Alena Kostornaia | Page 169 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Vemvane

On the Ice
Here "Alena Kostornaya, live from 14.05.2018" on 0-40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=VGUYqNZvkYk&feature=emb_logo Alena says that she has green eyes.

Ah, thank you, Nord Stream 2! Green eyes it is then.

So, since we've been talking about eye color, I decided to look it up on Wikipedia, and I found out quite a few interesting things!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

Apparently, blue or green eyes don't actually have blue or green pigment, but rather they APPEAR blue or green because of the way light is scattered through the translucent layer in the iris (Tyndall effect), the same way the sky appears blue because of the way light scatters through the atmosphere (Rayleigh scattering)! :eek: As a result, the color of these eyes will look different depending on the lighting--which is exactly the effect I've observed in Aliona's eyes! :yes:

Also - this is a random but related comment. In old Japanese, there was only one word for blue-green ("ao"), and not separate words for blue and green, and I guess this is a pretty common thing in other languages. So if I were talking about Aliona's eyes in Japanese, I wouldn't have to say if they were blue or green; I'd just say they're "ao-i." :biggrin:

Oh, this is all very interesting, from the science to the linguistics. In Xhosa, luhlaza means "blue", "green", similar to ao-i.

Also, thank you for sharing the snippet on Aliona from the podcast - love the compliments they give her. She is so musical, and such a brilliant performer.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Already said this in 2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating. I repeat here. Suddenly, someone has not seen ...

Сегодня-день тишины.

Все волнуются.

Давайте вспомним, какими были наши любимые девочки всего полтора года назад.
Уже тогда темная сила злой ведьмы Этери чувствовалась.
Худые голодные дети беспомощно лежат на своих кроватях и просят хотя бы стакан воды.
Почему ведьма лишила их детства? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqQKYPmDg0

В конце задайте вопрос.

Кто из них станет олимпийским чемпионом? https://www.instagram.com/p/BkdY0nyD8U1/

SkateSkates

Medalist
Already said this in 2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating. I repeat here. Suddenly, someone has not seen ...

Сегодня-день тишины.

Все волнуются.

Давайте вспомним, какими были наши любимые девочки всего полтора года назад.
Уже тогда темная сила злой ведьмы Этери чувствовалась.
Худые голодные дети беспомощно лежат на своих кроватях и просят хотя бы стакан воды.
Почему ведьма лишила их детства? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqQKYPmDg0

В конце задайте вопрос.

Кто из них станет олимпийским чемпионом? https://www.instagram.com/p/BkdY0nyD8U1/

Funny old video of them goofing off at the training camp! Glad they are able to not take themselves to seriously. And Aliona is the biggest joker of them all, of course.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Funny old video of them goofing off at the training camp! Glad they are able to not take themselves to seriously. And Aliona is the biggest joker of them all, of course.

Yes, Aliona is the most mischievous imp, of course! :biggrin:

Another day, another post about people raving about Aliona! :love: This time it's Inside Skating!

Click here and scroll through to see their pictures of Aliona from IDF (search for "Alena"):
http://www.insideskating.net/2019/1...to-journey-into-2019-internationaux-de-france

This is what they said about her FS (bolding is mine):
Lightness, smoothness – and power to the fingertips. Alena Kostornaia is the real deal. And her skating skills, and her performance skills are TO DIE FOR. Yes, we need captions for Alena Kostornaia – that huge it’s what she did in Grenoble.

And that’s how you debut on the Grand Prix stage.

And we’re not forgetting about the two triple Axel jumps, we are just stunned with her overall qualities. She is the complete package – no doubt about it.

And she knows that people are here not only for the jumps, but for the overall program, “for the show” – she says it loud and clear in the winner’s interview. And age has nothing to do with what she does on the ice – she’s so outspoken also, she definitely has a philosophy of skating. And she has so many fans already – from the hardcore lovers of the sport.

And we’ll say it again, to make sure you all read it: we are mostly impressed with the easiness she moves across the ice, with the speed, the flow, the effortlessness, and she’s as fast as impressive in her overall movements. She’s airy, she’s floating, you have the impression she was born on skates.

She is a natural born talent, exactly that.

