Alena Kostornaia | Page 195 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

McBibus

On the Ice
Speaking of endorsements, I mentioned earlier (before Nationals) that I would love to see Aliona as a face of a major luxury brand like Dior or Louis Vuitton. :yes:

And it looks like a Japanese fan had the same idea but made some lovely "ads" featuring our girl:
https://twitter.com/L_oveee/status/1214554732422844417?s=03 :biggrin: :love:

Flying vampire!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7QpKTuJ4C4/
Amazing height! :eek:

They will come.
Actually I'm wondering if she has some kind of agreement with Guess.
If not she should stop wearing their things (at least those immediately recognizable)
She has market value.

On the jump: she's really explosive but look at the perfection of the posture. This could go in a flying manual :agree:
What is really impressive on her is the effortless acceleration. One second she's spinning or dancing on the spot, two seconds later she bolts in front of you at light speed without you could notice her pushing hard. All the muscle effort perfectly shadowed by grace and elegance

Batsuchan

Medalist
So in recent days (leading up to Euros), a lot of Russian figure skating experts have weighed in, and they have said very nice things about Aliona! :agree:

(But, judging from the comments on sports.ru etc, the more the experts praise Aliona, the more people want to root against her... :rolleye: Yes, I know, I know, I shouldn't read these comments... Sigh...)

1) Alexander Volkov (coach)
https://rsport.ria.ru/20200113/1563362264.html
GoogleTranslate:
“In the women's tournament, everything is clear before the start - there will be three figure skaters of Eteri, Shcherbakova, Trusova and Kostornaya on the podium. It’s not clear who will win the European Championship. But all three athletes are worthy of the title. Of course, I like Kostornaya most of all, she ( skating) is already an adult, Sasha and Anya are still children on the ice. The jumps of all three are very beautiful, "said Volkov.

If I recall correctly, Volkov used to be Sasha's coach (??), and he said that Aliona wouldn't do triple axels...? :confused: I think that was him, but I could be wrong.

2) Konstantin Menshov (retired skater):
https://rsport.ria.ru/20200113/1563375904.html
GoogleTranslate:
“The girls, of course, will compete with each other, just nobody can compete with them at the European Championships,” Menshov said over the phone. “Even theoretically no one is able to get close to them. We will enjoy the struggle of our girls, perhaps some complications will be before the World Cup. Maybe Kostornaya (will enhance the content)? I would really like to see a quad performed by Kostornaya. It would be a bomb! "

3) Inna Goncharenko (former coach)
https://rsport.ria.ru/20200114/1563416381.html
GoogleTranslate:
“Of course, the competition will only be between our three girls, and they can eventually change places as they like,” Goncharenko said over the phone. “I prefer Kostornaya because of skating and beauty. This is my personal perception. Although in the free program at the Russian championship Shcherbakova simply conquered me. Trusova, naturally, well done, but I'm talking about my preferences."

Her thoughts on Aliona and a possible quad (with some editing by be):
The coach of the figure skaters Daniil Gleichengauz said that Kostornaya, who had not yet shown the quadruple for the competition, began to master the quad salchow. “The question is - how appropriate is it right now?” The agency’s interlocutor [Goncharenko] began to reason. “If you put in a quad in the near future and open this jumping race, then, of course, Alena’s program will lose in the presentation. At the moment, I don’t see the point of doing this.”
“If Kostornaya perfectly rolls her programs, then she looks winning. True, she didn’t manage to perform cleanly at the Russian championship. She was trembling on the road. I know what kind of energy she can give out, but there she held herself, and that was visible,” Goncharenko noted. “When she is nervous, she restrains her emotions, which is why a couple of landings were not the most “plus.” In my opinion, Alena should start working on quadruple after the summer camp, and now she needs to skate programs to achieve maximum components, and this will be better. "

Personally, I think there has been too little time for Aliona to completely change her FS content to include a quad, so I think it would be unlikely at Euros... :yes: But I do think she will try to do it for Worlds, especially if Sasha and/or Anna have perfected their triple axels.

