Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True, although of course WWII was the first nuclear war. There are terrible senarios where the nuclear exchanges (mostly one way), terrible as they would be, could get way out of hand. China and Russia are playing a game of chicken with the US. If they cut off support for NK, it withers on the vine and dies. If they continue to support NK, it still is a thorn in the west's side. Just like it has been for half a century. Big win for the Comm bloc countries. But all the while NK is building up a nuke arsenal. The question they have to ask themselves is....do they feel lucky? NK drove the first Korean War to a stalemate with Chinese/ Russian help. And nuclear options were considered then, too.
Russia tore down the Berlin wall....east-west tensions eased....Germany re-united.....wish that would happen again but I am not holding my breath.....
Actually the people tore down the Berlin wall.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know when the deadline is but, as the tension continues to rise, I hope the IOC will make a statement regarding the games. If we're all talking about it, you know the athletes and their families have to be worried as well.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Eurosport's logo is today declaring that there are 100 days to go to the Olympics (there are actually 99 days to go, but that's another matter).

So, I think it is now safe to say that we are past the stage where the Games could be re-located if anything happened.

As things stand at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a need to re-locate anyway. Things seem to have gone quiet. Well, they have as far as the British media is concerned anyway.

In fact, the only mention I have heard about North Korea recently was in the following story about the Team GB's plans for what to do if something did happen during the Olympics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/41755154

Although the headline about evacuation plans sounds pretty dramatic, the boss of the British Olympic Association said that this was nothing out of the ordinary - they do the same for every Olympics.

So I think we should take a leaf out of their book and just do the same as we normally do – looking forward to enjoying the Games. :agree: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan