Alena Kostornaia | Page 167 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

madmax

Rinkside
And Max Ambesi and some Italian commentators also did a podcast. I know they talk about Aliona, but I don't speak Italian, so I have no idea what they're saying. :confused: :laugh:
https://www.spreaker.com/user/talk-sport/kiss-cry-reloaded-puntata-3

Anyone speak Italian and want to summarize what they said? :pray:

Well, I tried to translate the podcast. I apologize in advance: my English isn’t that good and I didn't have much time, so this is more a draft than a finished work.
I apologize for the text lenght too. I tried to summarize, but they talked A LOT about Aliona, more than half an hour :laugh:

(about the technical panel)
[Ambesi - 33:34] In the ladies competition they were very strict. To be honest, the level of tolerance was similar for all, except for one. Mariah Bell was treated with kid gloves on all the pointed jumps, unlike the others.
Kostornaia's triple axel in the short was good, maybe there could be doubts about the first in the free.
[Ambesi] I didn't understand anything about the judgment in Grenoble. My parameters are completely different.
When I see that Aliona Kostornaia, for some judges, has weaker skating skills and transitions than Mariah Bell, then something’s wrong.
For some judges Aliona was behind Mariah in that components, for others on par. We are facing an aberration. It’s a denial of reality. It’s like claiming that the earth is flat.
There’s a limit to everything. Kostornaia is weaker in two components that have an objectivity, more than the others ... no, it’s not possible!
When I see, this is insane, the SP of Kostornaia, recycled from the past season, very nice, very refined, which proportionately is valued less than the free, which instead is still to be finished, it means that I see something quite different than the judges.
Moreover, if you give to Kostornaia’s SP the same score you gave to Trusova in Skate Canada, then we have a serious problem.
I concede that Trusova’s SP is skated mostly on one foot and that there’s something good ... but we are on another planet. There cannot be only tenths of a point of difference. It's inexplicable.
[Paone - 72:48] As for the ladies competition, the main theme is Aliona Kostornaia, who won clearly in Grenoble.
Have you been surprised that Kostornaia, a newcomer (at senior level), has beaten Zagitova so clearly?
[Ambesi] In short: zero.
First of all there was a precedent in the Russian championships. Kostornaia thrown away the last Russian national championship, falling in the step sequence of the SP, otherwise she would be the current Russian national champion.
It’s simple. Compare the base value of Kostornaia’s programs and the base value of Zagitova’s. If Kostornaia doesn't have a meltdown, she is unattainable for Zagitova.
The real question is: with the same programs, if they performed the same elements, who would be better between the two? My answer is: Kostornaia is better.
Not everyone agrees, someone think that Zagitova has greater artistic maturity. I respect every opinion but we must talk about facts, not fairy tales.
The real facts are that Kostornaia's programs, if skated clean, have a huge base value margin above Zagitova's. Adding the base value and the available GOEs, if they both skate clean, Zagitova is behind by 15 points to Kostornaia on the technical side. Compared to Trusova she is behind by 36 points.
[Dolfini] It hurts. It’s painful.
[Ambesi] If Kostornaia skate clean, with three triple axels, when can she lose to Zagitova?
[Dolfini] Never.
[Ambesi] End of speech.
[Dolfini] I’m not surprised. I’m admired.
It was not to be taken for granted, to win at the debut in the senior category. She showed a great character. She had some difficulties with the triple Axel in practise.
In my opinion she needed the triple Axel to beat Zagitova, in her first international competition as senior. Zagitova is the current Olympic and world champion.
If she were weak in that element, her competition would have been complicated, even if I agree that Aliona has excellent quality in the components, despite her young age. But if she lands the Axel, there’s no history.
She wasn’t event treated well by the judges and by the technical panel, because the triple Axel in the short had not left me in doubt ...
Maybe, watching it in slow motion, they have had a better point of view but a different call wouldn't have surprised me at all.
[Ambesi - 76:41] There are unwritten rules in this sport, that everyone follows.
It appears to the audience that the components scores of Kostornaia’s programs were very low. However, if we analyze the newcomer's scores, especially in the FS, none in the past has ever approached those of Kostornaia.
She got over 71 in the components of the FS, with a program that is objectively much weaker than the short.
Honestly, I would have no problem giving 38 to Kostornaia in the SP. I would have no doubts.
On the current FS I have some more doubts. Clearly her SS should be above 9, and her TR should be around 9. On the other components we can discuss but 9 points average is fair, which means at least 72 points in the FS.
I feel that, refining the FS, she can get more points. Even in the SP she can get at least 36 points in the components.
It seems to me that Kostner still has the record in the SP, like 39 points. I think that the best Kostornaia is not at all inferior (to Kostner). We will see where Aliona, who is still young, will arrive.
Surely, the components score in the SP cry for vengeance. As I finished watching her short program, I expected the world record. I expected 85 points.
[Dolfini] Instead, we didn't even get close.
[Ambesi - 78:39] She got nine points less. I think that everyone was appalled.
I know that some Kihira’s fan consider her SS superior to Kostornaia’s. Let's talk about it ... (meaning he doesn't agree)
[Dolfini] I think that in some aspects Kihira is superior to Kostornaia, but not in the SS.
I am a big fan of Kihira, who I followed for a long time, since she was in the Junior categories, when she had inconstant results. I like her SS but Kostornaia is an exceptional athlete.
All the 3A are exceptional athletes but I regret not seeing the fair difference between Kostornaia’s components and those of Trusova. I would like to see a wider gap.
There must be a difference, just as there is an abysmal difference on the technical side between Trusova and all the others.
If she (Trusova) lands her jumps, she is unapproachable, maybe even for the best Kostornaia, because she simply can’t get the necessary points.
[Ambesi - 80:18] If you add the base value and the maximum GOEs available, Kostornaia starts from 21.17 under Trusova.
[Dolfini] For me it’s amazing that we have three athletes so different that they can satisfy all preferences.
Kostornaia is technically complete. She has a beautiful triple Axel, excellent interpretative qualities, at the highest level.
Trusova is the pure jumper.
Shcherbakova is somehow in the middle. She has something less than Trusova in the jumps and something less than Kostornaia from the artistic point of view.
If these three don’t have a meltdown, it’s very difficult for everyone to get close.
Kihira is extraordinary. There are other athletes of great quality, but right now the three Russian girls are objectively above all.
[Ambesi - 81:44] There is always room for improvement. I think that Aliona’s SP is already the excellence.
Compared to last year, the change from a double Axel to a triple Axel needs a different preparation.
Something, in the preparation for the jump, was lost, because that double Axel is the textbook example of an unanimous +5 GOE.
With the change to the triple Axel you gain points but some quality is lost.
However, I think that at the end of the season the short program with the highest score in the components should be Kostornaia’s.
In the FS the game is more open, but the others don’t have the overall quality of this skater.
Not surprisingly, Kostornaia, who is one year younger than Kihira, always had higher scores at junior level.
[Paone - 83:17] Excluding Gleichengauz, which choreographer would you like to make a program for Aliona?
[Ambesi] I can tell who I wouldn't trust: Lori Nichol.
I'd like to see her work with Jeffrey Buttle, even with different rhythms. With Shae-Lynn Bourne too.
[Dolfini] I was thinking about Shae-Lynn Bourne too.
[Ambesi] Even David Wilson.
But it doesn’t matter, because as long as she remains there (in Eteri’s group), she will work with Daniil.
Daniil is doing a good job.
In my opinion, however, if we look at the FS of the four leading athletes of Tutberidze, the one further back is that of Kostornaia. It will certainly improve a lot in the coming times.
-------
Massimiliano Ambesi is a professional sportcaster on Eurosport Italy.
Angelo Dolfini is a former competitive figure skater, a figure skating coach and a technical commentator of figure skating on Eurosport Italy.
------

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, I tried to translate the podcast. I apologize in advance: my English isn’t that good and I didn't have much time, so this is more a draft than a finished work.
I apologize for the text lenght too. I tried to summarize, but they talked A LOT about Aliona, more than half an hour :laugh:

OMG, OMG, madmax, this is AMAZING!!! :eek:
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to translate everything!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :thank:
And your English seems really good! :agree:

I've known for awhile that the Italian commentators are big fans of Aliona, but it's still nice to see them defending her and arguing that she should've gotten more points, especially in the SP. I totally agree! :yes:

I mean, how could you not give ALL THE POINTS to this happy angel?!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4swgz6oghj/ :love: :love:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Thanks, madmax! Italians are simply the best! Wow, I do agree with them on pretty much everything, they are really hitting the nail on the head! I also think they managed to be very honest, but somehow, inoffensive and very respectful and appreciative towards all skaters.
And most of all they don’t try to bring down others.
I agree that with all 3As landed Alina would lose to Aliona, but they also pointed out Alina‘s artistic maturity (however, I’d add that if Alina skated her best, the gap would be more narrow:) ).
I also agree I’d give more pcs to Aliona in short than Trusova (as well as in the free), however, I’m glad they pointed out positives in Trusova‘s pcs, which I believe people sometimes don’t give her a credit for (a lot of 1 foot skating, I’d add complex transitions and a very high speed).
I agree that I’d have Aliona above Rika in pcs too, and that 3A are above all right now, Trusova is pretty much unbeatable (the quadzilla power!!!), as well as the fact, that it’s amazing that 3 of them are so different and unique, they truly satisfy „all tastes“.
But the line that I agree the most is that her 3A should be +5 :p
Aliona is truly a very special skater and deserves all 9s in pcs and +5 for her 3A. Give that to Aliona, judges!!!

Azikin

Medalist
We are facing an aberration. It’s a denial of reality. It’s like claiming that the earth is flat.
Yeah, something like that. It's obvious that some people are not happy about the fact that 15 year old girls are taking the senior skating world by storm, so they're trying to hold back their scores. Some are even suggesting raising the age limit. But reality cannot be denied for long. Not many people belive nowadays that the earth is flat.. ;)

Minoru

Rinkside
>I think a 4S is the most likely quad from Aliona. To do a quad, you need to get into a tight rotating position almost immediately, and she seems to do this the fastest with her 3S and 3T. Her flip is huge, but it takes her a while to get into a tight rotating position. This creates a very nice delayed rotation effect for a triple, and she ends up covering a lot of distance in her 3F, but I think that would be fatal for a quad. And I feel like she could really mess up her technique and timing for a 3F trying to snap into a tighter position immediately. But I'm not an expert, so who knows?

Maybe good point. I love her long distance Flip and delayed rotation acceleration. It's very cool but she may be able to do quicker acceleration if she wants. maybe, She doesn't do it to avoid doing 3.5F with such flight time. Anyway If she go for 4F, I want to see one like Nathan without a lot of pre-rotation.

macy

Record Breaker
after reading the above interviews, i went searching for Aliona's 2017 jr nats FS as i had never seen it before-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm2JnSfkadA

the improvements in all areas of her skating in about 8 months to her first JGP is absolutely remarkable. i don't think i've ever seen progress and improvement that dramatic happen so quickly for a skater. she came out a whole new skater and literally snatched everyone's wigs.

SkateSkates

Medalist
after reading the above interviews, i went searching for Aliona's 2017 jr nats FS as i had never seen it before-

the improvements in all areas of her skating in about 8 months to her first JGP is absolutely remarkable. i don't think i've ever seen progress and improvement that dramatic happen so quickly for a skater. she came out a whole new skater and literally snatched everyone's wigs.

That was a really bad performance, but yes her improvement was still remarkable.

Her SP at that event and her performances at some earlier events during this season were a better indicator of her talent, but it wasn’t until switching to Eteri that she was able to realize her full potential.

She was actually quite strong the season before (2015-16) and actually qualified for Jr Nats and KMS Cup Final, but then had an injury and was out for the rest of the season. She clearly wasn’t back to full strength in the 2016-17 season. I don’t remember the specific injury - I think her leg/knee? I’ve seen some pictures of her in a knee brace in the 2016/17 season.

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
As it's my very first post here, I'd like to say hi! to everyone with a bunch of beautiful photos taken at IdF GP Series of Alyona. She's one of my absolute favourite figure skaters, she's a magical and unique mixture of artistry and athleticism. I can't wait to see her fulfil her bright future! (She's already made the very first and successful step towards it...) :)

http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/IdF2019/AlenaKostornaia/index.html#thumbnail3

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^ Beautiful photographs !! You captured wonderful expression. Many many thanks for sharing...

Batsuchan

Medalist

As SkateSkates said, that wasn't a good performance from her, and she was still recovering from her injury.

I think this performance from even earlier (2015) shows some of the traits of Aliona's skating that we recognize today--the big jumps, the posture, the flow across the ice:
https://youtu.be/w5QrvxdJ9rk

But yes, Team Tutberidze found a "diamond in the rough" and really polished it until it shone! :agree: :biggrin:

Batsuchan

Medalist
As it's my very first post here, I'd like to say hi! to everyone with a bunch of beautiful photos taken at IdF GP Series of Alyona. She's one of my absolute favourite figure skaters, she's a magical and unique mixture of artistry and athleticism. I can't wait to see her fulfil her bright future! (She's already made the very first and successful step towards it...) :)

http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/IdF2019/AlenaKostornaia/index.html#thumbnail3

Welcome patee!! Please post long and often! Thank you for the beautiful pictures! :thank:

I'm quite jealous that you got to see Aliona live...twice?! :eek: What's her skating like live?

macy

Record Breaker
As SkateSkates said, that wasn't a good performance from her, and she was still recovering from her injury.

I think this performance from even earlier (2015) shows some of the traits of Aliona's skating that we recognize today--the big jumps, the posture, the flow across the ice:

But yes, Team Tutberidze found a "diamond in the rough" and really polished it until it shone! :agree: :biggrin:

thanks for sharing! this skate is a much more accurate representation of her strong basic skills and potential. still, even outside of the missed jumps in her jr. nationals skate, it blows my mind how Eteri polished her in that short of a time frame. she knew exactly what she was doing :)

i also noticed someone commented on that video 4 years ago she has the potential to learn a 3A ;)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

I think it’s Eteri’s biggest talents as a coach. She’s able to see the potential, that others sometimes fail to see, and knows how to highlight the strongest traits as best as possible.

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Welcome patee!! Please post long and often! Thank you for the beautiful pictures! :thank:

I'm quite jealous that you got to see Aliona live...twice?! :eek: What's her skating like live?

Thank you for the warm welcome! :) I wish I'd taken those amazing photos, but it wasn't me unfortunately, so I don't deserve the credits... I just found them on the Internet and thought it would be a good way to enter this nice community. So whoever the photographer is, he / she deserves a big thank you! :) Of course, I really hope to see Aliona skate one day in person and to take photos of her myself too! :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
Thank you for the warm welcome! I wish I'd taken those amazing photos, but it wasn't me unfortunately, so I don't deserve the credits... I just found them on the Internet and thought it would be a good way to enter this nice community. So whoever the photographer is, he / she deserves a big thank you! Of course, I really hope to see Aliona skate one day in person and to take photos of her myself too! :)

Oh, I see! Well, thank you for collecting all these lovely photos! :agree:

I also hope to see Aliona skate in person too! :yes: (I really, REALLY hope she makes it to 2020 Worlds!! :pray: )

Speaking of photos, here are a bunch of photos from her FS in Finlandia:
http://mariakateshova.com/alena-kostornaia-free-skate-2019-finlandia-trophy/ :love: :love:

Somewhat silly question I've been pondering--what color eyes would you say Aliona has? :think:
Like here:
http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/IdF2019/AlenaKostornaia/imgpages/image002.html

I thought they were kind of aquamarine (i.e., blue-green), but sometimes they look kind of silver? :confused: Her eyes really seem to change color depending on the light. :yes: All I know is that they're stunning. :luv17:

Vemvane

On the Ice
Hello! I'm new to the forum, have only been following figure skating for a year or so, but I wanted to join this fanfest to say how much I love Aliona as a skater. She is one of my favourites, and I am so thrilled that she has a triple axel to give her a fighting chance of being competitive on a technical level with Alexandra and Anna. She has such poise and elegance, and the way she skates is marvellous to watch - even when she's competing, I'm not as anxious for her as I can be for others, because there is something so assured about her that I find myself trusting everything will be fine. Also, I love the contrast between her short and free programmes this year - I love the angel short, it is really something special, but the way she clearly enjoys her Twilight FP puts a huge smile on my face.

(And tangential to her skating, when I discovered she is horse-mad and is a rider, I had to laugh. We horse girls get everywhere, and I hope Aliona has many happy years with her horses.)