Alena Kostornaia | Page 149 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

NaVi

Medalist
If they switch to the 3A in the SP, I'd like to see them try the Ina Bauer entry for the 2A in the LP.

macy

Record Breaker
i'm interested to know if she will change anything before her first GP. will they add the 3A in the short? backload one in the free?

SXTN

Final Flight
i'm interested to know if she will change anything before her first GP. will they add the 3A in the short? backload one in the free?

I think in the fs they will keep everything the way it is now and I am sure they will add the 3A in the short.

She talked about 4S in recent interviews, but that's still a long way to go.

skatergurl7

On the Ice

Last pic! So feisty. Really improved her performance and facial expression this weekend. I think her FS dress got mixed reviews but I loved it! and she changed her insta bio that has the angel and vampire emojis [emoji1356]🧛🏻*♀️

Artemisa

Final Flight
I think in the fs they will keep everything the way it is now and I am sure they will add the 3A in the short.

She talked about 4S in recent interviews, but that's still a long way to go.

In Eteri's world a long way is months or maybe by nationals... :devil:
One thing Kostornaia pass in the interview ... it wasn't the lack of technic that was putting her behind but her mind or maybe she was scare of falling or getting hurt ... know one can put a 3A in weeks if you don't have the rotation already ...
I think this year they won't push the 4 (she was testing 4s ...probably she already have the rotation)... but if she get one 4 ... know one can beat her

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice

I think that Eteri will add the triple axel to the short program, if Alena is more consistent in practice with it. If not then they might just keep it in the free program until the GPF. Alena will need it in the short for the GPF. I don’t know if they would back load a triple axel because then Alena wouldn’t have a back up jump for if she can’t do a combination on either of her flips. Unless they move a combination to the first half, but I think that that would defeat the purpose of moving the triple axel to the second half of the program.

Artemisa

Final Flight

I think is earlier for backloading ... probably they will complicate the first part of the program with 3A and them backloading ... In the short I think in the second GP... If she wins the first GP without 3A in the SP ... they won't push it until the end .. If she came second then they don't have anything to lose because the 2 GP is in Japan against Rika with 3A in the SP and Zagitova.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Nothing is solid yet, the programs might still be adapted under experience gained in training.

Last pic! So feisty. Really improved her performance and facial expression this weekend. I think her FS dress got mixed reviews but I loved it! and she changed her insta bio that has the angel and vampire emojis [emoji1356]����*♀️

Perhaps neither is the dress? This dress might also be temporary, for to it doesn't seem to be that elaborate, and not having any connection with the vampire theme IMO. But perhaps Art in Sports blog will do a thorough analysis of what is shown on ice?

Anyways, Alyona's first senior GP start in France is probably an event to look out for, what will she show and how will the judges evaluate it. Exciting for all involved and for us to witness.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona is on Edea Piano boots now, some of the most expensive, and probably some of the best around. Rated for quads by the manufacturer.

These boots are rated Stiffness 95. Any idea what that means? How comfortable are those boots on your feet and ankles, since skaters need to stand, walk, run around a lot in them before and after ice.
Do stiffer boots need stronger ankles? How long to break them in, and will they last as long?

She is on the best blades probably also, don't know which exactly, but they look to be of separate frame and iron, the frame probably some strong casting, stamped titanium or whatever, the irons high grade steel. But not on these high tech ultra light weight carbon fiber composite that one sees often on men. Does the very small weight reduction really matter in skaters her weight? I also guess due to the geometry of those ultra light weight blades, their rocker isn't constant.
Apart from Tursynbayeva, none of the Khrustalniy skaters uses those blades. (no, Daniil Samsonove rides on them, as does Veronika Zhilina)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alyona is on Edea Piano boots now, some of the most expensive, and probably some of the best around. Rated for quads by the manufacturer.

These boots are rated Stiffness 95. Any idea what that means? How comfortable are those boots on your feet and ankles, since skaters need to stand, walk, run around a lot in them before and after ice.
Do stiffer boots need stronger ankles? How long to break them in, and will they last as long?

She is on the best blades probably also, don't know which exactly, but they look to be of separate frame and iron, the frame probably some strong casting, stamped titanium or whatever, the irons high grade steel. But not on these high tech ultra light weight carbon fiber composite that one sees often on men. Does the very small weight reduction really matter in skaters her weight? I also guess due to the geometry of those ultra light weight blades, their rocker isn't constant.
Apart from Tursynbayeva, none of the Khrustalniy skaters uses those blades. (no, Daniil Samsonove rides on them, as does Veronika Zhilina)

I have to be honest. Stiffness 95 sounds very very very tight. But if Alena can handle it and skate great in those boots then I'm all for it.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I have to be honest. Stiffness 95 sounds very very very tight. But if Alena can handle it and skate great in those boots then I'm all for it.

I believe Kamila and Daria are also in the same model of boots, so I think they are the correct stiffness for Aliona. The chorus boots she had before were very soft and well below her level - and likely contributed to her injury. It doesn’t look like the new boots are affecting her jumps or spins, maybe just the steps a bit as she it will be a little harder to press on a deep edge. But she seems to be adjusted to them just fine.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I believe Kamila and Daria are also in the same model of boots, so I think they are the correct stiffness for Aliona. The chorus boots she had before were very soft and well below her level - and likely contributed to her injury. It doesn’t look like the new boots are affecting her jumps or spins, maybe just the steps a bit as she it will be a little harder to press on a deep edge. But she seems to be adjusted to them just fine.

I totally agree with you SkateSkates! I also suspect that her old boots were not stiff enough for her to be training triple axels and may have contributed to her injury. I also think that she is finding it harder to do the complicated steps in her SP because of the stiffer boots, but I think it's better for her to have the stiffer boots, especially if she wants to try training a quad salchow at some point. :yes:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, I wanted to share my impressions of Aliona's performances yesterday, but apparently I've written something with a censored word, so my post got blocked. Anyway, hopefully I can post it later. I'm absolutely thrilled for her! :yahoo:

I'm sorry to see that she had to give up her dream of becoming a neurosurgeon, but I'm glad we'll get to see her skate for at least a few more years! :yes:

Also, I'm glad to hear that Daria is such a good friend and supporter of Aliona! :love: And Rozanov too. Aliona had said at one point that he is her favorite trainer, and it's nice to hear that he continues to support her as well. :yes:

Batsuchan

Medalist
I have been watching Alena since she appeared in the juniors and hoping she will be able to continue to develop and turn into a good senior skater. I saw her live in the Moscow Europeans gala and was impressed. Friday and today I had the chance to witness her senior debut live in Espoo and I am almost at a loss for words for what I saw. In the past 5 years or so, i have seen most of the current top women skate live (some many times), but I don't think I have ever seen anyone quite like Alena. Her speed and flow on the ice are just in a class of their own, the ease she does every element is just ridiculous, but what I loved most is her refined movement, the finish of everything she does.

The SP is good, but there was some weirdness in the last part - the steps looked small, slowish and convoluted in particular. Part of the armography felt also unrelated to what she was doing in general. I think I was also hoping for the 3A to appear in it, and was slightly underwhelmed.

But she did not fail me in the FS. I did not like the test skate version of the program very much at all - I could not read the story from the movement, there was very little difference between the human and vampire Bella esp. with the quite different styles of music. I still think they should really accentuate the moment of transformation to get it to be more understandable, but the second part had been made different in movement which pleased me. It probably develops further in time. I was also delighted to see a slightly different side of her as a performer. I would not want to see her be a one trick pony when it comes to performance.

Some people did understand to give a standing o at Finlandia - I was on my feet and so was Jimmy Ma who was sitting in the row behind me.

I think she said sth about not having had the time to put the 3A into the short yet. This is quite understandable if it is really true that she started to work on it after the test skates. Also, the entry into the 2A is very particular and they would have to change a lot to make space for the 3A. But I hope they will do it, because that could be her cushion against her peers esp. in the Russian nats. None of them can add anything technically into the short, but she can get slightly ahead with a clean 3A.

Her PCS were through the roof, but for once I agree with all the highest scores :biggrin: Medvedeva got 27+ PCS in her senior debut for SP (what a different world that was?!), Zagitova 31+. Both went on to raise their SP components score by close to 6 points during the season - if Alena gets the same treatment she would end up at 39-40 in the short.

Looking forward to the GPs!!

E

Thank you so, so much for this post and the impressions you posted in the Finlandia Trophy thread! :bow: :bow:

From my own experience, I have learned that what you see on a video can be very different from watching live, so I always try to rely on impressions from people who were actually in the arena. I'm SO happy to hear how impressed you are with Aliona. It makes me even more eager to see her live myself. (She better make that World team!! :yes2: )

One of the Japanese fans who was there posted this comment:
https://twitter.com/tigerlily4lo/status/1182889126959468544?s=19
"When you are watching Kostornaia-Beauty live, she's super fast, so it's hard to take pictures of her." :biggrin:

Which reminds me, the Japanese fans on Twitter often refer to her as "Kostornaia-Beauty," instead of just "Kostornaia." They are not wrong! :laugh: :love:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Aliona has a stalker?

