Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
The olympics will not be relocated, this is not an event you can organise within 5 months even if you have the relevant infrastructure for it. Sochi was chosen in 2007 and they were not ready by 2014. I also don't believe all the facilities, which are needed for every single event to happen are useable anymore, not in Sochi, not in Vancouver. Not to mention the huge finances needed for basically starting over - it's not only the venues you need for the Olympics to happen. The games either happen or they are cancelled and for all kinds of reasons I hope they do happen.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The olympics will not be relocated, this is not an event you can organise within 5 months even if you have the relevant infrastructure for it. Sochi was chosen in 2007 and they were not ready by 2014. I also don't believe all the facilities, which are needed for every single event to happen are useable anymore, not in Sochi, not in Vancouver. Not to mention the huge finances needed for basically starting over - it's not only the venues you need for the Olympics to happen. The games either happen or they are cancelled and for all kinds of reasons I hope they do happen.

They may not have a choice. The Korean Peninsula is not large enough to be secured if North Korea is involved in a military conflict. The Olympics were cancelled during WW2 and if things continue to escalate, that may happen again.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
They may not have a choice. The Korean Peninsula is not large enough to be secured if North Korea is involved in a military conflict. The Olympics were during WW2 and if things continue escalate, that may happen again.

I agree with what you say, but as I said, I think if **** hits the fan, the games will be 100% cancelled, not held somewhere else in 2018. I am of course opened to debate about this, I just personally think it is super unlikely the games would be held somewhere else with only 5 months' notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree with what you say, but as I said, I think if **** hits the fan, the games will be 100% cancelled, not held somewhere else in 2018. I am of course opened to debate about this, I just personally think it is super unlikely the games would be held somewhere else with only 5 months' notice.

Correct...Also, I couldn't see them holding the games while the possibility of a nuclear conflict loomed over the world. The US and Russia have both made it clear that they will strike North Korea if Kim Jong Un doesn't back off from the constant testing of Ballistic Missiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danibellerika

Medalist
I have tickets to attend, so I really hope they're going to happen since I spent a lot of money for this. Naturally I'd be gutted for my investment, but also the athletes that have worked their lives for this and the state of the world that I would actually live to see something like that happen. I'm planning to book my flight this week actually, but you'd better believe it'll be with insurance... If the Olympics happen, I think it's because they'll be deemed safe enough to happen. I can't see countries sending their elite athletes into unsafe environment. If it's not good for them then it's not good for me. That's sort of the ruler I'm using here.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
N Korea's Kim is only going for his and his regime's survival, knowing he is next after Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi. Nuclear weapons are the only deterrent he can have. US carpet bombed NK before, killing off 1/3 of its population and has maintained up to 54 military bases in SK, currently 15, plus the war ships with nuclear warheads at sea. NK is a tiny nation with no economy to speak of, with a few $billions in international trades a year. It won't start a suicide war with the US. Any actual war would be initiated by the US, as usual. If there were to be a war, forget the Olympics all together. It would be a global catastrophe and crisis.

lanark

On the Ice
Hey!
I think I'm not very updated on the news.
What exactly is going on???
I know that NK and SK has a complicated relationship and that there's always "missile" talks. But has something specific happened recently? What's the situation?? I'm getting worried.
Not for the Olympics because as someone has stated, if NK attacks SK, moving the Olympics will be the least of our problems.
And I say "our" as in "the world's", because if there is a war, it's like that High School Musical song: "we're all in this together..."

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
N Korea's Kim is only going for his and his regime's survival, knowing he is next after Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi. Nuclear weapons are the only deterrent he can have. US carpet bombed NK before, killing off 1/3 of its population and has maintained up to 54 military bases in SK, currently 15, plus the war ships with nuclear warheads at sea. NK is a tiny nation with no economy to speak of, with a few $billions in international trades a year. It won't start a suicide war with the US. Any actual war would be initiated by the US, as usual. If there were to be a war, forget the Olympics all together. It would be a global catastrophe and crisis.

Indeed. If conflict there is, the last thing we all will be worried about is if so and so lands their quads. Let's all wish for peace.

Ender

Match Penalty
Hopefully there will be no war. It's quite worrying since they're acting so aggressive recently.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hopefully there will be no war. It's quite worrying since they're acting so aggressive recently.

