I, Tonya | Page 6 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is not related to the movie, but singer songwriter Sufjan Stevens wrote a song called Tonya Harding. He even wrote an essay about her and the song!

http://asthmatickitty.com/tonya-harding/

I admit, early drafts of this song contained more than a few puns, punch lines and light-hearted jabs—sex tapes and celebrity boxing make for an entertaining narrative arc. But the more I edited, and the more I meditated, and the more I considered the wholeness of the person of Tonya Harding, I began to feel a conviction to write something with dignity and grace, to pull back the ridiculous tabloid fodder and take stock of the real story of this strange and magnificent America hero. At the end of the day, Tonya Harding was just an ordinary woman with extraordinary talent and a tireless work ethic who set out to do her very best. She did that and more. I hope the same can be said of us all.

Sufjan Stevens is one of my favorite artists so I am amazed to see my two major loves intersect!

The song is beautiful.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Tonya is definitely petite. She was listed as 5 ft tall, ~95 lbs in the late 80s (i saw on youtube).

I saw in one vid nancy and tonya standing next to each other on the ice. Tonya was small but had a lot of muscle tone. Chopping wood will do that to you.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tonya is definitely petite. She was listed as 5 ft tall, ~95 lbs in the late 80s (i saw on youtube).

I saw in one vid nancy and tonya standing next to each other on the ice. Tonya was small but had a lot of muscle tone. Chopping wood will do that to you.

I have seen Tonya in person and she was absolutely tiny. So was Kristi Yamaguchi, I am only 5' 9" and I towered over both of them when I went backstage at Skate America in 1991. I think Tonya, due to her muscularity appears taller but, that's just an illusion. Frankly, Lulu was the skater who appeared to be smallest because she was so thin. If Tonya only weighed 95lbs, I bet Lulu was like 89lbs. She was tiny...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner, More Figure Skaters Discuss Tonya Harding and I, Tonya Ahead of Winter Olympics

http://people.com/sports/olympic-figure-skaters-on-tonya-harding-nancy-kerrigan-movie/

Includes video.

I loved that clip......The skaters were very honest about their feelings and I agree with them, especially Mirai........I have such mixed feelings about Tonya because she truly dazzled me when I saw her live in 1991. I DO plan to see this movie but, it won't change my mind about what she did......Nancy was hardly a consistent skater and I think Tonya could have beaten her if she'd had better programs.....My problem with Tonya in 1994 was that her programs, and costuming were not Olympic Quality.....Especially her LP costume.....It just screamed.... I live in a trailer.

kimi492

Final Flight
It only has one release date though - December 8th - it doesn't say anything about limited release? I live in Georgia and its not playing anywhere here

anyanka

Record Breaker
It only has one release date though - December 8th - it doesn't say anything about limited release? I live in Georgia and its not playing anywhere here

That's the plan in order to qualify it for the Academy Awards next year. The Oscar rules state that a film has to play in LA during the calendar year for a minimum of one week to qualify for awards eligibility. They could keep it to a limited audience there and in NY just to meet this rule, and then wait for the rest of the holiday films to play out (everyone and their dog will be at Star Wars for the coming month), so that when it goes into wider release in January / February, it will capitalize on Oscar nominations when they come out. Lots of films follow the limited release pattern. This is what they've also done for other "awards-bait" films like Call Me By Your Name. At least this way the big holiday films will come and go, then by January everyone is ready for the films that tend to do well at awards seasons.

For I, Tonya, I read somewhere that this isn't a big holiday draw, and keeping it to a limited release to build awards buzz is the intention, then release it widely when it reaches peak public attention. Plus, it makes sense to build interest in the lead-up to the Olympics, so that it would capitalize on the sudden focus on winter sports and figure skating, which should put butts into seats in the multiplexes.

I did check IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and the Wiki sites, and couldn't find a date for the wide release. They'll likely post that in the coming weeks. I was lucky enough to see it earlier this year at a film festival. And it did play at a film festival in Savannah, GA in early November: http://deadline.com/2017/10/scad-film-festival-2017-lineup-movies-1202179796/, and the reception was amazing (from a friend who attended and loved it).

Let us know when you find it and get to go! Hope that helps!

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Tyle czekania :drama: No ale prawie wszędzie w Europie premiery są w późnym lutym/ wczesnym marcu.

Jedyny plus mieszkania w Bydgoszczy - Festiwal Camerimage :biggrin: I, Tonya mam już za sobą

Fortunately I had a chance to see this movie 3 weeks ago at Polish Movie Festival called Camerimage. First of all the mood of the movie is really specific balancing between dark humour and burlesque. Margot Robbie was great just like Allison Janney. My problem with this movie is that I hate when creators try to make victim out of perpetrators and it's what this movie does: you feel sorry for Tonya and you see her as one of those who got hurt. Anyway I recommend this movie because it's really entertaining.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was just talking with some of my dance friends and it seems they are not as excited as I am about this movie.....I'm going to see it no matter what....Cut to me with a tub of popcorn sitting by myself.......:disapp:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Jedyny plus mieszkania w Bydgoszczy - Festiwal Camerimage :biggrin: I, Tonya mam już za sobą

Fortunately I had a chance to see this movie 3 weeks ago at Polish Movie Festival called Camerimage. First of all the mood of the movie is really specific balancing between dark humour and burlesque. Margot Robbie was great just like Allison Janney. My problem with this movie is that I hate when creators try to make victim out of perpetrators and it's what this movie does: you feel sorry for Tonya and you see her as one of those who got hurt. Anyway I recommend this movie because it's really entertaining.

I heard great things about Camerimage, it's very prestigious! Yes we film buffs know about it here in the Americas, too. :) Glad you got to see it. I do agree that it is sympathetic towards her, even though she is unapologetic and doesn't take responsibility. It is a complicated issue and there are lots of people in the skating world who want nothing to do with her and refuse to see it.

Now, the question is: will Tonya Harding show up AT THE OSCARS??!!? The film is expected to land a few nominations, likely Best Actress, Supporting Actress, Hair / Make-up (possibly editing? An outside shot at Best Picture if it picks up steam?). It's not out of the question for her to go. Heck, in 2014 Ashley Wagner went and her date was Adam Rippon.

Bcash

Final Flight
What?? What makes LA and NY so special

mumble grumble mumble

It's just for its awards chances, as LA and NY are where most awards organizations and critics groups are based. Most awards season films employ this release strategy.
A lot of people are predicting an Oscar nom for Robbie now.

On another note, I wonder what Kerrigan is feeling about all this Harding "redemption" in pop culture.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I heard great things about Camerimage, it's very prestigious! Yes we film buffs know about it here in the Americas, too. :) Glad you got to see it. I do agree that it is sympathetic towards her, even though she is unapologetic and doesn't take responsibility. It is a complicated issue and there are lots of people in the skating world who want nothing to do with her and refuse to see it.

Now, the question is: will Tonya Harding show up AT THE OSCARS??!!? The film is expected to land a few nominations, likely Best Actress, Supporting Actress, Hair / Make-up (possibly editing? An outside shot at Best Picture if it picks up steam?). It's not out of the question for her to go. Heck, in 2014 Ashley Wagner went and her date was Adam Rippon.

I think the fact that she's already been to every premiere tells us that she will definitely be there.....