Alena Kostornaia | Page 179 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

macy

Record Breaker
Alena was not in good shape today morning. But sometimes it’s happened and then she make her best.

i wouldn't worry too much, she didn't have great practices at her GP events either. what matters is what she does when it's go time :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
i wouldn't worry too much, she didn't have great practices at her GP events either. what matters is what she does when it's go time :)

Yes, I wasn't too surprised since she tends to have a rough run-through when she's skating at the beginning of the practice. :yes:

I did see some clips of nice jumps (including 3A) later, so hopefully she will be ready to go in the actual SP. :agree:

You can do it, angel!! Don't think about the scores, don't think about anyone else, just show the audience your gorgeous skating and FLY!

GO ALIONA GOOO!! :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

Vemvane

On the Ice
Fingers crossed that she has a lovely clean skate when it matters, and that she is happy with herself! Good luck, Aliona!

jasonwong

Spectator
Alena Kostornaia SP Score: 85.45

(TES 49.48, PCS 35.97)

World Record (breaking her own), and personal best! Wonderful job

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, the real key will be the SP. :yes: If she skates like she did at NHK, then she hopefully will have a sizeable lead going into the FS! :pray:

You've got your wish fulfilled, dear Batsuchan, Alyona went first out, delivered a faultless program and never had to look back.

She can win this tomorrow by herself, on her own strength. Is her starting order known? Going last will give her all the crowd's energy.

Vemvane

On the Ice
That was another lovely performance by Aliona, and what a gorgeous 3A. She had to rush a little at the end, to get the wing beats on time, but otherwise, that was foot perfect, and afterwards, I was just overwhelmed by the beauty of her skate, and had tears in my eyes as I waited for the score. And what a score! Congratulations, world record-breaking angel! May she skate every bit as brilliantly tomorrow.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Saw her live today and she was STUNNING. She is so so so good!

Honestly my dream is to see Aliona skate live!! You are sssoo lucky!! And the rest of event ladies event was wonderful too!! If you have time you should post about your experience in here or in the Russian Ladies Thread!!

MRani

On the Ice
Amazing job Alena! Thank you for being the only favorite of mine to have a good skate today lol. She was behind the music for the entire second half of the program but kept her cool, finished her elements cleanly, and then improvised the choreo into the ending pose to still end on the music. I admire her cool head under pressure. It’s fortunate her program is choreographed to still have some choreo after her last element. The overall effect was a bit rushed for those of us who have watched the program a million times already (like me :laugh:) but I imagine for anyone viewing it for the first time they wouldn’t even be able to tell!

Imagine

Medalist
She seemed tired in the step sequence, which might be why she was lagging behind the music...but actually, I kind of prefer the ending without the 1 second spiral lol.

MRani

On the Ice
I am overall against the trend of 1 second spirals but Alena is my exception to that rule lol.

And she was behind the music since before she went into her combo. I have no idea how she got so behind though.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think she got a little behind on the lutz and then the flying camel was a little slower than usual so she got more behind. Smart of her to perform the elements cleanly even though she was off the music and cut out the spiral that isn’t worth anything at the end.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, last year at the JGPF Aliona won the SP with a world-record score, and this year at the GPF she does it again!! AMAZING!! :hap57: :cheer2:

I have to admit that I was almost ill with nervousness before Aliona skated, and I was mentally preparing myself for disaster, but when I saw Aliona smile when Eteri saw her off, I thought, "Ok, she might just do this!" And then she did!! Our angel was absolutely HEAVENLY today! :love: :love:

She took her time, she let every moment of the choreography breathe--and maybe she took too much time because she ended up well behind the music! :laugh: But that happened at the test skates too so she knew what to do. :agree:

Tomorrow she has to do the same thing (except being late on the music)--don't think about what anyone else has done, just go out calmly and skate her very best!! :yes:

This was already posted in the Russian ladies thread, but it really is too cute not to re-post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vrITRp5vR/?igshid=zo3jefgegc49
OMG, her laugh just KILLED me, it is SOOO cute!! :love:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Well, last year at the JGPF Aliona won the SP with a world-record score, and this year at the GPF she does it again!! AMAZING!! :hap57: :cheer2:

I have to admit that I was almost ill with nervousness before Aliona skated, and I was mentally preparing myself for disaster, but when I saw Aliona smile when Eteri saw her off, I thought, "Ok, she might just do this!" And then she did!! Our angel was absolutely HEAVENLY today! :love: :love:

She took her time, she let every moment of the choreography breathe--and maybe she took too much time because she ended up well behind the music! :laugh: But that happened at the test skates too so she knew what to do. :agree:

Tomorrow she has to do the same thing (except being late on the music)--don't think about what anyone else has done, just go out calmly and skate her very best!! :yes:

This was already posted in the Russian ladies thread, but it really is too cute not to re-post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vrITRp5vR/?igshid=zo3jefgegc49
OMG, her laugh just KILLED me, it is SOOO cute!! :love:

Thank you for that report. it's unbelievable how Alyiona can have a less than mediocre practice and then go out and score 85. Lol. Amazing. The free skate should be an incredible sight all the way around.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Just a few more quick notes on the SP:

1) Aliona got the highest PCS of the group for skating skills, as she should! :yes2:

2) The 3A looked so amazingly easy today, I was so impressed! :eek: But when I saw the replay with the statistics, I was kind of shocked because the height was pretty low relative to what Aliona is capable of (based on rough estimates).
https://twitter.com/meguroadCH/status/1203037589936230400
But what surprised me even more was how quickly she got into a tight rotating position (which is why she could pull off a clean jump without height of ~60cm). This gives me hope that she can tighten up her air position if she needs to on her other jumps, which also makes me think she could do a quad... :yes:

Also, Aliona got 10.97 for her 3A, meaning GOE of +2.97, which is her best-ever GOE for a 3A or 3A combo! :agree: This is second only to Rika's +3.04 GOE.

3) Individual judge scores for the SP:
https://twitter.com/SkatingScores/status/1203039439552942083
Unsurprisingly, the Russian judge gave Aliona 88.45, but the Italian judge gave her 88.66! Perhaps he/she has been listening to Ambesi & Dolfini's podcasts where they rave about Aliona? :biggrin: