Alena Kostornaia | Page 197 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Nope, only when she wins. It's obvious all other results are not worth our angelic vampire's attention.. ;):cheer:

No doubt, since the Russian e-media published about it, even a little enraged over the audacity of the Japanese, we can be fairly certain #TeamTutberidzeForProgress know about it too.

And they have given the skaters instructions on how to behave next time. The whole team, coaches and skaters, have a standard, a reputation to uphold, and professional behaviour and interaction with accredited media representatives is part of that.

Heikkitapani

Rinkside
Welcome Heikkitapani! Please post long and often! :)

I agree that Aliona is a dream come true! :yes: :yes: And I also hope that she skates for a long time! :bow:

Thanks!

BTW I´m not been super interested of FS ( I´v followed since Trixi Shuba!) but I definitely gonna watch the EC 2020 ladies. I found Aliona when there is a talk of quads: Anna sherbakova and thrusova. But who is that third beauty? Then I saw dailymotion video of her SP. It floored me, her skating overall was so fantastic never seen before. I´m still fan of Alina Zagitova: I thought that she is a total package of beauty and extremely talent- but Aliona beats her, gotta say.

Batsuchan

Medalist
No doubt, since the Russian e-media published about it, even a little enraged over the audacity of the Japanese, we can be fairly certain #TeamTutberidzeForProgress know about it too.

And they have given the skaters instructions on how to behave next time. The whole team, coaches and skaters, have a standard, a reputation to uphold, and professional behaviour and interaction with accredited media representatives is part of that.

While I do think that it would be good for Aliona to be very attentive (and not on her phone) at the press conferences :yes: ; I unfortunately think that no matter what she does, she's going to get criticized. At NHK Trophy, a Japanese journalist already thought that her answers were too calculating/planned, and not honest. :rolleye: And at the Russian Nationals SP, some people even had the audacity to criticize Aliona for using a hairpin to scratch her head at the press conference. :palmf: :palmf: Like, SERIOUSLY??!! :curse:

These kinds of people are not going to change their critical opinion no matter what Aliona does, in my opinion... :disapp:

But as long as she remains attentive/responsive in her one-on-one interviews and kind/gracious with her fans, then I think the people who matter will continue to support her! :yes:

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I would like to wish Aliona the angel the best of luck this week at Euros!! I think that she will come out fighting because she will want to improve upon her performances from Rus Nats. I hope that they fix the ice before the competition starts, so Aliona and the rest of the competitors can skate their best. Once again, good luck to our little angelic vampire!!

McBibus

On the Ice
Unpopular opinion:
I still think Aliona should win Russian Nationals. I mean, in every aspect.

Wont'be so unpopular here I think :biggrin:
Anna had a very good skate, deservedly won FS.
Total score was close and could go either way matter of details.
I'm Ok with Anna bening the champions, and taking the good lesson out of a defeat it exposed a thing that may have remain not noticed after GPF: Aliona really need a quad or two to remain in the game long term and to use her quality to create a gap an not to compesate for a big BV handicap.

When I watched GPF free skate, comparing the 3A, there was no doubt in my mind (and I think in everyone's mind) that the best FS was Aliona's.
That performance was breathtaking, while Anna and Sasha were no more than good and far from their top potential skating.
Yet, Anna won the FS and that is the real problem for Aliona: she needs more BV.

Now, I don't really care about this year: i care about the next.
Of course, I don't want Aliona to insert a "let's try this" element because it won't suit her.
Aliona's skating is the search for perfection and should remain that adding new elements only with a great degree of confidence and quality

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
...I unfortunately think that no matter what she does, she's going to get criticized.
These kinds of people are not going to change their critical opinion no matter what Aliona does, in my opinion... :disapp:

But as long as she remains attentive/responsive in her one-on-one interviews and kind/gracious with her fans, then I think the people who matter will continue to support her! :yes:

This! I remember reading a comment criticizing Aliona for not talking to Yelim at the JGP Ostrava podium :palmf: I think people will always try to find something to bash her :dev2:

madmax

Rinkside
I unfortunately think that no matter what she does, she's going to get criticized. At NHK Trophy, a Japanese journalist already thought that her answers were too calculating/planned, and not honest. :rolleye: And at the Russian Nationals SP, some people even had the audacity to criticize Aliona for using a hairpin to scratch her head at the press conference. :palmf: :palmf: Like, SERIOUSLY??!! :curse:

IMO Aliona is the only skater in the ladies field who has star quality.
To be a star you have to be good in your sport. Of course, you have to be a champion, but it's not enough.
What is a star made of?
Good looking and a winning smile and intelligence and even a little bit of naughtiness, that’s what a star is made of.
Loving to be in the spotlight and loving the contact with the public, that, too, is what a star is made of.
But most of all a star must have an original personality, out of the ordinary, must dare to sing outside the choir, as we say.
Remind you of anyone? :laugh:

I'm not saying Aliona is already a star, but she has the potential.
Where she is, something out of the ordinary always happens, like at the award ceremony at the IDF.
If nothing happens, she causes it, like at the award ceremony at the GPF, when she pretended to eat the chocolate flowers.
In the press conference at the Russian national championships, both Anna and Sasha refused to answer a question about the possible Russian ban by the Olympic Committee.
Then Aliona said: "But I will not abstain" (from speaking).
What a bold assertion from a sixteen years old! It was a statement like: I’m not afraid to speak, I’m not like the others! :dev3:

There have been many strong skaters in the last decades. IMO none of them was a star.Their notoriety has always been limited to the skating fans and their fellow countrymen. The general public has never known any of them.
In Italy everyone knew Carolina Kostner but, besides skating fans, almost nobody knew Mao Asada or Yuna Kim.
I mean, probably the greatest boxer of all time was "Sugar" Ray Robinson or maybe Floyd Mayweather. How many of you know them? But I bet everyone knows Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay).
They were champions, Alì was a star (actually, he was more than a star, he was a legend). Many hated him, many more admired and loved him.

A personality like Aliona's is too strong and will never be appreciated by all ... so, deal with it.

Batsuchan

Medalist
A personality like Aliona's is too strong and will never be appreciated by all ... so, deal with it.

Yes, I totally agree. :yes: And thankfully I think Aliona is aware of this too.

I completely agree that Aliona has star quality--and at least the ISU seems to have recognized this (I hope). I did think it was very telling that of the 3 A's, only she was nominated for the MVP award (along with Alina and Zhenya).

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. To be a star, you also need the results (i.e. gold medals) to put you in the public spotlight. :yes:

As with GPF and Russian Nationals, Aliona's fate at Euros doesn't rest entirely in her hands...All she can do is skate her best, and I'm sure she's extra motivated to do so since she made small mistakes at Nationals :agree:

So I hope Aliona can have two clean skates and a result she can be happy with! :yes:

I keep scouring social media and the news for evidence that the Russian ladies already arrived in Graz, but I guess the media wasn't waiting for them at the airport like they did at GPF... :laugh: Hopefully we'll get some practice videos tomorrow! :agree:

Vemvane

On the Ice
It is a very cute coat, though for my money, Sasha's is the best, being all pink. (Hey, I like the colour pink.) Glad to see they have arrived! Wishing Aliona all good skating luck for tomorrow - I will try to time my day so I can watch the ISU stream on YouTube.

Batsuchan

Medalist
fs practice today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p06scJE-DU

I haven't found a video with better quality.
She fell on the second 3A and on the lutz at the end, but all the other jumps looked amazing.

Thanks for the link!
(Really, Sport Express, you had to use THAT picture of Aliona as the thumbnail for the video? :disapp: Sighhh... )

Ehh, two falls but the rest clean--seems like a pretty typical first practice for Aliona. :yes:

I really hope that not having a chance to practice on the main rink doesn't affect her! :pray:

I wasn't feeling too nervous ahead of this competition (like I was during the GP series), but now that the SP is tomorrow, I'm back to being a nervous wreck! :drama:

Wishing Aliona LOTS OF LUCK!! :cheer2:

FLY ANGEL FLYYYYYY!!!!! :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

Batsuchan

Medalist
A little bit more from today.

Those eyes! :love:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7qzRKtpowL/

No Pikachu pin today, but it seems she went back to using her pink unicorn tissue holder (instead of the green one)...?

Everybody seems to be looking at Aliona in this photo:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7qkY7dI3LS/
What did our little devil do now? :laugh:

Video of the draw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cpb6q32A14

Unsurprisingly, Aliona was watching something on her phone with Sasha. :laugh: Poor Anna, the third wheel again! :biggrin:
https://doctorpostresito.tumblr.com...rd-wheel-shcherbakova?is_related_post=1#notes :biggrin:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Oops, forgot these!

1) There's a US junior skater who looks up to Aliona!
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-eve-of-junior-debut-at-us-championships.aspx
"I always admired Evgenia Medvedeva, but as of right now I really look up to Alena Kostornaia," Levito said. "I really love the way she moves on the ice, her extensions and her landings. She lands with the same speed she goes into a jump with."
:agree: :agree:

2) Elena Radionova picked Aliona as her favorite:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7rRWIOJusj/
Elena Radionova: Favourite? I will not change the tradition, I will point to Alena Kostornaya. She impresses me a lot as a skater. She jumps well, although jumping now won't surprise anyone in particular. But Alena's skating is very beautiful and feminine, she has charisma. If he skates cleanly, nobody will have doubts that he will be the champion. If he makes mistakes, Shcherbakova and Trusova will get into the fight, ”Radionova said in an interview with the Sport24 correspondent

And yes, this did remind me that my favorites both skated to teen romance movies (Twilight and Titanic) while wearing purple dresses. :biggrin: :love:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Thanks for the link!
(Really, Sport Express, you had to use THAT picture of Aliona as the thumbnail for the video? :disapp: Sighhh... )

Ehh, two falls but the rest clean--seems like a pretty typical first practice for Aliona. :yes:

I really hope that not having a chance to practice on the main rink doesn't affect her! :pray:

I wasn't feeling too nervous ahead of this competition (like I was during the GP series), but now that the SP is tomorrow, I'm back to being a nervous wreck! :drama:

Wishing Aliona LOTS OF LUCK!! :cheer2:

FLY ANGEL FLYYYYYY!!!!! :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

I know...they had another picture of her close up they published to their Instagram they could’ve used instead of the one of her fall! Rude.

I am also still very nervous about her first time being on the main rink for the 6 minute warmup...I really hope the ice conditions and rink dimensions are the same as the practice rink. Still upset about this.

Ok, now thinking positive thoughts for Aliona in the SP tomorrow!! Go Aliona!!