Alena Kostornaia | Page 168 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I, too, am a "horse" person and love the features that highlight Alena's riding skills.. (Yulia L, too..). My sister and I both ride but she is not a FS fan... she watched Alena's SP because I am a fan but also because Alena loves horses... first thing she said was "Alena is very beautiful"... I mentioned that Alena was depicting an angel who comes earth to guide departed souls to heaven... my sister lost her son at age 35 a few years ago.. she hugged me with tears when she learned what the program meant..

Vemvane

On the Ice
Oh, I am so sorry for your sister. How moving that Aliona's SP touched her so deeply.

I have figured that as a horse person, an excellent gift for Aliona could very well be a fancy browband, all done up with ribbons and side rosettes in the colours of one of her costumes, diamante optional. Practical and pretty all at the same time. The only drawback is not knowing whether a cob or full size would be more appropriate for the horses she rides!

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Oh, I see! Well, thank you for collecting all these lovely photos!

I also hope to see Aliona skate in person too! (I really, REALLY hope she makes it to 2020 Worlds!! :pray: )

Speaking of photos, here are a bunch of photos from her FS in Finlandia:
http://mariakateshova.com/alena-kostornaia-free-skate-2019-finlandia-trophy/ :love: :love:

Somewhat silly question I've been pondering--what color eyes would you say Aliona has? :think:
Like here:
http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/IdF2019/AlenaKostornaia/imgpages/image002.html

I thought they were kind of aquamarine (i.e., blue-green), but sometimes they look kind of silver? :confused: Her eyes really seem to change color depending on the light. :yes: All I know is that they're stunning. :luv17:

Wow! Superb photos indeed of her in Finlandia! :agree: I've just spotted that there were a lot of tapes on the upper part of her left thigh... :( I hope she is and will be healthy! As for her eyes, I'm not sure what colour they are, but certainly super special, sort of otherworldly... (in a beautiful way of course). :)

SkateSkates

Medalist
Wow! Superb photos indeed of her in Finlandia! :agree: I've just spotted that there were a lot of tapes on the upper part of her left thigh... :( I hope she is and will be healthy! As for her eyes, I'm not sure what colour they are, but certainly super special, sort of otherworldly... (in a beautiful way of course). :)

At that competition she mentioned something happened to the silicone pads she was planning on wearing, so I think the tape was a solution to keep the silicones in place. Assuming she was wearing them as protection against falls on the 3A.

Also, Max Ambesi published another podcast where it looks like they speak about Aliona again. If anyone can translate that would be greatly appreciated!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, I am so sorry for your sister. How moving that Aliona's SP touched her so deeply.

I have figured that as a horse person, an excellent gift for Aliona could very well be a fancy brow
band, all done up with ribbons and side rosettes in the colours of one of her costumes, diamante optional. Practical and pretty all at the same time. The only drawback is not knowing whether a cob or full size would be more appropriate for the horses she rides!

Thank you. Janet was indeed deeply touched by Alena's SP.... tho gone for 5 years, her son is still part of our lives in memory, a lovely young man ..

The brow band would be a wonderful gift.. very unique in great colors (and a sparkle or two would not hurt! :)) !! Cob or full.. hard to tell tho full might be warranted for use in years to come... Very OT: one of my sister's horses is a Mustang named Duende... since they are wild, mixed heritage horses, she was curious what his genetics would reveal on DNA tests.. turns out he is Arabian with a bit of Welsh Cob!! Sorry to digress..

Batsuchan

Medalist
Hello! I'm new to the forum, have only been following figure skating for a year or so, but I wanted to join this fanfest to say how much I love Aliona as a skater. She is one of my favourites, and I am so thrilled that she has a triple axel to give her a fighting chance of being competitive on a technical level with Alexandra and Anna. She has such poise and elegance, and the way she skates is marvellous to watch - even when she's competing, I'm not as anxious for her as I can be for others, because there is something so assured about her that I find myself trusting everything will be fine. Also, I love the contrast between her short and free programmes this year - I love the angel short, it is really something special, but the way she clearly enjoys her Twilight FP puts a huge smile on my face.

(And tangential to her skating, when I discovered she is horse-mad and is a rider, I had to laugh. We horse girls get everywhere, and I hope Aliona has many happy years with her horses.)

Welcome Vemvane! Please post long and often! :agree:

Batsuchan

Medalist
she was such a smol bean

Smol bean spiral then and now:
https://twitter.com/kostornaia824/status/1194521925067792385?s=03 :love: :love:

I really want to see some videos of these baby Aliona performances, but I think I may die of cuteness overload! :drama: :biggrin:

At that competition she mentioned something happened to the silicone pads she was planning on wearing, so I think the tape was a solution to keep the silicones in place. Assuming she was wearing them as protection against falls on the 3A.

