Alena Kostornaia | Page 217 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Batsuchan

Medalist
Thanks for the video! I really hope she skates to Aranjuez, preferably as a LP. It would suit her SO well. Please Daniil and Eteri if you are reading this!! šŸ¤£

So in the Japanese TV interview that was aired before Worlds was canceled, Aliona said (according to the Japanese subtitles): "On the ice, I like to act out emotional stories. Rather than expressing a battle/conflict or happiness, I think I might be better at portraying tragedies."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9mTu0BJj-k/
One of our Russian speakers might be able to provide a more direct translation.

For me, personally, while I think Aranjuez is lovely and melancholy, it's a little too slow for my tastes. I want Aliona to skate to something with more intensity and also a faster rhythm and more flow.

If I were to pick a Latin-sounding song for Aliona to skate to, it probably would be something more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HDYZAD-kUI

It has the intensity I'd want for her (and Aliona did say she likes skating to "aggressive" music), and the underlying beat is quite fast, which I think would lend itself to Aliona flying across the ice quickly...

Separately, I'm trying to think of what tragic pieces Aliona might skate to... :think:

For a while, I've been thinking it might be really amazing if she skated to Barber's Adagio for Strings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MHeNt6Yjs

The part where it builds over 4:30-6:00 is so powerful, :drama: and I could just see that really resonating on a big stage like the Olympics. But it is very slow and a bit repetitive, which would make it very tricky to pull off effectively.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
So in the Japanese TV interview that was aired before Worlds was canceled, Aliona said (according to the Japanese subtitles): "On the ice, I like to act out emotional stories. Rather than expressing a battle/conflict or happiness, I think I might be better at portraying tragedies."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9mTu0BJj-k/
One of our Russian speakers might be able to provide a more direct translation.

For me, personally, while I think Aranjuez is lovely and melancholy, it's a little too slow for my tastes. I want Aliona to skate to something with more intensity and also a faster rhythm and more flow.

If I were to pick a Latin-sounding song for Aliona to skate to, it probably would be something more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HDYZAD-kUI

It has the intensity I'd want for her (and Aliona did say she likes skating to "aggressive" music), and the underlying beat is quite fast, which I think would lend itself to Aliona flying across the ice quickly...

Separately, I'm trying to think of what tragic pieces Aliona might skate to... :think:

For a while, I've been thinking it might be really amazing if she skated to Barber's Adagio for Strings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3MHeNt6Yjs

The part where it builds over 4:30-6:00 is so powerful, :drama: and I could just see that really resonating on a big stage like the Olympics. But it is very slow and a bit repetitive, which would make it very tricky to pull off effectively.

I like the Latin piece you chose; French skater Mae Berenice Meite skated to it couple of seasons ago and did a beautiful job though I think it would suit Aliona SO well

McBibus

On the Ice
This is old, but it's always lovely to see a beaming Aliona :love: :love:
https://twitter.com/cosmichaii/status/1209104006196404225

That is what will happen when you will meet her
(because you're a great fan and you will sooner or later :agree:)
She will look at you smiling with those magic eyes and, even before giving her your present or taking your pic, you will be enchanted :luv17:
and you will remain under her sweet spell for the rest of your life.

P.S. I know you're tempted to say that you're bewitched already, but this will be a spell of a greater magnitude

McBibus

On the Ice
AS for the sponsor there are really so many things we do not know, so it is impossible to have a clear idea.

She shines like a supernova so it would probably be my first pick for a sponsorship, but I'm not the most objective observer here.
We will see.
I think both her, her parents and the club will have a voice on the decision.

What I really don't like is EDEA publishing her photos with logo while she does not appear on the "our skaters" list on their website.
This looks really bad.
All the photos are from international competitions so maybe it is enough to pay the photographer to earn the legal right to put a logo on the pic and post it, but if she's not payed for her image it sounds like and exploit.
I hope she is, even if she does not have a full agreement to be officially declared part of the Edea family.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Iā€˜m starting to dislike Edea more and more. :noshake:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-Y3ebLJ6ak/?igshid=gt90us5vfnel

Btw, here are all of Alionaā€˜s 3A attempts. She had a 82% success rate - in this case meaning that she got positive GOE for it. 14 of 17 attempts. Debuting this 3A for the first time this season, I think this is an excellent result! She didnā€˜t fall once, only had a step-out at NHK and two URs.

How consistently do you want to land your 3A?

