I, Tonya | Page 11 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had to actually Google what that publication was! But yeah, Armond is knowledgeable about cinemas, but let's say he's no longer taken seriously among the *ahem* more elite critics. I remember when he gave the first (and one of the very few) negative reviews for Get Out earlier this year, saying it was a "Kill Whitey" movie that's racist to Caucasians, or something ...

- - - Updated - - -

New profile in Portland Monthly, her home town's publication! It's extensive and well-written.

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles...g-is-back-on-the-ice-and-on-the-silver-screen

Well, was it? I've never heard of the movie.

Of course, I'm not in tune with much of modern day culture.

I prefer listening to the oldies and watching classic movies, although I've recently discovered how much better overseas television programs are to those produced by our substandard TV networks.

After a while, you don't mind the sub-titles.

I sometimes catch a few National Review articles if they're brought to my attention. It's a predominantly Conservative publication, isn't it? Some of the ideas in their articles and editorials I endorse, others I don't. But I agree they're not at the top of my list for movie reviews.

Bcash

Final Flight
Well, was it? I've never heard of the movie.

Of course, I'm not in tune with much of modern day culture.

I prefer listening to the oldies and watching classic movies, although I've recently discovered how much better overseas television programs are to those produced by our substandard TV networks.

After a while, you don't mind the sub-titles.

I sometimes catch a few National Review articles if they're brought to my attention. It's a predominantly Conservative publication, isn't it? Some of the ideas in their articles and editorials I endorse, others I don't. But I agree they're not at the top of my list for movie reviews.

It's on its way to a very likely Oscar Best Picture win, topping critics' year end lists everywhere. Though I personally did not love it.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It's on its way to a very likely Oscar Best Picture win, topping critics' year end lists everywhere. Though I personally did not love it.

I do think Get Out is a slight favorite as well. Things will be clearer once the industry awards (SAG, PGA, DGA, etc.), BAFTA, and the Golden Globes pick their winners. Right now, Call Me By Your Name; Get Out; Lady Bird; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; and The Shape of Water have been racking up the most prizes leaving the Best Picture race more open than the past few years. Dunkirk and The Post may also sneak in as well.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I do think Get Out is a slight favorite as well. Things will be clearer once the industry awards (SAG, PGA, DGA, etc.), BAFTA, and the Golden Globes pick their winners. Right now, Call Me By Your Name; Get Out; Lady Bird; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; and The Shape of Water have been racking up the most prizes leaving the Best Picture race more open than the past few years. Dunkirk and The Post may also sneak in as well.

Remember, there can be up to 10 nominations for Best Picture. And the voting is no longer straightforward. There's a preferential ranking that plays a big part. Something can be ranked #2 or #4 on a great many of the voters' lists and garner enough points to sneak in a nomination. It's the CoP of Awards anymore!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You'll have to let me know if any are worth watching. I hadn't realized how completely I had tuned out Hollywood.

I've not seen a single movie you've listed, and really the only ones I've heard much about are Dunkirk and The Post, the latter of which is the subject of a #SheKnew campaign aimed at Meryl Streep, who has apparently been a close friend of Weinstein over the years. I understand the Hollywood gossips' tongues have been wagging.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Remember, there can be up to 10 nominations for Best Picture. And the voting is no longer straightforward. There's a preferential ranking that plays a big part. Something can be ranked #2 or #4 on a great many of the voters' lists and garner enough points to sneak in a nomination. It's the CoP of Awards anymore!

Oh I remember. I think that's how Moonlight ended up winning over La La Land for Best Picture despite LLL winning most of the awards that year. BP being the only category voted on by that ranking system. It totally reminds me of the old majority system of 6.0.

You'll have to let me know if any are worth watching. I hadn't realized how completely I had tuned out Hollywood.

I've not seen a single movie you've listed, and really the only ones I've heard much about are Dunkirk and The Post, the latter of which is the subject of a #SheKnew campaign aimed at Meryl Streep, who has apparently been a close friend of Weinstein over the years. I understand the Hollywood gossips' tongues have been wagging.

So far, I've only seen Lady Bird which I absolutely loved. I can get into more detail later or in another related thread. I'm planning to see more movies over the holidays. I created a thread on another forum that is keeping track of all the various critics' awards out there.

BTW, Meryl Streep posted a letter in response to Rose McGowan's allegations that she knew. Some suspect some are exploiting McGowan's real pain and targeting Meryl because she's in the midst of Oscar season compared to everyone they could focus their ire on for the same thing (like Brad Pitt who defended Paltrow but continued to make movies that were distributed by Weinstein or Tarantino or Daniel Day Lewis or Judi Dench). It wouldn't be the first time studios may have started these sorts of campaigns against rival studio's Oscar contenders. I also suspect there's an agenda for going after Meryl and other outspoken celebrities of a particular political bent as well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh I remember. I think that's how Moonlight ended up winning over La La Land for Best Picture despite LLL winning most of the awards that year. BP being the only category voted on by that ranking system. It totally reminds me of the old majority system of 6.0.

So far, I've only seen Lady Bird which I absolutely loved. I can get into more detail later or in another related thread. I'm planning to see more movies over the holidays. I created a thread on another forum that is keeping track of all the various critics' awards out there.

BTW, Meryl Streep posted a letter in response to Rose McGowan's allegations that she knew. Some suspect some are exploiting McGowan's real pain and targeting Meryl because she's in the midst of Oscar season compared to everyone they could focus their ire on for the same thing (like Brad Pitt who defended Paltrow but continued to make movies that were distributed by Weinstein or Tarantino or Daniel Day Lewis or Judi Dench). It wouldn't be the first time studios may have started these sorts of campaigns against rival studio's Oscar contenders. I also suspect there's an agenda for going after Meryl and other outspoken celebrities of a particular political bent as well.

I tried to watch La La Land on HBO. I couldn't finish it. Not my kind of flick.

I don't know a lot about the Weinstein issue, but of course I find it troubling. Didn't Daniel Day Lewis, one of the few actors I consistently found outstanding, retire from movies? I admit I have wondered if it had anything to do with what he had seen/heard. He struck me as an honorable person.

Rose McGowen is like a beast unleashed. I can only imagine the pain and what it has cost her emotionally to bottle it up for these years. As far as I know, she's not a conservative, so going so strongly after Streep doesn't seem like it would have a political motive. And I don't think she's a rival studio's lackey either.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

I don't know a lot about the Weinstein issue, but of course I find it troubling. Didn't Daniel Day Lewis, one of the few actors I consistently found outstanding, retire from movies? I admit I have wondered if it had anything to do with what he had seen/heard. He struck me as an honorable person.

Rose McGowen is like a beast unleashed. I can only imagine the pain and what it has cost her emotionally to bottle it up for these years. As far as I know, she's not a conservative, so going so strongly after Streep doesn't seem like it would have a political motive. And I don't think she's a rival studio's lackey either.

Not Rose McGowan herself, but people using Rose's anger as a way to continue a campaign against Meryl and other celebrities. A conservative artist took credit for the #SheKnew campaign against Meryl Streep as revenge for Trump:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...she-knew-harvey-weinstein-posters-sabo-artist

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...eep-sheknew-posters-inspired-trump/972532001/

Here's Meryl's letter to Rose McGowan: http://www.awardsdaily.com/2017/12/...mcgowan-wasnt-deliberately-silent-didnt-know/

As for Daniel Day Lewis, he has a new movie coming out called The Phantom Thread directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. It looks really good. He says he's retiring but didn't state anything about Harvey Weinstein being the reason. Actors come out of retirement all of the time. The point with bringing up DDL is that the Meryl Streep criticism is coming off as very selective and targeted. DDL was quoted saying that Weinstein was "a disaster of a person" which can make some wonder just how much he knew. It was an old quote and some are asking how come nobody is ragging on him for knowing that Weinstein was a disaster of a person and yet still did movies that were distributed by Weinstein for decades afterwards. It might go to Streep's point that a lot of the movies they performed in did not involve Weinstein until much later during distribution after the film finished shooting.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not Rose McGowan herself, but people using Rose's anger as a way to continue a campaign against Meryl and other celebrities. A conservative artist took credit for the #SheKnew campaign against Meryl Streep as revenge for Trump:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...she-knew-harvey-weinstein-posters-sabo-artist

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...eep-sheknew-posters-inspired-trump/972532001/

Here's Meryl's letter to Rose McGowan: http://www.awardsdaily.com/2017/12/...mcgowan-wasnt-deliberately-silent-didnt-know/

As for Daniel Day Lewis, he has a new movie coming out called The Phantom Thread directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. It looks really good. He says he's retiring but didn't state anything about Harvey Weinstein being the reason. Actors come out of retirement all of the time. The point with bringing up DDL is that the Meryl Streep criticism is coming off as very selective and targeted. DDL was quoted saying that Weinstein was "a disaster of a person" which can make some wonder just how much he knew. It was an old quote and some are asking how come nobody is ragging on him for knowing that Weinstein was a disaster of a person and yet still did movies that were distributed by Weinstein for decades afterwards. It might go to Streep's point that a lot of the movies they performed in did not involve Weinstein until much later during distribution after the film finished shooting.

Interesting. I have such a strong aversion to sexual abuse and sexism in general that I make a concerted effort to avoid supporting any that are/were involved in it. Maybe I'll just continue to avoid movies until the dust settles. One of the good things about the recent US tax law is that it removes abuse payouts as a legitimate deduction for businesses. The next goal is to make sure that taxpayer dollars are not involved in hush settlements, and I want those politicians (no matter what their politics) who have already used taxpayer $$$ to pay it back.

I'm a man, but I have a wife I had a mother. Both worked outside the home. This issue matters, and not just to women.

I don't know if Streep was involved or if she knew. If so, I hope she is soon shunned. And all the rest, too.

brightphoton

Medalist
Daniel Day Lewis is like Jeremy Abbott. He likes to retire, then un-retire, then retire, then un-retire, then retire, then un-retire, then retire .... and so on.

In 1989, Day-Lewis quit stage acting....

After filming 1997’s Jim Sheridan drama The Boxer, Day-Lewis went off-the-grid for a five-year period ....

Five years later, Day-Lewis re-emerged to begin work on Martin Scorsese’s 2002 drama The Gangs of New York. After filming, though, Day-Lewis retreated again.

A decade later, in 2013—shortly after winning an Oscar for Lincoln—the London Sunday Times reported that Day-Lewis was again planning an acting break.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/06/daniel-day-lewis-acting-hollywood

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Daniel Day Lewis retires almost as much as The Rolling Stones give Farewell Tours. One of these "retirements" resulted in him becoming a trained cobler. So at least he spends his "retirement years" learning new and remunerative skills!

kenboy123

On the Ice
????...

How did a thread about I,Tonya become a sexual abuse in Hollywood chat???...this thread has pretty much derailed now...

Back to I,Tonya...has anyone actually seen this film and is it even good???...all i know is that the acting performances of Janney and Robbie are gaining award season's notice...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
????...

How did a thread about I,Tonya become a sexual abuse in Hollywood chat???...this thread has pretty much derailed now...

Back to I,Tonya...has anyone actually seen this film and is it even good???...all i know is that the acting performances of Janney and Robbie are gaining award season's notice...

Point conceded, but barring breaking news on the movie, 15 pages of background is pretty deep.

Maybe someone will chime in with links to new articles or clips.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I liked the movie. Just a warning, there is not a lot of actual skating, but the way they recreated some famous televised moment like Harding’s last Olympic skate was surreal. It was also quite funny, and Robbie in particular was very good (if a bit hokey at times). They made you feel devastated at certain points for Harding, which I think is quite an accomplishment in a film that overall doesn’t make her look very good.

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
I liked the movie. Just a warning, there is not a lot of actual skating, but the way they recreated some famous televised moment like Harding’s last Olympic skate was surreal. It was also quite funny, and Robbie in particular was very good (if a bit hokey at times). They made you feel devastated at certain points for Harding, which I think is quite an accomplishment in a film that overall doesn’t make her look very good.

I haven't seen the film yet. My niece saw a poster for it at the local theater, so it's coming soon. It seems that a lot of skating fans-- and many within the skating community itself-- think the film is too pro-Tonya. But then I've also seen reviews like yours that describe the film as not making Tonya look good.

meem

On the Ice
Loathed Harding once I knew what she had done but even before that, I never cared for her skating (OTT telegraphed jumps, grimaces throughout programs, etc). Guess I'll wait to watch it on TV.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Loathed Harding once I knew what she had done but even before that, I never cared for her skating (OTT telegraphed jumps, grimaces throughout programs, etc). Guess I'll wait to watch it on TV.

You know, I think Tonya was an acquired taste. I have seen her at her very best when she beat Kristi at Skate America here in Ca. in 1991. Her jumps were big and exciting but, I think you'd be surprised at how well she performed. Believe it or not, my favorite part of her program that year was actually the lyrical section in the middle. She really understood how to interpret music. Though her music choices may not have been my cup of tea, she made the most of them and the crowd went wild for her. Easily the best ovation at the event. SA LP 1991......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP3Dj0DraQ