…and she’s also that little nugget you’re thrilled it got discovered – and you hope her skating years won’t be over very soon. She has the potential to be something really big in skating. She is already.

Yes, I hope we have many years to see her beautiful, effortless skating! :yes: :love:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona finally has her IG account authenticated (Trusova's already was). Now, let's hope she won't forget the password again or have the account compromised/hacked.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Got my Алëнка chocolate today. Can't wait to see the real Алëнка next week. 🥰🥰

madmax

Rinkside
As for the podcast with the Italian commentators, here is the link (it's #4 from 13 Nov):
https://www.spreaker.com/show/kiss-cry-reloaded

Are there any kind and generous Italian-speaking fans who would like to translate the highlights for us? Please? (madmax? sweetice?) :pray:
We would greatly appreciate your help! :bow:

Well, with the amount of love they have for Aliona, I think this is going to be a full time job :laugh:
In a nutshell: :laugh2:

[Paone] In the last few days we received many questions about the curious story of Aliona Kostornaia.
How is it possible that this girl, initially considered not so good, an athlete considered hopeless by most, a kind of ugly duckling, has become a swan, acclaimed by all?

Ambesi talks at length about Aliona’s career, from its beginnings with Marina Cherkasova, to the transition to the Sambo 70 school, in the department that was headed to Tchaikovskaia, with the coach Elena Zhgun.
He says that the first turning point in her career came after the 2017 junior national championships, when she placed sixteenth, over fifty points under Zagitova.
A few days later she competed in an open competition in Moscow and she was eighteenth.
She had to retire or try to change something.

[Ambesi] She choose the most difficult way: try to join Khrustalny department, the group of Eteri Tutberidze.
Tutberidze has doubts, but decided to have her take a week-long test.
The impact of Kostornaia on Tutberidze was the same that we will see with all the Russian former dance champions: an immediate falling in love with Aliona.
Tutberidze was not a champion, but she competed in dance and immediately realized that she had never had such a skater in her group.
After ten days Tutberidze informed her that she has been accepted.

According to Ambesi the second turning point was Shcherbakova’s injury, which offered her the chance to compete in the junior grand prix.
He describes the good results in the final of the junior Grand Prix, in the senior national championship (in his opinion she deserved the second place), in the junior national championship and in the junior world championship, always second behind Trusova.

