Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

waxel

Final Flight
First France... who next? It's very concerning, but perhaps this will jog IOC into addressing the issue NOW.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, if a war breaks out, I imagine they will cancel event completely. If not, I'd still like to see them move the Games to one of the prior host and Co-Sponsor the event. The event will not be the same if another Country pulls out of the games and at this point...I think it's likely we'll see more teams follow France unless they select a new venue.

whatif

Medalist
Olympics a perfect timing to use those nukes by the "rocketman" and for the "dotard" to respond.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USOC Statement Regarding PyeongChang Games
Sept. 22, 2017, 1:21 p.m. (ET)

Attributable to USOC CEO Scott Blackmun:
“The United States Olympic Committee is very much looking forward to the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, and will participate in the upcoming lighting of the Olympic Flame in Olympia to celebrate the approaching Games. Our preparations continue in earnest and, as with all Games, we will continue to work with our state department and local organizers to ensure that our athletes, and our entire delegation, are safe. We are confident in the PyeongChang organizing committee’s ability to deliver a great Games, and our hope is that the focus will be on our athletes and their great stories as they reach the pinnacle of success and proudly represent the United States in South Korea.”

http://azure5.teamusa.org/News/2017/September/22/USOC-Statement-Regarding-PyeongChang-Games

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Um ... are we speaking of Kim Jong-un's family members?

Badddddd Mathman! No donut! LOL! (OK, I was going to mention the old Korean war and the Vietnam war and the American Civil war and the Stalin purge and the Nazis but YOUR response was better than mine)
Chris waiting to see what happens to people's opinions of folksy ole Kim Jong-un after he explodes a nuke over the Pacific:popcorn:
Peace in our time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Alex D

Record Breaker
This is what I feared. I'm also worried about how South Korea will be able to host if sponsors begin to pull out. The tension continues to rise every time I see President Trump on the news. When I hear things like we're going to obliterate No. Korea, it scares me because you can't obliterate No. Korea without having fallout drift over the entire peninsula. I truly hope things go well but, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

I have to say, that I am not sure what his agenda is.

He is doing the same nonsense that Bush and Obama did, has he not learned from the past two presidents that failed so much? NK has nukes to defend itself against the Americans, threatening NK even more, will not lead to anything. But he is also starting to f... things up with Iran, it´s just unbelievable.

More and more athletes seem to consider to not go, also a German Ski star "Felix Neureuther" noted, that he might not go.

http://www.sportschau.de/winterspor...st---nicht-um-jeden-preis-zu-olympia-100.html

Sam L

Medalist
If athletes don't go to this, they better start moving Tokyo 2020 because if North Korea can strike Pyeongchang, they can strike Tokyo. And then there's Beijing 2022. See you all in Paris 2024?

Alex D

Record Breaker
If athletes don't go to this, they better start moving Tokyo 2020 because if North Korea can strike Pyeongchang, they can strike Tokyo. And then there's Beijing 2022. See you all in Paris 2024?

Well with Macron in charge, I am not sure if France will be such a good country for such an event, either. :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

North Korea has already conducted tests where the missile flew right over Hokkaido (the island where Sapporo is). And that is further than the distance to Tokyo.

China is the only country on friendly terms with North Korea. So, there is no way they would target Beijing. It really would be suicide for North Korea if they did.

But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's just concentrate on calming things down before February.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ryom/Kim have not yet qualified. Did not qualify via 2017 Worlds.

I hope they will qualify via Nebelhorn.

Sorry to repeat what I said in the Olympic contenders thread, but I don't want anyone to get confused.

Top 16 at Worlds qualified (they were 15th) . However, PRK as a country, is not qualified. If South Korea's offer to compete as a joint team, as in the UPI release, were accepted/possible, they could compete.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Top 16 at Worlds qualified ....

No. It is *incorrect* that top 16 pairs at 2017 Worlds qualified for 2018 OWG.

That is not how qualification for 2018 OWG works.

DPRK did not qualify at 2017 Worlds for a 2018 OWG pair slot. Nor did Ryom/Kim as a specific pair.

I have copied below what I posted in the other thread.

... Ryom/Kim's placement at 2017 Worlds did not qualify them for a 2018 OWG spot. (Whether they were to represent North Korea or a unified team for both Koreas.)

