Why are there only 6 basic jumps? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why are there only 6 basic jumps?

Elsie

Rinkside
I didn't expect this thread to attract so much attention as it's only my first ever thread, and I hadn't even posted on this forum before. The answer to my original question also seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought. Unless it's me who is complicating things?

I will have a look at the Edges and Turns thread then by gkelly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is my very first post ever on this forum and I'm not a skater myself, but I would like to know why there are only six basic jumps: salchow, loop, toe-loop, flip, lutz and axel.

I understand that it has something to do with take-off edges and such, but wouldn't there be any room for more jumps, perhaps of a totally different kind? I remember the back-flip (made famous by Surya Bonaly) but that one was banned because it's considered too dangerous.

I can see how skaters are trying to make the existing jumps more complicated by adding extra revolutions, tanos and rippons. But what about other possible jumps (it doesn't even have to be jumps per se)?

It would be so exciting if figure skating also evolved in totally different ways instead of simply perfecting what's already there.

Because the madness had to end somewhere. ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Would definitely love to see these unusual moves given a worthwhile point value in the scoring system. Wouldn't be hard to update the rules to allow for them. Perhaps someday...

Leonardo

Final Flight
What about jump combinations? Has the sport maxed out there as well? For instance, would it be possible to jump a quad as a second jump in a combo? Probably not. Or maybe some kind of transitional element between two jumps that is not currently being performed. The only one I can think of that is common, is the Euler (half loop).

Shoma can do 2a-4t and a 3a-4t
2a-4t https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTvflEKwZ_Q
3a-4t at 01:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mtRcGSxpic