That's because US has been aggressive for almost 70 years, and has been targeting NK openly in recent years. That's why NK has been posturing against the US and its nearby allies if US were to start a war. It has not said anything against the SK. Moon of SK wants to negotiate but is dismissed scornfully by Trump. In fact, the US has consistently refused to talk with NK even when both have representatives at the same events. BTW, the US has turned down the Taliban surrender twice. As much as Afghanistan is the Graveyard of Empires, bringing down Great Britain and Russia before, US wants to stay there permanently for its strategic location, hoping it might be able to interfere with the One Belt One Road development initiated by China to bypass US Navy in international trades.

bevybean

On the Ice

I thought the thing that made Sochi not ready was the construction. Rio it was the pollution which they were suppose to be working on from the time they were awarded the games, but didn't.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I do think that if the infrastructure is there, the Olympics could be moved. (Especially if they stick with the opening ceremonies as they are currently planned rather than changing it to suit the new host country and other things like that.) But I'm not convinced they would go through the trouble and confusion of doing it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's because US has been aggressive for almost 70 years, and has been targeting NK openly in recent years. That's why NK has been posturing against the US and its nearby allies if US were to start a war. It has not said anything against the SK. Moon of SK wants to negotiate but is dismissed scornfully by Trump. In fact, the US has consistently refused to talk with NK even when both have representatives at the same events. BTW, the US has turned down the Taliban surrender twice. As much as Afghanistan is the Graveyard of Empires, bring down Great Britain and Russia before, US wants to stay there permanently for its strategic location, hoping it might be able to interfere with the One Belt One Road development initiated by China to bypass US Navy in international trades.

Unfortunately, the US is not the only country who has a problem with North Korea. As a military brat, I lived briefly in Guam and though I was quite young, I can remember my mother talking about N. Korea and how there were a threat to the base. It's sad that all these years later, things haven't changed.

bevybean

On the Ice
Hey!
I think I'm not very updated on the news.
What exactly is going on???
I know that NK and SK has a complicated relationship and that there's always "missile" talks. But has something specific happened recently? What's the situation?? I'm getting worried.
Not for the Olympics because as someone has stated, if NK attacks SK, moving the Olympics will be the least of our problems.
And I say "our" as in "the world's", because if there is a war, it's like that High School Musical song: "we're all in this together..."

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

Go to any news site and it is a headline for today.

bevybean

On the Ice
Unfortunately, the US is not the only country who has a problem with North Korea. As a military brat, I live briefly in Guam and though I was quite young, I can remember my mother talking about N. Korea and how there were a threat to the base. It's sad that all these years later, things haven't changed.

True. I think the US is getting most of the attention though because a.) we are technically still at war with NK and b.) Trump

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wish they will reuse previous Olympic facilities. Some of the old Olympic sites are extremely sad ruins. Such waste and economic fiasco for quite a few nations.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

You've got to realize that you're comparing apples to oranges here. Sochi wasn't even built when they were chosen in 2007 and they still weren't ready when the athletes arrived. Vancouver on the other hand is already in existence and had a games within the last 8 years so it's wholly possible.

lappo

Final Flight
I wish they will reuse previous Olympic facilities. Some of the old Olympic sites are extremely sad ruins. Such waste and economic fiasco for quite a few nations.

I SO agree with you. I lived in Athens for two years and the Olympics were one of the main reasons (even though not the only one) for the major crisis that hit the country (and that is still very present). I know this will never happen but I would really be glad if the IOC would find two places for the Olympic Games (one for summer and one for winter) and stick to it. In recent years hosting Olympic Games has provided more burden than gain to the citizens of the host country, not to mention all the abandoned facilities. I would totally be for "less fancy more useful" policy and build structures that can be easily repurposed in something useful for the whole population. I could make several examples of bad administration and lack of perspective in my country but it would be boring.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Y'all know what kind of competition this is and it has to do with measuring and appendages. In the end I think this will only be resolved if China and Russia spearhead a resolution. NK and the USA are so far apart that it will take global pressure to resolve it.

And I'm in the camp of if this does escalate to actual warfare the Olympic will be the least of our worries.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You've got to realize that you're comparing apples to oranges here. Sochi wasn't even built when they were chosen in 2007 and they still weren't ready when the athletes arrived. Vancouver on the other hand is already in existence and had a games within the last 8 years so it's wholly possible.

I can testify about the venues and installations still being used (most of them) in Vancouver/Whistler... As I said, the only issue is housing as the Olympic village was sold into condos. That would be the main issue if games were to be moved I would think.