Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled? | Golden Skate

Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

fredtx121

On the Ice
There have been 3 times the Olympics have been cancelled. 1916 due to World War I, 1940 and 1944 due to World War II.
Due to recent events happening in the world especially with North Korea being in the news for firing missles, do you think it will be likely for the 2018 Olympics in South Korea to be cancelled due to safety measures?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly hope not!

If they were to cancel, I don't think they would make a decision until the date gets closer. The IOC would need to feel that athletes and fans would be in danger traveling to South Korea as well as staying at the Olympic Village during the games.

clippers8200

On the Ice
I don't think there's any chance of this happening. North Korea and the West are in a locked state - both know they cannot act rashly because of the severity of the consequences. South Korea has dealt with these threats for over 50 years and while tensions are slightly escalating now, I don't think there's extreme concern within the country about the safety of the games.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There have been 3 times the Olympics have been cancelled. 1916 due to World War I, 1940 and 1944 due to World War II.
Due to recent events happening in the world especially with North Korea being in the news for firing missles, do you think it will be likely for the 2018 Olympics in South Korea to be cancelled due to safety measures?

I was wondering the same thing. The situation is certainly escalating and as the tension rises, I have been wondering if they will try to change the host country like they did with worlds in 2011. As an athlete, I think I'd be worried about traveling to a country that sits in the cross hairs of a possible nuclear missile. Truly frightening.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I was wondering the same thing. The situation in certainly escalating and as the tension rises, I have been wondering if they will try to change the host country like they did with worlds in 2011. As an athlete, I think I'd be worried about traveling to a country that sits in cross hairs of a possible nuclear missile. Truly frightening.

I don't think it'd be as easy changing an Olympics event's location as it was to change a Worlds Championship's, considering the sheer amount of infrastructures needed for it. They either cancel or go ahead with it.

Mattieu

Medalist
I was wondering the same thing. The situation in certainly escalating and as the tension rises, I have been wondering if they will try to change the host country like they did with worlds in 2011. As an athlete, I think I'd be worried about traveling to a country that sits in cross hairs of a possible nuclear missile. Truly frightening.

Changing Worlds is not anywhere near on the scale of changing the Olympics venue.
The only country I think that could possibly do it is Russia as they have the facilities in Sochi.
Given the current doping scandal over Sochi, this doesn't seem likely.

However, I believe that the NK situation is either going to come to a head very shortly or by Feb, it will be clear that nothing is likely to happen and the games should go ahead.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Changing Worlds is not anywhere near on the scale of changing the Olympics venue.
The only country I think that could possibly do it is Russia as they have the facilities in Sochi.

However, I believe that the NK situation is either going to come to a head very shortly or by Feb, it will be clear that nothing is likely to happen and the games should go ahead.

There's also this place called Vancouver that hosted a pretty amazing Winter Olympics almost 8 years ago. :slink:

mrrice

Record Breaker

I agree that it would be next to impossible. It's one thing to find an arena, it's another thing to find venues for all the other events. I would imagine they would look to Sochi, Vancouver, or Turin Italy. These are the most recent hosts and they have facilities available and could be ready with short notice. What I hope is that the tensions between our countries will ease and this blow over soon.

Barb

Record Breaker

And they are preparing soccer world cup for 2018, I think they are the most prepared country right now for a big event. I mean, without spending so much extra money.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There's also this place called Vancouver that hosted a pretty amazing Winter Olympics almost 8 years ago. :slink:

definitely... housing would be tricky but not impossible...

Calgary also has all/or almost all of its infrastructures still running and at one point there were talks about hosting them again...

I do hope that North Korea is not intending to use the games to put on any agenda... as the world is obviously looking there right now.

I just watched Lubov and Dylan's interview and I agreed with what they were saying about the depth of the field in all disciplines... I don't think it's been that deep all around ever... and it would be a pity for many sports but especially figure skating if the games were cancelled.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I hope everything will go fine and we will find a solution for NK before Feb but i'm very skeptical.

There is a risk: NK is an hot potato and South Korea is exposed with such a huge event to host.

It was good, the two ceremonies a little disappointing (especially compared to the Sochi Olympics), but yeah it would be a good alternative.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
If the situation gets so bad the Olympics are cancelled (which has previously only happened during WORLD WARS) the cancellation and possible relocation is probably the least of everyone's worries.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think that enough has happened already to warrant relocation of the Games. It is better to be done now when it is still possible though it would be a logistic nightmare than the cancelling it altogether closer to the time. My guess that a lot of things/decision making already taking place behind the closed doors that we know nothing about... All this is so unfortunate and I especially feel for all the athletes who must feel anxious and uncertain

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think this is a realistic possibility. However, both allies and enemies of North Korea will be at the Games, so I don't think the country would do anything to endanger the athletes during the event.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
definitely... housing would be tricky but not impossible...

Calgary also has all/or almost all of its infrastructures still running and at one point there were talks about hosting them again...

I do hope that North Korea is not intending to use the games to put on any agenda... as the world is obviously looking there right now.

I just watched Lubov and Dylan's interview and I agreed with what they were saying about the depth of the field in all disciplines... I don't think it's been that deep all around ever... and it would be a pity for many sports but especially figure skating if the games were cancelled.
If the Games did end up in Canada, that means both Patrick and V&M would get 2 Olympics on home ice and be able to have their farewell to the sport on home ice. I can only imagine the support they would get from the crowd!

But, the Games are only 5 months away. I'm wondering how soon the IOC would want to make/announce a decision. How soon was the boycott announced for the Summer Olympics in 1980? Hadn't some sports already had their Olympic Trials?

ETA: Just did some quick research. The 1980 boycott was politically motivated, so the IOC seems to have had little to do with the dates given, etc.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If the Games did end up in Canada, that means both Patrick and V&M would get 2 Olympics on home ice and be able to have their farewell to the sport on home ice. I can only imagine the support they would get from the crowd!

But, the Games are only 5 months away. I'm wondering how soon the IOC would want to make/announce a decision. How soon was the boycott announced for the Summer Olympics in 1980? Hadn't some sports already had their Olympic Trials?

Yes they had! That's why our athletes were so devastated when the boycott was announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I think to cause the cancelling of the 2018 Olympics in South Korea might be at least one big reason for North Korea´s recent actions. That cancelling would be seen as a huge win for North Korea.

mrrice

Record Breaker

ETA: Just did some quick research. The 1980 boycott was politically motivated, so the IOC seems to have had little to do with the dates given, etc.

Yes they were! That's why our athletes were so devastated when the boycott was announced. Also, the games weren't cancelled, they proceeded without the US athletes.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

first paragraph.. yup.. In that sense, I almost prefer if the games are not in Canada... no added pressure for my faves ;) but Russia is not my favourite place either for a judged sport... (sorry).

second paragraph : 1980 is very different... it was a boycott by the western countries... (1976 by the African countries... and 1984 by the Eastern Europeans) so those situations were very different and each federation decided to attend or not... and thus it wasn't an IOC decision to cancel the games.

there are two more things to keep in mind :

1) Olympic truce : during the games, there is a "convention" that it's a time of peace. North Korea could abide by this (or not).... so if the situation isn't getting worse, I would think that the games will happen.

2)Let's also keep in mind that every year, games are threatened by something or another.... Rio : not ready... but still went on... Sochi : LGTB rights, not quite ready either... overblown budget (btw... i prefer having sober ceremonies like in Vancouver than throwing parties that will be a burden for the citizens to pay), Vancouver : protests of all sorts, etc... So it is normal to hear such doubts before the games, which speaks volume about the scope of work and preparation for such events.