So, for some less happy news... :devil:

After the medal ceremony yesterday, Aliona was sweet enough to go around the rink and take pictures with fans. :luv17: Then this one middle-aged man insisted on putting his arm around her and pulling her close, and then he kinda fell on her and dropped his phone. The whole interaction looked very uncomfortable for poor Aliona. :devil:
https://youtu.be/MLfLFkIUBVw?t=60

So then the Russian fans figured out who he was, and he seems to be kind of a crazy stalker of Aliona. See his page here, and the extremely creepy post where he's kissing Aliona's picture:
https://vk.com/id322191604

SERIOUSLY. NOT. COOL. :mad:

Thankfully it seems that people told Daniil and Skating Finland about it, so hopefully Team Tutberidze will be keeping a close eye on fans' interactions with their skaters. You can read more about the incident here (if you want to):
https://twitter.com/tikudzi/status/1183713213281656832?s=19
https://twitter.com/tikudzi/status/1183725578530234374

The safety of Aliona (and all the skaters) is most important! :yes:

Watch

Final Flight
So, for some less happy news... :devil:

After the medal ceremony yesterday, Aliona was sweet enough to go around the rink and take pictures with fans. :luv17: Then this one middle-aged man insisted on putting his arm around her and pulling her close, and then he kinda fell on her and dropped his phone. The whole interaction looked very uncomfortable for poor Aliona. :devil:
https://youtu.be/MLfLFkIUBVw?t=60

So then the Russian fans figured out who he was, and he seems to be kind of a crazy stalker of Aliona. See his page here, and the extremely creepy post where he's kissing Aliona's picture:
https://vk.com/id322191604

SERIOUSLY. NOT. COOL. :mad:

Thankfully it seems that people told Daniil and Skating Finland about it, so hopefully Team Tutberidze will be keeping a close eye on fans' interactions with their skaters. You can read more about the incident here (if you want to):
https://twitter.com/tikudzi/status/1183713213281656832?s=19
https://twitter.com/tikudzi/status/1183725578530234374

The safety of Aliona (and all the skaters) is most important! :yes:

This is beyond creepy :noshake: at least Daniil got notified about this incident and hopefully they keep this guy away from her. The pedophilic garbage on his page is absolutely disgusting.

Azikin

Medalist
Well, I hope the whole event with all those unpleasant things that happened to her were not too shocking entry to the senior skating world and she will continue to be amazing.. :cheer:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Probably so. but I tend to think that's stiffer is harder and causes pain but in figure skating and maybe just the opposite and offer the support that Alyiona needs to skate her best with.

Well, I wanted to share my impressions of Aliona's performances yesterday, but apparently I've written something with a censored word, so my post got blocked. Anyway, hopefully I can post it later. I'm absolutely thrilled for her! :yahoo:

I'm sorry to see that she had to give up her dream of becoming a neurosurgeon, but I'm glad we'll get to see her skate for at least a few more years! :yes:

Also, I'm glad to hear that Daria is such a good friend and supporter of Aliona! :love: And Rozanov too. Aliona had said at one point that he is her favorite trainer, and it's nice to hear that he continues to support her as well. :yes:
I've been posting in this form since 2014 and only in the last seven or eight months have I been getting many posts deleted for reasons I do not know. I try not to use those magic words that will automatically get the post deleted. But it is frustrating Bat to spend five or 10 minutes on a detailed thoughtful post only to have it not appear. All I can say is you are not alone.

I think most people see brilliance and beauty and artistry and musicality in Alenas performances. when you combine all the aspects of figure skating together she really is the most talented of them all and the most appealing of them all. I don't think puberty will hit her hard like it has some of the other ladies out there so I think we're in for several years of wonderful skating from Alena. :)

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Don’t worry about the boot stifness, I am only an amateur skater and use Edea Ice Fly which are marked 90 in stifness - I cannot imagine going back to anything softer. Stiff boots provide tremendous support and Edeas are very comforable in general :) Breaking in took about a month, but I believe Aliona uses them for a few months now so I’m sure they are already fully comfortable for her. They should last her for at least 2/3 seasons, possibly more :)

SkateSkates

Medalist
We are lucky that so many photographers came to Finlandia this season. I don’t think I’ve seen this same volume of photos come out from any of the other challengers this season!

This photographer got some great photos:
http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/Finlandia2019/AlenaKostornaia/index.html

As did this one:
https://ajtl.pictures.fi/kuvat/Finlandia+Trophy+2019/Ladies+free/Alena+KOSTORNAIA/

https://ajtl.pictures.fi/kuvat/Finlandia+Trophy+2019/Ladies+short/Alena+KOSTORNAIA/

https://ajtl.pictures.fi/kuvat/Finlandia+Trophy+2019/Prizegiving+Sunday/

Sport24 published photos and interviews from each day, which can be found on their Flickr (all photos in their photo stream)

https://flic.kr/p/2husHBZ

Plus many more from Japanese fans who made the trip to see and photograph Shoma.