Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Thread: I, Tonya

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaPat View Post
    I think things have changed quite a bit since Tonya's time. I think people would be much more likely to call CPS today in a situation like Tonya's.
    Arn't some coaches "mandatory reporters" these days?

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchMonkey View Post
    This is a good question. When I was teaching during the 90's, we were required to report on anything we found suspicious. Some of these Parents saw Tonya's Mom smack her, cuss, and treat people badly. If that happened today, I'm sure Tonya's mother would have been banned from the association and possibly jailed.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    It seems skating was more important than not being abused.
    Shocking, isn't it? You could actually call that abuse on the part of the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Inessence View Post
    In Tonya's book she was friendly with Liz Manley. Liz noticed Tonya wasn't right during a tour they were on together and she confided in her.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know any more details, like what year that was?

However, recently on Twitter Liz complaining to DWTS that they're having Tonya on the show.
    That's weird. It's not like Tonya is appearing on the Canadian DWTS, if there is such a thing.

In Tonya's book, she was coaching at the same rink with Diane in the late 90s-early '00s.
    Really? I thought Tonya's coaching was almost nonexistent.

Tonya's only said kind things about her in interviews, but always from growing up and back in her training days and she never mentions the present.
    It would be interesting to know how they feel about each other these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NanaPat View Post
    I think things have changed quite a bit since Tonya's time. I think people would be much more likely to call CPS today in a situation like Tonya's.
    That's good to know. Of course, it is possible to have a knee-jerk reaction to things, which isn't helpful. But in Tonya's situation, the abuse was chronic, so calling CPS probably would've been for the better. And even if she didn't keep skating, so what? Your mental/emotional health is always more important than a sport, no matter how talented you may be.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Fenway3, I think it was Champions on Ice in the early 90s.

Tonya coached for awhile before “The Hubcap” Incident. She talks a lot about it in The Tonya Tapes.

#WeAllWeGot#WeAllWeNeed el henry's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Coaches are mandatory reporters in Pennsylvania, but our law is super strict.

Due to the behavior of a coach (about the coach, not the amendment of the statute.)

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inessence View Post
    Fenway3, I think it was Champions on Ice in the early 90s.
    OK, thanks, Inessence.

Tonya coached for awhile before “The Hubcap” Incident. She talks a lot about it in The Tonya Tapes.
    I didn't realize that. So the "hubcap" incident spoiled her coaching career?

Incidentally, around 10 years ago, I remember Tonya saying that she had forgiven her mother. Was that in The Tonya Tapes? Anyway, now she's saying the opposite, so it's all pretty confusing.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    She forgave her dad before he passed away from a heart attack years ago. I don't think she's ever forgiven her mother. The book said it was the long commute from wherever she was living to Lloyd center at the time, and a foot injury that she did have surgery for that ended her coaching career (lower level isi students). One of the girls quit skating to run track instead ( I believe she was the daughter of a track star). She now skates at mountain view , and can still do doubles at 47. I am looking forward to seeing her on dancing ( I would love an all-skater final 3 , I do think Adam will probably win). I'm not sure what happened with Liz- Tonya isn't taking her spot ( I assume there is a Canadian version but not sure). Its only a 4 week season so I don't see too many group numbers anyway. I am sure Tonya did some group numbers in her career despite people saying otherwise. Most club shows have a lot of group numbers with a handful of solos.

I do wish Rawlinson would talk though. Tonya does seem to be on good terms with Teachman though. After Golden's inside edition interview, there were comments by people claiming to be Tonya's brother and sister in law who seemed to think Tonya was doing the right thing by keeping LaVona away from Tonya's son. Apparently LaVona signed over this brother (and another brother) to cps so she could concentrate on Tonya. I think LaVona also lost Tonya's sister Gina to cps as well partly due to what Gina's job was (read the book).

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmk View Post
    She forgave her dad before he passed away from a heart attack years ago.
    What exactly did she forgive him for?

I don't think she's ever forgiven her mother.
    Maybe it was during the Oprah interview, but I do recall seeing a clip of her saying that she forgave her mother. But she's not saying that now.

The book said it was the long commute from wherever she was living to Lloyd center at the time, and a foot injury that she did have surgery for that ended her coaching career (lower level isi students). One of the girls quit skating to run track instead ( I believe she was the daughter of a track star).
    Thanks for all the info.

I'm not sure what happened with Liz- Tonya isn't taking her spot
    It almost makes you wonder if she (as well as Elaine Zayak, who complained about Tonya a few months ago) is jealous of all the attention Tonya's been getting lately.

I do wish Rawlinson would talk though. Tonya does seem to be on good terms with Teachman though.
    That's pretty ironic, considering she dumped Teachman to be with Rawlinson.

After Golden's inside edition interview, there were comments by people claiming to be Tonya's brother and sister in law who seemed to think Tonya was doing the right thing by keeping LaVona away from Tonya's son. Apparently LaVona signed over this brother (and another brother) to cps so she could concentrate on Tonya. I think LaVona also lost Tonya's sister Gina to cps as well partly due to what Gina's job was (read the book).
    I did a brief search on the book using the "browse" feature at Amazon, and yes, Tonya confirms that her mother had 3 boys and 2 girls. This is the first time I've ever heard that—I had previously only heard of Tonya's deceased half-brother. Where exactly did you see these comments after the IE interview? Were they televised?

So, she dumps some of Tonya's siblings (lucky them) to "concentrate" on Tonya. Well, I always believed Golden was a monster, but now it seems she's even a bigger monster than I thought. What a nightmare it must've been to have a "mother" like her.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43