Alena Kostornaia | Page 201 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
Congratulation to Aliona our new European Champion! :hap10:

I just want her to let her body & mind rest for Worlds, I'm sure the 3Lz fall was a result of nerves because she was so off going into the muse part of her program.... I kinda expected something gonna happen I'm so sorry :sad4:

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I was just able to watch Aliona’s performance because a kind soul posted a fan cam of it on youtube. Saying I am irritated with all of the copy rights and geo blocking in the US is an understatement :laugh:

Anyways, Aliona performed very well, besides the lutz. I think that her opening triple axel- double toe was the best that we have seen her do in competition. She really made that triple look as easy as a double, I was amazed. In addition, her triple triple combination hit the beat of the music perfectly, that was another good highlight. The lite fall seemed harder than I thought it was, I hope Aliona is ok. I saw her check her arm for any cuts. One thing that is concerning me is that after both her long and short programs, it looks like she grabs/holds the left lower side of her back. I hope that her recent growth after nationals isn’t effecting her back. I didn’t notice her wearing any sports tape though, so maybe I am just being paranoid. Overall, congrats Aliona!! Get some rest and have fun in Graz!!

Fluture

Record Breaker
Aliona is already busy after her win. All the dance teams + ladies were there for an autograph session but Aliona wasn’t because she has a fotoshooting. I like that - companies should recognize her greatness! Hopefully she’ll get some more deals in the future.

Of course I was a bit sad not to get an autograph from her but I already have one from JGP Linz so I really can‘t complain.

McBibus

On the Ice
Aliona is already busy after her win. All the dance teams + ladies were there for an autograph session but Aliona wasn’t because she has a fotoshooting. I like that - companies should recognize her greatness! Hopefully she’ll get some more deals in the future.

Of course I was a bit sad not to get an autograph from her but I already have one from JGP Linz so I really can‘t complain.

Too bad you didn't casually bump into her during these days.
If you can find the time in the next days please share whatever you feel like to.

Particularly after the SP you sais "She IS a star"
I do agree but I'm curious about your personal why.

thanks

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Congratulation to Aliona our new European Champion! :hap10:

I just want her to let her body & mind rest for Worlds, I'm sure the 3Lz fall was a result of nerves because she was so off going into the muse part of her program.... I kinda expected something gonna happen I'm so sorry :sad4:

I think the 3Lz fall might have been because she pushed the outside edge too far. It was one of her best edges this season, but maybe she wasn’t used to it.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm really chuffed that she won again and proving to everyone once again that you don't need quads to be the queen. I had hoped for another clean performance just as the cherry on top of the cake, but that was too much hoping I guess. Still, very well done.

I was surprised though. I kinda expected Anna Scherbakova's performance to make her go on 1st place. I'm generally no fan of young girls breaking their bodies for the sake of sport/quads, but I have to admit that apart from that one fall, it was tremendous.

And because girls like Anna + Alexandra with their score-boosting quads, I have the sad feeling that Kostornaia won't be able to hold her 1st place for very long. :( I wonder if she'll be out next season (depending on how much Trusova improves and how many other girls start picking up quads).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I was just able to watch Aliona’s performance because a kind soul posted a fan cam of it on youtube. Saying I am irritated with all of the copy rights and geo blocking in the US is an understatement :laugh:

Anyways, Aliona performed very well, besides the lutz. I think that her opening triple axel- double toe was the best that we have seen her do in competition. She really made that triple look as easy as a double, I was amazed. In addition, her triple triple combination hit the beat of the music perfectly, that was another good highlight. The lite fall seemed harder than I thought it was, I hope Aliona is ok. I saw her check her arm for any cuts. One thing that is concerning me is that after both her long and short programs, it looks like she grabs/holds the left lower side of her back. I hope that her recent growth after nationals isn’t effecting her back. I didn’t notice her wearing any sports tape though, so maybe I am just being paranoid. Overall, congrats Aliona!! Get some rest and have fun in Graz!!