The 16 OWG pair spots earned at 2017 Worlds belong to:
China 3
Russia 3
Canada 3
Germany 2
France 2
Italy 2
USA 1​
(See ISU Communication 2093.)

At Nebelhorn, Ryom/Kim have one more chance to potentially earn a 2018 OWG spot for DPRK (or for a unified team, if there is one).

Alex D

Record Breaker
Things not looking promising for the Olympics at this point. It seems like North Korea is stating that the US has declared war. Ugh....can't we just have world peace?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...-war-says-can-take-countermeasures/ar-AAsrRCL

World peace is an illusion I am afraid. It´s not only presidents fighting, it´s also the people on the streets. Look at Spain, France or Germany, there is chaos everywhere. Last time that violence and criminal activities remained unpunished for so long are the 20s and 30s. If the average joe on street, is ready to throw a rock at someone else, than he would also be willing to throw a grenade...

That being said, I highly doubt that anything happens right now. The US can not attack NK, as then Russia and China wil start counter measures and NK, can not attack anyone either, as then the US would do the same, while Russia and China hold still. It´s similar to India and Pakistan, a lot of words, but no action yet.

Still,

I feel as if the IOC should make a decision about the games soon. To me it seems quite weird to fight for gold, not knowing if you can actually bring it home with you. It´s also tough for the family and friends, living with that fear.

mrrice

Record Breaker
World peace is an illusion I am afraid. It´s not only presidents fighting, it´s also the people on the streets. Look at Spain, France or Germany, there is chaos everywhere. Last time that violence and criminal activities remained unpunished for so long are the 20s and 30s. If the average joe on street, is ready to throw a rock at someone else, than he would also be willing to throw a grenade...

That being said, I highly doubt that anything happens right now. The US can not attack NK, as then Russia and China wil start counter measures and NK, can not attack anyone either, as then the US would do the same, while Russia and China hold still. It´s similar to India and Pakistan, a lot of words, but no action yet.

Still,

I feel as if the IOC should make a decision about the games soon. To me it seems quite weird to fight for gold, not knowing if you can actually bring it home with you. It´s also tough for the family and friends, living with that fear.

This is the part I agree with the most. Think about it, some of the athlete's are not even old enough to vote and I can imagine their parents don't want to send them into a hostile environment. Even without actual bombs, the tension in the air is very stressful at this time and as the rhetoric between the 2 leaders continues to escalate, the more I see the games being in jeopardy. The biggest question I have is when would they make the announcement? At some point, people need to know whether or not the games will happen.

I might also add that the US doesn't look all that stable to the outside world. Trumps Presidency hasn't exactly gone smoothly. Now we have football players kneeling for the anthem and daily protests at any political event. We don't have a healthcare plan in place and there is a building tension amongst all the politicians.

Ender

Match Penalty

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is the part I agree with the most. Think about it, some the athlete's are not even old enough to vote and I can imagine their parents don't want to send into a hostile environment. Even without actual bombs, the tension in the air is very stressful at this time and as the rhetoric between the 2 leaders continues to escalate, the more I see the games being in jeopardy. The biggest question I have is when would they make the announcement? At some point, people need to know whether or not the games will happen.

Going back to my first post in this thread, I mentioned that the shortest time-frame for re-locating an Olympics was 10 months before the Opening Ceremony.

What I didn't mention in that post was that the latest that an Olympics was cancelled was 3 months before the Opening Ceremony.

Interestingly, these two stats concern the exact same set of Games – the 1940 Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

CaroLiza_fan

clippers8200

On the Ice
Again, I think it's unrealistic to expect any hostile action from North Korea at the Olympics. North Korea and the rest of the world (except maybe China) are in a dilemma where both sides are incentivized to talk big, but do nothing. If North Korea were to ever preemptively strike a small base, let alone the Olympics, they know they would be destroyed by the South Korean and US militaries in a matter of days. It would be a suicide mission. North Korea also knows that doing any strike -- again let alone on the Olympic games -- would almost certainly cause China to completely end their support for the regime and would absolutely destroy the country economically.

The same goes for the US, though, as any preemptive strike would result in immediate retaliation to South Korea and the many troops stationed there from around the world.

So long story short, there is a lot of noise and a lot of panic, but the actors in this game are stuck in a state of perpetual stalemate and chicken. I think the Olympics in Pyeongchang, Tokyo, and Beijing will almost certainly be safe.