I do agree that if Aliona got a quad, it would be huge and glorious! :eek: A definite bomb! :yes:

liberrhythm

On the Ice
Hmm...but wouldn't it benefit Aliona to try the quad at Europeans, as the top 3 are most likely going to be the 3As? Worlds is more important, and she doesn't have any competitions between Euros and Worlds to get used to the quad in the freeskate [emoji848]

McBibus

On the Ice
“When she is nervous, she restrains her emotions"

Yep: that's definitely her.
This links with the press conference discussion we had some days ago.
Once again Aliona is Aliona on and off the ice, while some press keeps writing she is some king of Jakill and Hyde.

BTW, for those like Batsuchan that reads sport.ru:
What is there to not like in a girl like Aliona (or Anna or Sasha)?
Seems like sheer idiocy.

lpt

On the Ice
Yep: that's definitely her.
This links with the press conference discussion we had some days ago.
Once again Aliona is Aliona on and off the ice, while some press keeps writing she is some king of Jakill and Hyde.

BTW, for those like Batsuchan that reads sport.ru:
What is there to not like in a girl like Aliona (or Anna or Sasha)?
Seems like sheer idiocy.
There is a lot of amateur and professional trolls cheating traffic. There are also some Tutberidze team haters. Some of them are Medvedeva's diehard fans and hate everybody who is from Khrustalny, some are from Peterburg and hate everybody who is from Moscow, some are from Ukraine and hate everybody who is from Russia. It is a web dumpster.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
If I recall correctly, Volkov used to be Sasha's coach (??), and he said that Aliona wouldn't do triple axels...? :confused: I think that was him, but I could be wrong.

Yes, it's him. He wasn't particularly happy with the progress Sasha made since she moved to Eteri.

SkateSkates

Medalist
The good news is Aliona and the rest of the girls she trains with seem to be focused on praise from only their team and the rest doesn’t matter. I hope they aren’t tempted to read all these articles from experts and so called experts comparing them or hyping one up to tear another down. It will only become more and more difficult.

McBibus

On the Ice
I know! Just 1 more week until the ladies SP, and if we get any practice footage (fingers crossed) it will be even sooner!!

I'm tense for the Euros since 3 days.
I never got so attached to a skater before.
Can't wait to see her fly again

Annayelly

Spectator
Anyone knows anything about the interview channel one did on Alyona? Seems like a pretty fun one. We only get to see the trailer, and nothing else shows.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I was rewatching Gp of France SP.
Look at the change in Aliona's expression when she sees the scoring.
https://youtu.be/1yME0U367yE?t=531

Help from some russian speaking: what she says to Danil?

thanks

P.S. if you prefer to be stunned look from this moment instead :love:
https://youtu.be/1yME0U367yE?t=493

If I remember correctly it was something like “and why did I strain” referring to her attempting the 3A and getting a lower score vs Finlandia with a 2A.

And being there in the arena, I can say the audience was equally shocked/disappointed. After she skated I was talking to the people around me and we were all expecting around 80-82.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Well, that was quite a bit to catch up on, and I am glad to see that posters here think Aliona is no diva, but very sweet. (Let's just hope she doesn't have a phone with her at her next press conference, please!) I'm excited for Euros, to see her skate again - it feels like such a drought since Russian Nationals, and it really hasn't been that long at all! I hope she puts together two fabulous skates, and is satisfied with her own performance.

Re interviews, there was an eighteen minute long interview with Aliona released on 1tv's YouTube channel back at the end of October (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjr78-7vcEM&), but I don't know if it's the one you're looking for, Annayelly. Also, welcome to Aliona's fanfest!

McBibus

On the Ice
If I remember correctly it was something like “and why did I strain” referring to her attempting the 3A and getting a lower score vs Finlandia with a 2A.

And being there in the arena, I can say the audience was equally shocked/disappointed. After she skated I was talking to the people around me and we were all expecting around 80-82.

Definitely 80+, but I found her undersored on PCS even the day after.