She took several hard falls on her hip bone. And I've come across a photo where in her Bielmann position a big protective plaster was visible under her tights: https://s74794.cdn.ngenix.net/m/f19b/00fb/61c1/fcde/6c9c/d48b/3e43/eca9/1200_1200_max.jpeg, so one can expect her (and all the other skaters that have taken hard falls on hip bones, femur heads etc) to be bruised blue, purple and green. Battle scars for figure skaters.

SkateSkates

Medalist
She took several hard falls on her hip bone. And I've come across a photo where in her Bielmann position a big protective plaster was visible under her tights: https://s74794.cdn.ngenix.net/m/f19b/00fb/61c1/fcde/6c9c/d48b/3e43/eca9/1200_1200_max.jpeg, so one can expect her (and all the other skaters that have taken hard falls on hip bones, femur heads etc) to be bruised blue, purple and green. Battle scars for figure skaters.

Yes, she’s been wearing protective silicone pads under her tights in competition all season since she started attempting the 3A. Definitely better to be safe and wear them - it’s really only visible in photos of her spins, but you can’t tell from videos so it doesn’t distract from the performance.

silveruskate

On the Ice
^ That Lutz looks outside edge too from Aliona if you pause it! (And borderline so as fan I wouldn't give underrotation :p)

Batsuchan

Medalist
Can someone please translate this?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7ycmk2oY0j/

Anna is laughing as anybody else

Here is the transcript of their conversation, which you can read through GoogleTranslate:
https://sport24.ru/news/other/2020-...rbakovoy-chempionat-yevropy-2020---foto-video

I don't speak Russian, but I *think* the moment in the clip is when Aliona is describing how the volunteer (a woman) kept stopping her from peeking out of the curtain to see Anna and Sasha's performances. :laugh:

I hope someone does a subtitled version of the full video, because it just seems hilarious and cute! :biggrin:

ETA I just saw that Edwin translated the interview here:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...gure-Skating&p=2563517&viewfull=1#post2563517

SkateSkates

Medalist
So I think based on my calculations and who is going to 4CC/worlds, Aliona should be safe for the final flight for the SP. I Was so worried she wouldn’t have enough ranking points since she missed Jr Worlds last season, but based on who’s been assigned (or hasn’t been) from Russia and Japan it looks like it’s mathematically impossible for her to get bumped out of the final flight!

McBibus

On the Ice

That smile (2nd and 3rd photo) looks finally free minded.
She seemed burdened this last days, even being the mischievus devil we adore out of the ice, like she felt the weight of expectation.
The other two girls seemed really under pressure too.

How did we come to expect perfection from a 16 years old?

I hope she could find the time to recharge the mind and the joy to skate before WC and that she is phisically ok.

Vemvane

On the Ice
That smile (2nd and 3rd photo) looks finally free minded.
She seemed burdened this last days, even being the mischievus devil we adore out of the ice, like she felt the weight of expectation.
The other two girls seemed really under pressure too.

How did we come to expect perfection from a 16 years old?

I hope she could find the time to recharge the mind and the joy to skate before WC and that she is phisically ok.

I think they have very high expectations for themselves, their Fed has very high expectations for them, and the media does as well. I'd be tempted to say that we started to expect perfection from a 16 year old when Evgenia Medvedeva had her two year streak of victory after victory, and then when Alina Zagitova had her phenomenal senior debut season, the standards were set for the Russian girls turning senior from Team Tutberidze. As a whole, the group presents very polished, very consistent skaters, and we are now so used to them winning that they are considered to have bombed if they don't finish in the top three, and can be written off even if they finish second. Which is not a healthy attitude for us to have as fans, I think - there are inevitably going to be ups and downs in a skater's career, and to demand that they are always perfect is setting ourselves up for disappointment.

To bring this specifically to Aliona, I remember last season that she had one JGP SP that did not go to plan, and she was so upset, because she appears to be very much a perfectionist by nature. She looked unhappy when she finished her RussNats gala exhibition, because she made a mistake in it, and that isn't even a competition. Plus, she said it herself in the Euros press conference, that Alexandra and Anna want to be the best, but she aims to skate clean and be satisfied with her performance. She wants that perfection and consistency, and because she has exhibited both of these qualities in spades for a teenager, both as a junior and now as a new senior, I guess we (using a very general we here) are so used to the standard she has set that when she has a day that is not so perfect, not as consistent, we sometimes react more strongly than we should.

