Alena Kostornaia | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Scott512

Record Breaker
It will not be the best for those who will have to wipe all the blood out :devil:
But seriously, I can't even imagine it. The A-Team, Zhenya will definitely want to prove herself, then Radionova and Tuktamysheva want their positions back, we also have Panenkova and Tarakanova... I'm little afraid to be honest.

All we need is Yulia and Adelina too. ;) it should be very interesting to see how the three great young Juniors fare against the great veteran Russian girls and women at nationals. Will the pressure get to the kittens or the veterans? TBD.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Not hating, but not even her angelic skating could save that horrendous program for me. Omg, it was getting into Radionova levels of terrible. At least in terms of skating programs featuring Leonardo DiCaprio mumbling....hers is so far the best. Like what did they cut the music with, a hacksaw? What’s going on with Eteri’s girls’ FPs this season? Scherbakova too...

Horrendous program? Damn thats harsh.

LoicMR

Rinkside
It would be easier if standard transliteration had 'yo' rather than 'e'. I know how to say it correctly because I've learned the alphabet a bit, but it's totally not phonetic in English. Then people would get closer to saying her name right. Same with lots of Russian names that start with 'E' like Egor and Evgenia. Sometimes people write them with a Y first and if that was the standard English speakers would definitely get closer. It's not as if we don't have the sound. I only just realized that Igor and Egor are different names - I just thought they were different transliterations. Of course, once I realized, it made so much sense, but I hadn't really thought about it.

But I'm not surprised that Ted says it like Alina. Alena isn't a common name in English, and it looks quite similar to Selena, which is pronounced Sel-ee-na. Of course, Elena would be pronounced E-lay-na often, but anyways, I see how he got the ee sound.

I propose we just keep cyrillic for russian names, so let’s all write Алёна and prononciate « Alyona », and that’s all :)
All the Internet is now compatible with all languages, I propose we stop to « convert » names to Latin characters :)
Personally I added the cyrillic keyboard on my iPad and iPhone, very easy to do :) (I’m french and I learnt the cyrillic very quickly, of course for Japanese, Korean, China, Arabic, Hindu... names, it’s another story lol).

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Her FS is not that bad.
And this was definitely not her best performance. She looked so focused on not making any mistakes that she kinda forgot to interpret the music. I'm sure she'll do better in the future.

With that said, last season she had two great programs. This season Daniil was not as inspired... The SP is great, although I think that's just because it is Kostornaya skating it. If it was anyone else that choreo wouldn't have looked as good, that's for sure.

I do hope she can get choreography from someone else other than Daniil in the future. I feel like she can do absolutely anything, she could skate whatever program is given to her to perfection. So she needs some original, extraordinary, masterful choreography and good and interesting music. Just imagine all the masterpieces this girl can produce! :love:

Her skating is amazing! The transitions are so difficult and so well executed! The jumps are beautiful and she has soft landings. And that extension on the landings?? To die for!
She's just amazing. Really, really outstanding skater!
I wish her the best this season, the Russian field is deep but no one skates like Alena.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
First of all contrats Alena on your win and on currently holding the WR for the free skate!

Like I've said before, I'm not a fan of her programs this year, and I think she's feeling the pressure from her training mates. I hope this win will bring her confidence and may she slay in her next assignment.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
She was masterful and I loved both programs but I agree a different choreographer is in order otherwise there is the chance something sublime will descend to the predictable and mundane.. even the most exquisite moves need innovative diverse patterns to grow and develop... I agree she is the best I have ever seen excepting perhaps Yulia...

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
BTW I 've noticed that when she finished, members of US team didn't applaud her at all. They are sitting just above the entrance and can be seen at 4:31. Nothing, not even courtesy applause.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Not hating, but not even her angelic skating could save that horrendous program for me. Omg, it was getting into Radionova levels of terrible. At least in terms of skating programs featuring Leonardo DiCaprio mumbling....hers is so far the best. Like what did they cut the music with, a hacksaw? What’s going on with Eteri’s girls’ FPs this season? Scherbakova too...

That’s very harsh. I think Alena’s FP was lovely, same with Anna. There wasn’t any other way to do Alena’s music cuts really - I didn’t find a big problem with them? But of course the programs aren’t going to be the best this early in the season - by Nationals/Worlds you could have an entirely different opinion on them. I think this season Daniil is going for more of a story in all his programs so it can be better for them to interpret, which I like

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
She was masterful and I loved both programs but I agree a different choreographer is in order otherwise there is the chance something sublime will descend to the predictable and mundane.. even the most exquisite moves need innovative diverse patterns to grow and develop... I agree she is the best I have ever seen excepting perhaps Yulia...

Personally I think her new programs are very much different to those last season. I think Daniil is a versatile choreographer. But yes, it could be nice to see what happens if she has a different choreographer

Fluture

Record Breaker
BTW I 've noticed that when she finished, members of US team didn't applaud her at all. They are sitting just above the entrance and can be seen at 4:31. Nothing, not even courtesy applause.

That wasn‘t exclusively with Alena, though. When Ting Cui started her skate suddenly they were starting to cheer and clap loudly (they had been mostly quiet before that). My mom grinned at me and said: “Looks like the Americans have finally woken up.“ Where I was sitting there were the Russian and Japanese fans (and some British fans, too, surprisingly) so there was always lots of applause for everyone, even the poor girl who got roughly 10 points in her SP and 26 overall.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Thank you for these great pictures. Her expressions are just so full of life.

Just curious who are the other girls on the podium?
You don't follow juniors at all, do you? 0_0 They are Alena Kanysheva and Shiika Yoshioka.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
That wasn‘t exclusively with Alena, though. When Ting Cui started her skate suddenly they were starting to cheer and clap loudly (they had been mostly quiet before that). My mom grinned at me and said: “Looks like the Americans have finally woken up.“ Where I was sitting there were the Russian and Japanese fans (and some British fans, too, surprisingly) so there was always lots of applause for everyone, even the poor girl who got roughly 10 points in her SP and 26 overall.

Thanks for the observation. Was there anything other interresting? By the way is it completely different experience watching it on the stadium vs. on screen?

Giver

Rinkside

By the way, what was with Alena during warm-up? She fell on 3F3T or just made a step-out?

Orlov

Medalist

I remember how at the team competition at the Olympics Trankov-kommentator said after brilliant Alina's DQ: "The Italian team are standing applauding, the Russian standing applaud, sit only Canada and America, but whatever. Americans with stone faces, Canadian... wait, Patrick (Chan) applauds standing. Because Patrick is a real athlete and has great personality!"

tbh, I think this is cultural difference about team-stuff, but at the personal level americans seem like nice people.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I remember how at the team competition at the Olympics Trankov-kommentator said after brilliant Alina's DQ: "The Italian team are standing applauding, the Russian standing applaud, sit only Canada and America, but whatever. Americans with stone faces, Canadian... wait, Patrick (Chan) applauds standing. Because Patrick is a real athlete and has great personality!"

tbh, I think this is cultural difference about team-stuff, but at the personal level americans seem like nice people.

You can definitely see many Americans here, who are nice people, even fans and rooting for foreign skaters, japanese, russian, korean... Like Lusk8 is probably the nicest person I've ever met in any discussion anywhere on the internet. My point wasn't to make Americans look bad.