Alena Kostornaia | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
For some reason, Japanese journalists and announcers pronounce everyone's name correctly (except adding vowels between consonants, which otherwise would be too unnatural for them). As well as most Russian journalists and commentators say and write Söma (Сёма, same ё as in Alёna) instead of Shoma. Also, Сёма is a Russian name, short variant of Simon. :)

Sam L

Medalist
I really like Alena. She has a lot of good qualities to her skating. She’s probably my favourite from Eteri’s juniors.

tsangpogorge

Rinkside
About the name. Again.
Look, there is a verb "learn" (to learn something new), her name is differ with two simple A (like in "gun" or "cup") in the beginnig and in the end, so may be the correct way is Alirna or Alearna? what do you think?

I don't speak or understand Russian but I am able to read Cyrillic so it mystifies me why her name is spelt: 'Alena' in English when it should in fact be translated as 'Alyona,' the 'yo' syllable being derived from the letter ë in Алёна.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't speak or understand Russian but I am able to read Cyrillic so it mystifies me why her name is spelt: 'Alena' in English when it should in fact be translated as 'Alyona,' the 'yo' syllable being derived from the letter ë in Алёна.

Good to know :agree:

Unfortunately I’m at the mercy of the ISU here and had to live through the metamorphosis of Julia Lipnitskaia to Yulia Lipnitskaya which had many variations in between. Lol.

I’m proud of Alyona and she really made an impression on me.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
I know the source of the mistake - in written Russian there is an old tradition to substitute Ё with E and russians in 99.99% of cases can tell one from another just using their experience, so they can read and spell E in two different ways. And one day a sport official while preparing bio (personnel file) for ISU transliterated Алена into Alena instead Alyona. He/She didn't think about pronunciation at all. But I'm not sure why coaches and Alyona did nothing to fix it. Perhaps it's a kind of shyness.

AKTKN

Rinkside

There are official rules for transliteration of Russian names:
а - a б - b в - v г - g д - d е - e ё - e ж - zh з - z и - i й - i к - k л - l м - m н - n о - o п - p р - r с - s т - t у - u ф - f х - kh ц - ts ч - ch ш - sh щ - shch ъ - ie ы - y э - e ю - iu я - ia
So if she spells her name as "Alyona" she may not be allowed to board a plane, for example.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
The order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (2003) in it's part about transliteration of Russian names for passports is rather stupid and doesn't distinguish Ё and Е, but it allows "YE" for any of this letters (hmmm, this is stupid too). I guess, guys who passed the law just used the rule of US State Department instead ISO 9-1995 or GOST 7.79-2000 which are more sophisticated.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
There are official rules for transliteration of Russian names:
So if she spells her name as "Alyona" she may not be allowed to board a plane, for example.

Yes, but the question is "why"... Is it just an American thing where they really cannot understand umlauts and never bother learning how to pronounce anything using them or is it orchestrated by someone else?

There's this hockey goalie called Семён Варламов and this transliteration makes quite a difference here.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yes, but the question is "why"... Is it just an American thing where they really cannot understand umlauts and never bother learning how to pronounce anything using them or is it orchestrated by someone else?

There's this hockey goalie called Семён Варламов and this transliteration makes quite a difference here.

Yes we really can't do umlauts because we're pretty Americanized and never bother to learn how to pronounce other things :palmf: my country, really :rolleye:

FSLover17

On the Ice
Don't follow juniors so this is the first time I ever watched Alena. Tbh, I think she's really one of the most beautiful in Eteri's whole group. Her arm movements are so elegant and her program is so lovely! :luv17::love:

jiawen2016

On the Ice
It's funny that at first I remember her name because her last name sounds like the combination of two of my favorite skaters, Kostner + Pogorilaya. :drama: But she certainly got her own style! Her free program is one of my favorites this season, and it reminds me of Yulia's Leningrad that I was madly in love with, maybe because it's from the same artist, and I also just really enjoy the poignant, tender, "young love" programs. I hope she will continue to shine through her senior career!