(As a horse person side note, I think it is very good for Aliona to have horse riding as a hobby, because horses teach you to accept good enough instead of perfect, because trying to drill a very large prey animal until it is perfect tends to end not so well. You learn patience and generosity for mistakes when working with horses, and how to learn from them, put them in the past, and move on, which I think are skills that can benefit any athlete, but especially the perfectionists, like Aliona.)

McBibus

On the Ice
I think they have very high expectations for themselves, their Fed has very high expectations for them, and the media does as well. I'd be tempted to say that we started to expect perfection from a 16 year old when Evgenia Medvedeva had her two year streak of victory after victory, and then when Alina Zagitova had her phenomenal senior debut season, the standards were set for the Russian girls turning senior from Team Tutberidze. As a whole, the group presents very polished, very consistent skaters, and we are now so used to them winning that they are considered to have bombed if they don't finish in the top three, and can be written off even if they finish second. Which is not a healthy attitude for us to have as fans, I think - there are inevitably going to be ups and downs in a skater's career, and to demand that they are always perfect is setting ourselves up for disappointment.

To bring this specifically to Aliona, I remember last season that she had one JGP SP that did not go to plan, and she was so upset, because she appears to be very much a perfectionist by nature. She looked unhappy when she finished her RussNats gala exhibition, because she made a mistake in it, and that isn't even a competition. Plus, she said it herself in the Euros press conference, that Alexandra and Anna want to be the best, but she aims to skate clean and be satisfied with her performance. She wants that perfection and consistency, and because she has exhibited both of these qualities in spades for a teenager, both as a junior and now as a new senior, I guess we (using a very general we here) are so used to the standard she has set that when she has a day that is not so perfect, not as consistent, we sometimes react more strongly than we should.

(As a horse person side note, I think it is very good for Aliona to have horse riding as a hobby, because horses teach you to accept good enough instead of perfect, because trying to drill a very large prey animal until it is perfect tends to end not so well. You learn patience and generosity for mistakes when working with horses, and how to learn from them, put them in the past, and move on, which I think are skills that can benefit any athlete, but especially the perfectionists, like Aliona.)

Great wording.
I'm aware she gave us reason to expect perfection from her, and I know she pretends perfection from herself, but while she has the right to pretend we have not and we should be lenient.
The horses analogy is very beautiful and effective.

madmax

Rinkside
https://www.oasport.it/2020/01/pattinaggio-artistico-europei-2020-kostornaia-vince-ancora-ma-la-coperta-resta-troppo-corta-serve-un-quadruplo-per-stabilizzarsi-2/
Fabrizio Testa, 25 January 2020
"After conquering the higher step of the podium at the Grand Prix Finals in Turin, Alena Kostornaia also won the European Figure Skating Championships, competition that just ended in the Austrian city of Graz.
A deserved victory, the result of two programs of great quality.
Not that her teammates are outdone: both the second classified Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova, albeit less mature from the point of view of interpretation, can boast a high-value skating, watch for yourself the number of transitions or the time they skate on two foot.
However, Alena Kostornaia has something more.
It’s not only her ice coverage or the extraordinary quality of her elements or the difficulty of her steps.
Her plus is an innate talent in performing and her ability to attract the attention of the spectators.
Qualities that only the stars have.

And yet, despite these wonderful qualities, she does not control her own fate.
Because her direct opponents at the moment have technical elements so high that that they can overturn everything.
….
To sleep easier at night, the Muscovite girl will necessarily have to add at least a quadruple the next season."

--------------------------
https://youtu.be/xkK-pKdsdko?t=218
"Technical" comment on Aliona's fall:
First commentator: "Ehhh, the last Lutz is no good!"
Second commentator: "NOOOOO!"
[Me: "NOOOOO!"]
:biggrin: