I, Tonya | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

whatif

Medalist
The previous thread was removed. So I am starting the new one.
I,Tonya had its world premier at Toronto Film Festival last night.......And it is a big hit. All reviews are raving the film and two lead performances by Margot Robbie and Allison Janney.
Selection of reviews here:
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/i-tonya-review-margot-robbie-1202552743/
http://www.thewrap.com/tonya-margot-robbie-dazzles-white-trash-olympian-allison-janney-takes-gold/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/i-tonya-review-1037074
http://collider.com/i-tonya-review/...ff-2017-i-tonya-on-chesil-beach-the-lodgers-1

Big awards buzz for Janney and here is a little know fact about Janney's figure skating stint in early teens.
http://www.latimes.com/94559885-132.html

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The previous thread was removed. So I am starting the new one. ...

I believe you are referring to the previous thread that was *archived*.

It was not "removed."

(Lest anyone wonder: I have no prob with a new one. Just wanting to correct a misimpression about the old one.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember a thread some years ago about "celebrity" skaters and I posted about Allison Janney.

I have not clicked on the link, so I don't know if it says the same thing, but I remember she said said earlier that she loved to skate and loved to spin, but at "5'12"" (as she referred to her height), "competitive" jumps were not in the cards.

Having lived through Nancy/Tonya, originally I wasn't interested, but Allison Janney:clap: Maybe?

brightphoton

Medalist
How do films at film festivals work? I remember there's a rule at the fancy French one that any film that premieres there can only be sold in France, or something.

Am I going to be able to go to Best Buy and purchase a DVD of I, Tonya in a month or so?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do films at film festivals work? I remember there's a rule at the fancy French one that any film that premieres there can only be sold in France, or something.

Am I going to be able to go to Best Buy and purchase a DVD of I, Tonya in a month or so?

Doubtful. Films that are shown at festivals are looking for distribution deals. Most of those are still for theatrical distribution, then streaming and DVDs.

This could be straight to DVD, but given the publicity, I'd say they are looking for theatrical release. Just a guess, no inside knowledge....

whatif

Medalist
Doubtful. Films that are shown at festivals are looking for distribution deals. Most of those are still for theatrical distribution, then streaming and DVDs.

This could be straight to DVD, but given the publicity, I'd say they are looking for theatrical release. Just a guess, no inside knowledge....

That is correct, No distributor announced yet. But given the reactions i am sure they will do a qualifying run this year for the awards season.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don't really know how I feel about this. I know both of Tonya's coaches and they are both kind, lovely people. I am afraid the film will portray them negatively or in a sensationalized way.

It was a sad situation- I saw Tonya skate several months ago at a public session and while she is clearly out of shape and long past her prime as a skater she is fast and powerful and an insanely fast spinner and huge jumper. You could tell even then she had been born to skate.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I don't really know how I feel about this. I know both of Tonya's coaches and they are both kind, lovely people. I am afraid the film will portray them negatively or in a sensationalized way.

It was a sad situation- I saw Tonya skate several months ago at a public session and while she is clearly out of shape and long past her prime as a skater she is fast and powerful and an insanely fast spinner and huge jumper. You could tell even then she had been born to skate.

I have heard some insiders talk about this film and apparently it is pretty positive and sympathetic for everyone involved apart from Jeff, Tonya's mom, and unnamed judges from early in her career that disliked her from the beginning. Tonya herself was consulted for some aspects of the film and apparently had nothing but positive things to say about Diane and Dody.

Not really surprising, given that both Diane and Dody speak highly of Tonya as an athlete despite all her faults.

I have heard great things about this film and the reviews are really fantastic. I read two particularly glowing ones from Variety and Vanity Fair.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I have heard some insiders talk about this film and apparently it is pretty positive and sympathetic for everyone involved apart from Jeff, Tonya's mom, and unnamed judges from early in her career that disliked her from the beginning. Tonya herself was consulted for some aspects of the film and apparently had nothing but positive things to say about Diane and Dody.

Not really surprising, given that both Diane and Dody speak highly of Tonya as an athlete despite all her faults.

I have heard great things about this film and the reviews are really fantastic. I read two particularly glowing ones from Variety and Vanity Fair.

I am glad to hear that, thanks!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I remember not too long ago reading that Diane refuses to talk about Tonya to any member of the press or public. I think she really feels protective of Tonya, and that's good to see.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree....There's absolutely no way that a movie starring Margot Robbie and Allison Janney will go straight to DVD sales. The scenes that I have seen on line are actually quite good and Margot did a really nice job of turning herself into Tonya. Allison Janney is an Emmy Award winning actress and that alone gives this movie some clout.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went last night. Enjoyed it alot, felt it could've been a few minutes shorter.

Robbie is good at showing Tonyas tough side as well as vulnerability. Janney really steals the movie though.

The skating is obviously CGI. Robbie said she did train for about 5 months to skate but obviously can't do a 3A.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I'm excited about this movie too, but I just wonder what Kerrigan and her family think about it. Have they said anything to the press?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm excited about this movie too, but I just wonder what Kerrigan and her family think about it. Have they said anything to the press?

There was some video footage of a paparazzi or like reporter following Nancy at LAX and asking her to make a statement about it early on in production. Nancy just kept saying it's not about her and didn't want to say anything more while walking away.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There was some video footage of a paparazzi or like reporter following Nancy at LAX and asking her to make a statement about it early on in production. Nancy just kept saying it's not about her and didn't want to say anything more while walking away.

Yes, I remember that. She also said something like....."I've already lived that movie. I don't want to see it." Frankly, who could blame her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
McKenna Grace and Sebastian Stan are also in the film. Not a fan of the idea of watching a feature length film creating Tonya the martyr... but I adore Seb and McKenna (and Allison!)... I'm torn.