[Ambesi] Someone started to say: this Kostornaia is good, but she’s not a winner.
A few days later was posted on social networks a video in which Aliona Kostornaia performs this:
back inside rocker, forward inside counter, change of edge, triple Axel!
(I hope the translation is correct: venda interna indietro, controvenda interna avanti, cambio di filo, triplo Axel).
All the experts who saw this element were amazed.
Something like that could only be performed by another person, that Japanese skater, that pretty good one (referring to Yuzuru Hanyu).
Aliona was preparing the triple axel for the junior world championships, when she got injured.
She had to stop a month before she could resume training and declared she would abandon the triple Axel.
But Aliona is a proud girl.
After the Russian test skate she suffered something that she considered an offense, because the experts commented that Kostornaia is good, that she is a beautiful skater but she has no future.
Exactly the things they said about her before she moved to the Tutberize group.
Aliona burst out to Daria Pavliuchenko, her best friend, who encouraged her to try again the triple Axel.
This was the third turning point of her career.
After a few days, It was mid-September, Aliona returned to Khrustalny and said to Sergei Dudakov that she wanted try the triple Axel again.
Sergei proposed to try again with the help of the pole harness. She refused the help: she wanted to try without support.
The first attempt went wrong. On the second attempt, she executed the element. She also succeeded in subsequent attempts.
At that point they decided to introduce the triple Axel in Finlandia Trophy, at least in the free program.
In the short she maintained the double Axel. A double Axel that for quality, difficulty of the transition of entry and exit deserves the +5 unanimous.
(Ambesi really gets excited here)
Sometimes the +5 does not arrive and we all ask ourselves why. Such a thing was done only by Hanyu when he was thirteen.
That element is worth +5. There is nothing to discuss.
If a judge gives her +3 he/she must stop judging. He has to do something else in life, because he can't tell a single reason why he doesn't give +5.
He is unable to explain a reason! He can't judge a competition!
:laugh:
Anyway, she won the Finlandia Trophy.
At that point, the attention of the media and of the former Russian champions moved to the Grenoble GP, on the challenge between Kostornaia and Zagitova.
The former single skating athletes, like Butyrskaya, exposed themselves by saying that Zagitova has something more than Kostornaia.
The world of dance, Marina Zueva and others, saw that Aliona is the strongest.
In Grenoble Aliona skated very well in the short program, despite being very tense.
All observers expected a big score in that short program, around 85, she also expected it.
Aliona sat in the kiss & cry, waiting for the score and ... 76 appeared on the video!
They called the triple Axel under rotated, it was very questionable, and the Lutz for unclear edge, which we can agree.
The components score was similar to Trusova’s in Skate Canada.
Aliona's reaction was like this: it wasn’t worth the effort, it wasn’t worth the risk.
In Finland she had scored higher, with a program with the double Axel.
She couldn’t understand.
In the first interviews, while the others were still skating, they asked her what she thought of the competition. She didn’t spoke explicitly against the technical panel and the judges.
Actually, she was very angry, because she didn’t understand what happened (Ambesi here uses another, much more colorful terminology: I don’t want to be banned by the moderators).
Once the interviews were over, she went in a corner near the locker room, watching the performances of the skaters in the last group, the best placed ones in the world ranking.
One after the other, they fell. Even Zagitova messed up. At the end Aliona won the short program.
The disappointment, the anger turned into half contentment.
She couldn’t explain what happened and commented tersely that the junior world was much easier.
In the free she was much more relaxed and performed a double Axel and eight triples, including two triple Axels.
She won with 236 points, second higher score after Alexandra Trusova.
The rest of Aliona’s story is all to be written, because we don't know how far this athlete will succeeds.
She can win everything, or not, because in figure skating things change quickly.
Her story teaches us that in any case we must always believe in it till the end, if we feel we have something inside.
You can turn into the figure skating greatest hope, because those who love figure skating rely so much on the potential of Kostornaia.
It's a bit what happened with Hanyu in the four-year period that began in 2010 and ended with the Sochi Olympics.
From 2007 to 2010 it was a quadriennium of technical regression, the darkest four years of men's figure skating, with few noteworthy programs.
We were coming from that dark period, then it happened: Yuzuru Hanyu's free program in junior competitions. The figure skating fans said that only Yuzuru could save this sport. Yuzuru and his triple Axel as high as the balustrade.
Yuzuru saved men figure skating, bringing it to excellence.
We'll see if Aliona, who has many points in common with Yuzuru Hanyu (!), will be able to do something similar for ladies figure skating.
Even half of it would be enough and it would already be great.

