Joseph Phan | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Joseph Phan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Joseph is the 4th Canadian man to do a 4Lz if I'm not mistaken. He joins Stephen, Conrad, and Keegan. Way to go kid. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We need an update on his OP. Paging SnowWhite.

I think Nic Nadeau may have done one in training as well.. but i am not sure ;)

Haleth

On the Ice
Rumour from latest TSL video: Joseph is going to the TCC for a tryout. Take with big grain of salt, though this may come from Doug Haw.

Link (skip to 49:00 for mention of junior men, if you are unfamiliar with TSL, please note they are mostly about gossip and skating reactions and that they can be very snarky, so proceed with caution apart from the juniors): https://youtu.be/zgO_N4D3qRw

If he is trying out, I'm wondering if he's there for Lee or someone else, and if so, does that one of the current junior men at the club may be moving on? Conrad already seems to be accepted (likely with Lee), so...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Joseph has spent some time in Toronto this summer already... perhaps he liked the vibe there I don't know... but one sure thing : Joseph is only 16 years old and has been (I am pretty sure of that) to a French speaking high school within the Quebec system. In other words, he would be in his last year of school if he is indeed following the regular path. People in Quebec graduate at 17... so unless his situation is exceptional, I cannot see WHY and HOW he would not finish high school and get to Ontario where he wouldn't be able to smoothly transition at this point, unless school is put on a part-time mode or completely on the back burner which would be surprising before he is done his high school.

So... a try out : perhaps it is to prepare the following year... when he is done with school, if he has already connections with a coach, he may be willing to make that move... he could be trying out at TCC, and then with other coaches in other centres, before making his official move next year....a bit like when students scout universities.

My take on Joseph moving to TCC : I don't see the harm. I know he likes the Decelles twins but he also likes Conrad... so what he would lose in Rosemère, he may gain in Toronto. Yes : Yvan is a great coach for him. Yvan also did very well with Nic until Nic got injured. So I don't think there is any issues there but a young guy feeling like moving to another coach to develop further. It's pretty common at that age.

For those wondering about crowded it would be out there : I think it would be wonderful to have 3 extremely talented young men training together. Male skating in Canada has been the story of ONE man for the last 10 years. Having these 3 guys trying to outshine one another could be very good.

Also, considering Joseph's already superior skating skills, I can see how someone like David Wilson for instance, would love to work with him. I think Joseph is more polished than some of the other skaters his age and is ready to find his place, wherever that may be.

Go Jo!

Haleth

On the Ice
Guess who's NextGen entry has been updated on the Skate Canada page! https://skatecanada.ca/nextgen/

Did his standing change? My gut says yes, but memory can be unreliable. Regardless, he is now listed as the no. 1 man, with Stephen just behind him at no. 2.

Here's hoping he qualifies to compete for the home crowd in Vancouver!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i just want Jo to be lucky this year... he had unfortunate mishaps last year that costed him both JGPF berth and worlds medal... and.. well.. i hope his 3flip is on the inside edge...

sweetcre4ture

Spectator
Go Joseph!!! I'm really hoping this is the season where he breaks out for sure, after going 4th at Jr Worlds and first alternate for the JGPF.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's my 1080p fancam of Joseph's winning SP from the Quebec Summer Championships: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rrize

It was such a joy to watch this performance in person; there's something magical about the way he skates. :love: :luv17:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I spoke to him after the long program, and he has confirmed that he's now training at the TCC with Orser. (Most of you probably already knew that, but just in case there were some folks who weren't sure, it's official that Joseph has moved to Toronto.)

He was disappointed with tonight's performance, and I had to promise him that I wouldn't upload my fancam, so here's the Junior Men medal ceremony as a consolation prize: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rtp5q

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
he may be already done growing...

Actually, I noticed that Joseph looked taller both on the ice and while I met him. I've checked his ISU bio (which was updated yesterday http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015182.htm ), and it says that he's now 178 cm, which is 5'10", an increase of 3 cm. I could still be wrong about him perhaps being taller than Nam one day (whose bio was updated in June, and he's listed as 180 cm, which is almost 5'11"; he used to be an even 5'10"), but Jo only turned 17 just over a week ago, so we'll see.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
While I did promise Jo I wouldn't upload my fancam of his LP, he didn't say anything about the livestream version... :scard8: (sorry if I potentially hurt his feelings by sharing this, but I'm sure there are fans who don't want to search through nearly 7.5 hours of footage :eek: to find his free skate): https://streamable.com/wgm1a

It took half a day to download that monster, and when I tried to find and then isolate the section I wanted, both my video player and my video cutter nearly crashed from the sheer size of the archived footage. Sheesh, why don't the people who are in charge of Patinage Québec's Dailymotion channel separate the files into more digestible chunks?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
While I did promise Jo I wouldn't upload my fancam of his LP, he didn't say anything about the livestream version... :scard8: (sorry if I potentially hurt his feelings by sharing this, but I'm sure there are fans who don't want to search through nearly 7.5 hours of footage :eek: to find his free skate): https://vimeo.com/285509123

It took half a day to download that monster, and when I tried to find and then isolate the section I wanted, both my video player and my video cutter nearly crashed from the sheer size of the archived footage. Sheesh, why don't the people who are in charge of Patinage Québec's Dailymotion channel separate the files into more digestible chunks?

i know what you mean.. but since Jo and I have a special connection :) when i clicked I got right there at the right spot from the super long video and watched only him LOL but then, in future, I can come here and watch your clip... thanks

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I did promise Jo I wouldn't upload my fancam of his LP, he didn't say anything about the livestream version... :scard8: (sorry if I potentially hurt his feelings by sharing this, but I'm sure there are fans who don't want to search through nearly 7.5 hours of footage :eek: to find his free skate): https://vimeo.com/285509123

That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be :slink: I enjoyed it, pops and all. But I do wonder how much harder it is to skate to this now that 30 seconds or so had to be cut off :think:

ETA: Thanks for uploading the vid and for confirming his move to TCC.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The short program in Lithuania was clearly a challenge for Joseph, but I was impressed by how he still saved all those landings (by the time we got to the 3F, I was terrified he was just going to fall, since I expect the mounting sense of dread would have been immense by then).

He's been looking really nervous at all his events so far this season.