Aliona: Yes.

:biggrin:

McBibus

On the Ice
Btw, here are all of Alionaā€˜s 3A attempts.

That's gold.
I love axels much more than other jumps because of the forward takeoff, and surely that contributed to get me so much into Aliona.

We all know her answer would be "No less that 100%!" :hap10:

SXTN

Final Flight
Is the long pause good or bad for Aliona? I think it's actually good.

She has enough time now to adjust to her body changes, maybe learn a quad and when competitions will be held again (maybe at the end of the year) she will be almost 18 and fully grown up. Anna and Sasha on the other hand will go through their biggest growth spurt when we will see them again...

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Diverging the conversation a little bit, I was doing a little scavenger hunt for the ksater with the most expensive boot and blade combination. Aka the edea piano and the JW gold seal revolution. I know Alena used the Jackson Ultima Matrix last year, but does anyone happen to know what blade she uses now with her edea pianos?

Mawwerg

Final Flight
AS for the sponsor there are really so many things we do not know, so it is impossible to have a clear idea.

She shines like a supernova so it would probably be my first pick for a sponsorship, but I'm not the most objective observer here.
We will see.
I think both her, her parents and the club will have a voice on the decision.

What I really don't like is EDEA publishing her photos with logo while she does not appear on the "our skaters" list on their website.
This looks really bad.
All the photos are from international competitions so maybe it is enough to pay the photographer to earn the legal right to put a logo on the pic and post it, but if she's not payed for her image it sounds like and exploit.
I hope she is, even if she does not have a full agreement to be officially declared part of the Edea family.

Afterall I think nobody else won an elite competition with Edea Chorus.:laugh:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Afterall I think nobody else won an elite competition with Edea Chorus.:laugh:

She has Pianos since last February! Hopefully next season she will be on the ā€œour skatersā€ list, but I more importantly really hope Edea is being more careful with their quality control. Theyā€™ve had quite a few high profile scandals with skaters boots suddenly breaking down this season - hopefully it was just a bad batch.

macy

Record Breaker
Iā€˜m starting to dislike Edea more and more. :noshake:

Btw, here are all of Alionaā€˜s 3A attempts. She had a 82% success rate - in this case meaning that she got positive GOE for it. 14 of 17 attempts. Debuting this 3A for the first time this season, I think this is an excellent result! She didnā€˜t fall once, only had a step-out at NHK and two URs.

Aliona: Yes.

:biggrin:

if you compare her first competition with last, you can really see the improvement! her air position gets tighter and it looks much more natural.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
She has Pianos since last February! Hopefully next season she will be on the ā€œour skatersā€ list, but I more importantly really hope Edea is being more careful with their quality control. Theyā€™ve had quite a few high profile scandals with skaters boots suddenly breaking down this season - hopefully it was just a bad batch.

Yeah, but she won JGPF with Chorus.

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
She will look at you smiling with those magic eyes and, even before giving her your present or taking your pic, you will be enchanted :luv17:

P.S. I know you're tempted to say that you're bewitched already, but this will be a spell of a greater magnitude

I just love her beaming face! And her magical eyes! I can almost hear them saying 'I've done it! And all ya hat*rs and sceptics who said I would never ever be able to make it to the top of the podium, just look at me! Here I stand!'. :)

Batsuchan

Medalist

Thanks McBibus! :thank: I hope I will get to meet her, or at least see her skate live! :yes: :pray:

Yes, hopefully she will be on the "our skaters" list--it's a bit puzzling that she isn't already... :confused2:

At Skate America there was already a life-size poster of her at their pop-up stand, and I took a picture with it. :biggrin:

Batsuchan

Medalist

Yes, it really was an amazing result. :agree: I was a huge Mao fan, and I saw her struggle with the 3A for a long time, so it was really stunning for me to see Aliona nail it almost every time. :eek: :bow:

if you compare her first competition with last, you can really see the improvement! her air position gets tighter and it looks much more natural.

Totally agree! :yes:

Aliona finally posted on Instagram. She encouraged athletes to keep in shape but told everyone to stay home and take care of loved ones.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ZGGGRpNSq/?igshid=1xp8bzv9m5457

You know, I saw all the other Team Tutberidze athletes posting videos of themselves doing off-ice training, and I thought, "Sigh, I bet Aliona won't post anything," but she proved me wrong! :laugh:

She makes jumping rope on one leg look so easy! :agree: