Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    unrequited crush on Yuna Kim and is just doing all this to get her attention but she won't give him the time of day.
    Let us hope he does not love her like he "loved" his half brother, which he killed with a deadly toxin in an international airport.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.665981366b97

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    History may repeat itself. ref wiki
    The 1940 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XII Olympiad, were originally scheduled to be held from 21 September to 6 October 1940, in Tokyo, Japan. They were rescheduled for Helsinki, Finland, to be held from July 20 to August 4, 1940, but were ultimately cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II.

Ironically, The Russians hit Finland with 21 divisions starting the Winter War in 1940. The Finns did so well that Hitler was convinced the Red Army was an empty shell, due to the murder of 30,000 Russian officers by Stalin in 1937.
    Don't forget that year's Winter Games, which were moved from Sapporo to St. Moritz with 19 months to go due to the Sino-Japanese war; and then to Garmisch-Partenkirchen with 10 months to go due to dodgy dealings in Switzerland; before being cancelled with 3 months to go due to WW2.

You might find a couple of my previous posts in this thread interesting – here and here.

CaroLiza_fan

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    The big difference between now and the 1940s, however, is the threat of a nuclear war!

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I'm willing to bet, if the US and other large nations pitch in say 100 mil, he would be quiet as a lamb. I think knowing the Olympics are close by he can get a lot of money. Trump said something about the US is no longer going to give him money like previous presidents did. Soon after he started sending up bombs.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    The big difference between now and the 1940s, however, is the threat of a nuclear war!
    True, although of course WWII was the first nuclear war. There are terrible senarios where the nuclear exchanges (mostly one way), terrible as they would be, could get way out of hand. China and Russia are playing a game of chicken with the US. If they cut off support for NK, it withers on the vine and dies. If they continue to support NK, it still is a thorn in the west's side. Just like it has been for half a century. Big win for the Comm bloc countries. But all the while NK is building up a nuke arsenal. The question they have to ask themselves is....do they feel lucky? NK drove the first Korean War to a stalemate with Chinese/ Russian help. And nuclear options were considered then, too.
    Russia tore down the Berlin wall....east-west tensions eased....Germany re-united.....wish that would happen again but I am not holding my breath.....

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    True, although of course WWII was the first nuclear war. There are terrible senarios where the nuclear exchanges (mostly one way), terrible as they would be, could get way out of hand. China and Russia are playing a game of chicken with the US. If they cut off support for NK, it withers on the vine and dies. If they continue to support NK, it still is a thorn in the west's side. Just like it has been for half a century. Big win for the Comm bloc countries. But all the while NK is building up a nuke arsenal. The question they have to ask themselves is....do they feel lucky? NK drove the first Korean War to a stalemate with Chinese/ Russian help. And nuclear options were considered then, too.
    Russia tore down the Berlin wall....east-west tensions eased....Germany re-united.....wish that would happen again but I am not holding my breath.....
    Actually the people tore down the Berlin wall.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know when the deadline is but, as the tension continues to rise, I hope the IOC will make a statement regarding the games. If we're all talking about it, you know the athletes and their families have to be worried as well.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Eurosport's logo is today declaring that there are 100 days to go to the Olympics (there are actually 99 days to go, but that's another matter).

So, I think it is now safe to say that we are past the stage where the Games could be re-located if anything happened.

As things stand at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a need to re-locate anyway. Things seem to have gone quiet. Well, they have as far as the British media is concerned anyway.

In fact, the only mention I have heard about North Korea recently was in the following story about the Team GB's plans for what to do if something did happen during the Olympics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/41755154

Although the headline about evacuation plans sounds pretty dramatic, the boss of the British Olympic Association said that this was nothing out of the ordinary - they do the same for every Olympics.

So I think we should take a leaf out of their book and just do the same as we normally do – looking forward to enjoying the Games.

CaroLiza_fan

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10