I, Tonya | Page 12 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
You know, I think Tonya was an acquired taste. I have seen her at her very best when she beat Kristi at Skate America here in Ca. in 1991. Her jumps were big and exciting but, I think you'd be surprised at well she performed. Believe it or not, my favorite part of her program that year was actually the lyrical section in the middle. She really understood how to interpret music. Though her music choices may not have been my cup of tea, she made the most of them and the crowd went wild for her. Easily the best ovation at the event. SA LP 1991......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP3Dj0DraQ

I liked her athleticism and quirky style much more than Nancy's skating.

I honestly expected this film is going to be a cheesy one filled with all cliches and footage of "we-all-know-what-happened", so pleasantly got surprised that this film's gotten so many praises by critics.

kimi492

Final Flight
Just saw it tonight - I really really loved it. I was really surprised by how great Margot Robbie was - she really sold every mannerism of Tonya’s from when she was 15 years old to Tonya in her 40s. Allison Janney also was a scene stealer - both of them should be nominated for Oscars (in my humble opinion). The pacing was fast and fun, the CGI for the triple axel was really well done, it was darkly funny, and I cried like 3 times especially in the courtroom scene, it really was heartbreaking. I am a little biased as I’ve always felt sympathy and compassion for Tonya despite the “incident” (as they like to call it in the movie) so as figure skating fans if you go in with an open mind you will enjoy it for sure it’s very well made and superbly acted.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
espn2 is showing a 30 for 30 of Tonya Harding right now...on TV :hap57:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of you may know (although I'm sure don't care) that I am an Iggles fan, bleed green, and in fact, when posters trot out the tired old tropes about manly men, winning, and it's a sport, rely on that fact to buttress my arguments against that hoo-ha as applied to skating and skaters I like.

I follow Chris Long on Twitter. He is a DE for the Eagles, a manly man football player, funny as all get out, and his twitter feed is a hoot.

Chris just tweeted: These Tonya Harding hitmen are something else #30for30

And his manly men football followers are all telling him about "I, Tonya".

Priceless.

charlotte14

Medalist
I am sorry. Long time not on GS. I want to ask this question, is it true that in this movie they said Tonya Harding was the first woman to land 3A in competition? I saw someone said that on twitter. But I am not sure they said that in the movie? It's wrong because the first to land 3A was Midori.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I am sorry. Long time not on GS. I want to ask this question, is it true that in this movie they said Tonya Harding was the first woman to land 3A in competition? I saw someone said that on twitter. But I am not sure they said that in the movie? It's wrong because the first to land 3A was Midori.

Just saw it today - they said she was the first woman in US Figure Skating history. Not world history. They also mentioned how she was trying to be the first woman to land the 3A at the Olympics in 1992, but failed.

charlotte14

Medalist
Just saw it today - they said she was the first woman in US Figure Skating history. Not world history. They also mentioned how she was trying to be the first woman to land the 3A at the Olympics in 1992, but failed.
So in the movie they said "first in US Figure Skating history"? Thank you very much. Cause i have seen many fans got angry on Twitter when an official account said Tonya Harding was the first to land 3A in competition like "Midori Ito who?"

musicfan80

Medalist
Listened to the Icetalk interview with Paul Wylie that came out today. Wylie said some interesting comments about how he believed Tonya changed after getting involved with Jeff.

christinaskater

Medalist
Listened to the Icetalk interview with Paul Wylie that came out today. Wylie said some interesting comments about how he believed Tonya changed after getting involved with Jeff.

I am happy I got to watch this
I really believe that Tonya was innocent on this
I’m happy that this movie gives her a sort of redemption and helps us understand what she’s been through in life .

I am really happy that she is married now and has a loving husband and son.

She was truly phenomenal especially during 1991.

Sam L

Medalist
OMG this film is getting such great reviews! I hope Margot Robbie gets the Oscar, it’ll put figure skating in the headlines.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wonder if Tonya gets a piece of the box office?

I've searched for information on how much she made but, I haven't been able to lock anything down. It will depend on the contract. I remember the movie 'Mask" that starred Cher and Eric Stoltz. From what I remember, they paid his mom for her story but it was not a huge sum of money. From what I gather, she made more money from appearance fees after the movie was successful. I'm guessing Tonya will get some decent appearance fees for interviews now that the movie is getting such buzz in the media.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW: the box office is modest. Domestic Total as of Dec. 25, 2017: $1,277,167.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=itonya.htm

The latest “take” per theatre, which I think is what films use to measure success absent a wide release, was $16K per theatre according to this website. I have no idea if that is good per theatre earning compared to other per theatre takes, or not (and comparing like films to like films, rather than say “Last Jedi”.:)

I have no stake in whether it succeeds and I personally have no intention of watching it — and this has nothing to do with Tonya as a skater or a person or the merits of the movie. Pay good money to see a realistic depiction of domestic abuse? Thought that was artsy and real when I was young. I ain’t young no more, no thanks:disapp:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Oh, come on el! You're young at heart - that's what counts! :luv17: :thumbsup:

I did see I, Tonya yesterday. I was quite surprised at how full the theatre was for an early matinee. All I can say is -- Wow, I'm so glad that's not my life! Smack someone in the face first, think second? No, I don't think so! But I have to say that I DID enjoy the film, and I was amazed at how "into it" the audience was. Some of the skating sequences were especially fun.

I found myself getting caught up in wanting to feel sorry for Tonya. Will we ever see another American lady do a 3A like hers?...For me the best part is knowing that she is married and has a son and seems to have moved on to a more fulfilling life!