2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
The Road to PyeongChang 2018

Which teams are you rooting for this season?

Enjoy our Pairs Olympic season preview trailer!

Last edited by a moderator:

LRK

Record Breaker
Epic! I'm always so excited to see one of these videos appear - and then watching them makes me even more excited for the season to come! Excellent work as always - thank you!

Eclair

Medalist
Love those videos, too! the Helsinki preview one was especially good! You should allow people to embed the video though. I wasn't going to click on that link before a realized that this is a video and not an article...

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thank you for the diversity of countries/teams in this clip. Some productions only feature athletes from the top 3/4 nations, but if I am not mistaken there are 8 nations represented in the montage...well done!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would like to hear from everyone on what they feel are positive qualities of the teams! :clapper:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for Sui/Han for their beautiful skating skills and all-around prowess.
Also Vanessa/Morgan for their power and drama.
Good luck to all, and stay uninjured please. :pray:

s_parks

Record Breaker
So exciting! Curious to see how everyone does this season.
T/M have beautiful SS and solid tech as we all know, but my heart hurts that moskvina is not their coach, especially as this is the olympic season. She could package them right in that classic style that suits this team and really make them special. Praying for their programs...
And rooting hard for S/H as always, can't wait to see them. Hope everyone stays injury free!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Haven't followed all these pairs closely, but my attempt at some of the positive qualities of each team

Vanessa and Morgan - great chemistry, creative and interesting programs

Meagan and Eric - super driven (especially Meagan), strong tech, their friendship and trust of each other, willingness to keep trying new things, also their new SP looks awesome so far

Aliona and Bruno - super driven (especially Aliona), I love how they're trying to bring an ice dance quality into their programs

Lubov and Dylan - amazing lift positions, she's so enthusiastic about representing Canada

Julianne and Charlie - so excited to see that Lorde program

Alexa and Chris - their relationship and trust of each other, how well they delivered without much training after Alexa's illness

Valentina and Ondrej - love the choice of two Italian pieces for their programs for the Olympics and with Worlds in Italy

Evgenia and Vladimir - strong technical skills

Ksenia and Fedor - persevered through a lot of injury issues, really interesting dynamic on the ice

Xiaoyu and Hao - gelled so quickly as a new team, beautiful classic look on the ice

Cheng and Yang - gelled so quickly as a new team, lots of personality especially in last year's short

Wenjing and Cong - great skating skills, came back so strong after her injury, interesting programs last season

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Valentina Marchei and Ondrej Hotarek- What I love about this pair is the unity of style they create even though they seem somewhat in juxtaposition to each other. Like using contrasting colors to make a more interesting design. You can just feel their unity of purpose. Valentina has such sass and fire (like her good friend Ashley Wagner!), and Ondrej somehow complements and completes those qualities, by being a dramatic presence. Like a bass voice provides support for a good soprano/melody. Their movements are sharp, precise ... and they really packed in the content for last year's FS, to great effect in the first minute.

Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot - In addition to their amazing technical talent, I feel that together they have a softer and more integrated approach to being a pair than I expected, especially from her. Last year's FS was a skate where one really felt their artistry and emotion emerging. I really want to see what comes next.

Cheng Peng and Yang Jin - I love their personality on the ice, which I didn't so much notice when they skated with other people. They bring out something special in each other. They can do romantic and soulful, and they do playful and humorous equally well. One thing I love about them is the way their throw jumps just seem to come out of nowhere. The preparation for their elements is so well integrated into the choreography, and so smoothly and speedily executed. The Chinese pairs do this so well, and it's Lori's choreography too, but it takes great technique and working together to execute it so seamlessly.

Alexa Knierim and Chris Knierim - Last year's programs (all newlywed music!) really brought out their connection on the ice. They don't always showcase that particular quality, so I'm really interested to see whether or not their musical choices and choreography will continue in that direction. And I can't go without mentioning their twist. Whether it's a triple or a quadruple, it's just divine, snappy and high. Plus, it looks like he just tosses her in the air like it comes out of nowhere!

Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc- It's their ice presence, and their unique look and style among current pairs that shows such potential. Their long, gorgeous lines match, they jump well and their technique is well planned to be harmonious. Love their SBS 3Loop and their 2A-1L-3S. The fact that they both really perform has them standing out in terms of US Pairs. They have a great connection on the ice. Now that they've been to Nina Mozer's camp, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they evolve going forward, since they made such huge strides last season. I know they weren't included in the preview's top pairs, but I think they could be a break-out pair (again!) this year.

Weathergal

Medalist
Valentina Marchei and Ondrej Hotarek- What I love about this pair is the unity of style they create even though they seem somewhat in juxtaposition to each other. Like using contrasting colors to make a more interesting design. You can just feel their unity of purpose. Valentina has such sass and fire (like her good friend Ashley Wagner!), and Ondrej somehow complements and completes those qualities, by being a dramatic presence. Like a bass voice provides support for a good soprano/melody. Their movements are sharp, precise ... and they really packed in the content for last year's FS, to great effect in the first minute.

Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot - In addition to their amazing technical talent, I feel that together they have a softer and more integrated approach to being a pair than I expected, especially from her. Last year's FS was a skate where one really felt their artistry and emotion emerging. I really want to see what comes next.

Cheng Peng and Yang Jin - I love their personality on the ice, which I didn't so much notice when they skated with other people. They bring out something special in each other. They can do romantic and soulful, and they do playful and humorous equally well. One thing I love about them is the way their throw jumps just seem to come out of nowhere. The preparation for their elements is so well integrated into the choreography, and so smoothly and speedily executed. The Chinese pairs do this so well, and it's Lori's choreography too, but it takes great technique and working together to execute it so seamlessly.

Alexa Knierim and Chris Knierim - Last year's programs (all newlywed music!) really brought out their connection on the ice. They don't always showcase that particular quality, so I'm really interested to see whether or not their musical choices and choreography will continue in that direction. And I can't go without mentioning their twist. Whether it's a triple or a quadruple, it's just divine, snappy and high. Plus, it looks like he just tosses her in the air like it comes out of nowhere!

Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc- It's their ice presence, and their unique look and style among current pairs that shows such potential. Their long, gorgeous lines match, they jump well and their technique is well planned to be harmonious. Love their SBS 3Loop and their 2A-1L-3S. The fact that they both really perform has them standing out in terms of US Pairs. They have a great connection on the ice. Now that they've been to Nina Mozer's camp, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they evolve going forward, since they made such huge strides last season. I know they weren't included in the preview's top pairs, but I think they could be a break-out pair (again!) this year.

Nice summary Skylark - and you mentioned pairs I'm really fond of. : ) I especially agree with you about Cain / LeDuc. I really love their look on the ice. I'm hoping for more success on the jumping front for them because I like that they're doing something different and challenging. I'm nervous and excited for them this season. I hope they can build on their great start!

QuadThrow

Medalist
I think it will be a battle between S/H and S/M. Both team will show stunning choreography and outscore the field in the PCS.

S/M will add the 4Tw. This will close the gap to the Chinese.

whatif

Medalist
I highly doubt any of the Russian teams will contend for the Olympic podium.

Gold is between S/M and S/H, with D/R fighting for 3rd place.

rccr25

Rinkside
The top teams probably all have a chance to be on the top podium, with S/M and S/H having the best chance. But go S/H!:luv17::yahoo:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice summary Skylark - and you mentioned pairs I'm really fond of. : ) I especially agree with you about Cain / LeDuc. I really love their look on the ice. I'm hoping for more success on the jumping front for them because I like that they're doing something different and challenging. I'm nervous and excited for them this season. I hope they can build on their great start!

:agree:

I suppose that because of their height difference being only about 6 inches or so, they're at a disadvantage on the throws and lifts, compared to the other teams. And that they're more at risk for injury because of it. Any thoughts?

One thing I love about them is that they keep to the classical lines in everything. They don't do any of the lift positions that gain big points but actually look either awkward or downright unattractive. That's giving up too much for the sake of difficulty and points, IMO. I feel the same way about that sit spin position with the girl's leg sticking up into the air. I saw a pair do this a couple days ago, and it looked good. But mostly, done with short-legged girls, it doesn't.

I actually think that the fact that so many people fell in love with Cain / LeDuc so quickly, and are watching and hoping for great strides and results for them this season, is related to that quality: their beauty and classical pairs look and ability. Their synchronicity, their matching lines, their attention to matching jump technique. And that they're both great performers.

f1nnstep

Rinkside
Hi All,

Do we know for sure that Volosozhar/Trankov will not come back? At some point there where some rumors that they were training but I assume those are passed now?

Personally I would like to see some greatness and classic harmony again in the Pairs event.

I was so delighted about James/Cipres in the Europeans but Worlds weren't as great. But if they continue the same progress they made last year there is material for some greatness.

Marchei/Hotarek did great in the worlds with two clean programs however still only 9th. However I always enjoy their style and joy. I hope they have made progress in the overall quality, speed and WOW-effect.

Tarasova/Morozov. They have all the goods to become great. I hope they would use some really proffs choreographer who could dig the greatness and glory out of them. They are technically so smooth but do miss the spirit and greatness on ice. I however believe in them a lot.

Savzhenko/Massot. There is something very contradictory in this pair. Bruno is a teddybear and Aliona is an angel. But I did like their programs last year and hope they are more polished and skating with equal lines more this year. There are definitely qualities to become great also together. If they cat train healthy I expect a lot from them.

Cong/Han. They are brilliant in their unique style and quality. This year we also saw some character to come out of them. I like them a lot and hope a healthy season for them however I would hope some of the earlier mentioned would seriously challenge them.

Stolbova/Klimov. You never know what to expect from them. In a best day they can win all of the above. I hope they come with extraordinary choreographs again and commit to each other and skating. Sometimes you see Ksenja going up and down and affecting the skating a lot.

Interesting season ahead.

LRK

Record Breaker
We don't know for absolutely sure about Volosozhar/Trankov - but their return is unlikely. They haven't finally closed the door on coming back - but I'd say it is only ever so slightly ajar.