Music! | Golden Skate

Music!

skater226

Rinkside
Hi! Im trying out for an ice show where everyone makes it and usually you can pick a more up beat music for your audition. I'm doing waltz jumps sals and toe loops. I'm also doing sit spin and scratch spin. My coach said not to pick anything to fast because I won't be able to skate to it. Thoughts on these music choices? Which ones are to fast? Opinion?

My way - Calvin Harris
This girl
Riptide
Prayer in the c
Too close
Lay it all on me
Slow hands

loopy

Final Flight
I'm not sure I know any of those, but I suggest, choose the one you feel the most expressive with and don't mind listening to over and over. Nothing is nicer than watching a skater love their routine and music. If it was a show like Cat in the Hat, I'd choose music that highlights that you as the character you want (more broadwayish).

Have you run these music ideas by your coach? Can you ask them for music you haven't considered?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! Im trying out for an ice show where everyone makes it and usually you can pick a more up beat music for your audition. I'm doing waltz jumps sals and toe loops. I'm also doing sit spin and scratch spin. My coach said not to pick anything to fast because I won't be able to skate to it. Thoughts on these music choices? Which ones are to fast? Opinion?

My way - Calvin Harris
This girl
Riptide
Prayer in the c
Too close
Lay it all on me
Slow hands

The only two that might work are Riptide and Lay it all on me (if that's vance joy too). The others are either too fast, too inappropriate, etc...

dreamsk8

On the Ice
If that is the Lay it all on my by Rudimental feat Ed Sheeran That's a good song :agree2: I would definitely pick a song you won't get sick of hearing every time you practice. Personally I can't stand Riptide all I think of is the creepy music video :eeking:
Best Of Luck !! :hap10:

bookworm94

Rinkside
I think this should be your own choice and not ours. Maybe you can play the songs at the rink and stake to them to find out which one you feel most comfortable with. :) Because imo that's the most important thing.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Perhaps talk to your coach to find out what pace she'd like - ask her for an example song, that's at the right pace. Then find others that are around that same pace. For example, if Riptide is the right pace according to your coach, that's the pace you want to look at. Nothing faster.

But you also want the music to have some dynamics - some ups and some downs. Nothing too flat.

And listen to the words or look the lyrics up online - if the singer says words that you wouldn't want your grandma to hear, you can't use that song, or it will have to be edited before you do. Likewise, subject matter. If the song is all about sex like Slow Hands is, is that really something you want to skate to? In front of JUDGES?

You can talk to your coach about how the music might be edited down to the right time.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Make sure you also don't pick a song that is too slow or monotonous. Only really fast (and skillfully expressive) skaters can skate to slow music without losing the audience's attention.