Height on jumps | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Height on jumps

macy

Record Breaker
I think the tiny jumps are because she's naturally a clockwise jumper, but since the JSF doesn't allow this, had to learn counter-clockwise jumps. Thus, they're smaller.

JSF actually doesn't allow that?? anyone know why? I can't imagine how difficult that would be to learn it your "bad way" and have to do it forever! that would take so much extra effort and time...

gkelly

Record Breaker
JSF actually doesn't allow that?? anyone know why?

I doubt that the federation has any rules about direction of rotation. (If any posters who can find and read their rules can demonstrate otherwise, please do.)

I think it's more about what happens in the practice rinks, how the coaches teach, that make it too inconvenient for them to teach clockwise jumps. Or too inconvenient for skaters to practice them on crowded practice sessions. But the federation doesn't control what happens in practice.

We don't see any clockwise jumpers from Russia or China either. Those federations (especially in Soviet days for Russia) probably had more control over how coaches coached than JSF does.

Carolina Kostner has worked with Mishin lately, so he must be capable of working with clockwise jumpers. Any other examples?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I doubt that the federation has any rules about direction of rotation. (If any posters who can find and read their rules can demonstrate otherwise, please do.)

I think it's more about what happens in the practice rinks, how the coaches teach, that make it too inconvenient for them to teach clockwise jumps. Or too inconvenient for skaters to practice them on crowded practice sessions. But the federation doesn't control what happens in practice.

We don't see any clockwise jumpers from Russia or China either. Those federations (especially in Soviet days for Russia) probably had more control over how coaches coached than JSF does.

Carolina Kostner has worked with Mishin lately, so he must be capable of working with clockwise jumpers. Any other examples?

It has nothing to do with the federation at all, only with how practices go and how many skaters are at the rink at the same time. In Russia, children skate in groups (there can be like 20 children at the same time), usually the coach gives them all a task (like, 10 single axels in a row or something like that) and they skate around the rink one after the other doing it. There aren't many clockwise jumpers on any level, and when there's one skater in a group who rotates in different direction than the others but do the same task as them at the same time, it might cause troubles and even injuries as he/she clearly disturbs other skaters. That's the main reason why there are not clockwise jumpers in Russia. I don't know how it works in Japan, but I've heard their rinks are very crowded, so maybe it's the same.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
JSF actually doesn't allow that?? anyone know why? I can't imagine how difficult that would be to learn it your "bad way" and have to do it forever! that would take so much extra effort and time...
Similar to Lucky Star's post about Russia above - If you ever watch video of young Japanese skaters at their skate school practice/coaching sessions, you will see that it is simply unfeasible at most rinks, to have skaters who go "the other way".

Ice time is limited, rinks are usually not dedicated to FS training, and there so many skaters... they all have to skate their exercises in circuits like a "train" or "production line". They do whatever exercises at certain parts of the rink/circuit, do jumps at this part of circuit etc.

There isn't room to have part of the rink set aside for a few people to go "the other way", and it would be dangerous to let them skate with the others "against the flow"- so skaters like Miyahara simply learn at an early age to jump/spin in the same direction as everyone else, instead of their "natural" direction...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie especially early in her career had an insane 3lz 3t combo. Check out the height she got on it at Junior Worlds. How i wish Frank didn't hold back her jumps when she was with him. Only Yuna at the time had a better 3lz 3t and no one now does. Great height and rotation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV3CUevgUyE Her 3-3 at Nationals was great too with maybe one of the biggest lutzes ever in the ice that it covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVFz8W9cWo

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Gracie especially early in her career had an insane 3lz 3t combo. Check out the height she got on it at Junior Worlds. How i wish Frank didn't hold back her jumps when she was with him. Only Yuna at the time had a better 3lz 3t and no one now does. Great height and rotation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV3CUevgUyE Her 3-3 at Nationals was great too with maybe one of the biggest lutzes ever in the ice that it covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVFz8W9cWo

Wow! For me her 3lz-3T was even better than Yuna's. Even her 2A-3T was also great.

Superhero

Spectator

We actually used computer software to compare jumps among the ladies and men a few years back. A russian had by 10cm marginal the highest jump. Sotnikova I think. Gold had not so much height on her jumps but covered a great lenght of ice that made her jumps look impressive. Depends on what you like, long jump or high jump :) This was like back in 2013 or 14, I'm sure there were higher jumps performed both previously and afterwards.. Just saying, don't let your eyes fool you....

ks777

Record Breaker
I thought Wakaba's 3lutz would be a lot higher....but she does them in combos so that might be why it's lower.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
We actually used computer software to compare jumps among the ladies and men a few years back. A russian had by 10cm marginal the highest jump. Sotnikova I think. Gold had not so much height on her jumps but covered a great lenght of ice that made her jumps look impressive. Depends on what you like, long jump or high jump :) This was like back in 2013 or 14, I'm sure there were higher jumps performed both previously and afterwards.. Just saying, don't let your eyes fool you....

Yeah, for my eyes Adelina had the highest jump back then when she was at her best (which was rarely, to be fair). Gracie was also impressive tho

russianfan

Match Penalty
there is a new article about pairs

they also provided some updates about single skaters in the current season:
1) Tsurskaya's 3Lz is now about 59cm (it was 55cm)
2) Sotskova's 3F is now about 52cm (was 47cm)
3) Zagitova's rotation speed on 3Lo has decreased to 4.7 (was 5.0)
4) Tuktamysheva's 3Lz is 60cm
5) Kolyada's 4Lz became even higher - now its 85cm (was 78cm)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Is the general consensus 5.5 rps to have a chance at getting quads if they also have decent height? if not what is it? *summons Shayuki to the thread*

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist