I, Tonya | Page 3 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

mrrice

Record Breaker
Woah, that's a flutz if I ever saw one.

That was a flutz and that's something that the real Tonya never did....When she hit them, her jumps were spectacular. Is it possible that was supposed to be a flip and was badly edited? Even a causal fan can see that was an inside edge take off.

whatif

Medalist
That was a flutz and that's something that the real Tonya never did....When she hit them, her jumps were spectacular. Is it possible that was supposed to be a flip and was badly edited? Even a causal fan can see that was an inside edge take off.

I think it more likely that they just could not find a stunt double who could do a proper lutz let alone and 3A:)

Also I think the CGI is not good as you can cleanly see that it not Robbie in some of the skating bits.

But I am still going to be first in line on the opening night.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I doubt Tonya will get invited to the Oscars for this movie unless it is a big box office success...the actress playing her (Margot Robbie) is probably not going to be nominated and it certainly won't be a Best Picture nominee. Its only real chance is with Allison Janney for being so scene-stealing. I wish the movie had been made several years ago with Amy Adams in the lead role and a more serious screenplay + director. This story/setting has more depth than the treatment it received. Fingers crossed, though, for it to still bring some returned interest to figure skating as a whole.

I'm pretty sure that if the Movie is nominated in ANY category that Tonya will be there. They may not put her on Camera but look, they have made movies about some terrible people and the movie bears her name. She will be in the audience somewhere.

icybear

Medalist
Why do they have to make the audience background so dark with huge spotlight? So unrealistic unless it's a gala ex. :laugh:

dailytg20

On the Ice
Why do they have to make the audience background so dark with huge spotlight? So unrealistic unless it's a gala ex. :laugh:
:laugh: I'm getting flashbacks from The Cutting Edge. Not only did the dude have to hammer throw his partner into the roof by her skates, they had to do it under the most dramatic Olympic free program lighting config ever!

That teaser did it's job. I cannot wait to see the full trailer, and I'm going to camp out like it's Star Wars with a pair of golden blades and a police baton when this hits my city. Even if the script doesn't hold together, it will be worth nitpicking and geeking out over stuff like the flutz. Hype! :hap85:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I keep going back and forth on whether I want to see it or not. At first I was like hells yes! Then I made the mistake of rewatching coverage of the whack and the bio's of Harding on Youtube... She is a detestable human being IMO. I might just wait until it comes out on Netflix or Hulu. I'm sure Janney will be awesome, and I wonder if Diane Rawlinson loaned her Carol Channing wig she always wore to the actress playing her (or is Diane still wearing that hilarious wig still?). But uggh, right at this moment, I'm thinking neh, I won't go to see it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZbTLdDHRvs&feature=youtu.be

Full Trailer is out! No hilarious flutzes in this version, though I am sideyeing the claim that Tonya was the best figure skater in the world. She skated in the same era as Midori Ito and Kristi Yamaguchi, that's a bit of a stretch... But I guess a little dramatic hyperbole isn't out of this film's wheelhouse.

The thing about Tonya was that at one point, she did defeat every skater in the World. Including and Kristi, Nancy, and Midori Ito. The problem is, she never beat them all at the same event. She beat Kristi and Nancy at Nationals. Then, she beat Midori and Nancy at Worlds but lost the Gold to Kristi whom she had beaten 3 weeks earlier. The more trailers I see from this movie, I have to wonder how she ever got as far as she did with a Mother like that.

When I saw Tonya at Skate America in 1991, she was by far the best lady and the event. I don't know if Kristi was sick but, she was slow, had small jumps, and just looked scared when I saw her. She lost to Tonya and IMO, should have lost to Lulu as well. I still find it shocking how Tonya seemed to lose her jumps between Skate America and Nationals that season?

icetigger

On the Ice
The thing about Tonya was that at one point, she did defeat every skater in the World. Including and Kristi, Nancy, and Midori Ito. The problem is, she never beat them all at the same event. She beat Kristi and Nancy at Nationals. Then, she beat Midori and Nancy at Worlds but lost the Gold to Kristi whom she had beaten 3 weeks earlier. The more trailers I see from this movie, I have to wonder how she ever got as far as she did with a Mother like that.

When I saw Tonya at Skate America in 1991, she was by far the best lady and the event. I don't know if Kristi was sick but, she was slow, had small jumps, and just looked scared when I saw her. She lost to Tonya and IMO, should have lost to Lulu. I still find it shocking how Tonya seemed to lose her jumps between Skate America and Nationals that season?

I think it's hard to label Tonya as the best skater of that time period when she never landed a clean triple-triple. Kristi Yamaguchi did; and Midori did triple-toe-triple-toes over a period of about ten years, and also landed triple-lutz-triples toes in competition, plus there is footage of her landing both triple flips-triple toes and triple axel-triple toes in practice. Also, Midori landed her first at the age of twelve. Can you really label another skater not able to do something she did consistently from the age of twelve, and which is a now a standard within the sport, as the better skater? The line about Tonya being the best skater in the world is there to sell the film...... There's a lot of Americanist revisionism around Tonya, in line with this film; but even the ultra Americanist Scott Hamilton stated at the time that Midori was a better jumper than Tonya https://youtu.be/rafV3pPOwdM?t=3m7s. And of course with Tonya we are really only talking about the nine month window in which she landed 4 triple axels, rather than the seven year window in which Midori landed 21 or so.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The fact Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are in this movie is what gives it a broader audience appeal. IMO, very few people would care about this movie 25 years after the fact if these actresses weren't involved. IMO, it is the high caliber cast and Margot's hard work and getting herself to look and SOUND like Tonya, that makes me want to see this movie. Margot has a thick Australian accent that she masked and from what I understand, this movie doesn't seek sympathy for Tonya. From what I've read and seen, what they try to do is tell her side of the story and let the viewer decide for themselves. I couldn't imagine being screamed at by my chain smoking, alcoholic, non- skating mother. Allison Janney is so good in these trailers and if that's what Tonya's mother was really like, no wonder she ran into the arms of the first person who told her she was pretty and was nice to her.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it's hard to label Tonya as the best skater of that time period when she never landed a clean triple-triple. Kristi Yamaguchi did; and Midori did triple-toe-triple-toes over a period of about ten years, and also landed triple-lutz-triples toes in competition, plus there is footage of her landing both triple flips-triple toes and triple axel-triple toes in practice. Also, Midori landed her first at the age of twelve. Can you really label another skater not able to do something she did consistently from the age of twelve, and which is a now a standard within the sport, as the better skater? The line about Tonya being the best skater in the world is there to sell the film...... There's a lot of Americanist revisionism around Tonya, in line with this film; but even the ultra Americanist Scott Hamilton stated at the time that Midori was a better jumper than Tonya https://youtu.be/rafV3pPOwdM?t=3m7s. And of course with Tonya we are really only talking about the nine month window in which she landed 4 triple axels, rather than the seven year window in which Midori landed 21 or so.

I'm just saying....At Worlds in 1991, Kristi won the gold, Tonya won the silver, and Midori was 4th. Once Tonya defeated reigning World Champion Kristi, in the fall of 1991, she was arguably, the best female skater in World. Unfortunately, that victory seemed to go to her head and she never skated that well again.....She met Jeff around that time and began to skip practice, and like her mom, drank and smoked.