2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

Sabine

On the Ice
There are 4 pairs missing: Koreans, Israeli, second German team and north Koreans.
I think they have said that the Korean pair will get starting number 1 in cause of not qualifying like the other teams.
World Ranking/ Olympics Grouping

Tarazova/Morozov
Savchenko/Massot
Duhamel/Radford
Zabijako/Enbert
((Stolbova/Klimov))
Sui/Han
James/Cipres

Marchei/Hotarek
Della Monica/Guarise
Yu/Shang
Seguin/Bilodeau
Knierims
Asthokova/Rogonov

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor
Ziegler/Kiefer
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Peng/Jin
Duskova/Bidar
Suto/Boudreau-Audet

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Suto/Boudreau-Audet can't actually go to the Olympics due to citizenship issues. Where does the Japanese pair actually going rank?

Andrea82

Medalist
Suto/Boudreau-Audet can't actually go to the Olympics due to citizenship issues. Where does the Japanese pair actually going rank?

In current World Standing Suzaki/Kihara are ahead of Hocke/Blommaert, Conners/Krasnopolski and Kim/Kam and below everyone else skating at Olympics. So in terms of starting grouping it won't change much compared to S/BA

They just set a PB at 4CCs (157.27) but it was still 21 points below the Aussies' and 27 points below the North Koreans' scores in Taipei. Hocke/Blommaert and Conners/Krasnopolski have better PBs (and they recently scored 170 and 163 at Euros). They can beat Kim/Kam. If S/K are clean and some of the teams just above them have messy performances, they can beat them. But, overall, they are unlikely to make the FS cut IMO

slider11

Medalist
I just finished watching the last 2 groups of the 2014 Olympics Pairs LP and I was struck by a few things. The 2 Russian teams had stellar performances and deserved 1-2. As sad as I was for Savchenko and Solkowy's bronze placement, I was struck with how spell-binding their performance was. I also was strongly taken with Canadian Moore-Towers and Moskovitch. They were also magical! Interestingly, both Aljona and Kirsten ditched their partners to pursue partners who would take them into longevity. In Aljona's case, it was for this 2018 Olympics and Massot and they have experienced some success. But it appears that Bruno may have some back issues that may prevent them from reaching gold and frankly I don't see the same level of excitement previously experienced with Robin. In Kirsten's case she could have had Dylan for this Olympic cycle as a partner but went for an 8 year longevity with Michael Marinaro. IMO, Kirsten and Dylan could have been the top Canadian pair and possibly have been a contender for the 2018 podium. It will be interesting to see how these 2018 Olympics go but I do not see the same "magic" with their new partners. I suppose "magic" can develop but I think the spark is either there or not.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I just finished watching the last 2 groups of the 2014 Olympics Pairs LP and I was struck by a few things. The 2 Russian teams had stellar performances and deserved 1-2. As sad as I was for Savchenko and Solkowy's bronze placement, I was struck with how spell-binding their performance was. I also was strongly taken with Canadian Moore-Towers and Moskovitch. They were also magical! Interestingly, both Aljona and Kirsten ditched their partners to pursue partners who would take them into longevity. In Aljona's case, it was for this 2018 Olympics and Massot and they have experienced some success. But it appears that Bruno may have some back issues that may prevent them from reaching gold and frankly I don't see the same level of excitement previously experienced with Robin. In Kirsten's case she could have had Dylan for this Olympic cycle as a partner but went for an 8 year longevity with Michael Marinaro. IMO, Kirsten and Dylan could have been the top Canadian pair and possibly have been a contender for the 2018 podium. It will be interesting to see how these 2018 Olympics go but I do not see the same "magic" with their new partners. I suppose "magic" can develop but I think the spark is either there or not.

I was pulling for Savchenko/Solkowy so hard at the 2014 Olympics. My heart broke with the 3A fall in the FS :sad21: But I do remember MT/M performing very well and I was surprised by their split. Looking back at the 2014 Olympics really shows how much can change in 4 years in this discipline!

bobbob

Medalist
So what do we think the start order will look like? Sui/Han in the final group? Given the judges penchant for "saving" higher scores for later, them being in the second to last group may not be good.

withwings

On the Ice

Exactly my thoughts re Kirsten and Dylan. They REALY had a magic and- without any doubts!- they would be medal contenders for 2018. There was something....unrepeatable and unique about Kirsten and Dylan. And yes, I did not like Dylan with Luba, and from the day #1. Thankful for all the great moments Kirsten and Dylan gave as a pair.
I hope Aliona will be happy even without a gold medal! Let all the pair have their magic in Pyeongchang; I wish them this from all my heart. Pair skating is a sport, art...everything! a quintessence of figure skating! and I do not see ice dance as a sport ( and never ever did, sorry...).

pearly

Record Breaker
According to Jackie Wong, James/Cipres are going back to Sound of Silence for their free.

THANK YOU James and Cipres, that program was a masterpiece. Happy to see it again.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oxford dictionary defines "sport" as:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Ice dance qualifies. Just saying.
There's no doubt that pairs is more dangerous though.

slider11

Medalist
According to Jackie Wong, James/Cipres are going back to Sound of Silence for their free.

THANK YOU James and Cipres, that program was a masterpiece. Happy to see it again.

This is exciting; I am really looking forward to pairs. I think Sui/Han; Savchenko/Massot and Tarasova/Morozov have the strongest podium chances. But James/Cipres definitely are in the wings.

slider11

Medalist
Exactly my thoughts re Kirsten and Dylan. They REALY had a magic and- without any doubts!- they would be medal contenders for 2018. There was something....unrepeatable and unique about Kirsten and Dylan. And yes, I did not like Dylan with Luba, and from the day #1. Thankful for all the great moments Kirsten and Dylan gave as a pair.
I hope Aliona will be happy even without a gold medal! Let all the pair have their magic in Pyeongchang; I wish them this from all my heart. Pair skating is a sport, art...everything! a quintessence of figure skating! and I do not see ice dance as a sport ( and never ever did, sorry...).

I was warming to Dylan and Luba - particularly last year's SP tango. But Luba's SBS jumps were disastrous and Dylan must have been badly hurt to have such a poor showing in his Nationals and 4CCs (rumored concussion). It just shows that you can't count on longevity to get you where you want to go; if the magic is there make it count NOW! I cannot embrace Kirsten and Michael. At least I don't cringe anymore when he lifts her but there is not the same charisma. I doubt another 4 years is going to change that. I hope Luba and Dylan make it to Worlds (I presume Dahamel and Radford will call it quits after Olys) and have one last chance to redeem their competitive career.

QuadThrow

Medalist

Quite crazy how many medal worth athletes return or keep old programs.

S/M SP
D/R FP
J/C FP

The programs I want to have changed most (T/M FP, S/H FP) will stay.;(

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
World standing makes no sense to me...
Like, why are Z/E in front of S/H for world standing? Yes, S/H missed a bunch because of her injuries, but not enough to put Z/E ahead of them, right? and shouldn't WS really be most affected by the current season? why do we even include other seasons?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I didn't think Aliona ditched Robin, it was just that he didn't want to continue in eligible skating and she did. If he had been willing I think she would have stayed with him, but he wanted to go "pro."

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
World standing makes no sense to me...
Like, why are Z/E in front of S/H for world standing? Yes, S/H missed a bunch because of her injuries, but not enough to put Z/E ahead of them, right? and shouldn't WS really be most affected by the current season? why do we even include other seasons?

The big difference is that S/H haven't done any CS events in the last three seasons. That's a whole lot of points left on the table. Also, S/H don't get any points from winning 4CC last season because you can only count one set of Championship points.

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't know. Depends on when they started doing runthroughs. Perhaps they've been doing it all season once or twice per week, who knows.

yqs100

On the Ice
Quite crazy how many medal worth athletes return or keep old programs.

S/M SP
D/R FP
J/C FP

The programs I want to have changed most (T/M FP, S/H FP) will stay.;(

Wow. This is what you called innovation recycle last years program:disagree: