Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018?

daphna

On the Ice
Let's say Skating God has blessed Kostner with perfect technique, skating skill, artistry, and longevity, even the love of the judges,
God does take something back though, consistency... it's like a curse to her.

yet she won 5 European titles, a world title (without the lutz), and had the skate of her life to finally win the long awaited olympic medal (with a perfect lutz). Carolina has done everyting, really. had she been a more consistent skater, she would have quit years ago. i love the course of her carrer and her longevity.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If Kostner wins olympics with that program, maybe girls will not try 3A, quad and hard 3-3 anymore.

Lu Chen at 1996 Worlds + Michelle Kwan at 1996 Worlds + 1998 Nationals + 1998 World Pro + 2002 Nationals + 2003 Worlds all deserve to outscore any performance we saw from a lady last season or this season. What they display in those performances is more important than having a Triple-Triple. The perfection of presentation and immaculate musicality is more important than 1 extra rotation in a jump.

Problem is, Kostner currently doesn't have the same level of jump content as those Ladies in the 90's and her programs and performances are not as good. Hence the rage for her scores. And Medvedeva just gets the same PCS anyway, so Kostner can't actually beat her that way even if she deserves to. Kostner won't win unless she puts 3Flip+3Toe in both programs, plus a Lutz in the LP (except for the unlikely event of her skating totally clean with watered down content while every other top competitor has multiple big mistakes).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What they display in those performances is more important than having a Triple-Triple. The perfection of presentation and immaculate musicality is more important than 1 extra rotation in a jump.

That's why i said that technical difficulties would not be the most important. Kostner's program as an OGM program, could make ladies practice more on artistic.

Kostner won't win unless she puts 3Flip+3Toe in both programs, plus a Lutz in the LP (except for the unlikely event of her skating totally clean with watered down content while every other top competitor has multiple big mistakes).

And that's why i said that skating gods are with her.

moriel

Record Breaker
That's why i said that technical difficulties would not be the most important. Kostner's program as an OGM program, could make ladies practice more on artistic.

Not really, because we see many very artistic ladies not getting those PCs, and many ladies who are not artistic at all getting those kind of PCs.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Not really, because we see many very artistic ladies not getting those PCs, and many ladies who are not artistic at all getting those kind of PCs.

Yeah. And after a full quad or half a quad spent believing that everyone one can get the same treatment, they will quietly go back to jumps. It will be just another 2010-2012 period (one of the worst of ladies figure skating)

But i know (hope) that this won't be the scenario. It's just my bad fantasia .

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
Carolina's skating is filled with highlights. She has transitions- for example, that hop she does before her double axel in the short program this season. She also has the hardest footwork in the sport- for example, her footwork in the Bolero long program is the best I have ever seen technically as well as matched with the music. She has amazing skating skills- as good as Patrick Chan. She has amazing choreography- Lori Nichol is genius. And she also has amazing intepretation from years of skating professionally.

Don't get it twisted

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
At best, Kostner replacing a 2A pass with a 3Lz would be worth 2.7 in base value points. So it's not worth that much, even more so if she's not confident in that jump which she clearly isn't. That said, we know she can do an amazing one.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Lu Chen at 1996 Worlds + Michelle Kwan at 1996 Worlds + 1998 Nationals + 1998 World Pro + 2002 Nationals + 2003 Worlds all deserve to outscore any performance we saw from a lady last season or this season. What they display in those performances is more important than having a Triple-Triple. The perfection of presentation and immaculate musicality is more important than 1 extra rotation in a jump.

To be fair, if presentation and musicality were rewarded as much as transitions and busy choreography, Evgenia's programs would look a lot different. Same with Alina, who wouldn't backload her programs if there were no incentive to do so.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At best, Kostner replacing a 2A pass with a 3Lz would be worth 2.7 in base value points. So it's not worth that much, even more so if she's not confident in that jump which she clearly isn't. That said, we know she can do an amazing one.

Not quite...
If i am not mistaken she does
3f-2t
3f
3loop
2a-2t
2a-1/2loop-3s
3t
3s

Her repeated jumps now are flip and salchow, with 2 double axels.

She would then need to do a 2a-3t (if she doesn't get back her 3f-3t) and add the 3 lutz. So, in this new upgraded layout as a 2t would go, and it's only worth 1.3, she gains a whopping 4.7... and of course, with that new content, 7 triples, with the two "fancy" double axel combos, she would be pretty much at par with everyone out there.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Not quite...
If i am not mistaken she does
3f-2t
3f
3loop
2a-2t
2a-1/2loop-3s
3t
3s

Her repeated jumps now are flip and salchow, with 2 double axels.

She would then need to do a 2a-3t (if she doesn't get back her 3f-3t) and add the 3 lutz. So, in this new upgraded layout as a 2t would go, and it's only worth 1.3, she gains a whopping 4.7... and of course, with that new content, 7 triples, with the two "fancy" double axel combos, she would be pretty much at par with everyone out there.

True, if she opts to do a 3T instead for either the 2A+2T or 3F+2T. She would need to rearrange the patterns for some of the jumps so that she opens with the 3Lz (most likely), but it's possible.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Aljona Savchenko has posted a live story from the ice rink in oberstdorf on instagram today.

You could see Carolina practicing her Free program performaning a brilliant 3Lz as her first jump.

Sorry no link. It was a live story.

jiggs

On the Ice
Looks like she is planning on adding the Lutz at the GPF. This video was posted by Aljona Savchenko today: https://twitter.com/pogosplat/status/935930260570427395

Looks as effortless as ever and she has a lot more transitions going into it than ever before! Let's hope she can pull it off at the GPF. This makes me wonder what the rest of her layout will look like?

Leppis

On the Ice
Looks like she is planning on adding the Lutz at the GPF. This video was posted by Aljona Savchenko today: https://twitter.com/pogosplat/status/935930260570427395

Looks as effortless as ever and she has a lot more transitions going into it than ever before! Let's hope she can pull it off at the GPF. This makes me wonder what the rest of her layout will look like?

The entrance is not as pretty as before, but I'll still take it. Imagine if she had the lutz and 3-3! I wonder what her points would be then.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

That looked really nice! The transitions before make it look effortless and well integrated into the choreography, a lot more than her current flips. Her intended layout may very well be:
3Lz
3F+3T (maybe in the future, for the moment she'll surely stick to a 2T)
3Lo
-
3T+2T
2A+1Lo+3S
2A
3S
This seems to me the option which is most compatible with the structure we've seen of her FS. It would be almost identical in content with what she had in 2014, but with two 2As (the difference in BV for the jumps alone is more or less 43.78 (with today's BV and assuming a 2T+2Lo combo) vs 44.35, which is not really that significant)

Ender

Match Penalty

If she does 3lz at GPF, the possibility for mistakes is high.