts in the middle of Mirai’s skate - so I missed the 3A. Anyone else have this problem?

Miller

Final Flight
During the Pairs SP coverage, Simon said that the plan for tomorrow/tonight was to show the Alpine Skiing LIVE, and then have recorded coverage of the Pairs FS at 08:00 GMT. HOWEVER, he added that if the skiing ended up getting cancelled again, then there would be LIVE coverage of the skating.

So, your suspicions are correct: the skiing will be taking priority.

However, Simon didn't say which channel the delayed coverage would be on.

Eurosport 1 has LIVE Cross Country from 06:15 – 08:00 GMT, followed immediately by LIVE Biathlon from 08:00 – 10:00 GMT.

Eurosport 2 has Snowboard Cross from 07:30 – 09:00 GMT, followed by Skeleton from 09:00 – 10:30 GMT.

So, my guess would be Eurosport 2. But, they might shift the Biathlon over there instead. I just don't know.

I'm going to do what I planned to do today - watch the ski sports early in the morning; and then piece together the World Feed coverage and Eurosport coverage of the skating later on.

Hopefully we will get decent coverage whatever happens.

CaroLiza_fan

Looks like there'll be similar problems tonight and tomorrow night, 2 skiing events tonight, good weather forecast, plus tomorrow night, and all along they've said they're not showing Men's Free live on E1 or E2 only highlights later in the day.

One option that worked well for me last night if you've got it is to record the BBC red button on Sky Channel 980, plus the Beeb seems to be showing skating better in many ways than Eurosport e.g. they're showing highlights mid afternoon (3 p.m. today on BBC2), and also often on BBC4 at 8 p.m. after the BBC2 highlights programme. Also the other day during the Pairs SP they switched to BBC1 when the skiing was cancelled (luckily I'd also recorded E1). Hence over next couple of day it could be better to record BBC1 and the Red Button rather than E1, looks like the BBC will show live skating on BBC1 if the skiing is cancelled and on the Red Button if not. Finally there's always the Player as backup if your recordings get in a tangle.

Miller

Final Flight
I’m really happy with the app! So far it’s been working really well. I haven’t tried selecting different audio but will try that tonight!
Because of the timing of the events (2-5 am) and the way my life is currently overloaded with stress I cannot watch live. But with the app, I just watch during breakfast - before the spoilers have got to me.
The only thing; the team event ladies LP on demand video starts in the middle of Mirai’s skate - so I missed the 3A. Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you've fallen foul of Figure Skating not coming under skating on the Player! What happens is that it goes under the sport it was originally categorised as if the original sport was cancelled, but you do have to know what it was scheduled as in the first place, in this case Alpine Skiing Women's Giant Slalom 1st Leg - I had a quick look and it's on the player for 12th Feb, and Mirai starts at 1hr 43 mins into the 2.5 hour recording (got it first guess!). You'd think they'd re-categorise them, but I guess that's too difficult for some reason or other - insert your own reason here... At least though they've not been changing the names on the TV schedule in the middle of the night (might be something to do with it), that'd be a nightmare as your original scheduled recordings wouldn't work (a perennial problem with Eurosport if you set things to record well in advance, they're always changing things up to at least the day before).

Lester

Final Flight
I think I finally figured out how it works. There is a stream of the event which was broadcast on TV (which they have in Bulgarian), which is abridged, and then there is an "on demand" video which shows the whole event.
The TV version of the pairs free had another sport for the first 20 minutes or more.
So confusing :D

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Okay can maybe anyone here who has Virgin check if they still have Eurosport? It just disappeared on me. Out of nowhere?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, thanks a bunch Eurosport / Sky! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Got up early this morning intending to watch the Women's Super G, only to find that the recording wasn't on the Sky box.

So, went onto the Eurosport Player to investigate if it had been cancelled because of the weather. And, no, the World Feed was there.

Turns out that the Super G was delayed, but did eventually get under way at 3am. So, Eurosport decided to show LIVE coverage of Group 2 of the Men's FS instead on ESP1 to fill in the time. And when the Super G did get under way, it was shown LIVE over on ESP2.

Sounds good, eh?

I wouldn't mind, except that this moving things about and changing the schedules meant that Sky didn't tape ANYTHING!!! :gaah:

So, now I have to get both of them from the Player! :mad:

Grrrrrr!!!!! I don't like having to rely on the internet for watching things.

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
Well, thanks a bunch Eurosport / Sky! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Got up early this morning intending to watch the Women's Super G, only to find that the recording wasn't on the Sky box.

So, went onto the Eurosport Player to investigate if it had been cancelled because of the weather. And, no, the World Feed was there.

Turns out that the Super G was delayed, but did eventually get under way at 3am. So, Eurosport decided to show LIVE coverage of Group 2 of the Men's FS instead on ESP1 to fill in the time. And when the Super G did get under way, it was shown LIVE over on ESP2.

Sounds good, eh?

I wouldn't mind, except that this moving things about and changing the schedules meant that Sky didn't tape ANYTHING!!! :gaah:

So, now I have to get both of them from the Player! :mad:

Grrrrrr!!!!! I don't like having to rely on the internet for watching things.

CaroLiza_fan

Did you see my post just above? Spoke too soon. Going forward could be a problem but at least there's only 2 scheduled ski races on same day as skating - Women's Downhill on Wednesday - no Ladies short live! and Women's Combined on Friday. However not a lot you can do unless you wait up till midnight or something and see if the skiing's been cancelled or delayed or something.

BTW did you notice there's a second programme on the Player, after the skiing they showed all of last 2 groups on E2, not 'as live' but with commercials, but at least everyone was on it.

Edit. Thinking about it we could do with the Women's Downhill being cancelled, that way if you record everything on E1 you might just get the Ladies Short by chance, worked earlier on in the Olympics (they didn't change the programme names then...).