Alena Kostornaia | Page 183 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

macy

Record Breaker
it does make me worried because she got injured when she was training 3As before, and now that shes jumping it regularly...ugh. i really hope it's nothing big.

Scott512

Record Breaker
it does make me worried because she got injured when she was training 3As before, and now that shes jumping it regularly...ugh. i really hope it's nothing big.
Scary thought for sure. But she's not healthy she should skip Nationals. Aliona has done more than enough this season to be named to the euros team. I'm pretty sure all figure skaters have aches and pains they just have to live with in training and competition. But a fibula or tibula is a different story. I know firsthand because in 2013 I had a stress fracture in one of those on my left leg and walking was hard to do I can't imagine skating on such an injury. :(

ecr1221

Rinkside
Scary thought for sure. But she's not healthy she should skip Nationals. Aliona has done more than enough this season to be named to the euros team. I'm pretty sure all figure skaters have aches and pains they just have to live with in training and competition. But a fibula or tibula is a different story. I know firsthand because in 2013 I had a stress fracture in one of those on my left leg and walking was hard to do I can't imagine skating on such an injury. :(

I would hope she's done enough, but let's not forget what happened to Liza last year... She was sick (can be considered similar to an injury), and despite being on the podium at the grand prix and having a fantastic season, did not get selected for Euros. Instead they sent Konstantinova and Samodurova with Alina. Sitting out of Russian Nationals may not be a great idea for her, even if she is doing better than Liza was doing last year.

Azikin

Medalist
I would hope she's done enough, but let's not forget what happened to Liza last year... She was sick (can be considered similar to an injury), and despite being on the podium at the grand prix and having a fantastic season, did not get selected for Euros. Instead they sent Konstantinova and Samodurova with Alina.
Nope, it was the Worlds where she was supposed to be sent (Mishin was told to prepare her for the Worlds), she wasn't still ready for Euros. But anyway, skipping Nationals is dangerous indeed and we need to pray for Alenka to be healthy.. :pray:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I would hope she's done enough, but let's not forget what happened to Liza last year... She was sick (can be considered similar to an injury), and despite being on the podium at the grand prix and having a fantastic season, did not get selected for Euros. Instead they sent Konstantinova and Samodurova with Alina. Sitting out of Russian Nationals may not be a great idea for her, even if she is doing better than Liza was doing last year.

Alena would never be passed over this season. Her level is just too high and the same with Sasha and Anna. If they are fit they go to euros when they will finish 1-2-3 and they go to Worlds where it's possible they could finish 1 2 3.

Azikin

Medalist
Alena would never be passed over this season. Her level is just too high and the same with Sasha and Anna.
I wouldn't underestimate Evgenia's influence. Elizaveta's level was also high last season, medal at GPF is no joke..

Scott512

Record Breaker
I wouldn't underestimate Evgenia's influence. Elizaveta's level was also high last season, medal at GPF is no joke..

Hmmmm. You are espousing a conspiracy theory you know. ;)

The only way one of 3A won't go to Euros is if one of them bombs Nationals which is highly unlikely.

Batsuchan

Medalist
https://www.instagram.com/p/B59ZMxjpamJ/

finally, episode with Alena coming soon

What happened to this episode? I was looking forward to seeing this SOOO MUCH, but it seems like it hasn't been released yet? :confused: Has all the other drama meant that they pushed back the release date...? :unsure:

Well, speaking of drama, I just hope this doesn't affect our terrific trio, and I hope it doesn't impact how they're scored at Nationals. :pray:
Before all this happened, I would've said that Aliona would've probably been able to make the Euro/Worlds team even if she had a bad competition and finished 4th, but now I am not so sure... :slink:

In my opinion, her situation is quite different from Liza's last year because she's the GPF *WINNER*, not just a medalist, AND she holds the SP and overall world record scores. But with all this extra drama, who knows what could happen?

Let's just hope that Aliona isn't bothered by all this external drama and is able to skate her best! :agree:

Personally, I think it will actually be harder for her to win Nationals than it was for her to win GPF. First, she's probably still tired from having NHK/GPF in quick succession (she only had a 2-week break while Anna/Sasha had 3 or 4 weeks before GPF), and Nationals is coming up soon too. Second, internationally she benefits from having higher GOE and PCS than Anna/Sasha, but at Russian Nationals I expect them all to get very-high GOEs and PCS, and something like a +4 on a quad is worth more points than a +4 on a 3A. That being said, if Aliona skates clean (and if the drama doesn't affect the scoring), I wouldn't be surprised if she got some ridiculous scores, especially in terms of PCS. At Junior Nationals in February, one judge gave her three 10s for the SP, and she got around 36 and 75 in PCS there. Thus, at the upcoming Nationals, I wouldn't be surprised if she got a lot of 10s in her PCS if she skates clean. So maybe 38-39 in the SP and 76-78 in the FS. If she also gets only 4s/5s in GOE, I could see her getting scores like 90 and 170 in the SP and FS. :yes: :eek:

But that still might not be enough if Anna or Sasha go clean. And also, like I said, Aliona may be feeling fatigued, and we know she has that issue with her tibia. So I'm mostly hoping she can have performances that she is happy with and not over-exert or injure herself. :pray:

Manitou

Medalist
In other news, Aliona was named athlete of the month in November by the United States Sports Academy! :laugh:
https://ussa.edu/news/chen-kostorna...ports-academy-november-athletes-of-the-month/

That's really awesome, although objectively I think Aliona's first place over Mikaela Shiffrin is a bit of an overstretch. I am really Aliona's fan, she is my most favorite figure skating lady now, maybe sharing the position with Evgenia and TukTik. But still, Mikaela is a worldwide superstar elite athlete with tremendous achievements, while Aliona is just barely starting. Nevertheless, congrats to Aliona! :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
That's really awesome, although objectively I think Aliona's first place over Mikaela Shiffrin is a bit of an overstretch. I am really Aliona's fan, she is my most favorite figure skating lady now, maybe sharing the position with Evgenia and TukTik. But still, Mikaela is a worldwide superstar elite athlete with tremendous achievements, while Aliona is just barely starting. Nevertheless, congrats to Aliona! :)

Hahaha, well I think all this really shows is that Aliona has fans who are willing to vote for her in these kinds of silly polls--like me! :biggrin:

Speaking of which, vote for Aliona here! :agree: For best skater of 2019!
https://life.ru/t/спорт/1260935/laif_obiavliaiet_gholosovaniie_za_luchshikh_sportsmienov_2019_ghoda

Separately, in case you missed it, there was another little interview with Aliona after the GPF FS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20iighkaHM :love:

Azikin

Medalist
Mikaela is a worldwide superstar elite athlete with tremendous achievements, while Aliona is just barely starting

Yeah, winning GPF and establishing a new world record is such a small achievement... I'm not following Mikaela but I doubt she was more successful in the previous month.. and her previous achievements hardly matter..

But hopefully you're right and Alena is just barely starting! :biggrin:

Vladimir

Rinkside
Hi, everyone! There was some kind of information a month ago, that Aliona is going to be in a show this January. Is it truth?

Batsuchan

Medalist

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
The accolades keep coming! :cheer2:

How cool of Aliona to win a silver doe award already! :hap57: Will there be an actual award ceremony that Aliona will attend?

Yes, there will be an official awarding ceremony at the Russian Olympic Committee headquarters, date and time unknown.