[Dolfini - 42:12] You have already highlighted the similarities between Kostornaia and Hanyu (again!)
The first point of contact is the smoothness, the mastery of the skates, the overall quality of skating.
Both athletes jump very well, especially the edge jumps, like Axel and Rittberger.
Hanyu manages to land the quadruple Rittberger, while for Aliona the triple Rittberger is a strong point.
Aliona is one of the few athletes in the history of figure skating who have landed the triple Axel in competition, less than a dozen.
The Salchow is also a strong point for Aliona. We'll see if she can get a quadruple Salchow.
The quality of their skating is highlighted by the quality of the edge jumps.
She has some weaknesses too, like some uncertainty in the toe jumps.
Her jumps are wide, high, with an important flight phase. This does not only depend on a very advantageous weight / power ratio, which is more evident in the case of Trusova, but also on an excellent technique.
Aliona has a particular technique, which can be discussed, anyway it allows her to take the jumps at full speed and to have a wide flight phase.
Those elements deserve the positive GOEs they receive. Besides the size of the jumps, there is also the quality of the air position and the smoothness of the exits.
Above all, she is one of the most complete athletes.
[Ambesi] Speaking of smoothness, ability to change direction, mastery of the skates, skating skills, which former athlete can be compared to Kostornaia?
[Dolfini] We said about the similiarities with Yuzuru Hanyu. In the female field comes to my mind Shizuka Arakawa.
Kostornaia’s skating is reminiscent of these oriental athletes, because it is soft and smooth.
She bend her knees very well. She increases the speed with this rhythmic bending.
Not just bending. Watch carefully at her skating: bending and extending at the right time.
There is this softness in her rhythmic movement and you can see it very well in that passage you underlined, before the triple Axel: back inside rocker, forward inside counter, change of edge, triple Axel.
If you look closely you will see that this step, which in itself is an element of difficulty, for her is even helpful, it gives her an advantage.
Because she execute that step with a great rhythm: not only she does not lose speed, she almost increases the speed.
This ability is the trademark of the great skaters, who know how to use knee and ankle in an outstanding way.
Regarding the smoothness I could also make a comparison with Carolina Kostner, who however got it in a different way, more based on lightness, on the ability to extend.
Mind you, Carolina also bends very well, but the impression she leaves is different, as if she did not weigh on the ice, while Hanyu and Kostornaia seem to being at one with the ice.
This is why the first comparison that came to my mind was Arakawa.
[Ambesi] Kostornaia, an honorary citizen of Sendai, then.
[Dolfini] We talked about Aliona’s skating from a technical point of view, but we cannot ignore the interpretative quality of such a young girl. This is truly a rare commodity.
Her presence on the ice, which we can bring into the performance voice, is something exceptional.
It is something very difficult to see, at such a young age.
She already have a great personality.
The way she uses the upper body movements and the head. The way she communicates with the viewers. These are qualities proper of the most experienced skaters.
From this point of view, it makes you say that she is a predestined one.
[Ambesi] Her connection with the spectators is not simply a grimace, a smirk, as for many others. It's another thing.
[Dolfini] No, because it involves the whole body.
It involves the arms, the movement of the whole upper body.
Of course, she also uses the head and facial expressions. They are important, but the performance doesn't have to be limited to that.
As for Samodurova, for example, who is skilled at using that aspect.
Everyone uses his weapons.
Japanese athletes have always had great smoothness, great skating skills, while in interpretation they struggle more.
In the case of Kostornaia we really have the complete package.
[Ambesi] In my opinion, right now Aliona Kostornaia is worth nine at least on four of the five components of the program. I have some doubts only on composition, especially in the free program.
I think that proceeding the season, if the technical quality will remain at the same level, she can expect 37 in the short and 73-74 in the free program.
If she will be able to go further, she could even become the athlete to beat or almost.
[Dolfini] Yes, because then the others have to risk a lot to stay at her level.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Well, with the amount of love they have for Aliona, I think this is going to be a full time job :laugh:
In a nutshell: :laugh2:

Seems your ITA commentators have done their jobs, researched some of the skaters careers and results, well done :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
That element is worth +5. There is nothing to discuss.
If a judge gives her +3 he/she must stop judging. He has to do something else in life, because he can't tell a single reason why he doesn't give +5.
He is unable to explain a reason! He can't judge a competition!
I love these two!!! :laugh2: they are so passionate! :laugh: and they're completely right!! where're Aliona's +5s? :dev2:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, with the amount of love they have for Aliona, I think this is going to be a full time job
In a nutshell:

THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH madmax!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :thank:

I really, really appreciate you taking the time to do such a lengthy translation for us!! :bow:

They really do love Aliona, don't they? Too bad they're not the ones doing the judging! :biggrin:

I appreciate that they have really done their homework and know all about Aliona's history. :agree: I also appreciate that they can be somewhat critical, if necessary--they acknowledge that her Lutz does have an unclear edge sometimes, and that the composition of her free program could be better (I agree). :yes:

But how amazing is it that so many commentators around the world are so impressed by Aliona?! :eek: She really is a special one. :love:

Vemvane

On the Ice
Thank you, madmax! What a fantastic podcast - they really do love her!

Looks like Aliona had lots of fun at Rostelecom Cup on Saturday! :agree:

Many fans took photos with her, which you can browse here:
https://www.instagram.com/teamkostornaya/

She looks particularly angelic in this one:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B47pGRaJjUP/ :love: :love:

And this one made me :laugh: But I couldn't figure out who is hugging her...anyone know?? :confused:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B47aXORJW_b/

I didn't realise she was there - the livestream only showed Anna and Kamila, that I can remember. I hope all the girls had a lovely time at Rostelecom! That last photo makes me laugh as well. Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Is this a clip from public TV or from the tech camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNlFzZR0iT4, in my eyes, this is an -awesome- triksel ...

