2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow. This is what you called innovation recycle last years program:disagree:

Well, all of these pairs skated new programs this season, that didn't work out for whatever reason, so they went back to something they felt more positive about. I don't fault any of them for that in the Olympic season for this important competition. Many more skaters recycle from the get-go which is worse, imho.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Well, all of these pairs skated new programs this season, that didn't work out for whatever reason, so they went back to something they felt more positive about. I don't fault any of them for that in the Olympic season for this important competition. Many more skaters recycle from the get-go which is worse, imho.

Except for D/R, but it was probably to give him as much time as possible to heal his injury.

slider11

Medalist
I didn't think Aliona ditched Robin, it was just that he didn't want to continue in eligible skating and she did. If he had been willing I think she would have stayed with him, but he wanted to go "pro."

Ok, maybe "ditched" is strong. But Aliona wanted gold and was willing to take a chance with a new partner and achieve this in 4 years. Big risk! There are so many good opportunties for skaters in Europe and Asia to skate professionally that I was surprised that she didn't want to continue her partnership with Robin and cash in on that. I get that her competitive juices were still strong but I just don't see the same magic with Bruno. Nice guy, big and strong. But Aliona is the star and this is pairs not singles. It is just so hard to gel 2 skaters into a technically superior and artistically excellent pair. I wish them well at the Olympics; maybe I'll eat my words and she'll get her gold!

withwings

On the Ice
I cannot embrace Kirsten and Michael. At least I don't cringe anymore when he lifts her but there is not the same charisma. I doubt another 4 years is going to change that.

Unfortunately, a decision making not always ( if ever) is fruitful one, if done by a naked reason only. It hurts and a lot, and not only a decision maker but everyone involved in that process. Anyway, now...what else? a good luck all of them. Certainly, they did the best they could, each of them.

Who knows, perhaps Kirsten one day will be a coach, and this experience might her best- and invaluable- asset then... (if processed in a right spirit).

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So what do we think the start order will look like? Sui/Han in the final group? Given the judges penchant for "saving" higher scores for later, them being in the second to last group may not be good.

S/H are not top 4 in the world standings so will not skate in the last group. Zabijako and Enbert will skate there instead. Its crazy but like its been stated the World Standing point system is very flawed.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Ok, maybe "ditched" is strong. But Aliona wanted gold and was willing to take a chance with a new partner and achieve this in 4 years. Big risk! There are so many good opportunties for skaters in Europe and Asia to skate professionally that I was surprised that she didn't want to continue her partnership with Robin and cash in on that. I get that her competitive juices were still strong but I just don't see the same magic with Bruno. Nice guy, big and strong. But Aliona is the star and this is pairs not singles. It is just so hard to gel 2 skaters into a technically superior and artistically excellent pair. I wish them well at the Olympics; maybe I'll eat my words and she'll get her gold!

Aljona is the star. No doubt about about that. She would be the star in every partnership except with Maxim Trankov (would have been a partnership with more than enough fire).

But I have never thought that I will say this: Her performances with Bruno are partially better than there were with Robin. More precision in everything, more flow, more emotion and better lifts and spins. Bruno is not that tender. That is true.

LadyB

Record Breaker
They are still waiting for the decision for the ad hoc appeal. Nothing is set in stone yet.

lavoix, you've no idea how much I wished you were right. According to Nina Mozer, they're not coming no matter what, which would tie in with Ksenia celebrating her birthday in New York and the final team sheet being submitted by the Russian Fed. (Even) stranger things have happened, but...

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1059968015.html

Well, depending how CAS decides, Ksenia and Ivan could still clear their names. It would be a consolation of some sort.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Stolbova is currently in NYC? Their chance for the Team Event participation is virtually gone, but still until the pair event, one week is left.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Stolbova is currently in NYC? Their chance for the Team Event participation is virtually gone, but still until the pair event, one week is left.

Google translation of the link I've posted earlier:

Coach Nina Moser said that Russian figure skater Xenia Stolbova will not perform at the Olympics in Pyeongchang, even if she receives admission.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) did not send Stolbova an invitation to the 2018 Olympics. The skater appealed this decision to the Federal Court of Switzerland.

"Ksenia's birthday today, she wrote congratulations. You will not suffer every day, we can not change the situation. It is clear that there will be no decisions (in the CAS and other courts).

The Russian Olympic Committee (OCD) is engaged in this, but the fact is that Ksenia and Fedor immediately told the federation that, even if they were admitted at the last moment, they would not go to the Olympics. Because they are not ready to go to the start after this humiliated state, through which they passed,
"Moser said.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Google translation of the link I've posted earlier:

Coach Nina Moser said that Russian figure skater Xenia Stolbova will not perform at the Olympics in Pyeongchang, even if she receives admission.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) did not send Stolbova an invitation to the 2018 Olympics. The skater appealed this decision to the Federal Court of Switzerland.

"Ksenia's birthday today, she wrote congratulations. You will not suffer every day, we can not change the situation. It is clear that there will be no decisions (in the CAS and other courts).

The Russian Olympic Committee (OCD) is engaged in this, but the fact is that Ksenia and Fedor immediately told the federation that, even if they were admitted at the last moment, they would not go to the Olympics. Because they are not ready to go to the start after this humiliated state, through which they passed,
"Moser said.

:( Can we see them at Milan Worlds?

LadyB

Record Breaker
:( Can we see them at Milan Worlds?

I very much hope so!!! I'm usually fairly realistic, but this time I'm still clinging on to the smallest straw. Say, Russia doesn't play Astakhova/Rogonov in the team event (quite likely) and Ksenia gets the all clear, could they still pretend that someone twisted their arms and they turn up next week anyway? Or are the names on the Russian delegation's list binding the minute the Games have been officially opened? I really wonder about any loopholes they could exploit. I know, it's probably extremely silly.
I do respect Nina Mozer a lot as a coach and I think she's an alright person, but she doesn't always tell the media what she knows and what's really going on, which is fair enough. So, maybe she's only playing the card of 'this is it'. Ah, don't mind me, I'm just losing my mind over this. :hopelessness:

lavoix

Match Penalty
I very much hope so!!! I'm usually fairly realistic, but this time I'm still clinging on to the smallest straw. Say, Russia doesn't play Astakhova/Rogonov in the team event (quite likely) and Ksenia gets the all clear, could they still pretend that someone twisted their arms and they turn up next week anyway? Or are the names on the Russian delegation's list binding the minute the Games have been officially opened? I really wonder about any loopholes they could exploit. I know, it's probably extremely silly.
I do respect Nina Mozer a lot as a coach and I think she's an alright person, but she doesn't always tell the media what she knows and what's really going on, which is fair enough. So, maybe she's only playing the card of 'this is it'. Ah, don't mind me, I'm just losing my mind over this. :hopelessness:

Why ruin it for Ashtakhova/Rogonov? It is unfair that Stolbova will not be at the Olympics, however, this was humiliating and Stolbova has just accepted that she will not go to the Olympics.

Mozer said they are training for the world championships.

bobbob

Medalist
Are Aliona and Bruno doing a 3ATh. They are practicing the 2Ath in practice and not the 3STh...