Also, Max Ambesi published another podcast where it looks like they speak about Aliona again. If anyone can translate that would be greatly appreciated!

I thought maybe the tapes looked like they were covering up a nasty bruise from a fall..?
She always jumps with such speed and height that her falls must be particularly painful... :sad21: I would love to see a quad from Aliona someday, but most importantly I want her to remain healthy and injury-free! :yes: :pray:

As for the podcast with the Italian commentators, here is the link (it's #4 from 13 Nov):
https://www.spreaker.com/show/kiss-cry-reloaded

Are there any kind and generous Italian-speaking fans who would like to translate the highlights for us? Please? (madmax? sweetice?) :pray:
We would greatly appreciate your help! :bow:

Vemvane

On the Ice
Thank you. Janet was indeed deeply touched by Alena's SP.... tho gone for 5 years, her son is still part of our lives in memory, a lovely young man ..

The brow band would be a wonderful gift.. very unique in great colors (and a sparkle or two would not hurt! :)) !! Cob or full.. hard to tell tho full might be warranted for use in years to come... Very OT: one of my sister's horses is a Mustang named Duende... since they are wild, mixed heritage horses, she was curious what his genetics would reveal on DNA tests.. turns out he is Arabian with a bit of Welsh Cob!! Sorry to digress..

Yeah, given the way we horse people work, Aliona being small will probably land up riding monster-sized horses. On the other hand, maybe a cob and a full sized browband ... You can never have too much tack! I mean, the possibilities are endless here - saddle pads, polo wraps, fly veils, all colour co-ordinated, for Aliona and her horses.

Re Duende, how cool! I rode a mustang when I lived in California, and loved him to bits - so smart, so confident. My mare is an itty bitty Arabian, and a fun spicy horse to ride, while my yearling is Friesian x Boerperd x something pinto, and very sweet and friendly.

Welcome Vemvane! Please post long and often! :agree:

Thank you!

Re the colour of Aliona's eyes, I'm settling for the Homeric epithet γλαυκῶπις, which means something like "gleaming-eyed", "grey-eyed", "bright-eyed", "blue-eyed". It's conveniently vague, but does seem to refer to eyes that are in the blue/grey range, and would cover the range of shades that Aliona's eyes can appear quite handily. (Plus it's a common epithet for Athene.)

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Yeah, given the way we horse people work, Aliona being small will probably land up riding monster-sized horses. On the other hand, maybe a cob and a full sized browband ... You can never have too much tack! I mean, the possibilities are endless here - saddle pads, polo wraps, fly veils, all colour co-ordinated, for Aliona and her horses.

Re Duende, how cool! I rode a mustang when I lived in California, and loved him to bits - so smart, so confident. My mare is an itty bitty Arabian, and a fun spicy horse to ride, while my yearling is Friesian x Boerperd x something pinto, and very sweet and friendly.

Thank you!

Re the colour of Aliona's eyes, I'm settling for the Homeric epithet γλαυκῶπις, which means something like "gleaming-eyed", "grey-eyed", "bright-eyed", "blue-eyed". It's conveniently vague, but does seem to refer to eyes that are in the blue/grey range, and would cover the range of shades that Aliona's eyes can appear quite handily. (Plus it's a common epithet for Athene.)

Here "Alena Kostornaya, live from 14.05.2018" on 0-40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=VGUYqNZvkYk&feature=emb_logo Alena says that she has green eyes.

Although.. everyone can see that.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Well, Aliona has picture of her riding two different horses on her IG, from 25 and 27 weeks ago. I would guess a cob size would fit the first one, not sure about the 2nd. The bridle isn't the same on the two horses, so if she rides different horses and doesn't use her own tack (which would make sense since it's not like she'd have time to go every week or anything), then she'd have to take apart the bridle each time to put her browband on, then take it off again after she rode. So a saddle pad or something (nice brushes, lead ropes) might be more easily used, and you can never have too many of those in different colours. Maybe a halter (though some places only like leather ones or ones with a leather breakaway, and others are fine with the regular colourful ones). And there's always super cute horse-themed jewelry at tack stores.

Polo wraps can be super cute too, but not everyone uses them much. I used them at the barn I bought my old pony from, but at the eventing barn I moved to we hardly ever used them. We used standing bandages and pillow wraps (cottons) in the stall and for shipping, and rode with boots or nothing. I think I used my polos once in the 6+ years I was there, when my horse had a nick on his leg that the boot would have rubbed.

Thinking back to before I owned or full leased, the first stuff I had of my own was saddle pads, brushes, a crop and lead rope. Actual tack I only got later (though I wouldn't have said no if someone wanted to give it to me or anything).

Vemvane

On the Ice
Good point about dismantling the bridle for the browband. Saddle pads and brushes are probably the most practical; browbands can wait until she has more time for horses. Or just be something special for shows, I guess, if she ever goes that route. I hadn't even thought about horse-themed jewellery, but you're so right; there are some lovely enamel lapel pins at my local tack shop, plus keyrings, pendants, earrings, and stock pins. I love how many horse-themed gifts we've been able to come up with in such a short space of time.

Also, in those photos from 25 weeks ago, I want to tell her to put a helmet on! Brave of her to ride in shorts as well, though I guess that, as she has appropriate gear in the other set of photos, this was more of a fun hop on, hop off ride. She is clearly having a blast, though - what a huge smile!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good point about dismantling the bridle for the browband. Saddle pads and brushes are probably the most practical; browbands can wait until she has more time for horses. Or just be something special for shows, I guess, if she ever goes that route. I hadn't even thought about horse-themed jewellery, but you're so right; there are some lovely enamel lapel pins at my local tack shop, plus keyrings, pendants, earrings, and stock pins. I love how many horse-themed gifts we've been able to come up with in such a short space of time.

Also, in those photos from 25 weeks ago, I want to tell her to put a helmet on! Brave of her to ride in shorts as well, though I guess that, as she has appropriate gear in the other set of photos, this was more of a fun hop on, hop off ride. She is clearly having a blast, though - what a huge smile!

She has a helmet on in a video of her cantering on that horse that she posted around the same time, so I think she just took it off for the picture.

Batsuchan

Medalist

Ooh, I like that description! :agree: I have no idea how to pronounce it though! :laugh:

Here "Alena Kostornaya, live from 14.05.2018" on 0-40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=VGUYqNZvkYk&feature=emb_logo Alena says that she has green eyes.

Although.. everyone can see that.

Thank you Nord Stream 2! :thank: I was wondering what color Aliona would say her eyes are. :yes:

So, since we've been talking about eye color, I decided to look it up on Wikipedia, and I found out quite a few interesting things!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

Apparently, blue or green eyes don't actually have blue or green pigment, but rather they APPEAR blue or green because of the way light is scattered through the translucent layer in the iris (Tyndall effect), the same way the sky appears blue because of the way light scatters through the atmosphere (Rayleigh scattering)! :eek: As a result, the color of these eyes will look different depending on the lighting--which is exactly the effect I've observed in Aliona's eyes! :yes:

Also - To me, Aliona's eyes are particularly striking because they have a very clear "limbal ring"--a dark ring around the outside of the iris--and not everyone has this.
See here, for example:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0_txJsHIvg/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbal_ring

The things I learn thanks to being an Aliona fan! :biggrin:

Also - this is a random but related comment. In old Japanese, there was only one word for blue-green ("ao"), and not separate words for blue and green, and I guess this is a pretty common thing in other languages. So if I were talking about Aliona's eyes in Japanese, I wouldn't have to say if they were blue or green; I'd just say they're "ao-i." :biggrin:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Here's another skating podcast where they talk about Aliona at IDF--thankfully this one is in English and has a transcript!
https://www.inthelopodcast.com/news/2019/11/14/episode-40-transcript

They love her too:
Evie: When are you not a nervous wreck when Alena competes?

Kite: This is fair. True, true, true. But yeah, a minute and a half into her Free Program I just started crying. She's just such a natural performer, and her sensitivity to the music is really quite a breath of fresh air in the Senior Ladies field this season. Especially given that quite a few big-name Juniors are moving up from the Junior ranks into the Senior ranks this season and taking them by storm, she needed something that would make her stand out because she's not doing quads, and I think her real selling point is the fact that she's such an exquisite artist. She's super polished, she has fantastic skating skills, and now that she has the triple Axel I think she's really going to be a contender for the Russian World team.
:agree:

zounger

Medalist
Ooh, I like that description! :agree: I have no idea how to pronounce it though! :laugh:

This is a powerful description indeed. The pronunciation is like "glafkopes", it's just the g is pronounced like the Greek letter gamma rather than English g. I think Alena's eyes have some green hue so glafkopis is more accurate on the bright, shining, gleaming side of her eyes rather than the color itself.