I, Tonya | Page 7 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's just for its awards chances, as LA and NY are where most awards organizations and critics groups are based. Most awards season films employ this release strategy.
A lot of people are predicting an Oscar nom for Robbie now.

Also: a LOT of the voters in the industry who choose the nominees are based in LA / NY, so it would reach them. Studios do screenings for films just for Academy members (via my friends in Hollywood who tell me this), and if they don't or can't get to them, they can go to a cinema not too far away. Studios do send screener DVDs to voters / members of the Academy who are not in those two cities, e.g. British members who live in London, productions in Canada (Toronto / Vancouver are the two major cinema hubs up here), and other foreign Academy members like Marion Cotillard, Audrey Tautou, Juliette Binoche and Kristin Scott Thomas, all of whom are based in Paris along with the winning team from 2011 Best Picture winner The Artist. But the concentration seems to be on cities where the film industries are based, so that it captures the largest concentration of professionals and critics, at least geographically.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fact that she's already been to every premiere tells us that she will definitely be there.....

I did see her just yesterday all over the news posing with the cast at the premiere!

mrrice

Record Breaker
That would be the Elaine Zayak of the Zayak rule, who caused the ISU to make a new rule about repeated jumps because they didn't like the direction she was taking figure skating? OK.

Yes, that's her!!!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Jedyny plus mieszkania w Bydgoszczy - Festiwal Camerimage :biggrin: I, Tonya mam już za sobą

Fortunately I had a chance to see this movie 3 weeks ago at Polish Movie Festival called Camerimage. First of all the mood of the movie is really specific balancing between dark humour and burlesque. Margot Robbie was great just like Allison Janney. My problem with this movie is that I hate when creators try to make victim out of perpetrators and it's what this movie does: you feel sorry for Tonya and you see her as one of those who got hurt. Anyway I recommend this movie because it's really entertaining.

I live (and skate) in Portland and interact with a lot of people who knew Tonya. While no one will ever really know what happened with the Nancy/Tonya situation, I do feel sorry for Tonya. If everyone gets a deck of cards to start life with she was dealt a bunch of crappy ones and one ace. I don't know how you grow up normal with the home life she had.

I think it's okay to feel sorry for people, even people you see as perpetrators. It doesn't mean you agree with them or what they did, but Tonya is complicated. I wasn't going to see the movie at first because I didn't want to see it if Diane or Dody were portrayed negatively but since that doesn't seem to be the case I will probably go. It will be really weird to see people I know portrayed in a film.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Also: a LOT of the voters in the industry who choose the nominees are based in LA / NY, so it would reach them. Studios do screenings for films just for Academy members (via my friends in Hollywood who tell me this), and if they don't or can't get to them, they can go to a cinema not too far away. Studios do send screener DVDs to voters / members of the Academy who are not in those two cities, e.g. British members who live in London, productions in Canada (Toronto / Vancouver are the two major cinema hubs up here), and other foreign Academy members like Marion Cotillard, Audrey Tautou, Juliette Binoche and Kristin Scott Thomas, all of whom are based in Paris along with the winning team from 2011 Best Picture winner The Artist. But the concentration seems to be on cities where the film industries are based, so that it captures the largest concentration of professionals and critics, at least geographically.

- - - Updated - - -

I did see her just yesterday all over the news posing with the cast at the premiere!

That's not where they'll have the most viewers. Academy members number in low thousands (I think it's somewhere around 6-7000). But every member of the Screen Actors Guild will get a dvd of the movie, and they number in the tens of thousands (I have friends in the Guild). Actors are the single largest voting bloc of the Academy, so they are fiercely courted.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jedyny plus mieszkania w Bydgoszczy - Festiwal Camerimage :biggrin: I, Tonya mam już za sobą

Fortunately I had a chance to see this movie 3 weeks ago at Polish Movie Festival called Camerimage. First of all the mood of the movie is really specific balancing between dark humour and burlesque. Margot Robbie was great just like Allison Janney. My problem with this movie is that I hate when creators try to make victim out of perpetrators and it's what this movie does: you feel sorry for Tonya and you see her as one of those who got hurt. Anyway I recommend this movie because it's really entertaining.

Agree. Because to me there's a difference between wanting to sympathize with someone and recognizing the hardships someone has endured, and glorifying criminal and/or unethical actions. I haven't seen the movie and the movie itself may not glorify Tonya, but the buzz surrounding the movie does seem to. I mean, the entertainment news clip linked with Elaine Zayak leads with, "Tonya Harding, HERO?" and ends with talking about all the applause she's getting.

That would be the Elaine Zayak of the Zayak rule, who caused the ISU to make a new rule about repeated jumps because they didn't like the direction she was taking figure skating? OK.

Hmm. As for Elaine, she is a World Champion and World silver medalist, of course, so even if she utilized a strategy that was quickly thwarted by TPTB, I hardly think that diminishes her opinion here ??? or makes it in any way equivalent to Tonya's actions??? I mean, I don't see repeating a jump as some kind of big dark mark on skating (which is how Elaine described the Tonya/Nancy situation). But maybe I'm just misreading your statement. :scratch2:

Anyway it sounds like the movie is well done and I hope I get the chance to see it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Agree. Because to me there's a difference between wanting to sympathize with someone and recognizing the hardships someone has endured, and glorifying criminal and/or unethical actions. I haven't seen the movie and the movie itself may not glorify Tonya, but the buzz surrounding the movie does seem to. I mean, the entertainment news clip linked with Elaine Zayak leads with, "Tonya Harding, HERO?" and ends with talking about all the applause she's getting.

Hmm. As for Elaine, she is a World Champion and World silver medalist, of course, so even if she utilized a strategy that was quickly thwarted by TPTB, I hardly think that diminishes her opinion here ??? or makes it in any way equivalent to Tonya's actions??? I mean, I don't see repeating a jump as some kind of big dark mark on skating (which is how Elaine described the Tonya/Nancy situation). But maybe I'm just misreading your statement. :scratch2:

Anyway it sounds like the movie is well done and I hope I get the chance to see it.

Here's the thing. I respect Elaine's talent and really gave her a ton of respect when she made that comeback in 1994. I don't think Elaine had seen the movie when she made her comment. Literally everyone who has seen it says, they don't forgive Tonya or Jeff but, I think they understand her a bit better. I guess we can have a real discussion once the movie comes out and we've all seen it.

brightphoton

Medalist
It's just for its awards chances, as LA and NY are where most awards organizations and critics groups are based. Most awards season films employ this release strategy.
A lot of people are predicting an Oscar nom for Robbie now.

On another note, I wonder what Kerrigan is feeling about all this Harding "redemption" in pop culture.

People wanted to be sympathetic to Nancy, but darn it, she didn't make it easy. Remember her, ahem, not entirely successful endorsement with Disney after winning her silver medal?.

Give me Tonya's redemption story any day.

Inessence

Rinkside
I live (and skate) in Portland and interact with a lot of people who knew Tonya. While no one will ever really know what happened with the Nancy/Tonya situation, I do feel sorry for Tonya. If everyone gets a deck of cards to start life with she was dealt a bunch of crappy ones and one ace. I don't know how you grow up normal with the home life she had.

I think it's okay to feel sorry for people, even people you see as perpetrators. It doesn't mean you agree with them or what they did, but Tonya is complicated. I wasn't going to see the movie at first because I didn't want to see it if Diane or Dody were portrayed negatively but since that doesn't seem to be the case I will probably go. It will be really weird to see people I know portrayed in a film.

So I take it neither coach had any contact with the producers and it’s just Tonya’s view of them? Have they been estranged from Tonya? I’ve read she’s been out skating again.

ozmodiar

On the Ice
The movie's twitter says more theaters will be added 12/22 and then it will open nationwide in January.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's LA/NY on Friday and I think everywhere else in January and later.

Doesn't reach the UK until towards the end of February. Here are the details on the British Board Of Film Classification website:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/i-tonya-2017

And I very much doubt if it will be shown in my local cinema. Yes, it has 5 screens, but figure skating is practically unknown around here. I can't see there being enough demand for them to consider showing it.

Nah, they'll be concentrating on films that will get more bums on seats. Like "Fifity Shades Freed", which is arriving earlier in February.

But, I still live in hope...

EDIT: Just realised that the UK release date (23[SUP]rd[/SUP] February) is the day of the Ladies FS in Pyeongchang. So, a lot of cinemas that wouldn't normally show something like this might jump on the Olympic bandwagon and show it while figure skating is in people's minds.​

CaroLiza_fan

mrrice

Record Breaker
People wanted to be sympathetic to Nancy, but darn it, she didn't make it easy. Remember her, ahem, not entirely successful endorsement with Disney after winning her silver medal?.

Give me Tonya's redemption story any day.

I remember that.....I never knew what to make of Nancy. I did feel sorry for her but, she just wasn't my cup of tea. I will say much, She's been through some rough times in her life. Not only the Incident but, the death of her father at the hands of her brother must have been so hard for the family to deal with.

anyanka

Record Breaker
That's not where they'll have the most viewers. Academy members number in low thousands (I think it's somewhere around 6-7000). But every member of the Screen Actors Guild will get a dvd of the movie, and they number in the tens of thousands (I have friends in the Guild). Actors are the single largest voting bloc of the Academy, so they are fiercely courted.

Excellent point. Most of them still tend to be in LA / NY though, and although SAG has literally tens of thousands of members, far fewer of them are in the Academy. Still, your point about them making up the single largest voting bloc in the Academy is well taken and key.

I'm looking forward to seeing who SAG nominates in their awards next week!

JustMe

On the Ice
I watched the film last night, and won't say much as to not influence others who may decide to watch it, just that I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would! It's a funny and tragic, and well done film, with superb acting. I wasn't expecting to shed tears for Tonya's character, twice! But I blame several TV shows over the past decade or so which have conditioned me to sympathize and even root for the anti-heroes and villains, and I extended the sentiment to Tonya during the film .. :slink:

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Looks so good, can't wait to see it. So unusual and exciting to have a figure-skating related movie at the center of critical attention during award season.

ks777

Record Breaker
can't wait to see the movie!! I started watching figure skating in the 80's so I know what happened but still excited!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Congrats to the team on three Golden Globes nominations and five Critics Choice Awards! Margot just won Best Actress from the San Francisco Film Critics Circle, a smaller group, but still a worthy citation.

Now to see if they get nominations from the very influential Screen Actors Guild Awards, they're announced tomorrow.