.... the way Alyona approaches at full speed, cuts sharply into the curve, kicks her free leg and achieves great height, and lands on the projected red line, with hardly any pre- or post rotation, shows no strain in her face and easily jumps out of it ....

In my eyes, this is equivalent to the perfect Yurchenko 5/2 vaulted by Maroney in the 2012 Olympic Games

SkateSkates

Medalist
Is this a clip from public TV or from the tech camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNlFzZR0iT4, in my eyes, this is an -awesome- triksel ...

.... the way Alyona approaches at full speed, cuts sharply into the curve, kicks her free leg and achieves great height, and lands on the projected red line, with hardly any pre- or post rotation, shows no strain in her face and easily jumps out of it ....

In my eyes, this is equivalent to the perfect Yurchenko 5/2 vaulted by Maroney in the 2012 Olympic Games

And yet, this jump was determined UR by the tech panel. I hope this didn’t discourage Aliona (she seemed a bit perplexed/upset in the kiss and cry) and she is working harder to make sure the landing is perfect and effortless - giving the judges no reason to even review the jump at all.

Batsuchan

Medalist

It really is so amazing how much height she gets in these jumps. :eek: And as Johnny Weir pointed out in the NBC commentary, her legs aren't even tight in the air. I wonder if that's something she can fix--she would probably rotate faster if she had a tighter air position, so then UR's wouldn't be an issue.

That's partly why I'm not too worried about Aliona losing her jumps if she grows/fills out--right now she's landing her triples with room to spare, so I hope that if she needs to, she can tighten up the air position. :yes:

Ambesi & Dolfini kind of alluded to this in their podcast, but I actually think it's easier for Aliona to do the 3A WITH steps. I actually think it would be tough for her to do the 3A after holding right back outside edge for a long time like a lot of skaters do. I feel like she uses the steps to establish a rhythm and timing and modulate her speed, and it just seems like it might be tougher for her to do the jump from a long preparation. But what do I know?

This does make me think that she will have to get super comfortable with the 3A before we might potentially see an Ina Bauer entrance, but that could be something to work on in the off-season! :agree:

Just a few more days until NHK Trophy! I *think* that Aliona only needs to finish 5th or better to get into the GPF, but I'm sure she wants to get another gold medal. :yes: She will face some tough competition though--Rika may have a "home court" advantage, and I expect Alina to perform well in Japan too. Makes for a very exciting competition, or rather, an extremely nerve-wracking competition for me! :dbana:

Ugh, being a super fan is SOO STRESSFUL!! :drama:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It really is so amazing how much height she gets in these jumps. :eek: And as Johnny Weir pointed out in the NBC commentary, her legs aren't even tight in the air. I wonder if that's something she can fix--she would probably rotate faster if she had a tighter air position, so then UR's wouldn't be an issue.

That's partly why I'm not too worried about Aliona losing her jumps if she grows/fills out--right now she's landing her triples with room to spare, so I hope that if she needs to, she can tighten up the air position. :yes:

Ambesi & Dolfini kind of alluded to this in their podcast, but I actually think it's easier for Aliona to do the 3A WITH steps. I actually think it would be tough for her to do the 3A after holding right back outside edge for a long time like a lot of skaters do. I feel like she uses the steps to establish a rhythm and timing and modulate her speed, and it just seems like it might be tougher for her to do the jump from a long preparation. But what do I know?

This does make me think that she will have to get super comfortable with the 3A before we might potentially see an Ina Bauer entrance, but that could be something to work on in the off-season! :agree:

Thanks for your added comments, for I think they make sense. With this rhythm and modulation of speed and power by using steps the entry not only gets 'easier', but also 'better rewarding' and certainly more special than most of the other triksels currently on ice. Alyona is used to constantly changing her footing, changing her posture and body tension, constantly moving her shoulders and arms, this defines her artistry and it seems to come natural to her.

So maintaining this flow, sometimes giving it a pattern, really seems to help her.

When this is all true, credit and respect to #TeamTutberidzeForProgress again for finding the right solution to a problem that was nagging them for like two years.